Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Going through the ordeal of installing Vodafone fiber in the new apartment I have moved into
    Can you tell us roughly where?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi Guys, any guides available online for putting the Sky Siro modem into Bridge mode and using Eero mesh devices for WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Did anyone sign-up with pure and setup the phone package? They give the phone service included but I never got a phone number or what to do, do I just plug a phone into the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone know if its possible to get a replacement ont box? Broadband dropped to 100mb suddenly and Siro called to the house and said the line coming in is fine and must be modem/router. I changed provider (to get sky tv/fibre offer) and speed has not improved so that rules our modem/router. Not a network cable issue either. I didnt think to ask Siro was ont box definitely ok but if they are saying its ok coming in then thats the only thing i can think of.

Anyone know if its possible to get a replacement ont box? Broadband dropped to 100mb suddenly and Siro called to the house and said the line coming in is fine and must be modem/router. I changed provider (to get sky tv/fibre offer) and speed has not improved so that rules our modem/router. Not a network cable issue either. I didnt think to ask Siro was ont box definitely ok but if they are saying its ok coming in then thats the only thing i can think of.

Surely when the engineer called to the house, he plugged in his laptop to the ONT and did a speedtest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

He did and got up to 100mb aswell. But just thinking he might have tested the optical type cable before it went into ont box and signal on that could have been ok but whatever way the ont box converts into a network connection might not be working right.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Signed up with pure telecom on their black Friday deal. Got a call on Friday afternoon as they had installers in the area who had time for one more install. The lads arrived about a minute later and got working (they must have been waiting around the corner!). We discussed options for locating the boxes (one outside, one inside on the wall, both small), and decided to run a cable from the side of my house to just beside the front door. They did a really tidy job, and the speeds are excellent.

Btw, does anyone happen to know if any of the fritz android apps can be used to manage devices connected to the network? I was on vodafone and I used their app to cut off the kids devices. The play store has a fairly long list of fritz apps, and it's not clear from the screen shots if any of them do what I want.

Can I ask what their black Friday deal was?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Can I ask what their black Friday deal was?

35 euro a month for 1Gbps for 12 months (goes to 55 a month then I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭CoBo55

RonnieL wrote: »
    35 euro a month for 1Gbps for 12 months (goes to 55 a month then I think).

18 or 24 month contract I think.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    18 or 24 month contract I think.

Just double checked, it's a 12 month contract.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Just double checked, it's a 12 month contract.

That's a brilliant deal. Nice one.

I got this deal in Oct, it was around for a bit. 12 months, 35 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

I didn't even know it was a deal, I was going to pay the 40 but the man on the phone said 35 so many times it had to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Can anyone tell me who the most obliging provider is as regards cabling, drilling etc.?

My situation is that I require the cable entry point immediately adjacent to the ESB meter-box the interior of which enters my garage. I then want to bring the fibre up into and across the garage attic and then through a wall into an upstairs bedroom where all my ethernet cables already terminate.

In fact if they would supply me with a few metres of conduit in advance I could have it in place with a drawstring inside beforehand so they would only have to drill one hole through the garage wall.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

peking97 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me who the most obliging provider is as regards cabling, drilling etc.?

My situation is that I require the cable entry point immediately adjacent to the ESB meter-box the interior of which enters my garage. I then want to bring the fibre up into and across the garage attic and then through a wall into an upstairs bedroom where all my ethernet cables already terminate.

In fact if they would supply me with a few metres of conduit in advance I could have it in place with a drawstring inside beforehand so they would only have to drill one hole through the garage wall.

Any suggestions?

Good question - My ESB Meter is inside a downstairs bathroom with no plugs, so I really don't want it there.
    But the leccy does come to the house at roof height and I do want it pushed up through the eves into the attic where I have my Virgin router currently.

Use this map to find the eircode of your new house and of the neighbours: https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

Then use this site to see who is being offered it: https://siro.ie/address-lookup-result/

My only caveat I might add is that I am in Cork City and they are enabling _every_ house. Using the above tools I was able to watch it go live closer and closer... Across the road now there is a semi where one half has it and the other doesn't (but they do get served from two diff poles on two diff streets).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I got Pure installed last week - 1 gb package. Clocked 650 when installer was here so happy enough with that.

Since then, speeds are very erratic, ranging from 40mb to 450mb but no higher. Same when connected via cable to router.

No sign of the original 650mb, nowhere near it.

