Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Guys I need help with new Siro connection. Contacted Siro directly through email but I got feeling I was pushed away like "leave us alone"

There is Siro available on the streets around my new place I'm gonna live.. I did checked all eir codes but they say I can't get connected to apartment we are moving in soon. I'm with Siro right now for last 3 years and can't imagine to get slower speeds tbh.

So my question is there any option to contact installers directly to have a look on my case and somehow change their system to show up my apartment in system availability?

As you can see on the map I've made all houses marked green can get connected and our building is red on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

borygo77 wrote: »
    Guys I need help with new Siro connection. Contacted Siro directly through email but I got feeling I was pushed away like "leave us alone"

There is Siro available on the streets around my new place I'm gonna live.. I did checked all eir codes but they say I can't get connected to apartment we are moving in soon. I'm with Siro right now for last 3 years and can't imagine to get slower speeds tbh.

So my question is there any option to contact installers directly to have a look on my case and somehow change their system to show up my apartment in system availability?

As you can see on the map I've made all houses marked green can get connected and our building is red on the map.

Try contacting carnsore broadband they're carriers of Siro, I'm assuming it's clonard village in Wexford.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Try contacting carnsore broadband they're carriers of Siro, I'm assuming it's clonard village in Wexford.

It is you're right. I'm with carnsore over three years now. They were first I've contacted to move my connection to new apartment but they said they can't do it cause Siro is unavailable in there. When you check eir code on Siro webpage it says so. That's why I've contacted Siro directly and they said:

"Thank you for your patience while we investigated your query.

Our team came back to us and advised that SIRO could not connect your premises due to topographical issues relating to drop, i.e., no viable drop for the building was found. At this time, we do not have any solutions to rectify this.

This issue can affect our roll out on a premises-by-premises basis, and in unfortunate cases, an entire area. We understand your need for high-speed broadband, and we wish we had better news"

How is that possible they cannot connect apartment but every other house around got connection no problem? :(

It is you're right. I'm with carnsore over three years now. They were first I've contacted to move my connection to new apartment but they said they can't do it cause Siro is unavailable in there. When you check eir code on Siro webpage it says so. That's why I've contacted Siro directly and they said:

"Thank you for your patience while we investigated your query.

Our team came back to us and advised that SIRO could not connect your premises due to topographical issues relating to drop, i.e., no viable drop for the building was found. At this time, we do not have any solutions to rectify this.

This issue can affect our roll out on a premises-by-premises basis, and in unfortunate cases, an entire area. We understand your need for high-speed broadband, and we wish we had better news"

How is that possible they cannot connect apartment but every other house around got connection no problem? :(

Blame the dickie who built the apartment block. Is VM available? They did a much better job servicing apartment blocks, here in Enniscorthy anyway.

Blame the dickie who built the apartment block. Is VM available? They did a much better job servicing apartment blocks, here in Enniscorthy anyway.

Yep. Can get VM as well as eir and I will go with eir if I have to as VM is way overpriced for 1gbps connection...
    Eir is 10 more than Siro but upload speed is also slower. Have 200Mbps now with carnsore.... So handy to upload to YouTube. Downloading files in work place from home with full speed. I'm gonna miss that! ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So we've had SIRO available to us for a while, but have only decided to pull the trigger now. However, when I go to confirm our Eircode only Digiweb comes up as being available at 1Gbps. It says Vodafone, Pure, and Sky provide only 500 Mbps at our address. Out of curiosity, what would the reasons for this be? I thought if they were all using the same network, they'd have the same speeds??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Yep. Can get VM as well as eir and I will go with eir if I have to as VM is way overpriced for 1gbps connection...
    Eir is 10 more than Siro but upload speed is also slower. Have 200Mbps now with carnsore.... So handy to upload to YouTube. Downloading files in work place from home with full speed. I'm gonna miss that! ;(

New SIRO connections are max 100 up. So even if you moved your package, it would not be 200 up.

TheDriver wrote: »
    New SIRO connections are max 100 up. So even if you moved your package, it would not be 200 up.

Was just going to say that. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there were other resellers on the eir ftth.

Was just going to say that. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought there were other resellers on the eir ftth.

Oh never knew that they have 100Mbps up max now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Nova Broadband are still advertising 200 up in their "Boring Stuff" section...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Would like to move the ONT box to an adjacent wall. Can I spool up the extra length of optical wire inside the box or should I leave well enough alone? It's tacked along the skirting board as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Does anyone know do vodafone throttle?

