Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 3 of the hit HBO series, which recently garnered a whopping 18 Emmy nominations, was originally scheduled to start shooting in April, but for obvious COVID-19 related reasons, production has been delayed indefinitely. The plan, at least for now, is “trying to think about starting shooting in New York before Christmas,” according to showrunner and creator Jesse Armstrong.

Armstrong stressed that those plans are far from concrete and are still “just conversations,” describing the current situation as “tough.”

“Who knows if that’ll come about, but that’s the plan at the moment,” Armstrong told Variety.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/succession-season-3-production-shooting-new-york-before-christmas-1234728963/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Two of the best seasons of a show I've seen,the cast are fantastic,it's hard to pick a favourite but if I had to it would be culkin,Cox is a close second,but really,that are all great. Even the smallest scenes are done right,they are multi billionaires,and you get to see it often,not just hear about it.

Some hateful fckers but they more than add to it,really superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and I'm hooked already. What a brilliant opening to a series. Been looking for something to get into for a while and looks like I've found it.

They are all just so so horrible that I actually like them they are that horrible. If that makes sense.

Great casting in Brian Cox for this. Incidentally I love his voice/accent but the funny thing he doesn't come across in the slightest bit Scottish although I don't know much of his background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

AllForIt wrote: »
    I watched to first 2 episodes last night and I'm hooked already. What a brilliant opening to a series. Been looking for something to get into for a while and looks like I've found it.

They are all just so so horrible that I actually like them they are that horrible. If that makes sense.

Great casting in Brian Cox for this. Incidentally I love his voice/accent but the funny thing he doesn't come across in the slightest bit Scottish although I don't know much of his background.

Kieran Culkin and Nicholas Braun really make it for me, in series 2 their characters really get established.

Kieran Culkin and Nicholas Braun really make it for me, in series 2 their characters really get established.

Only 5 episodes in and Matthew Macfadye as Tom Wambsgans is my fave so far.
    Some of the stuff he comes out with, especially his fake jokes, has me in stitches and shock at the same time. Macfadye plays the part brilliantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 little bird

Started Succession yesterday. Hooked also. Even bought the gorgeous soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭jos28

Binged on this since last weekend and enjoyed every minute. Great actors playing hideous characters. Loved Kieran Culkin and Matthew Macfadye. Brian Cox's character was an absolute Bo***x. Poor Kendall, my heart went out to him at times. I thought it was significant when Naomi told him that Logan only likes the broken you. I was cheering at the end of Season 2 but that's been tainted by the theory that Logan manipulated him all along. I didn't cop that at all.
    Superb viewing either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Binged on this during week, highly enjoyable but felt it fizzled out a bit towards the end before the predictable enough twist. Hard to see where they can go with it from here without completely exhausting threads that have already been visited. Good cast and a worthy 9 out 10 overall.

I am not binging on this for some reason. I find 1 episode does me for a few days :) Maybe it's just too good to binge on.

I've only just finished S1. I loved the episode (6) where Kendall plotted to have Logan thrown off the board though a vote of no confidence but got stuck in traffic and couldn't vote lol That was intense. What a boardroom by the way with that view of the Empire State in the background. Must be shot in the new world trade centre whatever it's called.

So yeah S1 never a dull moment. I thought maybe what happened in S1 finale was a bit far fetched as you'd think Kendall might have had a few bruises at least but apart from that faultless and highly entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Just finished both seasons. What a finale and I'm gutted we're going to have to wait so long for S3.

Love Tom and Greg, what a pair. However I don't think I've ever hated so many characters on one show, the whole family are horrible!

Can definitely tell the lines Will Ferrall had input on, some golden moments "you look like a dildo dripped in beard trimmings"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Will Ferrell didn't write for the show just owns the company that produces it afaik.

crushproof wrote: »
    Just finished both seasons. What a finale and I'm gutted we're going to have to wait so long for S3.

Love Tom and Greg, what a pair. However I don't think I've ever hated so many characters on one show, the whole family are horrible!

Can definitely tell the lines Will Ferrall had input on, some golden moments "you look like a dildo dripped in beard trimmings"

I though there was a season 3 already released and gutted to learn there wasn't when I finished S2. Late 2021 for the next one apparently if covid doesn't change that but it's looking good now.

Yes they are all really horrible but it wouldn't be the same if they weren't.

I thought Holly Hunter was a great addition to S2. I loved the episode where she double crossed shiv. I was disappointed she seems to have departed and hope she returns in S3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

crushproof wrote: »

He's not involved in writing the show, unless he's doing it on the QT

These kind of great, stabbing lines are common from Jesse Armstrong and his strong script team. It's their hallmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 3 has added Sanaa Lathan, Linda Emond and South Korean singer and actress Jihae - TV Line

One of the best shows ever.
    Cant wait for it.

One of the best shows ever.
    Cant wait for it.

I've watched it twice from start to finish since March and I'm contemplating another. It's amazing

If the rest of the seasons are as strong it'll go down as an all time TV great

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I've watched it twice from start to finish since March and I'm contemplating another. It's amazing

If the rest of the seasons are as strong it'll go down as an all time TV great

The characters are so well written and acted i think.
    You end up despising someone you might have originally 'rooted for', and vice versa. They're all pretty despicable people.

I can't think of one weak point of it. I haven't gone "yea right", at some implausible event that would signal the start of ne checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

How are they so slow like ffs..

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    How are they so slow like ffs..

Well, there's been this little thing of a once in a century pandemic ...

I can't think of one weak point of it

I find Jeremy Strong's acting a bit meh at times. Sometimes the delivery just doesn't land and sometimes he's great

That and Sarah Snook does my head in

But it's the only quibbles I can think of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Well, there's been this little thing of a once in a century pandemic ...

Yeah but come on, plenty of other shows have had the ball rolling the whole time. When was the last episode of season 2 aired? October 2019?

I find Jeremy Strong's acting a bit meh at times. Sometimes the delivery just doesn't land and sometimes he's great

That and Sarah Snook does my head in

But it's the only quibbles I can think of

Jeremy seems to be the one getting all the acting awards in this show. He's not bad but for me Matthew Macfadyen is the stand out actor in the show. Brian Cox second.

I don't know about Sarah Snook, whether her character or her acting I think is a bit off. She's just a bit 'jolty' in her delivery. Like she never seems to need to think, the words just come gushing out at speed.

I was wondering about Nicholas Brawn, and how much of how he comes across is acting. Turns out as I suspected watching some interviews with him he is just like his character in real life. The way he talks in that stuttery fashion. He is too much like his own character to say he's a great actor thus.

AllForIt wrote: »
    for me Matthew Macfadyen is the stand out actor in the show. Brian Cox second.

He's brilliant
    A pitiful prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Matthew Macfadyen is fantastic in the show for sure. Tom is such an interesting character - he has to show a different side to himself with everyone. He's an ego maniac, or a bully, or an arse licker depending on who he's dealing with. And in the end you have more sympathy for him than most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

5 episodes into this since last night.

Top tv. Some great comedy moments in it. Bunch of absolute nut jobs

De Bhál wrote: »
    5 episodes into this since last night.

Top tv. Some great comedy moments in it. Bunch of absolute nut jobs

Episode 6 tonight. The vote of no-confidence against Logan. Kendell stuck in traffic and has to ring in. Roman squirming at the end of the table. Finishes episode then with some old miner's Union song.

I think, without thinking too hard about it, that it might be the best bit of television I've seen in years.
    Loved it. Had to turn it off. Another episode would've ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Really enjoyable show, every character despicable but something in each of them that gives you a sense of awww bless

Logan - love more back story
    Kendall - just wants daddy's love (compelling character who is really well portrayed)
    Shiv - a walking bitch nothing likeable
    Roman - I just don't wanna be here, but I live daddies money... And I love playing with people's lives (he'll funk Geri over in S3
    Other son - a pitiful rebel who has no original idea
    The nephew - a fool, but a likeable
    Tom - needs a good thumping and to man the hell up
    Geri - a career woman, part time voyeur... Loves control but easily manipulated

Look forward to season 3, has Kendall finally cracked it....

