Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭randd1

James McClean is an insufferable gobsh*te and brings it all on himself

I don't blame him for not wearing the poppy. He's entitled not to.

But yeah, he's a bit thick and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Antares35 wrote: »
    How can you be 100 percent sure you're earning 2-3 times their salary if you don't know what they earn now?

I know what other workers with the same experience and job in the same place earn so I am pretty sure what they earn to within a grand or so plus a few hints from the lads themselves.

Having said that must be nice to clock on and off. Home at 5pm and that’s it. Just a job. Work to live not live to work as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The greatest MMA movie of all time is “
    here comes the boom”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

jackboy wrote: »
    Most Cadbury’s products are disgusting. A small few are ok.

Nonsense, if youve got taste buds them Cadbury choc tastes amazing, its a treat for the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Everyone that has made it is because they get a leg up, exploited people or was in a “who you know not what you know” situation.

Many succesful people earned their wealth but theirs still far too many who didnt or got it from fecking over others. Theirs also too many people who think their sh**e smells of roses just because they have money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ugly as a cabbage patch doll too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

randd1 wrote: »
    I don't blame him for not wearing the poppy. He's entitled not to.

But yeah, he's a bit thick and it shows.

its convenient and easy what he does , if he was as staunch a republican as he likes to portray himself as , he would ply his trade in France or some other country but not the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

This is the lad who posted a picture of himself with a balaclava while ‘teaching’ his kids?

Gob****e. Can give it but can’t take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

vriesmays wrote: »
    A lot of facts are also unpopular opinions in Ireland worldwide

Fixed that for you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nonsense, if youve got taste buds them Cadbury choc tastes amazing, its a treat for the gods.

Which reminds me, I think Hershey's chocolate actually tastes like vomit. It has that edge to it like the feeling of bile you get in your throat before throwing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Stupidest thing about it, 98% of those who laud him for sticking it to the Brits would be organising some sort of petition if a LOI player played regular lip service to flute bands, the Orange Order and paramilitary groups ad nauseum. I like McClean, he hasn't been great lately but he put in shifts down the years. But he does bring it on himself, it isn't the poppy thing it is the blatant IRA support down the years.

Even stupider, 96% of that group would think the LOI is shiet and never watch it anyway, and despite their barstool patriotism their biggest passion in life is roaring for Liverpool/ Man U down the pub every weekend*.

*: they and their media brethern for dross like joe.ie will also bore you to death every World Cup with long winded mental gymnastics about how Man U and Liverpool are not really English teams because of their Irish population/ foreign owners/ multinational squads/ the North West traditionally being neglected by London and thus somehow not as English as the South/ not a West Brits Irish team like Chelsea/ their Irish player traditions despite it being close on a decade since an Irish player got serious game time with MU, and 15 odd years since Steve Finnan left Liverpool and Robbie had a sub par run out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Stupidest thing about it, 98% of those who laud him for sticking it to the Brits would be organising some sort of petition if a LOI player played regular lip service to flute bands, the Orange Order and paramilitary groups ad nauseum. I like McClean, he hasn't been great lately but he put in shifts down the years. But he does bring it on himself, it isn't the poppy thing it is the blatant IRA support down the years.

Even stupider, 96% of that group would think the LOI is shiet and never watch it anyway, and despite their barstool patriotism their biggest passion in life is roaring for Liverpool/ Man U down the pub every weekend*.

*: they and their media brethern for dross like joe.ie will also bore you to death every World Cup with long winded mental gymnastics about how Man U and Liverpool are not really English teams because of their Irish population/ foreign owners/ multinational squads/ the North West traditionally being neglected by London and thus somehow not as English as the South/ not a West Brits Irish team like Chelsea/ their Irish player traditions despite it being close on a decade since an Irish player got serious game time with MU, and 15 odd years since Steve Finnan left Liverpool and Robbie had a sub par run out there.

Not to mention their ire when you tell 'em that Celtic aren't an Irish Team no matter who they were founded by but that hey, if their "Patriotism" is to be Scots-Irish or something then why not include Hibs too; as worthy of their support as Celtic using that "Irish Abroad" logic.

Amazing how anti-British we become when it suits us; the soccer boys, the doofus outside Croke Pk. saying "No to Foreign Sports" donning a Rovers jersey on the day of the England game; we'd already played 1 6N Game there already but it was like, nah, let's wait for England to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Not to mention their ire when you tell 'em that Celtic aren't an Irish Team no matter who they were founded by but that hey, if their "Patriotism" is to be Scots-Irish or something then why not include Hibs too; as worthy of their support as Celtic using that "Irish Abroad" logic.

Amazing how anti-British we become when it suits us; the soccer boys, the doofus outside Croke Pk. saying "No to Foreign Sports" donning a Rovers jersey on the day of the England game; we'd already played 1 6N Game there already but it was like, nah, let's wait for England to do this.

It has to be one of the most bizarre things about Irish people and their obsession with UK teams.

The Celtic thing i one of the mot. There are people in Ireland who do really and truly think they're somehow an Irish club. It would actually almot be an embarrassment if Celtic were to draw a LOI team in Europe as there would be more people at the home game for the LOI team there to support Celtic!

Someone who i know from Cork who would live maybe 10/15 minutes from Turnners Cross but is a Liverpool fan. His first time in Turners Cross was for a friendly where Cork City played Liverpool's U23 team!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People make all the excuses under the sun not to follow football teams from this country while simultaneously claiming themselves to be massive football fans. Some of these people have literally never been to see their team play. That's nuts to me. Fellas doing home and away trips are massive football fans. As the GAA says, nothing beats being there. The majority that do go seem to treat it like a social media day out. Have to hit the club shop and get an awkward picture near the corner flag while a blurry figure in red takes a throw in.

The main excuse for ignoring or denigrating our league is standard. That would be fine except it never applies in other circles. You'd never get a Galway man supporting Dublin GAA because they're better. Same as the Irish Football team. Surely if standard is the issue, it'd be Spain or something you'd follow. Imagine saying to a fan of Wycombe Wanderers that the standard is crap and they're just like ''Yeah I'm from here''.

But the most ironic of it all is that most these people claiming English teams as theirs and saying ''we'' and ''us'' seem to despise the Brits in every other walk of life... especially football. The mental gymnastics is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Greyfox wrote: »

I used to love chocolate.
    Chocolate , unless fancy stuff , is utter gash these days esp Cadbury.
    Probably happened when Kraft took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He engaged with nutters and failed to step away from social media.

And er no, a pic with a balaclava isn't "funny".
    Eegit should have put the shovel away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Omackeral wrote: »
    People make all the excuses under the sun not to follow football teams from this country while simultaneously claiming themselves to be massive football fans. Some of these people have literally never been to see their team play. That's nuts to me. Fellas doing home and away trips are massive football fans. As the GAA says, nothing beats being there. The majority that do go seem to treat it like a social media day out. Have to hit the club shop and get an awkward picture near the corner flag while a blurry figure in red takes a throw in.

The main excuse for ignoring or denigrating our league is standard. That would be fine except it never applies in other circles. You'd never get a Galway man supporting Dublin GAA because they're better. Same as the Irish Football team. Surely if standard is the issue, it'd be Spain or something you'd follow. Imagine saying to a fan of Wycombe Wanderers that the standard is crap and they're just like ''Yeah I'm from here''.

But the most ironic of it all is that most these people claiming English teams as theirs and saying ''we'' and ''us'' seem to despise the Brits in every other walk of life... especially football. The mental gymnastics is impressive.

I’m from Wicklow but supported Meath

cms88 wrote: »

The Celtic thing i one of the mot. There are people in Ireland who do really and truly think they're somehow an Irish club. It would actually almot be an embarrassment if Celtic were to draw a LOI team in Europe as there would be more people at the home game for the LOI team there to support Celtic!

Can never understand how people can slate the LOI for quality but can leave a window open every weekend to watch Celtic batter this season's relegation fodder 5 nil (most seasons anyway)

Old Firm and Europe I'll give you, but this has as much competitive enjoyment as France v Andorra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭randd1

We as a society contribute to how poor our politicians often fare.

Namely, we never give them a chance. They're under immense pressure the second they step into a job, and are blamed for everything. Any time they open their mouths they're lambasted. And by the time they get a handle on things and start to know their job, we put pressure in their superiors to move them for things they're over but likely never started, or vote them out.

We simply don't give enough leeway or time to politicians to actually do things that need doing because we're caught as a society in a "we want it now" mentality.

That said, I also think that there's no actual need for ministers, departments should be run exclusively by qualified people from that sector that report directly to Taoiseach. This means we could cut down the numbers in the Dail and the Seanad massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

cms88 wrote: »
    It has to be one of the most bizarre things about Irish people and their obsession with UK teams.

Wasn't Liam Miller booed in Dublin after moving on a free transfer from Celtic to United? That was laughable. You'd think as Irish fans they'd be delighted for an Irish player to sign for arguably the biggest club in the world.

Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that I wish Covid was a lot more deadly for smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Anyway, my unpopular opinion is that I wish Covid was a lot more deadly for smokers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/29/am-i-a-psychopath-google-test-psychology-psychiatry-neuroscience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Wasn't Liam Miller booed in Dublin after moving on a free transfer from Celtic to United? That was laughable. You'd think as Irish fans they'd be delighted for an Irish player to sign for arguably the biggest club in the world.

And you can be sure those same fans were the ones shouting for hi benefit match to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The best of the lot is Irish Liverpool fans who also support Celtic

They'll claim Celtic is an Irish club because it was founded by Irishmen but at the same same time suffer amnesia in remembering the founders of Liverpool were steeped in the Orange Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The best of the lot is Irish Liverpool fans who also support Celtic

They'll claim Celtic is an Irish club because it was founded by Irishmen but at the same same time suffer amnesia in remembering the founders of Liverpool were steeped in the Orange Order.
    Easy enough to have amnesia about something that happened 128 years ago.

But it's their hero "Steve G" becoming Rangers manager that really irks them.

Easy enough to have amnesia about something that happened 128 years ago.

But it's their hero "Steve G" becoming Rangers manager that really irks them.

Irish fans of an English club aghast that their favourite English player, who used to play for England, and played for their beloved English club they think isn't really English, getting annoyed when he decided to manage a Scottish club who are the great rivals of another Scottish club that these lads think is really an Irish club, was simply God tier barstoolism.

I swear some of these lads would be outraged if he had straight become England manager, because Scousers aren't English or some other guff.

Omackeral wrote: »
    People make all the excuses under the sun not to follow football teams from this country while simultaneously claiming themselves to be massive football fans. Some of these people have literally never been to see their team play.

The lack of regular exposure to live football shows at Ireland home matches. Truth be told there is only a proper atmosphere (aside from lower tier, behind home goal) when the big guns visit, or if it's a winner takes all match. For all people waffle about the North not being a real team their fans out sang and out did the home crowd for O'Neill's last march. Woeful atmosphere from the home crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There should be a third and mandatory collection at mass to make donations to one in four or some other charity that helps survivors of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

There should be a third and mandatory collection at mass to make donations to one in four or some other charity that helps survivors of abuse.

Or the church donate half (or more) of what's offered and donate. The church should pay them, not the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't know how unpopular this would be TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Naw.
    The church should stump up, sell off their assets and raise the funds. Whatever.

It's on them and they should totally own all the shít they did, and not just with a barely whispered apology that costs them nothing.

Advertisement