Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The bigger battery reminds me of the original Ioniq, it was always rumoured to have a bigger battery version due later, which happened 3 years in during the mid cycle refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,836 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hmm, I thought they were leading with the big battery and AWD version?

I guess we'll see in February

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Hmm, I thought they were leading with the big battery and AWD version?

I guess we'll see in February

The First Edtions reported from Austria are AWD and 58kWh usable. Waiting for Hyundai Ireland to turn that into a wind up motor with a pack of AAs

liamog wrote: »
    The First Edtions reported from Austria are AWD and 58kWh usable. Waiting for Hyundai Ireland to turn that into a wind up motor with a pack of AAs

Not to mention the petrol engine to self charge the battery :rolleyes:

Halogen headlights, the whole works. :D

• Advertisement

Not to mention the petrol engine to self charge the battery :rolleyes:

A REx version would be really sweet but I think if fast charging in cold weather can manage not much less than the times of 15-20 mins I might live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A REx version would be really sweet

I think nothing any of us can say will convince you that the automotive world is moving away from fossil fuels :p

unkel wrote: »
    And drum brakes. Not seen since some of the cheapest, nastiest cars of the 80s had them. And some plastic fantastic trims from recycled coffee cups. And the peel off plastic stickers on the outside. None of that bothers me too much, but bejaysus is it race to the bottom, just to go cheap, cheap, cheap.

The leaf carpet was and probably still is made from recycled plastic bottles looked nasty.

I'm sure drum brakes are still on cheap cars today somewhere but shouldn't be on a 50K car.

I'm sure drum brakes are still on cheap cars today somewhere but shouldn't be on a 50K car.

They are on the ID.3!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A REx version would be really sweet but I think if fast charging in cold weather can manage not much less than the times of 15-20 mins I might live with it.
    Do you have a rex for your laptop?:D

• Advertisement

They are on the ID.3!

Ha ha yeah I forgot. :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Do you have a rex for your laptop?:D

@Unkel that's where I got that idea from.
    The rex was a great thing back in its time, no doubting that, and especially from 2018 until fees for charging were introduced
    Now though, with 300-650km range EVs for sale, it's not needed. Either buy a good hybrid, a good long distance phev that you only use the odd time, or a long range EV with 100kW+ charging.

There is nothing wrong with drum brakes on an axle with a motor than can provide a high amount of retardation via regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There is nothing wrong with drum brakes on an axle with a motor than can provide a high amount of retardation via regeneration.

In fact it's a plus point.

The rear discs on the e-Niro have to be regularly scrubbed of rust by putting the car in neutral and using the foot brake on a long downhill.

Drum rear brakes are more than enough for most EVs.

Take a look at the rust on most EVs disc brakes and you might reevaluate your negative opinions about drum brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

1. They look terrible
    2. There's little or no retardation with a fully charged battery or a very cold battery (REx FTW here :pac:).
    3. Drums aren't as effective if they get very, very wet or in an emergency braking situation.
    4. Drums aren't as easy to manage for either an ABS system or traction control system, which uses rapid, pulsated brake application.
    5. They are purely a cost saving exercise for manufacturers.
    6. Did I say they look terrible?

(..........points 2 to 5 above may not be true, but could be............I hate drums) :D.

Kramer wrote: »
    1. They look terrible
    2. There's little or no retardation with a fully charged battery or a very cold battery (REx FTW here :pac:).
    3. Drums aren't as effective if they get very, very wet or in an emergency braking situation.
    4. Drums aren't as easy to manage for either an ABS system or traction control system, which uses rapid, pulsated brake application.
    5. They are purely a cost saving exercise for manufacturers.
    6. Did I say they look terrible?

Rusty disc brakes look worse than drum brakes hidden behind an aero wheel.
    They don't need to be as effective due to the engine regen, and most modern EVs have enough buffer at the top end (oh and disc brakes on the non driving axle) that there's plenty of room for regen to be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Rusty disc brakes look worse than drum brakes hidden behind an aero wheel.