Anyone else have the same experience?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, yeh i am, ive had it with digiweb nearly 3 or 4 weeks now and never get over 450mb on a test even with a cable, SSD etc

also when the installer was here he never showed me any speedtest , he just told me it was in and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi, yeh i am, ive had it with digiweb nearly 3 or 4 weeks now and never get over 450mb on a test even with a cable, SSD etc

also when the installer was here he never showed me any speedtest , he just told me it was in and left.

Have you logged a call with technical support? If not then do so. Your speeds should be around 930 down and 97-101 up. Also if you are using speedtest.net you can generate an excel spreadsheet with all your wired test results as proof. This can be emailed to support@digiweb.ie if needed.

As for the engineer when the work is done a wired speed test must be done in your presence. As it wasn't then please highlighted this with customer support If he came from Actavo then nothing surprises me. I had the same experience when I got Digiweb SIRO 2 years ago.

• Advertisement

Also I find the OOKLA Speed Test in the MS Store works better than the browser based one.

Plus try the "Google Speed Test"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

peking97 wrote: »

Any suggestions?

All the installs are completed by contractors for SIRO as far as I am aware. This was Actavo but recently I saw subcontractors for Actavo carrying out these installs. Who you order with doesn’t matter, Actavo over all the installs.

I concur re speedtest app rather than through chrome. Pure 1 gig here and consistently get 800+ and mostly 900+ on wired pc.

Think I'll stick with 360 from VM, wireless test through the W10 app https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/060d1bc8-f5c7-4ec2-8046-d740e9288712 Hub in modem mode Asus RT86 router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm with Vodafone and have the 1000 x 200 package. Like others, I'm not receiving anywhere near the speeds I did previously. I'm checking on wired pc's, on google speed check / fast.com / speedtest.net etc and 300 m/bit is about the maximum I get. It's incredibly frustrating, I can't change provider now, as I'll lose my 200m/bit upload due to vodafone's contract change. I was downloading yesterday on steam / microsoft store and only receiving around 100m/bit. Large games are once again taking hours to receive :(

Where is the contention issue? Is the contention ratio too high on siro at the last kilometre? Or is the backbone network struggling?

Frankly either way, i think it's utter incompetence not to have future proofed the network. Is it going to get worse as they keep adding people onto the Siro network?

Praetorian wrote: »
    Where is the contention issue? Is the contention ratio too high on siro at the last kilometre? Or is the backbone network struggling?

Frankly either way, i think it's utter incompetence not to have future proofed the network. Is it going to get worse as they keep adding people onto the Siro network?

I didn't think SIRO suffered from contention? I thought the idea of fibre optic to the home did away with all that?

I'm very disappointed in mine - not necessarily because it is not adequately fast but once again because broadband speeds are being mis-sold.

Has it got anything to do with routing? I notice that sky and vodafone look after their own traffic whereas the smaller sellers use BT or ENet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

sumo12 wrote: »
    I didn't think SIRO suffered from contention? I thought the idea of fibre optic to the home did away with all that?

I'm very disappointed in mine - not necessarily because it is not adequately fast but once again because broadband speeds are being mis-sold.

They're not leasing us our own lines.
    Were sharing with 24 or 12, I forget the exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think it's 32:1 with vodafone siro. So that is 2.5 gigabits split between possibly 32 homes / businesses. But I'm thinking the issue might not be on the street,/ 1st km.

It may even be a deliberate slow down by vodafone to enable quality of service for everyone. I'm not sure where the issue is, but it's utter incompetence either way.

Vodafone this year: Country wide outages a couple of times this year, mobile business team don't bother replying to mails anymore / terrible customer service. Vodafone changing contracts on siro packages and now offering a fraction of the bandwidth we are paying for.

• Advertisement

Got talking to a very helpful tech guy in Pure this evening, here is the explanation he gave me:

Router sends out signals in 2.4g or 5g. Phone, laptop randomly connects to either. Max speed on 2.4g is 100mb. This explains the fluctuations in my connection speed.

He split my wireless networks into 2.4g and 5g and told me to connect phones etc, to 5g and smart home stuff to 2.4g. Download consistently 400-450mb on phone now - he says this is the max you will get wirelessly and older devices will not be capable of this speed anyway. Some laptops even with ethernet not capable of top speeds.

Apologies if you all knew this anyway and a further apology for being late to the knowledge....

Advertisement