Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Article and some nice pics here:
    https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/02/this-crisp-looking-crossover-is-hyundais-next-ev-the-ioniq-5/

Looks fantastic IMO

58kWh or 77.4kWh, 800V system, 350kW DC charging, nice.

Also has two plugs for powering other devices, laptops, camping cookers, etc.

More nice pics here, including real world pics:
    https://www.motor1.com/news/489888/2022-hyundai-ioniq-5-reveal/

This looks to be a very serious competitor. If they can combine Hyundai’s efficiency with all these more modern features and looks they could be onto a serious winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Chris from battery life managed to get a brochure (skip to around 42:00)

https://youtu.be/BJiwK0dmS1k

Price for the top spec in Germant just under €60k

225kW motor output
    72kWh bettery (guessing that's usable capacity)
    3 phase charger (no mention of speed)
    800V DC charging (no mention of speed)
    V2L (16A max, about 3kW)
    Included 2 years of dicount Ionity rate (€0.29/kWh)
    Lane following with adaptive cruise control

Looks like an excellent package overall. The price puts it up there with the ID.4 and Model Y, so not exactly cheap
    I really like the V2L and 800V charging capabilites, it's past time we saw more of that on other EVs
    I think it'll be very efficient for the size of vehicle, based on the E-Niro and Kona

I suspect however they'll be in short supply for a while, looks like the 3000 for Germany have already been pre-ordered
    I'm guessing we'll get maybe 20-50 for Ireland in 2021, if it even arrives here
    2022 will hopefully see better supply

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The "most powerful" version (as I didnt see a specific nameplate for this version) seems interesting. 5s 0-60 and AWD.
    I loved my Ioniq28 and would own another Hyundai without issue.

This is an interesting car.

I like it could be “Guess what mad_lad got part 3”

Decent power will cost I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I still don't understand why Hyundai / Kia haven't upped their production capacity for EVs drastically over the last 4 years, when they realised they could sell all the cars they were making at full RRP many times over?

They make their cars better / more precise than anyone else and seem to have hit near perfection with their motor / drivetrain too even with the first few EVs they made. They really should have been flooding the market with EVs before VW had a chance to do so.

unkel wrote: »
    I still don't understand why Hyundai / Kia haven't upped their production capacity for EVs drastically over the last 4 years, when they realised they could sell all the cars they were making at full RRP many times over?

Wasnt in their interests to do so.
    Emissions targets etc meant that it didnt make sense to sell many until last year.

Less profit probably and battery supply might be an issue.

They make their cars better / more precise than anyone else and seem to have hit near perfection with their motor / drivetrain too even with the first few EVs they made. They really should have been flooding the market with EVs before VW had a chance to do so.

Supply and demand, choke off the supply and the prices will be kept high :rolleyes:

Means they can keep selling the top spec cars which generate a bigger profit

What'll be interesting to watch is where Hyundai go with the spec on this car. First edition will be high spec, no doubt

If they keep it at a premium spec for the series models then that indicates they're not planning on selling high volumes. If they release a more budget friendly model then that'll likely sell like crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh how very dull. Such a big disappointment. Hard to believe the same company that just launched the classy, stunning new Tucson this year is making this dull car too.
    It's like an Audi A3 without the ugly grill with a Renault 5 dash but modernised to have touch screens.
    The crease on the side of it does not help it at all the front and rear are just dull.
    I would much rather the current Ioniq or ever a Renault Zoe over this at least they have style. Even the current Nissan Leaf has more style than this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh how very dull. Such a big disappointment. Hard to believe the same company that just launched the classy, stunning new Tucson this year is making this dull car too.
    It's like an Audi A3 without the ugly grill with a Renault 5 dash but modernised to have touch screens.
    The crease on the side of it does not help it at all the front and rear are just dull.
    I would much rather the current Ioniq or ever a Renault Zoe over this at least they have style. Even the current Nissan Leaf has more style than this.

