Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭148multi

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Often wondered if you set up scaffolding trestles with a metal deck that you could drop the bag on and place the spreader under it, the idea is it would be portable so handy for out farms.

Kwikstage scaffolding would definitely work, whether the hsa would be happy with it, I think you're only allowed something like 200kg on a loading bay, plus the weight of double planking.
    But if you had a frame made wit angle iron, done right it would be as strong as a 7" rsj, but as light as planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

148multi wrote: »
    Kwikstage scaffolding I think you're only allowed something like 200kg .

200kg would be a blocklayer..................
    a 1.2m x 2.4m standard bay can carry a load of 250kg per m/sq or 750kg per bay......................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

stock> wrote: »
    200kg would be a blocklayer..................
    a 1.2m x 2.4m standard bay can carry a load of 250kg per m/sq or 750kg per bay......................

Animal of a blocklayer, he'd be tipping the scales at 32 stone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭Grueller

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Animal of a blocklayer, he'd be tipping the scales at 32 stone ...

The blocklayer that laid the blocks here on my house is a savage alcoholic, deli counter connoisseur. I'd say 20 stone would be his weight.
    His labourer on the other hand has to do all, and I mean all of the going for him all bar leaving the block on the course for him. He is probably 11 stone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Grueller wrote: »
    The blocklayer that laid the blocks here on my house is a savage alcoholic, deli counter connoisseur. I'd say 20 stone would be his weight.
    His labourer on the other hand has to do all, and I mean all of the going for him all bar leaving the block on the course for him. He is probably 11 stone.

That's often the case, the blocklayer would tell you he was flat out and there'd be no word about the labourer that was doing all the donkey work. The blockie roaring and shouting if everything wasn't at arm's length and or handed to him with the other man up and down ladders, carrying mortar and blocks and not having time to look around him.

Having said that the man that done most of the block laying locally in recent years worked single handedly and was a total animal to get through work. I'd say he was about 10 stone max and tbh I tried helping him a few times but I was only getting in the way. He made his own mix and I'd throw a few blocks up to him and otherwise stay out of the way. I think he's semi retired now but if hard work makes you rich then he should be a billionaire by right. He could lift 4 inch blocks like I'd lift a loaf of bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

148multi wrote: »
    Kwikstage scaffolding would definitely work, whether the hsa would be happy with it, I think you're only allowed something like 200kg on a loading bay, plus the weight of double planking.

A Kwikstage 8 foot loading bay will take 1500 kg on the bay.
    That could be using loading bay transoms and single planked or double planked and a standard transom.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

A Kwikstage 8 foot loading bay will take 1500 kg on the bay.
    That could be using loading bay transoms and single planked or double planked and a standard transom.

No! according to the manual it is a max of 750kg per bay for scaffold bay, anything more would be a load bay which is heavier type of scaffold....................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

No! according to the manual it is a max of 750kg per bay for scaffold bay, anything more would be a load bay which is heavier type of scaffold....................

Just different planks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Figerty

dzer2 wrote: »
    Just different planks

Stack pallets.. put the back on that stack.. put the back close to the edge and funnel out..

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Panjandrums

A loading bay is 8' by 8' and not a standard 4' by 8'.

I'm still wrong just had a look at the manual and it's 20kn per lift which is 2000kg

Although if you tell someone it's 2T they will put 2.5T on it, you're better off telling them 1.5T and then when they do overload, it's still safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

What about a few blocks laid like a tank stan and a Slat or a few precast lentils could be another way out of it. Block to the required height of spreader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭148multi

A loading bay is 8' by 8' and not a standard 4' by 8'.

I'm still wrong just had a look at the manual and it's 20kn per lift which is 2000kg

Although if you tell someone it's 2T they will put 2.5T on it, you're better off telling them 1.5T and then when they do overload, it's still safe.