My speed at 6pm tonight is the average 250mb.

Now at 8pm its 11mb its like this for weeks.

Bloody disaster at least eir was around 75mb all the time.

Anyone come across this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Would like to move the ONT box to an adjacent wall. Can I spool up the extra length of optical wire inside the box or should I leave well enough alone? It's tacked along the skirting board as is.

If there is extra, so you don't damage or mess (as such) with the fibre, I'd say work away. It's only when whet's there isn't sufficient, that you should stay far away.

Just make sure you do not kink in the process. Cause that would be ... fatal.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Marlow wrote: »
    If there is extra, so you don't damage or mess (as such) with the fibre, I'd say work away. It's only when whet's there isn't sufficient, that you should stay far away.

Just make sure you do not kink in the process. Cause that would be ... fatal.

/M

Thanks I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone and just look at changing the Vodafone Gigabox. The wifi is shocking, any affordable suggestions for a replacement.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Thanks I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone and just look at changing the Vodafone Gigabox. The wifi is shocking, any affordable suggestions for a replacement.

This is what I have it's brilliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D
    I bought it from PcWorld.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just wondering about Siro, can anyone shed more light on what it is compared to regular FTTH?

Is Siro basically the same thing except they use ESB polls to string fibre along or is there something different entirely?

Reading their website they also claim that Siro isnt just for urban cities but when I look at their rollout map, it seems to be precisely that. Example, in Galway its only available within Galway City.

Do they have any available roadmap or long term plan to roll this out further?

joe123 wrote: »
    Just wondering about Siro, can anyone shed more light on what it is compared to regular FTTH?

Is Siro basically the same thing except they use ESB polls to string fibre along or is there something different entirely?

Reading their website they also claim that Siro isnt just for urban cities but when I look at their rollout map, it seems to be precisely that. Example, in Galway its only available within Galway City.

Do they have any available roadmap or long term plan to roll this out further?
    It is ftth. As u say, they use the ESB network to utilise the poles and ducts but it is a different wire.
    SIRO focused on large towns that eir were never going beyond VDSL. Many parts of these towns had max 30-50 meg down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

joe123 wrote: »

I think they decided early on it wasn't economic for them to roll it out to more rural areas and they also dropped out of the NBP early on.

According to reports there is to be an NBI pilot over ESB infrastructure, not SIRO related, with the aim to speed up the rollout of the NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

stamjoe wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Every second night, for the last year, at 10pm my SIRO connection with PURE drops consistently for a few minutes.

Thoughts? Cheers..

I get the same although I don't know if it's at the same time every day or at 10pm might be something they're doing on purpose.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I get the same although I don't know if it's at the same time every day or at 10pm might be something they're doing on purpose.

It most likely is. Depending on how their provisioning works. But it should take seconds to reconnect, unless there's something on their backend that just takes longer to negotiate.

It's once a week with us and has to do with the way, we provision our connections. Not every provider does it, but it sound like something you're experiencing there.

If you have a Fritz!Box router, you can set a daily disconnect/reconnect at a time convenient to yourself in the router settings.

In the settings of the Fritz!Box, you can go to "Internet" -> "Account Information" -> "Connection Settings" -> "Change Connection Settings" -> "Maintain permanently (recommended for flat rates)" -> "
    Delay disconnection by provider to the period between"

You may have to toggle the router to "Advanced view" in the top right (3 dots) to get the option.

Here you can select a timeframe, that is convenient for you and the router will then force the disconnect around that time instead of you being disconnected when it suits you the least.

I can't help with other routers. Not every router has that feature.

• Advertisement

My times are more random

21st
    12:12:18
    14:59:06

Today
    07:38:41
    07:42:49

I've done what Martin suggested, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Hi,
    In case anyone else is wondering how long it takes from the fiber optic cables showing up on your street to you being able to get it into your house, it was about a year in my case.
    In Feburary 2020, I first saw the ESB putting up the fiber optic cables. The circular reels are easily spotted. This loop of cable is left up there to run into a customers house when they order it.

5gA4Cpd.jpg

I went onto the Siro and Digiweb website, checked my address, it said it was unavailable, and so I signed up to notifications of when the broadband would become available.

In May 2020 I received the email from SIRO saying "Congratulations! SIRO will soon be available at your address". They said it would be available in the next couple of months. I rand Digiweb who said that they would hope it would be available before December.