Your taste is very individual

AMKC wrote: »

Each to their own, I quite like the looks of the Ioniq 5

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks promising tech wise but have absolutely no interest in a crossover/suv. Hopefully the new ioniq line includes a direct replacement for the existing car.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Chris from battery life managed to get a brochure (skip to around 42:00)

https://youtu.be/BJiwK0dmS1k

Price for the top spec in Germant just under €60k

225kW motor output
    72kWh bettery (guessing that's usable capacity)
    3 phase charger (no mention of speed)
    800V DC charging (no mention of speed)
    V2L (16A max, about 3kW)
    Included 2 years of dicount Ionity rate (€0.29/kWh)
    Lane following with adaptive cruise control

Looks like an excellent package overall. The price puts it up there with the ID.4 and Model Y, so not exactly cheap
    I really like the V2L and 800V charging capabilites, it's past time we saw more of that on other EVs
    I think it'll be very efficient for the size of vehicle, based on the E-Niro and Kona

I suspect however they'll be in short supply for a while, looks like the 3000 for Germany have already been pre-ordered
    I'm guessing we'll get maybe 20-50 for Ireland in 2021, if it even arrives here
    2022 will hopefully see better supply
    I wonder what the OTR price will be? Am guessing close to 50k for top spec and 40k for lower specs. It is a massive leap from the older Ioniqs in specs and design, though interior yet to be seen really in detail. The faster version is appealing, but at least the lower spec is also RWD if a touch slow in 0-100 speed over 8 seconds (we're spoilt).

Also impressed it has 1600kg towing capacity. Would be curious about height, perhaps closer to a crossover than a hatch. Roll on 2022...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks promising tech wise but have absolutely no interest in a crossover/suv. Hopefully the new ioniq line includes a direct replacement for the existing car.

Just ignore the marketing people and think of it as a hatchback that's a bit taller because it's sitting on a skateboard battery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nice looking car IMO, the future looks good. It will certainly be on my list when time to change..
    They have managed to keep the car pretty low, though hard to judge from the pics so far. Doesn't look SUV or crossover to me, when the dimensions become available will be easier to tell. Aerodynamics should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Mickeroo wrote: »

Then you'll be wanting the next one that Hyundai are promising out of its stable - the Ioniq 6 (at least if Hyundai can keep anything vaguely resembling the profile of the Prophecy concept car). Dunno about the price though - it could be pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I like it could be “Guess what mad_lad got part 3”

Decent power will cost I’d say.

Nothing can stop Mad-Lad to get the car he wants :)

I think the iOniq 5 will be a Car of the Year in many countries once out on the roads.
    I thought of keeping the Leaf till it dies, but may well be replaced by Hyundai one day...

ESB "hubs" are already outdated lol

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I think it's a great looking car, apparently due here in July. UK top spec is 45k on the road so guessing we'll have a version with the small battery around 40k and larger battery at around 50k. If it's as efficient as the Ioniq it would make me think twice about the id4!

• Advertisement

It has put a hole in VW's ID3 and ID4 pricing model

In Germany the entry level car comes in at 32,330 euro after grants.
    That includes 800v fast charging, led lighting, 19 alloys, two 12" screens, sat nav, reversing camera, heated seats, acc.

Der Preis für diese Einstiegsvariante startet bei 41.900 Euro und ist damit im Rahmen der Innovationsprämie des BAFA in vollem Umfang förderfähig (Der neue Hyundai IONIQ 5 steht noch nicht zum Verkauf. Die Homologation und die Kraftstoffverbrauchsermittlung der deutschen Länderausführung erfolgen
    unmittelbar vor der Markteinführung). Zusammen mit dem Hyundai Herstelleranteil erhält der Kunde für einen Preis von 32.330 Euro serienmäßig unter anderem die 800-Volt-Technologie, VollLED-Scheinwerfer, LED-Rückleuchten, 19-Zoll-Leichtmetallfelgen, zwei 12,25-Zoll-Bilschirme für
    das Cockpit und das Navigationssystem, eine Rückfahrkamera, beheizbare Vordersitze sowie umfangreiche Sicherheitssysteme, darunter eine adaptive Geschwindigkeitsregelanlage und eine
    intelligente Verkehrszeichenerkennung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Impressive specs but not impressed with the design. Looks like a late 90s hatchback.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Impressive specs but not impressed with the design. Looks like a late 90s hatchback.

Hatchbacks have been going downhill since the boxy 90s Micra :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

80sDiesel wrote: »

I think that's why I like it so much, it looks like a cool 90's hot hatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

liamog wrote: »
    I think that's why I like it so much, it looks like a cool 90's hot hatch!

Dunno why but it kind of reminds me of a Lancia design

Giugiaro worked on exterior of Hyundai Pony and Lancia Delta.

Yep that is what I was thinking also.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Yep that is what I was thinking also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Irish Times says RWD only in Ireland, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I think it looks great and specs seem excellent. I'd take one of these over a model Y

Advertisement