Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wpisdu

Guys, am I being throttled? It was great at the beginning, now I'm getting only 2/3 of the initial speed. The internet got connected on the 4th, worked well speed wise for over a week and then downhill since then. Why would I pay for 1Gbps if I get a little bit over half a gig. Should I contact them?

xszni7w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Ive never got over 400mb down with a cat6 cable from the Fritzbox to my laptop. not once and im on the 1GB package, i use the speedtest app to carlow.

Did you contact your provider about it? I am debating it. Im told that they normally run you around in circles before telling you that it will cost 120e for the engineers to call out if it turns out that "the issue is on your side".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

No i havent to be honest, I keep meaning to but just havent yet. I hate ringing up these places for hours. I certainly wont be paying money for them to come out and fix my line. when they installed it they didnt do a speed test as it says on their website, and show it to me. Since day 1 ive never got the speeds some people do here, like 900mbs etc. not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

ive yet to get more than 650mb on my 1gb connection, connected to router direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Does anyone know what areas of leixlip will be getting siro?

I was out for a walk yesterday evening and saw approx 12 KN Circet’s vans, half them up in River Forest shopping centre and the rest on Captains hill. Are they working for Siro or Eir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Davexirl wrote: »
    I was out for a walk yesterday evening and saw approx 12 KN Circet’s vans, half them up in River Forest shopping centre and the rest on Captains hill. Are they working for Siro or Eir?

Could be either of them. Siro, OpenEir or NBI.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

I just got this error at 10:30 am (10:21:57)
    PPPoE error: PPPoE server reports a system error: AC: Cannot open PPPoE session.

The advice from Martin a page back worked a treat by the way, internet resets itself only at 7.25-7.45 am now (planning to move it a few hours earlier now), apart from this error that just happened.

Wondering if it was an outage with pure or siro in donegal or something.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    ive yet to get more than 650mb on my 1gb connection, connected to router direct.
    I was getting 1Gbps only for the first week since the installation and then it dropped to 650Mb maximum, however, after complaining here something improved and I'm back on 1Gbps :eek:

R4ESVOz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

wpisdu wrote: »
    I was getting 1Gbps only for the first week since the installation and then it dropped to 650Mb maximum, however, after complaining here something improved and I'm back on 1Gbps :eek:

R4ESVOz.png

what router are you using ?

what router are you using ?

It's ASUS RT-AX86U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

R4ESVOz.png

Is there any evidence that stock router from ISP and reducing the speed you recieve vs other routers?

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that stock router from ISP and reducing the speed you recieve vs other routers?

If you replace the router with something different than what the ISP gave you, then it's your responsibility to make sure, the router is capable of achieving the throughput.

And the choices of routers that can actually achieve Gbit/s throughput is actually limited.

The router having a Gbit/s port is NOT enough.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If you replace the router with something different than what the ISP gave you, then it's your responsibility to make sure, the router is capable of achieving the throughput.

And the choices of routers that can actually achieve Gbit/s throughput is actually limited.

The router having a Gbit/s port is NOT enough.

/M

I don't think this is true, I'm pretty sure every new router is capable of 1Gbit/s throughput on the WAN port, otherwise it's not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

I don't think this is true, I'm pretty sure every new router is capable of 1Gbit/s throughput on the WAN port, otherwise it's not fit for purpose.

Would you consider the TP Link AX50 a good alternative to the ASUS RT-AX86U you have yourself?

Would you consider the TP Link AX50 a good alternative to the ASUS RT-AX86U you have yourself?

To me it looks decent but can't recommend you something I haven't used. Just make sure it can do VLAN tagging (VID) on WAN port if you want to bypass Vodafone router and connect directly to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), otherwise you will end up with 3 devices :D

Not sure if other providers do VLAN tagging on WAN though, Vodafone does.

UPDATE:
    I checked that for you, it can do it so you should be fine :D

67466Iu.png

Erh ... no .. they are not. And also, people don't always buy the latest model, when they go out and buy a router.

The providers .. especially with SIRO .. actually test their routers and prove to SIRO, that they are capable of Gbit/s throughput. This test was put in place, so that providers don't just supply any junk.

Looking at the specification, this Mikrotik hAP ac3 router for example: https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac3 won't be doing Gbit/s throughput. The CPU is not fast enough. It'll deal with approx 600-650 Mbit/s at the most, once it has to do firewalling, NAT etc.

You can buy this new in Elara, the NETGEAR R6120: https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE4307791 and it will probably do Gbit/s on the 5 GHz wifi. Maybe. It will not do Gbit/s speeds on the internet interface, because it's CPU is not powerful enough for that, once it has to deal with firewalling, NAT etc.

I have tested a whole bunch of these. And I can tell you with certainty: not every router is capable of Gbit/s throughput, once it has to do firewalling and NAT also. There is a reason, that providers only recommend a subset of routers for FTTH connections.

/M

Erh ... no .. they are not. And also, people don't always buy the latest model, when they go out and buy a router.

The providers .. especially with SIRO .. actually test their routers and prove to SIRO, that they are capable of Gbit/s throughput. This test was put in place, so that providers don't just supply any junk.

Looking at the specification, this Mikrotik hAP ac3 router for example: https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac3 won't be doing Gbit/s throughput. The CPU is not fast enough. It'll deal with approx 600-650 Mbit/s at the most, once it has to do firewalling, NAT etc.

You can buy this new in Elara, the NETGEAR R6120: https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE4307791 and it will probably do Gbit/s on the 5 GHz wifi. Maybe. It will not do Gbit/s speeds on the internet interface, because it's CPU is not powerful enough for that, once it has to deal with firewalling, NAT etc.

