Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Putting up 2 shed uprights at the moment. I had one up today but its slightly off vertical. Has anyone here ever put one up and if so, how did you get it right?
    I put some shims (tin strips) in under the base plate, but it was still hard to get right. I've 4 bolts set already in the concrete.
    I want to put them up and concrete them in before going any further.
    Put a 10mm shim under the middle of plate and then use bolts to plumb column. 50mm square plate or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Put a 10mm shim under the middle of plate and then use bolts to plumb column. 50mm square plate or thereabouts.

Have you seen this done? Sounds like it would work alright. Concrete would flow in then underneath and level perfectly.

I don't have the truss made up yet. I was going to drill the holes on it by offering it up.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

Putting up 2 shed uprights at the moment. I had one up today but its slightly off vertical. Has anyone here ever put one up and if so, how did you get it right?
    I put some shims (tin strips) in under the base plate, but it was still hard to get right. I've 4 bolts set already in the concrete.
    I want to put them up and concrete them in before going any further.

If you had both standing you could clamp a long angle iron at 45 degrees from top of one to bottom of other and vice versa.
    If you had room under base plate put 4 nuts on first then stand your pillar and 4 nuts on top an adjust then

If you had both standing you could clamp a long angle iron at 45 degrees from top of one to bottom of other and vice versa.
    If you had room under base plate put 4 nuts on first then stand your pillar and 4 nuts on top an adjust then

I haven't enough thread to do this. :mad: I could get away with a 5mm thick plate under the center alright.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I haven't tried this, but it should work. Have you a couple of cheap plastic magnetic spirit levels patsy to keep an eye on as you tighten down the nuts? I don't think much concrete is going to flow into a 10mm gap though, so have a couple of iron wedges to go under the edge of the footplate as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

I haven't enough thread to do this. :mad: I could get away with a 5mm thick plate under the center alright.

Grind 4 nuts down to 5mm!! This is the gunthering thread afterall :D

Have you seen this done? Sounds like it would work alright. Concrete would flow in then underneath and level perfectly.

I don't have the truss made up yet. I was going to drill the holes on it by offering it up.

I worked as a steel erector in a past life, done it several hundred times, works 100%.

Don't be afraid to put more than 10mm shims under it if need be, i'd often use 20-30-40mm worth of shims under columns on sites where the pads were poured badly off level. once built then you shutter around base plate and grout underneath baseplate, drill a pour hole in the baseplate for the liquid grout to pour into as it makes life easier.

Did you set the hold down bolts in the pad or are you using through bolts drilled down into pad?

I'm only putting up 2 pillars. I'm adding a bay to a low curved roof. Covering an existing yard. The uprights won't be in a yard as such, but outside existing wall.

I welded up a 75mm angle frame and put the bolts tru holes in frame and welded at back. I dug 2 holes then and set frames in place and poured concrete to about 1 foot from top. Holes about 750 x750 x 750mm. I've some rebar sticking up too to grip top pour of concrete.
    Placed the uprights then with base plates in place and took levels then with laser off existing shed. Cut top off pillars then and welded top plates in place. Off to be galvanised then.

Very long winded but levels were impossible with wall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

I worked as a steel erector in a past life, done it several hundred times, works 100%.

Don't be afraid to put more than 10mm shims under it if need be, i'd often use 20-30-40mm worth of shims under columns on sites where the pads were poured badly off level. once built then you shutter around base plate and grout underneath baseplate, drill a pour hole in the baseplate for the liquid grout to pour into as it makes life easier.

Did you set the hold down bolts in the pad or are you using through bolts drilled down into pad?

This is correct have hundreds of units stood in leinster this way. If you have the uprights made without the pour hole. Just shutter around the plate leaving 15mm all round the fill with non shrink grout the job will last a life time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Very long winded but levels were impossible with wall etc.

I know laser levels have taken over completely but there's still always a use for the water hose level even if its just for the fun of seeing it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

Probably a bit late now but I bolted the baseplate down first n welded the rsj to the baseplate on the last shed I done, not great if it's galvanized but otherwise hassle free enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Has anybody a picture or link to something that was constructed/guntered to hang up a half tonne fert bag off? I've a few ideas in my head of how to do it off a standalone upright beside a shed or even a strong branch of a tree. But I would like to see is there some genius way of doing it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm gonna say ,
    Don't go hanging it off a tree branch , it's half a ton ,possibly swinging a bit , and youre gonna be under it ... What ever your going to do ,don't skimp on the safety part of it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm gonna say ,
    Don't go hanging it off a tree branch , it's half a ton ,possibly swinging a bit , and youre gonna be under it ... What ever your going to do ,don't skimp on the safety part of it ...