What about rusty brake discs hidden behind cool plastic aero wheel covers, like the Tesla Model 3?
    most modern EVs have enough buffer at the top end (oh and disc brakes on the non driving axle) that there's plenty of room for regen to be effective.

Just the posh ones have the top buffer, not the cheaper EVs from Tesla etc. :(.

Drums can be improved, though.........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-66dMlB_RaUjOB7I3cBOqb9_adeGRTJps6qjB1lRAKJsRrJo15brEoasMem86YwlNSEVHtDjR3vwNb9mbEiC8jOzHI1eR7yhl&usqp=CAU&ec=45750088

44889581_dd9ceb3080_o.jpg

:D.

Kramer wrote: »
    Just the posh ones have the top buffer, not the cheaper EVs from Tesla etc. :(.

I think Tesla are the only ones who allow you to use the whole battery and leave it up to the owner to manage. Everyone else gives you a buffer, and figures the owner is too dumb to do the right thing.

Then again, Tesla also don't do blended brakes so you wouldn't have a problem with brake feel on a full battery anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Weather so cold the last week or so I’ve zero regen on the Model S for trips around town, the car HV battery simply too cold so the BMS won’t allow regen, weird sensation when “freewheeling”

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Same here. Hate not having any regen. Feels very much like you're driving a car from the last century.

It should be noted that it's not too cold for the HV battery
    This severe restriction on regen was only introduced in 2019 by software update.

When the car has been sitting overnight, not heated, then the whole car including the battery will be below zero when you drive off in the morning. That is too cold to charge the battery, so regen will NOT work. At all. Not until the battery has warmed up a little. This would apply to any EV.

When the car has been sitting overnight, not heated, then the whole car including the battery will be below zero when you drive off in the morning. That is too cold to charge the battery, so regen will NOT work. At all. Not until the battery has warmed up a little. This would apply to any EV.
    This is not true, look back at any Tesla youtuber from 2018 or before talking about cold weather regen.
    There was a change in Q3 2019 just after I collected my car that severely restricted cold weather regen in Teslas.

My Ioniq 28 didnt have the restriction (and I never used the climate timer) and I saw little to no regen restriction in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

This is not true, look back at any Tesla youtuber from 2018 or before talking about cold weather regen.
    There was a change in Q3 2019 just after I collected my car that severely restricted cold weather regen in Teslas.

My Ioniq 28 didnt have the restriction (and I never used the climate timer) and I saw little to no regen restriction in the cold.

True. I have good regen right from the start in the e-Niro, no matter how cold the car is. It was the same with the Ioniq.

The Mini, or the e-Up! also don't noticeably suffer from cold regen problems.

So based on this, we can probably say the Ioniq 5 will have decent cold battery regen, and therefore the drum brakes hated by Mad_Lad & Kramer will probable be grand.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'm pretty sure i've experienced this in my ioniq. Our driveway has a slight incline, so when I leave in the morning i'm immediately rolling downhill and pretty immediately braking. I thought I felt, once or twice, that the brakes felt different. likely because I was using the brake pads, and not regen.

I'll pay more attention next time I charge the car and it's cold... could be a while (level 5, WFH, no creche drop off, no need to move the car)

Trust me, if you charge pretty much any lithium chemistry below 0C, your cells will be toast very quickly :p

Perhaps when someone has regen straight away and the outside temp is below zero, that the battery isn't quite below zero. Also of course this is all a decision of the BMS. You are saying that Tesla made a software change and made the BMS more conservative

The BMS in my power wall has temp sensors obviously, but the manufacturer hasn't yet got around programming it to stop charging below zero. Let alone providing this new capability in a firmware update that I can download online and flash my hardware with. So I just use the best BMS there is - the one between my ears - and I switched the whole thing off weeks ago when the cold weather was on the way :D

I can't say myself that in 3 years of owning Ioniq I ever noticed there was no regen in cold weather (except of course if you drove off with a full battery), that said in Ireland it never really gets cold

• Advertisement

Only if the battery goes well below zero will the bms care other than this most Irish regen and charging cold weather restrictions are purely as a result of increased internal resistance as the chemical reactions slow down.

Advertisement