I have tested a whole bunch of these. And I can tell you with certainty: not every router is capable of Gbit/s throughput, once it has to do firewalling and NAT also. There is a reason, that providers only recommend a subset of routers for FTTH connections.

/M

Well, you are giving me some edge case scenarios here. Why would I replace a decent Vodafone router with this cheap Netgear box in the first place? It wouldn't work anyway without being able to tag VLAN on WAN port.

My assumption was if you are looking to upgrade the stock device, you know what you are doing and you are also willing to spend 120+ on the hardware, it doesn't make sense otherwise.

I get your point though.

Well, you are giving me some edge case scenarios here. Why would I replace a decent Vodafone router with this cheap Netgear box in the first place? It wouldn't work anyway without being able to tag VLAN on WAN port.

My assumption was if you are looking to upgrade the stock device, you know what you are doing and you are also willing to spend 120+ on the hardware, it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Assumption is the mother of all f******.

Plenty of people unhappy with the wireless or feature set of the routers that Vodafone (and other mainstream providers) provide. And plenty of them, that think, that sure a 50-100 EUR router will do the job.

It's something, I come across nearly every day. So it is important to reiterate, that not every router is build with that performance in mind.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I get your point though.

Exactly, a lot of that goes on here, talking to people like they have the IQ of a squid. As you said, obviously if you're contemplating changing to a decent router you wouldn't be considering a 50 euro piece of junk and would do some research.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Exactly, a lot of that goes on here, talking to people like they have the IQ of a squid. As you said, obviously if you're contemplating changing to a decent router you wouldn't be considering a 50 euro piece of junk and would do some research.

You never know, what level of understanding the other poster has. So you have to assume the lowest common denominator.

And you've been in this thread for a long time. Plenty of people asking advice here, that have no technical understanding whatsoever.

I mean .. I've seen a few cases of people buying powerline adapters to stick between the ONT and router, that only had 100 Mbit/s ports, and then wondering, why they can't get Gbit/s speeds.

That's one of those examples. If you make sure, that you don't generalise or assume knowledge on the other end, so that edge cases can happen, then there's less problems afterwards.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nextgen2020

Anyone living in South co Dublin have this installed yet?

For those on connections with a Fritz!Box router, there is a new firmware out (7.25)

One feature is, that now allows to prioritise certain devices for working from home. Could be handy.

It's been rolled out for the 7530 and 7590 models so far.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For those on connections with a Fritz!Box router, there is a new firmware out (7.25)

One feature is, that now allows to prioritise certain devices for working from home. Could be handy.

It's been rolled out for the 7530 and 7590 models so far.

/M

Updated here on 6th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

It seems there is/was a big enough siro outage in Galway today. Mine went at 1:30am, and only came back at around lunch time. Just got off a meeting with a colleague on the other side of the city, whose siro is still down. Pure telecom confirmed to me this morning that it was a siro outage, and not specific to them (which adds up, because my colleague is with sky). Hopefully just a blip, because ours has been excellent since we got it before Christmas.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have not seen any outage within the SIRO customers, that we have in Galway, nor is there an outage on SIRO itself.

There was a big power outage this morning affecting approx 5000 premises, that covered a part of Galway. That seems to have cleared between 13:00 and 14:00.

So it can very well be, that connectivity and equipment of certain providers serving Galway was affected. It did not affect our network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

RonnieL wrote: »
    It seems there is/was a big enough siro outage in Galway today. Mine went at 1:30am, and only came back at around lunch time. Just got off a meeting with a colleague on the other side of the city, whose siro is still down. Pure telecom confirmed to me this morning that it was a siro outage, and not specific to them (which adds up, because my colleague is with sky). Hopefully just a blip, because ours has been excellent since we got it before Christmas.
    We have not seen any outage within the SIRO customers, that we have in Galway, nor is there an outage on SIRO itself.

There was a big power outage this morning affecting approx 5000 premises, that covered a part of Galway. That seems to have cleared between 13:00 and 14:00.

So it can very well be, that connectivity and equipment of certain providers serving Galway was affected. It did not affect our network.

I may have been lucky but have not had any issues on the Westside of the city my Siro connection has been up all day, haven't checked to see if there were any issues overnight. My connection is through Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi all,
    I am planning for a Siro connection. I am lucky that my house has a home network but due to the fact that Siro is not using existing ducting my FTTH will have to enter my network on a bedroom ethernet port before it travels 9-14 metres to the switch. Aside from the fact that I lose the ethernet port, I was thinking that this part of the network will be the weak link of my system. As it is a backbone I wonder should I see if I could replace it with a high spec cable like Cat 6a. If I got a pre terminated Cat6a it would not be so much hassle. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jcomm114

We’ve moved to a new house and the previous tenant had SIRO installed. Only issue is he seems to have taken the internal SIRO connection box with him. Is this normal, I would have thought they would have just taken their router with them? Has anyone been able to get another SIRO box easy enough? We’ve tried a few providers and haven’t been able to get confirmation of what the next steps are so anyone that has any advice would be great.

The attached from the SIRO installation is basically what we have on our wall now. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jcomm114 wrote: »
    We’ve moved to a new house and the previous tenant had SIRO installed. Only issue is he seems to have taken the internal SIRO connection box with him. Is this normal, I would have thought they would have just taken their router with them? Has anyone been able to get another SIRO box easy enough? We’ve tried a few providers and haven’t been able to get confirmation of what the next steps are so anyone that has any advice would be great.

The attached from the SIRO installation is basically what we have on our wall now. Thanks.

Well, that was a dick move.

Try the smaller providers who operate in your area, you're less likely to get lost in the cogs of a giant machine trying to explain the situation. Send them that picture. One of them should be able to sort you out.

Advertisement