In November 2020, I saw the TLI group vans out on my road working on the SIRO cables. These are the sub-contracted engineers that work for SIRO. After having a chat with them, they said that they would be handing over the infrastructure on the street to SIRO next month (December).

In December 2020, sure enough, I received a text off Digiweb to say that I could order the broadband. I gave them a call. They first said that it wasn't yet available at my address, but when I told them about the text, they put the order through.

In early January 2021 the TLI engineers arrived a couple of days late. As the cables would have to be run overground near power cables, they said that the ESB would have to run the cable from the road to the house. They arrived a month later to do that job. Then a week later the TLI engineers came back and ran the cable into the house and installed the electronics to give the broadband.

All in all, the whole process took a year. Granted, covid probably delayed things, but this timeline of events should hopefully help someone in a similar situation.

Speed wise, I ordered the 1Gig package. I am getting about ~400Mbs download ~100Mb upload using a hardwired PC (Gigabyte brix, ssd drive) with a gig network card to the main router. I used speedtest.net and google speed test on Ubuntu and a spare ethernet cable that another Fritzbox 7530 router came with. The other devices in the house are reporting similar speeds. In hindsight, I should have asked the engineer what speed he was getting, if he did test it while he was installing it. It's not half the speed specified by the package, but still pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Speed wise, I ordered the 1Gig package. I am getting about ~400Mbs download ~100Mb upload using a hardwired PC (Gigabyte brix, ssd drive) with a gig network card to the main router. I used speedtest.net and google speed test on Ubuntu and a spare ethernet cable that another Fritzbox 7530 router came with.

What server do you run your speedtest to on speedtest.net ? That's important too. Best is to test to the Carlow or Galway servers, as those are known to have a 10 Gbit/s uplink.

Other servers may not have the bandwidth. Also preferable use Firefox or Chrome to test with. Or the speedtest desktop app. Make sure nothing is downloading in the background. Like a Playstation or Xbox pulling updates while you're running the speedtest will make a difference. The speedtest can only show what's left within your household. Not what the total is.

You can see in the Fritz!Box configuration interface, what's currently in use.

/M

I use the native app as chrome gives erratic results.
    I'm on a gig SIRO with a 50m cat5 cable to a fritzbox and then onto the PC. Get 900-940 always

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Ive never got over 400mb down with a cat6 cable from the Fritzbox to my laptop. not once and im on the 1GB package, i use the speedtest app to carlow.

Marlow wrote: »
    What server do you run your speedtest to on speedtest.net ? That's important too. Best is to test to the Carlow or Galway servers, as those are known to have a 10 Gbit/s uplink.

Other servers may not have the bandwidth. Also preferable use Firefox or Chrome to test with. Or the speedtest desktop app. Make sure nothing is downloading in the background. Like a Playstation or Xbox pulling updates while you're running the speedtest will make a difference. The speedtest can only show what's left within your household. Not what the total is.

You can see in the Fritz!Box configuration interface, what's currently in use.

/M

Thanks for the tips! :-) Yes, i am using the Carlow server. Im not using the speedtest desktop app, chrome or firefox, i am using the speedtest command line application. Hopefully that will remove any potential overhead. I was getting similar results when I ran it in Chrome, though.
    gigabyteBrix•~» speedtest-cli                                                                                     
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from Digiweb ltd (84.203.10.160)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Blacknight (Carlow) [149.80 km]: 11.811 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 460.72 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 102.38 Mbit/s

No, there are no other devices using large amounts of network in the background, like the playstation or xbox. I double checked that on the Fritzbox "Online Monitor" page:

544815.png

The peak above is when I ran the speed test.
    Its strange. I am not overly bothered with not getting close to the 1Gig speed, but it would be nice to get close to what you are paying for.

Ive never got over 400mb down with a cat6 cable from the Fritzbox to my laptop. not once and im on the 1GB package, i use the speedtest app to carlow.

If you saw the cut of my cat5 cable., didn't expect it to work and was only to keep me going over the weekend at the time (only cable longer than 1m at work i could borrow).
    But alas, works a treat.
    I assumed everyone on gig package was getting the full deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Does anyone know what areas of leixlip will be getting siro?

• Advertisement

I've noticed the odd time I connect with pure I only get 400mb or there abouts. I go into the router and tell it to reconnect to the internet and get 900+

Advertisement