Haha your idea of a tree branch and my idea of a tree branch may be a little different. But we'll see. The tree branch idea would be a last resort as I'm looking for a more permanent fixture.
    I more wondering about the connection used when transfering the bag from a front loader. I see a problem with it being sore on let's say a bale spike/forks during the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Haha your idea of a tree branch and my idea of a tree branch may be a little different. But we'll see. The tree branch idea would be a last resort as I'm looking for a more permanent fixture.
    I more wondering about the connection used when transfering the bag from a front loader. I see a problem with it being sore on let's say a bale spike/forks during the operation.
    Forget about hanging it lift the bag up on some kind of frame with a hole in the middle so you can cut the bag with your spreader underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Has anybody a picture or link to something that was constructed/guntered to hang up a half tonne fert bag off? I've a few ideas in my head of how to do it off a standalone upright beside a shed or even a strong branch of a tree. But I would like to see is there some genius way of doing it.

Thanks
    A friend of mine did it simple with a block and tackle off a horizontal RSJ in a shed. Other option is using something like a raimo big bag dispenser and leave bag on something like a trailer. Final option may be a crane

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

From this unused gas cage ..
    cQysgM.jpg
    To this.... anyone fancy a guess for its next use ...

iY3uV6.jpg

Fbqkzr.jpg

This is what I made up out of an old gas cage .. Still going strong 2 years later .

A friend of mine did it simple with a block and tackle off a horizontal RSJ in a shed. Other option is using something like a raimo big bag dispenser and leave bag on something like a trailer. Final option may be a crane

I have the bag dispenser,got it in November but I'm looking for a one man operation type jobbie.

Renandstimpy has the a great idea. I like it. Also I forgot about the block and tackle that's been thrown in the shed also.

Thank you both.

This has worked fine for me. Hoist takes about a minute to lift up. Grand for the few bags I spread every year.

Bolts are m20 and steel is 75mm channel.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=110073644&postcount=15

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Thanks
    Was thinking of using an old forklift arm against a vertical rsj of a shed in a quiet place around the yard. Weld it . It would be high enough that the tractor cab wouldn’t hit it.

• Advertisement

jntsnk wrote: »
    Was thinking of using an old forklift arm against a vertical rsj of a shed in a quiet place around the yard. Weld it . It would be high enough that the tractor cab wouldn’t hit it.

Nearly as cheap to buy an old forklift as just a mast. If you are on concrete the whole time it could be used a bit around a yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nearly as cheap to buy an old forklift as just a mast. If you are on concrete the whole time it could be used a bit around a yard.

100 euro or less

100 euro or less

Haven't seen a mast that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Can you hinge the forklift toe off the rsj and fold out of the way when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I saw a brace on a rsj a few years ago. On the face of it it looks a nice simple job.
    Putting the bag on the brace was not simple, the loader spike needed to miss the brace, and rsj. and transferring the bag resulted in stress on both horizontal and vertical plane to the brace. It was only a matter of time before the bolts came loose.
    Also the spreader was backed in very close to the pillar a mid judgement and you.d hit d pillar.
    After I saw the operation In progress I thought itwas a total dogs dinner. And thats before anyine stood under d bag to open it.Your man was fierce proud of his engineering.
    I'd agree with some sort of stand or frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I saw a brace on a rsj a few years ago. On the face of it it looks a nice simple job.
    Putting the bag on the brace was not simple, the loader spike needed to miss the brace, and rsj. and transferring the bag resulted in stress on both horizontal and vertical plane to the brace. It was only a matter of time before the bolts came loose.
    Also the spreader was backed in very close to the pillar a mid judgement and you.d hit d pillar.
    After I saw the operation In progress I thought itwas a total dogs dinner. And thats before anyine stood under d bag to open it.Your man was fierce proud of his engineering.
    I'd agree with some sort of stand or frame.

A knife stuck to the end of a 4 bar someway is an extra safety idea. Just in case any bag should fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Jb1989 wrote: »
    A knife stuck to the end of a 4 bar someway is an extra safety idea. Just in case any bag should fall.

I use a slash hook to start off the process, have a nice edge on it.
    . Have a stanley knife once its flowing
    Last year was loading with d loader one old bag of 18.6.12. Was not a pretty site. D bag was maybe 6 month n d yard. It sounded like it was going to break lifting it up I stood well back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I use a slash hook to start off the process, have a nice edge on it.
    . Have a stanley knife once its flowing
    Last year was loading with d loader one old bag of 18.6.12. Was not a pretty site. D bag was maybe 6 month n d yard. It sounded like it was going to break lifting it up I stood well back

Slash hook is ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Often wondered if you set up scaffolding trestles with a metal deck that you could drop the bag on and place the spreader under it, the idea is it would be portable so handy for out farms.

• Advertisement

I have a block and tackle hung from a rafter in the shed, it's done the job for the last few years, not a great setup by any stretch but i'll build a proper steel frame when funds allow.

Advertisement