Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Get some of the kiln sand thats brushed between paving if you run out of grit. Thats what we use but make sure you have plenty of ppe on.

Anyone know how many shovels in a one tonne bag of gravel..? Need about 200 shovels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Anyone know how many shovels in a one tonne bag of gravel..? Need about 200 shovels.

What size shovel have you I've only a snow shovel hereðŸ˜

lab man wrote: »
    What size shovel have you I've only a snow shovel hereðŸ˜

Unless your a beast of a man you wouldn't last long shovelling gravel with a snow shovel. I would say that 99%of shovels used in building trade are the same size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Well there was 9 shovels in the 50kg bags of cement so working off that you would be looking at 180 shovels in a tonne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Well there was 9 shovels in the 50kg bags of cement so working off that you would be looking at 180 shovels in a tonne.

Fairly right
    I reckon a tone bag yields about ⅔ m³ of concrete so about 13 standard mixes at 15 shovels a mix = 195 shovel fulls. There abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

Get some of the kiln sand thats brushed between paving if you run out of grit. Thats what we use but make sure you have plenty of ppe on.

You really shouldn't use sand for shotblasting, it can result in Silicosis!

https://www.gritco.com/can-i-use-just-any-sand-for-blasting#:~:text=No%2C%20abrasives%20which%20contain%20more,1%25%20free%20silica%20are%20forbidden.&text=Nowadays%2C%20it's%20clear%20that%20exposure,and%20hardening%20of%20the%20lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Suckler

muddle84 wrote: »

I've read about guys using crushed walnut shells. No idea where you'd source them. Seem to be used around engine parts/ valve seats etc. so mightn't be suitable for heavy duty stripping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭Grueller

Local lad here made a machine to crush glass. He takes all of the bottles off of the two local hotels and crushes them through it. Does a good share of blasting for hire with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Hideing fencer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We have the air fed mask that your head is completely covered any your not inhaling the air around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭muddle84

We have the air fed mask that your head is completely covered any your not inhaling the air around you.

In sure you know what youre doing, but probably not the best idea to advise people to do that without highlighting the risk too!

Fairly right
    I reckon a tone bag yields about ⅔ m³ of concrete so about 13 standard mixes at 15 shovels a mix = 195 shovel fulls. There abouts.

Thanks for reply.The one ton bag should just about do the job

Father got the cage from an ibc in work. Repurposed as a silage feeder for some ewe lambs

https://flic.kr/p/2kDnfin

Saw this strainer today whilst out for a walk. Each strand could be strained and locked . Fair bit of engineering in it and looks like it was forge made.

https://flic.kr/p/2kDLb2D

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Saw this strainer today whilst out for a walk. Each strand could be strained and locked . Fair bit of engineering in it and looks like it was forge made.

https://flic.kr/p/2kDLb2D

On an old railway line........................................

stock> wrote: »
    On an old railway line........................................

Is that where it would be from?. There was an old railway line from Enfield to edenderry that wpuld have passed within a few hundred yards if that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Has anybody been tempted by the plasma cutter in Lidl this week:

https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-18th-wed-24th-february-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/18

I bought one of these over the week end it comes with a 16 A industrial plug
    I only has 13A standard plugs, I got it for cutting light stuff around the yard.
    Do I need to wire a 16A from the fuse box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

SCOL wrote: »
    I bought one of these over the week end it comes with a 16 A industrial plug
    I only has 13A standard plugs, I got it for cutting light stuff around the yard.
    Do I need to wire a 16A from the fuse box ?

If there's a 20 A mcb/fuse protecting the circuit you could swap the 13A wall mounted socket for a 16 A blue socket. Then buy or make up a 16 to 13 adapter for when you want to use the standard 13A 3 pin plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Regret not taking a punt on that plasma cutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Regret not taking a punt on that plasma cutter!

Still some hanging around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

About 20 years ago I had to fill bags of barley with a shovel, it was impossible to fill them holding the shovel with one hand and the bag with the other. this device has paid for itself many times over since and is still in use this morning. :D:D

544658.jpg

544659.jpg

544657.jpg
    544658.jpg
    544659.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

About 20 years ago I had to fill bags of barley with a shovel, it was impossible to fill them holding the shovel with one hand and the bag with the other. this device has paid for itself many times over since and is still in use this morning. :D:D

544657.jpg
    544658.jpg
    544659.jpg

I think Polo Mints have the patent on that one...
    Great solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I had similar, I was searching around for it, to be told that it had been dumped, "what good was it, it had no bottom".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Back 10 years ago, when builders were selling their dumpers and diggers to Poland and their scaffolding to scrap iron merchants, my neighbour put up a yard on his out-farm.
    Scaffolding could be bought for 3 to 4 euro a piece at that time.
    I think it turned out well.
    3tqHAua.jpg

SZDdIGD.jpg

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Back 10 years ago, when builders were selling their dumpers and diggers to Poland and their scaffolding to scrap iron merchants, my neighbour put up a yard on his out-farm.
    Scaffolding could be bought for 3 to 4 euro a piece at that time.
    I think it turned out well.
    3tqHAua.jpg

SZDdIGD.jpg

Did he weld them?. Was thinking of doing the same here to divide a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, just welded them to 4 inch uprights.
    Had an engine driven welder, a mini digger and a cement mixer on a tractor and did the whole lot one weekend.
    No cutting tubing to lenght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

i see lidl are selling a chain hoist, https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-25th-wed-3rd-feb-mar-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/32
    i'm half thinking of making a gantry to lift half ton fertiliser bags, just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
    it would have to be fairly high inorder to lift above the spreader

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jfh wrote: »
    i see lidl are selling a chain hoist, https://www.lidl.ie/leaflet/thur-25th-wed-3rd-feb-mar-2021-ie/view/flyer/page/32
    i'm half thinking of making a gantry to lift half ton fertiliser bags, just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
    it would have to be fairly high inorder to lift above the spreader

I did just that. Works fine. Takes about 2 mins to hoist up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110073644&postcount=15

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

I did just that. Works fine. Takes about 2 mins to hoist up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110073644&postcount=15

Hi patsy, mind me asking where you got the frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

jfh wrote: »
    Hi patsy, mind me asking where you got the frame?

I made it myself. It's made from 75mm channel and I got it galvanised.
    You need to have it a good bit off the ground too, allowing for the hoist, bag strap etc.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement