Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

How do you get eero delivered to Ireland from amazon uk? Seems like it doesnt deliver now

JJJackal wrote: »
    How do you get eero delivered to Ireland from amazon uk? Seems like it doesnt deliver now

Buy it on the German site

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think they delivered at all to Ireland, when I got mine I had to use Parcel Motel, which is not an option anymore afailk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

So without reading through nearly 80 pages of this thread what would peoples recommendation be for a 1Gig FTTH eir setup to cover a 2 story 4000 square foot house?

Would ideally like to keep the budget to €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Buy it on the German site

Do you get EU plugs then

• Advertisement

JJJackal wrote: »
    Do you get EU plugs then

Yes but you'll get an adapter for a few cents

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

davo2001 wrote: »
    So without reading through nearly 80 pages of this thread what would peoples recommendation be for a 1Gig FTTH eir setup to cover a 2 story 4000 square foot house?

Your budget is a little tight for such a large house. Go for a Mesh system, and start with 2 nodes, one on each floor. If you need more, you can add them. A pair of TPLink Deco E4's will fit within your budget - but you would be better with 3 or 4 for a house of that size. Switch off the WiFi in your Eir router to give seamless WiFi coverage from the Mesh system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

for a house that size and a 1gb line i wouldnt be putting a 150 quid limit on it.

ideally id got for a full ubiquiti unifi system if you have cat 6 cabling throughout the house

if not id go for the nest wifi 6 at least 3 pucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Cyrus wrote: »
    for a house that size and a 1gb line i wouldnt be putting a 150 quid limit on it.

ideally id got for a full ubiquiti unifi system if you have cat 6 cabling throughout the house

if not id go for the nest wifi 6 at least 3 pucks.

If it were up to me i'd be doing the same, I've a full Ubiquiti setup myself and it's great but it's for the father in law and that's all he's willing to pay!

wifi 6 doesn't make sense though as none of his devices would be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

For those more knowledgeable than I, is this Ubiquiti mesh set up (€349) worth the premium over the TP Link Deco M5 (€169)?

https://www.komplett.ie/tp-link-deco-m5-multiroom-wifi-system-triple-pack/80048078/product/9501

https://www.komplett.ie/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-multiroom-wifi/80046635/product/9501

Or would the Orbi, with cover the space with two units, one upstairs, and one downstairs?

https://www.komplett.ie/netgear-orbi-home-wifi-system/20804754/product/9501

I have a Fritzbox router, 150mb speed, but the range just isn't big enough for my house (2,500m, hollow core flooring). I don't have cabling through out, and I don't want to surface mount cables, so mesh will have to do. I have had the Huawei Q2 Pro mesh, and the range seemed to work out ok with the satellite locations for full coverage, but the product was a pile of sh1te and is now gone. I'm looking for a reliable, seamless mesh, I'm happy with speeds of 80-90mb for what we use the web for. I just want to pretty much plug and play, but reliability is the key requirement for me.

TIA

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    For those more knowledgeable than I, is this Ubiquiti mesh set up (€349) worth the premium over the TP Link Deco M5 (€169)?

https://www.komplett.ie/tp-link-deco-m5-multiroom-wifi-system-triple-pack/80048078/product/9501

https://www.komplett.ie/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-multiroom-wifi/80046635/product/9501

Or would the Orbi, with cover the space with two units, one upstairs, and one downstairs?

https://www.komplett.ie/netgear-orbi-home-wifi-system/20804754/product/9501

I have a Fritzbox router, 150mb speed, but the range just isn't big enough for my house (2,500m, hollow core flooring). I don't have cabling through out, and I don't want to surface mount cables, so mesh will have to do. I have had the Huawei Q2 Pro mesh, and the range seemed to work out ok with the satellite locations for full coverage, but the product was a pile of sh1te and is now gone. I'm looking for a reliable, seamless mesh, I'm happy with speeds of 80-90mb for what we use the web for. I just want to pretty much plug and play, but reliability is the key requirement for me.

TIA

No, Ubiquiti mesh isn't worth the premium price, their Unifi access point system is worth it if you have cables in place

https://www.komplett.ie/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-WLAN-Access-Point/80042070/product?channable=00974769640038303034323037309e&gclid=CjwKCAiAmrOBBhA0EiwArn3mfGUsP0Qmk2I4YKroKMTQ6bYYHvC4PVC1b2WVE6E5isuJeVh4-kheWBoCIPQQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If it were up to me i'd be doing the same, I've a full Ubiquiti setup myself and it's great but it's for the father in law and that's all he's willing to pay!

got you, he wont get near 1gb speed on a normal mesh system though, does he get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Your budget is a little tight for such a large house. Go for a Mesh system, and start with 2 nodes, one on each floor. If you need more, you can add them. A pair of TPLink Deco E4's will fit within your budget - but you would be better with 3 or 4 for a house of that size. Switch off the WiFi in your Eir router to give seamless WiFi coverage from the Mesh system.

Dont get E4's, they only have 100Mb ethernet ports so will be limited and dont cost much less than the M4's. A 3 pack of Deco M4/S4 can be got for about €150 or under.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

3 Pack Tp Link M4 €119.90 free delivery "no additional tax" via amazon germany

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

I hope someone could advise me this this. My current setup is a Huawei B525s-23a with a plex server and a NVR security system attached to the ethernet ports. If I buy a Deco M5, my understanding is that I have to set the B525 to bridge mode to allow the Deco M5 to work. If I do this, will the ethernet ports still work on the Huawei B525? In other words, will the plex server & NVR still have internet access if attached to the ethernet ports with this setup?

If not I guess I will have to buy a switch and wire the Plex server and NVR and maybe master Deco M5 to this?

WEST wrote: »
    I hope someone could advise me this this. My current setup is a Huawei B525s-23a with a plex server and a NVR security system attached to the ethernet ports. If I buy a Deco M5, my understanding is that I have to set the B525 to bridge mode to allow the Deco M5 to work. If I do this, will the ethernet ports still work on the Huawei B525? In other words, will the plex server & NVR still have internet access if attached to the ethernet ports with this setup?

If not I guess I will have to buy a switch and wire the Plex server and NVR and maybe master Deco M5 to this?

You'll need a switch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You never want to connect any device to a bridged modem except another router. All ethernet ports on a bridged modem are effectively open to the internet with no protection. Your connected router [Deco in this case] is your protection so all internal devices [plex etc] should be connected to the Deco.

I heavily recommend getting a switch and connect it to the Deco, then connect your internal devices to the switch.

Again, NOTHING except the Deco, should be connected to the bridged modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

Thanks guys, great advise!

When looking for a switch, cheap is ok. Don't spend too much. However, try look a few years into the future. Do you intend putting up CCTV cameras. If so, then opt for a switch has has at least some POE ports. Some switches have POE on all ports and some have POE on some ports [usually half].

Are you going to install your DECO as full wifi mesh or are you going to run a cable to each AP? If wired, you can wire 2 of the 3 back to the switch [consuming ports] or daisy chain them [DECO Router to the bridge and DECO 2 and DECO 2 to DECO 3].

I'd personally go for a 8 port gigabit switch with at least 4 POE. Don't bother paying for a managed switch. Unmanaged is fine.

I got this wonderful 16 port [non POE] fanless switch for £60.90. It's surprisingly small.

Here is a nice 8 port, unmanaged, fanless, gigabit, with 4 POE ports €62 plus shipping.

If you absolutely don't need POE, you can go a little cheaper with this @€;26 plus shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

If you are only using the Deco M5's to improve WiFi coverage you could also set them up in Access Point mode and let your Huawei B525 remain as a router (but switching its WiFi off). You do lose some of the extra features on the Deco like parental controls and traffic QOS etc so depends on whether those are important to you.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

RangeR wrote: »
    You never want to connect any device to a bridged modem except another router. All ethernet ports on a bridged modem are effectively open to the internet with no protection. Your connected router [Deco in this case] is your protection so all internal devices [plex etc] should be connected to the Deco.

I heavily recommend getting a switch and connect it to the Deco, then connect your internal devices to the switch.

Again, NOTHING except the Deco, should be connected to the bridged modem.

I never knew this. Have Smart TV and IPTV connected to my bridged modem. What damage could I be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

I never knew this. Have Smart TV and IPTV connected to my bridged modem. What damage could I be doing?

It's not you who will be doing the damage ;)

degsie wrote: »
    It's not you who will be doing the damage ;)

So what...my home network will be compromised through the TV’s connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

So what...my home network will be compromised through the TV’s connection?

If/when you move your tv to your home lan then yeah, maybe!

degsie wrote: »
    If/when you move your tv to your home lan then yeah, maybe!

Good to know. Best keep them plugged in to the bridged modem so? Rather than risk bringing any issued on to the home network.

Your Smart TV is accessible to the internet. It is not secure. Smart TV's are developed with the assumption that a different device will provide most needed security. This device is your router/firewall. Assume that your Smart TV has no security features.

If there is a vulnerability found on your smart TV, you will be the first to find out. Actually, you might never know. Anything from being involved in a bot net [consuming your internet connection], bad actors able to see your viewing habits, steal your Netflix/Prime/other credentials to, at worst, wiping your TV software [bricked] if a kernel exploit is abused.

If I were you, I would disconnect those two devices. Deffo factory reset your TV [and hope for the best]. No idea on your IPTV but it's probably Linux based. Don't know if that can be factory reset safely. I would ONLY connect both devices to your router, maybe via a switch AFTER you have cleaned them, which may not be possible.

Take with a pinch of salt. You don't know me and I don't know your aversion to risk.

Your Smart TV is accessible to the internet. It is not secure. Smart TV's are developed with the assumption that a different device will provide most needed security. This device is your router/firewall. Assume that your Smart TV has no security features.

If there is a vulnerability found on your smart TV, you will be the first to find out. Actually, you might never know. Anything from being involved in a bot net [consuming your internet connection], bad actors able to see your viewing habits, steal your Netflix/Prime/other credentials to, at worst, wiping your TV software [bricked] if a kernel exploit is abused.

If I were you, I would disconnect those two devices. Deffo factory reset your TV [and hope for the best]. No idea on your IPTV but it's probably Linux based. Don't know if that can be factory reset safely. I would ONLY connect both devices to your router, maybe via a switch AFTER you have cleaned them, which may not be possible.

Take with a pinch of salt. You don't know me and I don't know your aversion to risk.

That’s really useful info, thanks! I never knew this about a bridged router. My IPTV box is actually connected directly to my mesh router so all good there. I’ll do a factory reset on the TV. Other than losing my Netflix and Prime password and having to re-install a few apps I can’t see any other issues.

I have an A/V receiver that would have been plugged in to the bridged router at one stage also. All it needs internet for is a periodic firmware update. Presume there isn’t anything to worry about here?

Thanks again.

I have an A/V receiver that would have been plugged in to the bridged router at one stage also. All it needs internet for is a periodic firmware update. Presume there isn’t anything to worry about here?

You are more than welcome. I really wouldn't have anything connected to the bridged modem except a router. You might think that the AV is only grabbing firmware but it's still freely accessible to the outside world. If the AV unit can install firmware, other bad actors could potentially write to it too.

I wouldn't even have a public webserver directly on the internet. I'd even put that behind a firewall and open only the ports it requires.

I wouldn't even have a public webserver directly on the internet. I'd even put that behind a firewall and open only the ports it requires.

You’ve lost me here. What do you mean by a public webserver?

• Advertisement

You’ve lost me here. What do you mean by a public webserver?

Sorry, I was just making an analogy with a piece of equipment that is designed and meant to be "out on the internet".

A public webserver would be the likes of boards.ie or facebook.com. Even they aren't "out on the internet" without security but always behind a firewall.

Trust your firewall/router... to a point. Don't trust the internet, ever.

Put your AV behind your router not behind the bridged modem.

Advertisement