I'd nearly felt happier if you didn't tell me that 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭muddle84

Has anybody been tempted by the plasma cutter in Lidl this week:

https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-18th-wed-24th-february-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

muddle84 wrote: »

https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-18th-wed-24th-february-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/18

Tempted, the only thing putting me off is their welders are crap, what are the chances of the plasma cutter being the same, then again plasma cutters are a bit like stick welders in that there is'nt an awful lot too them provided they don't let out the smoke the first time you switch it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tempted, the only thing putting me off is their welders are crap, what are the chances of the plasma cutter being the same, then again plasma cutters are a bit like stick welders in that there is'nt an awful lot too them provided they don't let out the smoke the first time you switch it on.

It's ok up to 6mm
    Heavier than that it is slow. Make sure to buy the box of consumables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

I bought one but havent used it yet.
    My reasoning is i dont really know the amount of use i would have for one so a cheap one to start with is the way to go. If i het an aweful lot of use out of it it would make me consider getting s better one . Plus a 3 year warranty is good to have on it . If i use it a lot and it breaks , i hand it back . If i dont use it a cheap plasma cutter sits in the box , not much money wasted.
    I looked at reviews on them and are generally good . Struggles a bit at thicker stuff 10 to 12 mm but supposedly will cut it with patience .
    The local engineering lad reckons it shouldnt have a hope in hell of cutting the heavier stuff as he has a 60a expensive one that struggles.
    The other worry he had was availability of consumables. Its seems to be a standard head , so they are available .
    If ye follow youtube, mr cvx has one and seems to do a bit of work with it , cutting brackets for repairs and doesnt complain about it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭emaherx

My Welder Fabricator friend, advised me to pick up one of those Plasma cutters if they came around again.

He got one for his own personal use and said its grand for any cutting that I'd need.

I bought one too! Have a few jobs coming up to tidy up the tractor cab and doors so will be handy for cutting sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I’m going to get one of the little sand blasters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Just after getting the plasma and sand gun and magnets and loads of other thrumpfrey there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Had one, waste of money, probably you'll need some patience using one. You might also need to change fitting to plug into your airline.

Edit; it was a different one I had, here is a review for the one on sale

timple23 wrote: »
    Had one, waste of money, probably you'll need some patience using one. You might also need to change fitting to plug into your airline.

Edit; it was a different one I had, here is a review for the one on sale

I had that type of sandblaster before and it works ok for very small patches. I ended up replacing it with something similar to this and this works much better.

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/sealey-sb995-shot-blasting-kit-40kg-capacity?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bwBFjvJlQz4R1tuEOks8HmrIBiO4XUbgB8E_2dIxINNgMmpLK-Mxb0aAuwZEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I had that type of sandblaster before and it works ok for very small patches. I ended up replacing it with something similar to this and this works much better.

https://www.dwtoolshop.com/ie/sealey-sb995-shot-blasting-kit-40kg-capacity?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bwBFjvJlQz4R1tuEOks8HmrIBiO4XUbgB8E_2dIxINNgMmpLK-Mxb0aAuwZEALw_wcB

Is that just a barrel/hopper that drops sand into the airflow? Are they a better design than the pot type blasters? What litre compressor are you using.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭endainoz

I ended up buying one of the sand blaster yokes, would be handy working in conjunction with a a grinder/wire brush rather than using it all for a job. Will be using it to prep a cab for an 8011 for painting so we'll see how it goes. The grit won't last too long anyway, so will need a decent amount of that.

It recommends to have a compressor of at least 50litres.

timple23 wrote: »
    Is that just a barrel/hopper that drops sand into the airflow? Are they a better design than the pot type blasters? What litre compressor are you using.

Yeah exactly. I think they are better than the small aldi type one. Ive never used the pot so i wouldn't know about them. They can hold a full 25kg bag of grit.

I use a 200L SIP compressor, it doesn't have the airflow power to keep the pressure up with this type blaster so patience is still required, you will be able to blast for 10 minutes, then 5 minute break to let the air build up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

endainoz wrote: »
    I ended up buying one of the sand blaster yokes, would be handy working in conjunction with a a grinder/wire brush rather than using it all for a job. Will be using it to prep a cab for an 8011 for painting so we'll see how it goes. The grit won't last too long anyway, so will need a decent amount of that.

It recommends to have a compressor of at least 50litres.

Get some of the kiln sand thats brushed between paving if you run out of grit. Thats what we use but make sure you have plenty of ppe on.

Advertisement