Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Comments

Old diesel wrote: »
    The bits the Kona had removed for Ireland werent things built into the design of the car in the way 800 volt charging is with Ioniq 5.

With the headlights - is there even a halogen headlight for Ioniq 5????.

I suspect this Ioniq 5 will be resistent to Paddy spec nonsense

Hard to know, they usually only import the mid range so that's probably what they will do and you probably won't be able to buy the high spec one. It just means due to VRT any extra kit will cost 7% more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw Jonny Smiths review on this and the AWD long range version looks good. I hope they bring it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

Not the best looking but doesn't insult either. It has some special charisma, for sure. Looks a bit 90s to me exterior wise.

Great features around charging and v2v. If they did AC 22 kW it would be the best car in terms of flexibility of charging etc.

What do we think about the price here? More than Kona or less. It's still an Ioniq...

I'd be interested, it's a very decent car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Bound to be more than Kona, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

10 to 15k more than the Kona at least.
    Its an ioniq but not the ioniq your thinking of.
    :)

• Advertisement

Thats Tesla money then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For the top spec I'd say over €60k, remember the grant is being cut for cars over €60k so there's an automatic 5k price jump

Hyundai might give us a rubbish spec to try and keep the price down and keep the grant

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

McGiver wrote: »
    Thats Tesla money then...
    starts at 42k in Germany (before grants),just go back a few threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

John arse wrote: »

That'll probably be €45k here & the top speck adds another €11k+. Metallic paint & other extras like the panaromic roof aren't in any package, so extra again. Actually, looking at the packages, I'd really only want the top one - they've cleverly kept several "must haves" for the highest speck.

That's the way it's going - €40k+ will be the cost to enter the EV game. If you want blind spot monitoring or nice seats, assume the position - it's gonna sting :pac:.

does anyone think that there'll be a few phev deals around before the grant is cut in half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

John arse wrote: »
    does anyone think that there'll be a few phev deals around before the grant is cut in half?

I think it'll be the opposite - people clamouring to take advantage & buy before the grant goes. Maybe clamouring is a little too strong....:pac:.

Dealers are unlikely to discount them if demand is strong.

John arse wrote:

But the grants are 6k AFAIK in Germany so that's 36k...decent money.

Kramer wrote: »
    I think it'll be the opposite - people clamouring to take advantage & buy before the grant goes. Maybe clamouring is a little too strong....:pac:.

Dealers are unlikely to discount them if demand is strong.
    but then no one's gonna touch one after july?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They were only getting 2.5k anyway no?

ELM327 wrote: »
    They were only getting 2.5k anyway no?
    no 5k going down to 2.5k in july

JohnC. wrote: »
    Bound to be more than Kona, surely?
    i imagine so,i see the kona electric is 38k-might be getting the enyaq after all!

in Germany kona electric-€35500 /ioniq 5 €42000 so we can probably expect the same difference over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

You can configure on the German Hyundai site - https://konfigurator.hyundai.de/configure/ioniq-5/46/V1/139/trims

base ev6 £40895 in uk(that's pounds now!)

Base model only 170 Hp ?

I looked at the options, very expensive. Could easily make this car 70K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

Base model only 170 Hp ?

I looked at the options, very expensive. Could easily make this car 70K

The Koreans are not messing about, they are playing with the likes of Tesla, Mercedes etc... who would have imagined this scenario...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't worry, by the time Hyundai Ireland get their hands on it they'll have removed all the options, it's seems that a lot of Irish people see paying for something extra as being ripped off that's it not included in the first place.

liamog wrote: »
    Don't worry, by the time Hyundai Ireland get their hands on it they'll have removed all the options, it's seems that a lot of Irish people see paying for something extra as being ripped off that's it not included in the first place.

Indeed, very interesting to see what Hyundai Ireland import.......

liamog wrote: »

True but they tend to leave the price as is, basically sell something worse for the same amount of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,220 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Serious mk2 golf vibes on steroids obviously

Have to say I like it

uk prices announced, £37k pounds for base ioniq 5/spec doesn't seem too bad?.don't know what we'll get though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://insideevs.com/news/506073/hyundai-ioniq-5-prices-specifications/

Surprised that V2L is only available on premium trim and Ultimate level and Gbp365 extra, given how much coverage it got in all the reviews. I presumed it would be standard in all versions.

Eco pack (battery warming and heat pump) another Gbp1,195 and only on ultimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Very disappointing about the V2L alright. GBP365 is not a terrible price to pay for it, a good half decent pure sine wave inverter that can output 3.7kW for use in your home would cost that. Disappointing is that you can only get it on the higher spec cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If they're doing that in the UK, got knows how they'll strip it down here.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    If they're doing that in the UK, got knows how they'll strip it down here.

Rear seats are an option in the ultimate trim, in lower trims the passengers have to stand :D

Hyundai IONIQ 5 Review – Let me show you what IONIQ 5 looks like at Night!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMiCWwSWt4g

Not sure what to make of this the more I see of it. Screen seems a big laggy and more plastic then I thought on the inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKuy2EvsDXM
    We drove the Hyundai IONIQ 5 until the END! – The Ultimate EV Car Range Test with the IONIQ 5!

we gotta install microwave ovens....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Good review from fully charged..

https://youtu.be/c2tHJD6mMbE

I think this has a few key advantages over the id4. V2l being great for people who love camping and the outdoors. Opens up huge opportunities for campsites with no electric being a lot more family friendly.

Lantus wrote: »
    Good review from fully charged..

https://youtu.be/c2tHJD6mMbE

I think this has a few key advantages over the id4. V2l being great for people who love camping and the outdoors. Opens up huge opportunities for campsites with no electric being a lot more family friendly.

