Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Dumb question, have had google WiFi for a couple of years. The original VM signal still comes up as an avaliable network (in addition to the Google WiFi network and that's what we have each device use).

Is that right or should thd original VM one be dead, sometimes devices can flick to the VM signal and we have to manually switch it back to the Google WiFi signal.

You haven't disabled it, you need to. Some routers have a WiFi button not sure about the VM one

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Because it can cause interference, there are limited channels available. You are just creating noise!
    If you need a second SSID create a virtual ap on the mesh

Appreciate that is all true, but it allows me to verify the ISP is still up. Main unit Led remains Red while the Ethernet cable inbound to unit is fine using a laptop connected directly to said cable. power cycle no affect.

Thanks W.

Appreciate that is all true, but it allows me to verify the ISP is still up. Main unit Led remains Red while the Ethernet cable inbound to unit is fine using a laptop connected directly to said cable. power cycle no affect.

Thanks W.

Good luck with the troubleshooting of an intermittent wireless issue that could be interference! Have you ever tried disabling it to see do you still have issues? Wireless left on auto channel selection will hop about looking for a better channel giving you issues exactly like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Its the units themselves which are having the issue, for example hard-wired devices at the end of the daisy-chain had no internet connectivity.

Its the units themselves which are having the issue, for example hard-wired devices at the end of the daisy-chain had no internet connectivity.

Oh. Sounds more like faulty devices if they are dropping out hardwired. I'd be returning them for a refund!

How many daisy chains we talking about here? Describe your setup. Daisy chaining switches can bring about it's own set of problems, you should always be aiming for hub and spoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Dumb question, have had google WiFi for a couple of years. The original VM signal still comes up as an avaliable network (in addition to the Google WiFi network and that's what we have each device use).

Is that right or should thd original VM one be dead, sometimes devices can flick to the VM signal and we have to manually switch it back to the Google WiFi signal.

You are double natting. Unless you know what you are doing, the VM router should be in bridge mode and wifi off.

RangeR wrote: »
    You are double natting. Unless you know what you are doing, the VM router should be in bridge mode and wifi off.

Exactly. Or the mesh set in AP mode.

You will not troubleshoot issues when you have double NAT and other WiFi radios enabled. Remove these issues and your troubles will most likely vanish!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Another option for those with Nest Wifi and SIRO is just to use the PPoE setting in the router, hook it up to the SIRO cable and it should work, will remove the ISP supplied router completely. I've never managed to get it to work but I haven't tried either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Clareman wrote: »
    Another option for those with Nest Wifi and SIRO is just to use the PPoE setting in the router, hook it up to the SIRO cable and it should work, will remove the ISP supplied router completely. I've never managed to get it to work but I haven't tried either.

ive been doing that with FTTH for 2 years now across 3 providers, works fine,

using a ubiquiti router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Clareman wrote: »

You would still need to do the VLAN tagging too which I didn't think Nest WiFi supported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Thanks, thats the problem, I don't really.

How do you put the VM router into bridge mode and turn the WiFi off? Just googled it and wasnt the clearest.

I should say our BB is pretty good apart from the occasional switching of devices between the Vm network and the Google one although sounds like what I'm doing isn't the best anyway.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Thanks, thats the problem, I don't really.

How do you put the VM router into bridge mode and turn the WiFi off? Just googled it and wasnt the clearest.

I should say our BB is pretty good apart from the occasional switching of devices between the Vm network and the Google one although sounds like what I'm doing isn't the best anyway.

Not sure on the bridging part. I have mine bridged already so can't access the web ui unless I reset it. Don't really want to do that. However, it was a simple enough process. I went through the menus and it was there staring me in the face. Router mode or bridged mode [maybe labelled modem mode]. Don't be afraid of going through the menus.. You cannot break anything this way, once you don't change stuff willy nilly.

Turning off WIFI is just as easy. It's in one of the menus. There is a page that lists your 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's. On that page there is the option to turn off or disable them both.

The WIFI thing might happen automatically when you enter bridge mode, not sure.

You want to turn off your VM wifi for a few reasons.
    1. You want all of your wifi traffic going through your Google WIFI so it can manage connections effectively [port forwarding, static IP's, speed tests etc] and provide it's inbuilt security.
    2. If you connect to the VM wifi while in bridge mode [assuming wifi even works while bridged], you are on the internet without any form of protection. There will be no firewall or NAT protecting you.
    3. You want the least amount of WIFI transmitters as possible to reduce interference. Turning off the VM wifi will effectively give a boost to your Google WIFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fireball81 wrote: »

When you log into your modem you may see a Bridge Mode option. If you don't, you're still on IPv6 so ask Virgin to switch you to IPv4. Once they do you'll be able to see it then and just select it to put it into bridge mode which will also turn off the WiFi.
    I have mine bridged already so can't access the web ui unless I reset it.

It's at http://192.168.100.1/ in bridge mode so no need to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bonsai_73

Hi, hoping someone here can answer a question if possible please. I recently set up the Deco M4 (3 units) in the house, and looking for advice on how to set the existing router to bridge mode. This is all completely new to me, so if anyone could tell me the steps I need to follow to sort this, I'd be very grateful. It's a Fritz Box 7530, and at the moment I have the Fritz Box and the Deco network both showing up as available to connect to. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

bonsai_73 wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone here can answer a question if possible please. I recently set up the Deco M4 (3 units) in the house, and looking for advice on how to set the existing router to bridge mode. This is all completely new to me, so if anyone could tell me the steps I need to follow to sort this, I'd be very grateful. It's a Fritz Box 7530, and at the moment I have the Fritz Box and the Deco network both showing up as available to connect to. Thanks.

As far as I'm aware you don't need to put the FritzBox in bridge mode, just disable the wifi network on it and let the Deco take over

tobdom wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware you don't need to put the FritzBox in bridge mode, just disable the wifi network on it and let the Deco take over

Then you will get double NAT. Not a thing you want if asking the original question. Actually, you probably wouldn't notice unless you are into online gaming or running services/services in your home. For general browsing, double NAT shouldn't effect you too much.

I'm seeing a lot of contradictory bits of info as to if the Fritzbox can be bridged at all. Maybe that's just carrier FUD. Look back a few pages. Some people have Fritz Boxes and may have already answered the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

With a lot of help from you guys I recently purchased a three node Tri-Band AC3000 mesh system which is working very well.

I want to forward port 25565 so I can host a MineCraft server but despite setting up a virtual server the port remains closed.

Apologies if this isn't a mesh specific question but on the old Asus router port forwarding was a 5 second login, set and forget job. Apologies if I'm being dumber than usual :o

QOYRWV5.jpg

t7O6mF4.jpg

54and56 wrote: »
    Hi all,

With a lot of help from you guys I recently purchased a three node Tri-Band AC3000 mesh system which is working very well.

I want to forward port 25565 so I can host a MineCraft server but despite setting up a virtual server the port remains closed.

Apologies if this isn't a mesh specific question but on the old Asus router port forwarding was a 5 second login, set and forget job. Apologies if I'm being dumber than usual :o

[img]hxxps://i.imgur.com/QOYRWV5.jpg[/img]

[img]hxxps://i.imgur.com/NngwHsP.jpg[/img]

Are you double NATting or have you an IPV4 or IPV6 IP address? Need more info on your setup, provider etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi all,

Removed images

Edit that and remove your IP addresses. You need to port forward for the IP of the PC on your network not the external IP. I did it with mine so I reserved an IP on network for the PC in question(192.168.....) and then port forwarded to that IP both UDP and TCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Hi - hoping someone can help. I have VF broadband, wired from the router to Ubiquiti Networks UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m.

Issue I am trying to solve is weak signal at the back of house. The Ubiquiti is on the front wall, near the ceiling. Old house, solid walls.

I know mesh is not the right answer, but we're about 12 months from a re-wire, so am looking for some kind of stop-gap solution to get better signal into the back bedroom for schooling from home.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi - hoping someone can help. I have VF broadband, wired from the router to Ubiquiti Networks UBI-UAP-AC-PRO 24/5Ghz 450/1300Mbps 122m.

Issue I am trying to solve is weak signal at the back of house. The Ubiquiti is on the front wall, near the ceiling. Old house, solid walls.

I know mesh is not the right answer, but we're about 12 months from a re-wire, so am looking for some kind of stop-gap solution to get better signal into the back bedroom for schooling from home.

Any thoughts?

Why is mesh not the answer?

If you've decided against mesh and you are rewiring in 12 months... why don't you just run a data cable to the back of the house?

Personally, I'd look into mesh.

Get mesh with LAN port and cable it in 12 months.

Are you double NATting or have you an IPV4 or IPV6 IP address? Need more info on your setup, provider etc

No, I don't think I'm double NATing as I ran a Trace Route I got the following which I understand means I'm not double NATing?

4K7nSJP.jpg

I'm on a home office business package with Virgin so I have 5 static IP addresses.

The TT Mesh router is set up using one of the static IP addresses and the gateway address (which is the same as the IP address I use to access the Virgin Modem) is using another of the static IP addresses which I guess explains why the default modem mode 192.168.100.1 IP address and default router mode 192.168.0.1 IP address for Virgin don't work?

When I enter the static IP address used as the gateway address on the TT router I can access the Virgin Cisco Modem and these are screenshots of the settings:-

VM-2.jpg

VM-3.jpg

VM-4.jpg

VM-5.jpg

VM-6.jpg

Apologies for the long post but as I don't know that much about the subject matter I thought I should provide as much info as possible :o

Damien360 wrote: »
    Edit that and remove your IP addresses. You need to port forward for the IP of the PC on your network not the external IP. I did it with mine so I reserved an IP on network for the PC in question(192.168.....) and then port forwarded to that IP both UDP and TCP.

Hi Damien360, my bad!! I edited my original post, would you mind editing your quotation of my original also?

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi Damien360, my bad!! I edited my original post, would you mind editing your quotation of my original also?

Apologies.

Done

Get mesh with LAN port and cable it in 12 months.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I got advice here before that said mesh is not the solution, but I suppose I'm looking for a short/immediate solution, so different situation.

Can u explain what you mean by the above? I think you mean run a lan cable from the Ubiquiti to another more "visible" position to the dark spot in the house. Is that right? And plug that into another router. Is that right?

What mode would I put the additional router in if I was to do this? Is it bridge mode or something? I have a few half decent routers somewhere so hoping this is the solution.
    Thanks!

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I got advice here before that said mesh is not the solution, but I suppose I'm looking for a short/immediate solution, so different situation.

Can u explain what you mean by the above? I think you mean run a lan cable from the Ubiquiti to another more "visible" position to the dark spot in the house. Is that right? And plug that into another router. Is that right?

What mode would I put the additional router in if I was to do this? Is it bridge mode or something? U have a few half decent routers somewhere so hoping this is the solution.
    Thanks!

Since you have a Ubiquiti already, get a second and cable to it but you are reluctant to run a cable.
    Or
    Go with a mesh system instead until you get your cable, then sell it later

At the moment you are half invested in a Ubiquiti AP setup, which is grand but you need more for coverage

Since you have a Ubiquiti already, get a second and cable to it but you are reluctant to run a cable.
    Or
    Go with a mesh system instead until you get your cable, then sell it later

At the moment you are half invested in a Ubiquiti AP setup, which is grand but you need more for coverage

Any suggestions for mesh system? I dont want to break the bank. To keep it simple I coukd probably have it on another network than the Ubiquiti....ie the base unti direct into the router and doing dhcp etc, and one or two other units to spread the signal up to the back of the house. Does that sound right?

Any suggestions for mesh system? I dont want to break the bank. To keep it simple I coukd probably have it on another network than the Ubiquiti....ie the base unti direct into the router and doing dhcp etc, and one or two other units to spread the signal up to the back of the house. Does that sound right?

People on here have a lot of success with the tp link deco systems, cheap and cheerful. Get a 3 pack of mesh remove the Ubiquiti and sell it!

• Advertisement

People on here have a lot of success with the tp link deco systems, cheap and cheerful. Get a 3 pack of mesh remove the Ubiquiti and sell it!

Thanks, sounds good.

Advertisement