Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

People on here have a lot of success with the tp link deco systems, cheap and cheerful. Get a 3 pack of mesh remove the Ubiquiti and sell it!

Jist checked and the VF router is doing the networking, the amp and printer are plugged into that.

Would something like this do the job?

https://www.komplett.ie/TP-Link-Deco-M5-Multiroom-Wifi-System-Triple-Pack/80048078/product?channable=0095cb696400383030343830373803&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=&from=kelkoo&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoa3Tl6K47gIVDtayCh0N0gVWEAQYCSABEgKq7_D_BwE

Just checked, the M9 looks the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Any suggestions for mesh system? I dont want to break the bank. To keep it simple I coukd probably have it on another network than the Ubiquiti....ie the base unti direct into the router and doing dhcp etc, and one or two other units to spread the signal up to the back of the house. Does that sound right?

Ubiquiti Unifi is a very high quality Mesh WiFi system! You can add additional Unifi APs to cover everywhere in your house. However, Unifi requires wiring to link the APs, whereas some other Mesh systems such as TP-Link Deco have the option of WiFi backhaul between APs.

If you are planning to wire ultimately, Unifi would be the perfect end-game solution. Perhaps you could run some temporary wires in the meantime? If not, you may need to consider an alternative Mesh system with WiFi backhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yep, look good, they've been recommended in here a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Damien360 wrote: »
    You need to port forward for the IP of the PC on your network not the external IP. I did it with mine so I reserved an IP on network for the PC in question(192.168.....) and then port forwarded to that IP both UDP and TCP.

Hi Damien360,

The way the TaoTronics Mesh Admin app works is:-

- Select the "Host" PC - I selected the PC which will host the Minecraft server.
    - Choose the protocol type (TCP&UDP, TCP or UDP) - I chose TCP&UDP
    - Common Protocol (TELNET, DNS, HTTP or FTP) - I chose none of these as all they do is populate the following port info with 53 for DNS, 80 for HTTP etc
    - Start external port - 25565
    - End external port - 25565
    - Start internal port - 25565
    - End internal port - 25565

By manually entering 25565 in the port sections the "Common Protocol" turns to "Custom".

Does it look like I'm correctly port forwarding the IP of the host PC from the above?

If so and the port remains closed is it likely there is another setting I need to amend on the Virgin Modem by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Any suggestions for mesh system? I dont want to break the bank. To keep it simple I coukd probably have it on another network than the Ubiquiti....ie the base unti direct into the router and doing dhcp etc, and one or two other units to spread the signal up to the back of the house. Does that sound right?

You can make a mesh with another unifi access point , wireless uplink they call it

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    You can make a mesh with another unifi access point , wireless uplink they call it

Isn't that just a repeater not mesh. You definitely don't want a repeater

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi Damien360,

The way the TaoTronics Mesh Admin app works is:-

- Select the "Host" PC - I selected the PC which will host the Minecraft server.
    - Choose the protocol type (TCP&UDP, TCP or UDP) - I chose TCP&UDP
    - Common Protocol (TELNET, DNS, HTTP or FTP) - I chose none of these as all they do is populate the following port info with 53 for DNS, 80 for HTTP etc
    - Start external port - 25565
    - End external port - 25565
    - Start internal port - 25565
    - End internal port - 25565

By manually entering 25565 in the port sections the "Common Protocol" turns to "Custom".

Does it look like I'm correctly port forwarding the IP of the host PC from the above?

If so and the port remains closed is it likely there is another setting I need to amend on the Virgin Modem by any chance?

Looks right. Have you the VM in modem mode? If not, you will have to add the port there also but this time use the address of your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Hi all. I’m only reading about mesh systems now. I have the standard Vodafone router that’s a couple of years old and I’m running a number of TP link Powerline adapters to a sky Q box, Xbox and a PC. This is working fine but the kids are continually giving out about buffering on wireless devices. Our Vodafone connection gives about 60mb on the wired devices but it can be up and down.

Will the TP link mesh system improve the situation, and will it integrate with the Powerline adaptors I already have? I’d prefer to keep the sky box, Xbox and PC wired if possible.

Does it replace the main router or does one of the mesh units have to be connected to it? I’m not techie minded and a bit of a noob to all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Am I correct in assuming that as I have a 150mb FTTH connection, and that speed is plenty sufficient for what we use, that it doesn’t really matter which of the TP Link series I choose?

I don’t have my house cabled, so it’ll be wireless connection only.

This is something that I can’t seem to find discussed in reviews of any product.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

ratracer wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that as I have a 150mb FTTH connection, and that speed is plenty sufficient for what we use, that it doesn’t really matter which of the TP Link series I choose?

I don’t have my house cabled, so it’ll be wireless connection only.

This is something that I can’t seem to find discussed in reviews of any product.
    TIA

It often is down to physical house construction materials and how much radio noise is coming from adjacent dwellers. Most decent mesh systems would offer a good solution either way.

• Advertisement

Isn't that just a repeater not mesh. You definitely don't want a repeater

Yes, it definitely looks like that alright.

I tried my laptop in the room with the bad signal and it seemed to work reasonably well. I think we will just struggle through. I just plugged in a router in a place I could possible get a cable to, but the signal to the router was no better there than the current live one.

We'll struggle on, and I will add a 2nd wired Ubiquiti AP when the house is done.

Yes, it definitely looks like that alright.

I tried my laptop in the room with the bad signal and it seemed to work reasonably well. I think we will just struggle through. I just plugged in a router in a place I could possible get a cable to, but the signal to the router was no better there than the current live one.

We'll struggle on, and I will add a 2nd wired Ubiquiti AP when the house is done.

Have you tried homeplugs? You could get your second Unifi and use a set to homeplugs to connect it until you get your cable ran?

Have you tried homeplugs? You could get your second Unifi and use a set to homeplugs to connect it until you get your cable ran?

The wiring in the house is old, I'm notnsure how well homeplugs might work. But maybe worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

The wiring in the house is old, I'm notnsure how well homeplugs might work. But maybe worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Buy them somewhere that will take them back if they don't work. Amazon

Damien360 wrote: »
    Looks right. Have you the VM in modem mode?

The VM router is only offering "Router Mode" and "Bridged Only", there's no "Modem Mode" offered.

5gwGb3w.jpg

Lot's of head scratching going on here!!

bridged mode should be the same thing

Thanks Cyrus, I'll give that a go later and restart the Modem and Mesh router so it gets up and running as "clean" as possible.

So every time I change the setting from Router Mode to Bridged Only and click save settings the modem resets and when it comes back up it's still in Router Mode!

Also, if the VF modem is in router mode why isn't the Trace Route showing double nating? :o

4K7nSJP.jpg

So every time I change the setting from Router Mode to Bridged Only and click save settings the modem resets and when it comes back up it's still in Router Mode! :o

this may help?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056758726

Thanks Cyrus,

That looks like a "lock the door and concentrate hard" type of post to follow but I'll give it a crack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

So every time I change the setting from Router Mode to Bridged Only and click save settings the modem resets and when it comes back up it's still in Router Mode!

Also, if the VF modem is in router mode why isn't the Trace Route showing double nating? :o

4K7nSJP.jpg

Are you using a VPN? Been a while since I was on VM but dont recall their routing looking like that. Midphase.com which is your first visible hop looks like a hosting provider.

dam099 wrote: »
    Are you using a VPN? Been a while since I was on VM but dont recall their routing looking like that. Midphase.com which is your first visible hop looks like a hosting provider.

I do have and use express VPN but don't think it was on when i ran the trace.

I just ran the Trace again with the VPN definitely off and here is the result.

dZLYa3R.jpg

Looks quite different to the original trace and I notice it is giving the TT Mesh router what looks like a Virgin Media IP address rather than the static IP address for the TT router.

I do have and use express VPN but don't think it was on when i ran the trace.

I'll redo it again this evening and check the result.

Below is an example of double NAT.

I haven't experienced any real problems but I have taken some steps to mitigate the impact i.e. turned of DHCP and WiFi on the ISP router and put my own 3rd party router into the DMZ of the ISP router.

Below is an example of double NAT.

I haven't experienced any real problems but I have taken some steps to mitigate the impact i.e. turned of DHCP and WiFi on the ISP router and put my own 3rd party router into the DMZ of the ISP router.

Triple NAT. Are you on ipv6 with carrier grade Nat also?

Triple NAT. Are you on ipv6 with carrier grade Nat also?

Yikes, I hadn't even clocked the 10.* was a private IP too.

VF SIRO, ipv6 is not enabled on their router by default.

If I go to an IP lookup site I have an 109.77.*.* address which is what my ISP router tells me is my WAN address.

My Plex server is available externally though, I understood Carrier grade Nat would possibly kill that?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Hi,
    Have Netgear Orbi 3 node mesh with VF FTTH router.
    Orbi is bridge mode

To simplify the system can I bypass the VF router altogether?
    What I need to set up the Orbi? Set it to router mode and what other settings needed to connect?

Yikes, I hadn't even clocked the 10.* was a private IP too.

VF SIRO, ipv6 is not enabled on their router by default.

If I go to an IP lookup site I have an 109.77.*.* address which is what my ISP router tells me is my WAN address.

My Plex server is available externally though, I understood Carrier grade Nat would possibly kill that?

With Plex you authenticate with the Plex website, they keep a connection open to there so it will usually just work, it doesn't just use plug and play (upnp)

Blowheads wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have Netgear Orbi 3 node mesh with VF FTTH router.
    Orbi is bridge mode

To simplify the system can I bypass the VF router altogether?
    What I need to set up the Orbi? Set it to router mode and what other settings needed to connect?

You need to set vlan10 on the wan interface.

With Plex you authenticate with the Plex website, they keep a connection open to there so it will usually just work, it doesn't just use plug and play (upnp)

Ah right.

I can also reach my Home Automation server on a RPI if I forward the port on my main router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I see a fast roaming option in the Deco M4 settings. Should I enable this?

Advertisement