I certainly wouldn't buy the car based on it's ability to pull some AC power, it's a great idea of course but a hundred Watts or few hundred watts of Solar Pv and a battery might might work just as well, there's even rollable solar Pv panels these days.

I certainly wouldn't buy the car based on it's ability to pull some AC power, it's a great idea of course but a hundred Watts or few hundred watts of Solar Pv and a battery might might work just as well, there's even rollable solar Pv panels these days.

I'd have bought it last weekend, had a power cut for half the day. Heat pump, electric cooking, the house is literally useless without power

I'd have bought it last weekend, had a power cut for half the day. Heat pump, electric cooking, the house is literally useless without power

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator, all i'm saying is that i wouldn't let it be the factor in my decision to purchase the car.

it's not going to power your house, cooker or heat pump. so might as well have a generator, do the same thing or just get an inverter and connect it to a normal Ev 12v battery with the car powered on.

the ioniq 5 doesn't as far as i'm aware doesn't have the ability to connect to power the whole house in the event of a power cut that would probably be a v2G system to allow that.

• Advertisement

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator

banned

:p

unkel wrote: »
    banned

:p

anim_63.gif

Seriously though, there are other alternatives like a generator, all i'm saying is that i wouldn't let it be the factor in my decision to purchase the car.

Well, if you're already spending the money and the V2G feature is a few hundered extra, then I'd say it's worth it

I wouldn't switch from the lowest trim to the highest just to get the V2G, that would be some fairly strange economics :)
    it's not going to power your house, cooker or heat pump. so might as well have a generator, do the same thing or just get an inverter and connect it to a normal Ev 12v battery with the car powered on. the ioniq 5 doesn't as far as i'm aware doesn't have the ability to connect to power the whole house in the event of a power cut that would probably be a v2G system to allow that.

That's the plan :DIn the short term I wouldn't attempt to power the entire house from the car, but if I can get enough to power the fridge and the microwave or an electric heater then that'll be plenty for a power cut

In the long term I'm planning to get Solar PV and batteries, so that'll offset the power cut situation somewhat, but I could still use the car to augment this setup

I imagine Hyundai will be bringing out a wallbox which can take advantage of the V2G capabilities of the car. I'm guessing it'll be along the form of a Zappi charger in reverse, where it senses the house is importing power and draws power from the car to offset this if possible

This could be used to trickle charge the house batteries if they get low in winter

If I had free work charging (looking at you Mad_lad ;)) and could spare around 10kWh from the car each day I could also bring home a day's worth of electricity to charge up the house batteries with

Now that's what I'd call carry home fuel :D

• Advertisement

It's a USP which together with multiple other points give it an edge. Running a fridge and kettle or coffee machine when camping is just brilliant. Combined with a big boot and tow bar and hopefully roof bars this becomes a versatile family machine.

There is an id4 thread on diy wiring the hv circuit to do same so clearly it's a desirable element.

People buy cars on shape colour and fashion alone. Purchase on highly practical and functional elements seems sensible by comparison!

It's a USP which together with multiple other points give it an edge. Running a fridge and kettle or coffee machine when camping is just brilliant. Combined with a big boot and tow bar and hopefully roof bars this becomes a versatile family machine.

Agreed. It's a fairly easy modification to have functionality like this in pretty much any EV for very little money. You need to have a fused loop onto your 12V aux battery, connect a pure sine wave inverter to it, of far less power than the car's DC-DC converter (and less max amperage well less than the fuse) and Bob's your uncle. My own system cost about €140 and the bulk of that was the inverter (just 600W). The car needs to be switched on though (so the DC-DC converter can provide the juice, not the lead acid battery itself or you'll be stranded in no time :D)

I drove around with a microwave oven in the frunk of my car for a while. Never used it - didn't go camping or hiking during that time - but the idea was cool :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If I had free work charging (looking at you Mad_lad ;)) and could spare around 10kWh from the car each day I could also bring home a day's worth of electricity to charge up the house batteries with

Now that's what I'd call carry home fuel :D

Charging a battery to charge a battery to supply a house is grossly inefficient, you'd want to serious look at any savings versus battery management

slave1 wrote: »
    Charging a battery to charge a battery to supply a house is grossly inefficient, you'd want to serious look at any savings versus battery management

I agree, but when energy is free then everyone tends to stop caring about efficiency :)

I suppose another way of looking at it would be that you can augment you battery capacity in winter when you're likely not getting enough from solar panels to cover your daily usage

There is an id4 thread on diy wiring the hv circuit to do same so clearly it's a desirable element.

People buy cars on shape colour and fashion alone. Purchase on highly practical and functional elements seems sensible by comparison!

lol surely the attraction to getting out camping is leaving the electronics at home ?

lol surely the attraction to getting out camping is leaving the electronics at home ?

True but unless you want cold beans you'll need something to cook on, and personally I prefer electric to gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf. Many people will be carrying phones for cameras and drones for capturing video etc. There's always power consumption for camping

True but unless you want cold beans you'll need something to cook on, and personally I prefer electric to gas
    listermint wrote: »
    Tbf. Many people will be carrying phones for cameras and drones for capturing video etc. There's always power consumption for camping

FFS might as well go to a BnB then.

I can just imagine some people going camping glued to tablets and phones in a tent, Children and all then complaining they're bored because they're doing what they do all day long anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kop-end

I seen this coming up in Aldi on Wednesday, will this be of any help ?

Auto XS Power Inverter for just €29.99. Check it out: https://www.aldi.ie/p/804720466469800

Yes, but not cold beer. A line must be drawn. I'm an adventurer, not an animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement