Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's really not as difficult as you are suggesting here in a lot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I've got ethernet cables run pretty much all over the house - have a switch in the attic which goes back to the main router in the living room and then have 5 or 6 cables from the switch going to various rooms.

I use TP-Link Deco M5s which supposedly have wireless backhaul. I get close to my 500mb speeds even over Wifi if using the right device (Wifi 6 etc).

For any domestic setup with 30+ smart devices / bulbs etc I feel it's more than adequate - what am I missing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi all looking for some help.

I am a Digiweb customer with their Fritzbox. With all the sales at the moment want to maybe pickup a mesh setup.

There is only two bedrooms upstairs struggling with WiFi a bit. Currently requiring the house so datapoints going in most places.

Can anyone recommend a good mesh system compatible / easy to use with Fritz? It’s a three bedroom house(built in the 50s)

Also do I need to use the mesh stuff as my router or can I keep the fritz?

I have a NAS and Rpi plugged into the fritz. Want to keep them both and don’t want to lose the functionality they are giving me. NAS for accessing media on devices in TVs and Rpi running pile (that I actually don’t mind losing since it’s no real use imo)

I should maybe also note, I'm saying Mesh here and know what that is. But because I have datapoints being installed all over the place, should I maybe look at something else like access points instead?

Post edited by TheDoc on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you get a mesh set up get it with Ethernet backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am looking at the Unify stuff at the moment toying with the idea of maybe putting that into the house.

I suppose the simplest solution is to just grab two access points and set them into the house on the existing network. But there is a nice idea of setting something up in the attic with a bit of scalability.

• Advertisement

It’s pretty addictive but it’s great kit imo

that’s my SWITCH and UDM pro humming away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

@TheDoc

The UDMP SE would be a good start, that has POE for your APs and the hard drive bay for cameras if you want them later, build on from there.

I have my Unifi system in for 2 years now and its never let me down.

It certaintly is...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

😁 nice , mine below , 10 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

Folks. Please forgive my lack of sense when I ask this question. I currently have SIRO (Vodafone) - I have a Deco S7 AC1900 system (3 nodes) - I have recently set up a home office in the garden and the electrician has run shielded CAT 6. (all confirmed working when we tested the cables)

Is it possible to use one of the Deco nodes in the outdoor office if I connect an ethernet cable into it? (Ethernet is coming from one of the ports on the Vodafone router)

Or will the Deco node only operate as a if it receives a signal from one of the other nodes?

Or do I just go and buy another router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You should be running your ethernet wire from your main deco node(The one connected to the Vodafone router) directly to the Deco node in the home office. It might work the way you've suggested but it may show up as 2 separate networks and I'm not even sure the Deco mobile app can support what you're suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

you can frequently pick up fritzboxes on adverts for pretty cheap as people have them , get two or three of them to act as mesh repeaters.

Can boost the WiFi or can be connected via ethernet.

Got to be the most simple method for you

Moving to Pure Telecom this week and expecting delivery of a Fritzbox - good idea on the mesh repeaters!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have two 7430 - one from pure and another was 20e on adverts. Have a other box (I think 4400) and one of their mesh repeater for pretty good WiFi throughout the house. Two 7430s are connected via LAN, others just WiFi repeaters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭creedp

Apologies in advance for asking such noob questions but this stuff seems to just melt my head.

I have VF broadband with their router in the attic feeding cat 5 cables around house. Over time I have added a number of TP link APs and extenders around house but tbh I find the wifi speed from the APs quite poor, often getting only 30mbps.

I have a fritzbox 7530 sitting idle from a previous provider and am wondering if possible to use it as an AP instead of one of the TP Links and would this yield better wifi speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

I’ve never used a fritzbox so can’t comment on them but ……

Few things, are the AP’s 5Ghz capable and/or are you using it the band ? Realistically the older 2.4Ghz band only has 3 decent sized bands speed wise. If you live in a built up area or are running several AP’s then it will really hurt your bandwidth if you’re not using 5Ghz.

The other problem with using normal AP’s is your phone/laptop when moving around the house may not automatically connect to a new physically closer AP as it still has a connection (even though it’s weak and slow)

Managed systems like mesh or unifi monitor the connected devices (phone, laptops etc) and once it’s signal is weak the system will disconnect it thereby forcing it to connect to a closer node (AP).

I’m running an ASUS XT8 mesh system with 3 nodes (AP’s) for about 4 years now. Have at least 450mb nearly every room in the house ( concrete floors upstairs, some walls are about a foot thick downstairs).

i

Sounds more like a set up issue than anything else.

how many do you have and have you split the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands ? Are they all hardwired ?

Yea they are all 5Ghz compatible but from what I can see it doesnt make a massive difference to speed.

If looking to improve the setup I would consider going with a mesh system so long as I could utilise the existing 5 APs in the house. Hate throwing stuff away! However know nothing about mesh systems so would have to consider how well they could operate in a comcrete everywhere house where router is in attic.

One thing I have noticed with current 500mb service is that the download and upload speed is pretty close, between 20 to 50mb. In the past the download was always significantly faster than upload. Is this normal?

Where 5Ghz helps is with reducing channel congestion. More channels available mean less chance of your neighbours being on the same channels etc.

Something I forgot to mention some mesh systems (including mine) have Ethernet backhaul; meaning you can use your Cat5e cables for the mesh instead of WiFi.

I hate throwing stuff away too , I used to have 4 APs and the Vodafone router, swapped them all for 3 mesh boxes, way better than before.

Same as yourself concrete everywhere in our house including a few steel beams; not very WiFi friendly.

• Advertisement

It's obvious I need to do some research on mesh systems but if you wouldn't mind advising on how Internet backhaul operates. Does it mean that the mesh nodes simply replace existing APs at cat 5 wall units? Is rhe main unit still located in attic beside router?

I wont embarass myself any further with noob questions and will do a bit of research when I get a chance over next couple of weeks. Thanks for advice

mesh is really only where you have no Ethernet and are using WiFi to connect the access points.

if all of your access points are connected via Ethernet then it’s just a normal wireless deployment but it’s more robust than mesh.

first thing would be to get more familiar with the equipment you already have. Do you want to post here what you have and what’s currently hard wired .

OK that makes sense, the fog is lifting a little😊

Presently have the VF router in attic with cat 5e cables from most rooms terminating beside it. A couple of bedrooms have decent wifi speed directly from the VF router and I have a TP-Link mesh wifi range extender to boost signal to a 3rd bedroom. Had to inatall a TP-Link AP (RE200) in the last bedroom because the extender didnt provide a decent signal.

Downstairs is even more of a mish mash as I have 2 RE200 APs and a 1 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit for a PS5 as the Ethernet cable to that room was canabilised to provide a connection for the gate intercom and alarm and the kids were going beserk that the wifi signal from the AP in the hallway was useless for gaming. In fairness the powerline does a pretty good job as I dont hear the screams of agony anymore when the ps5 stutters and freezes😂

Even with all that I still have a wifi blackspot in the living room and am considering activating the cat5 cable running to an adjacent room and installing another RE200 AP.

And that is the full and uncut version of the messy set up currently in my house which evolved in a rather chaotic way over a number of years as kids got more and more appliances

Yes essentially they are replacing the access points but the difference is they are managed system, they force your devices to move to a better point as you move around the house, the nodes (mesh Access points) will interfere with each other less than just normal access points as there’s usually a manager point in control of the rest.

The one thing if you go with a mesh or managed system is to try and strategically place your nodes/access points. My house was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

Hi all,

Another one seeking advice...

Current set up... Eir Fibre (up to 500Mb package)

Router is connected in office (concrete walls).

TP link: https://shorturl.at/nGPV4 Wifi Extender in use. Plugged in and connected via Ethernet to the Eir router directly.

In the living room which is directly opposite (hallway between office and living room) we have the other TP link extender modem plugged in with an ethernet connection going into the back of the tv and another ethernet cable providing a wired connection the PS5.

Since the recent storms when we had an overnight power cut, the wifi speeds have dropped. We use a chromecast to stream on the TV and whereas before everything was instant, now we're getting loading wheels and tv streaming delays and I notice on my android smartphone that if I am on twitter(x) that the post images/videos don't display right away so definitely feels like something has gone amiss / changed.

I tried resetting the Eir router, switching off, resetting and same with the TP Link but it hasn't restored it to what it was.

It's really frustrating when it was working perfectly before with hardly any issues.

I had read up on mesh wi-fi systems before. the TP Link is a few years old now so maybe it would be a much better and more up to date solution?

Should I look for one with an ethernet connection like my current set up? Or should a decent mesh system eradicate the need for ethernet because it should provide a much better / more reliable wifi signal.

Appreciate any advice and suggestions on which would be the best option to go for.

(Budget would be under €200)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Planning a new build and planning 3 Unifi AP's. Initially I was thinking to just not run a gateway, then boards told me acout Unifi Express which looked good and a decent price point. So that was the plan.

Some research showed some limitation, so I planned for Unifi Dream Router.

Some more research showed I might want to upgrade to a Unifi Dream Machine Pro in a few years to allow for more CCTV and built in NVR. So I got thinking maybe I just bit the bullet and start with that.

Now I'l looking at the UDM SE and because it has POE built in, it is now looking a better option compared to UDM Pro.

So I've gone from no gateway to top of the range €520 gateway, so YES definitely addictive even when you dont yet have any gear. I still have a couple of months to finalize my plans.

I have a udm pro and a 16 port POE unifi switch i think, im looking at the Unifi patch panels and filler plates now because why not

Just looking i have 5 Aps, a door bell, doorbell chime, the poe switch, 3 flex switches, 4 cameras and the UDM pro

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I have Vodafone 500mb FTTH, i took out the Gigabox and replaced it with a TP Link Archer C7.

If was looking at improving the Wi-Fi signal throughout the house, if i bought a Google Nest Wi-Fi Pro unit can i just plug it directly into a free LAN port on the Archer and then turn off Wi-Fi on the Archer? Will this work or is there something I'm missing?

• Advertisement

Advertisement