Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Tbh I think that there is good money in rearing heifer calves and selling the surplus as calved milkers- you’ll have far superior genetics and it allows you to choose the nicer more productive and efficient to keep
    I’m even going serving 40 Angus heifers with the best genetics from my herd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Heifer calves are good money this year I believe? Have a few extra here to sell
    What are you expecting for them ? Sold 15 heifers calves last week think I may have let them off 2 cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

You're too late!! :D

Bought em off an old workplace of yours.

Ah good stuff, you'd have to go a fair distance to get anything nearly as good as those

trixi2011 wrote: »
    What are you expecting for them ? Sold 15 heifers calves last week think I may have let them off 2 cheap

Good heifer calves are making 7-800 euro

stanflt wrote: »
    Would have been a more comerial type animal than your working with I would think

• Advertisement

Tbh I think that there is good money in rearing heifer calves and selling the surplus as calved milkers- you’ll have far superior genetics and it allows you to choose the nicer more productive and efficient to keep

Yes ideally but that's a big draw on cash and no one knows what the heifer market will be like in 2 years time
    Still rearing a few extra so will still have a choice

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Would have been a more comerial type animal than your working with I would think

Mine are commercial high ebi animals- no different to x Breds etc in terms of fertility or solids

Yes ideally but that's a big draw on cash and no one knows what the heifer market will be like in 2 years time
    Still rearing a few extra so will still have a choice

The aim next year is to have one female calf to every cow number- so that will be 1.7replacements per milking cow- no body said rearing calves was cheap but the milking cow should leave enough more to rear 1.5 replacements and drawings

• Registered Users Posts: 29,182 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The aim next year is to have one female calf to every cow number- so that will be 1.7replacements per milking cow- no body said rearing calves was cheap but the milking cow should leave enough more to rear 1.5 replacements and drawings

Do you still have the beef cattle?

Great if you have the free cash and the land to do
    We're paying someone to rear them, it's a big enough bill every month

My aim for now is to bring in 20% or less heifers into the herd for a few years to let it mature a bit, loosing out on milk solids with so many young cows

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do you still have the beef cattle?

Yeah there going to carry the next generation of the dairy herd- putting them all in calf

Great if you have the free cash and the land to do
    We're paying someone to rear them, it's a big enough bill every month

My aim for now is to bring in 20% or less heifers into the herd for a few years to let it mature a bit, loosing out on milk solids with so many young cows

I’d say it more to Irish genetics than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

That's a hard sell Stan even with your stock. 500 seems to be the max for 3 week old heifer calves. You might get more for older ones though. Sold a few calves with good figures and all ai bred.... There's alot of people looking for 400-500 for stock bull heifers. So you never know you could hit 700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

blackdog1 wrote: »
    That's a hard sell Stan even with your stock. 500 seems to be the max for 3 week old heifer calves. You might get more for older ones though. Sold a few calves with good figures and all ai bred.... There's alot of people looking for 400-500 for stock bull heifers. So you never know you could hit 700

I'll be selling a few, thought 300 would be good, ai bred herd is middle of the road :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Delaval21

Are the Angus heifers in calf to FR or are they FR heifers in calf to angus

Delaval21 wrote: »

Angus will carry Fresian

Delaval21 wrote: »

Angus will carry Fresian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Angus will carry Fresian

Carry full freisian or the impending calves will be 3 quarters freisian? Quarter Angus.

I’d say it more to Irish genetics than anything

Sorry, don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I presume the aa are incalf with fr. embyo

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »
    I presume the aa are incalf with fr. embyo

They will be carrying my best genetics- full Holstein

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'll be selling a few, thought 300 would be good, ai bred herd is middle of the road :-)
    That's what I let mine go for deal was done before the start of calving they went at ave 15 days old

They will be carrying my best genetics- full Holstein

Why Angus?

Why Angus?

I have the Angus maidens that I was going to finish but the opportunity to improve the genetics in the dairy herd has changed their purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have the Angus maidens that I was going to finish but the opportunity to improve the genetics in the dairy herd has changed their purpose
    I've often seen freshly calved non dairy bred heifers selling well in marts without a calf a foot and wondered at it. Maybe those heifers were also ET recipients. Best of luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭farisfat

Agree with you there- calves do better here the sooner you get them on the machine- mine are feed ad lib

Adlib whole milk or replacer at that age.

farisfat wrote: »
    Adlib whole milk or replacer at that age.

Milk replacer from day 3

Got the cows earlier in the week for 1 day, cow now with a twisted I think. Does it cause it change in the diet? How do lads avoid it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Milk replacer from day 3

If crypto is after getting into your calf rearing facilities you’ll end up feeding them colostrum for 5+ days...then you’ll end up keeping them out of the auto feeder for 12-15 days until they’re out of danger from crypto.
    I hope it doesn’t come to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Got the cows earlier in the week for 1 day, cow now with a twisted I think. Does it cause it change in the diet? How do lads avoid it

Feed the pre-calvers the milking cow diet for a minimum of 2 weeks before calving. It’s not the perfect solution but it helps a lot.

Advertisement