De Bhál wrote: »
    Episode 6 tonight

Where it goes from a good show to next level

Finished season 01 last night.

Fantastic tv

• Advertisement

Two seasons done.
    "Just, fcuk off"

Top notch tv.

Great storyline, actors, theme music along with helicoptors, super yacht, houses, lifestyle.

Loved it, one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In a word wow, deserves to be spoken about in the same breath as The Sopranos, Chernobyl, Mad Men and The Wire as some of the best TV productions.
    The main criticism I’ve read seems to be that the characters were unlikeable. The best characters are always unlikeable but somewhat relatable. Despite the outward bravado of the Roy family members, individually they are consumed by worries or paranoia of some sort. The development of these personal conflicts by the writers is the making of this show. Everyone is manoeuvring at one stage or another.

The writing, casting, production design and directing were all top notch. Cox and Culkin got a lot of the great lines but Jeremy Strong as Kendall was the star of the show for me. His was the most interesting journey. As much as I loved Greg and Tom’s contributions it was pretty clear they were always just pawns.
    Finally the theme tune by Nicholas Britell is a masterful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aidric wrote: »
    Finally the theme tune by Nicholas Britell is a masterful.

I've a routine set on my Echo when I turn on the lights in the home office first time each morning, it plays that theme for me.

Sets me up for the day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Joe O'Shea on with Matt Cooper doing the tv spot yesterday suggested that a new show Devils is a good shout to fill the Succession void until Season 3. I think it starts tonight at 9pm, Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

I've a routine set on my Echo when I turn on the lights in the home office first time each morning, it plays that theme for me.

Sets me up for the day :D

love that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Joe O'Shea on with Matt Cooper doing the tv spot yesterday suggested that a new show Devils is a good shout to fill the Succession void until Season 3. I think it starts tonight at 9pm, Sky Atlantic.

I checked out this show - it's not really similar to Succession at all - 100% drama focused on European banking during the recession. The opening episode has a scene in a club that is kind of Succession-esque but that's the only similarity I would see. Not a show I'd recommend.

• Advertisement

- Must

- Resist

- Third viewing

- In less than a year

Every time this thread comes up again I'm very tempted though

An absolute 10 out of 10 show. Best TV since Breaking Bad

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

steve_r wrote: »
    I checked out this show - it's not really similar to Succession at all - 100% drama focused on European banking during the recession. The opening episode has a scene in a club that is kind of Succession-esque but that's the only similarity I would see. Not a show I'd recommend.

Yeah I watched it too, didn't enjoy it. Was kinda lost throughout it too:confused:
    No interest in watching anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Glad we are getting some season 3 news but I really don’t like this guy as an actor. Would much rather his father or his brother instead

Glad we are getting some season 3 news but I really don’t like this guy as an actor. Would much rather his father or his brother instead

He probably gets stick for being a pretty boy but when given a decent role he can act, I have been a fan since True Blood, I suggest check out Generation Kill, Big Little Lies, The Little Drummer Girl and On Becoming a God in Central Florida

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I hope he's better than the last time he was on a tv show .Was terrible in Peaky Blinders and they have plenty of ropey acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Where can this be streamed legally / officially?

Where can this be streamed legally / officially?

Now TV

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/online/succession/iYEQZ2rcf32XPyAp1iAJ9G

You could use the free 7 day trial and binge hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

yabadabado wrote: »
    I hope he's better than the last time he was on a tv show .Was terrible in Peaky Blinders and they have plenty of ropey acting.

Yeah, really bad. But maybe that's how they wanted him to play the character.
    That season was when I gave up on Peaky Blinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Now TV

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/online/succession/iYEQZ2rcf32XPyAp1iAJ9G

You could use the free 7 day trial and binge hard

Thank you, I got the free trial. I'm really enjoying the show so far, it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watched season 1 of this week.

Jeremy strong is brilliant in it as is Brian Cox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, really bad. But maybe that's how they wanted him to play the character.
    That season was when I gave up on Peaky Blinders.

The director must have said to him, "right Adrien, I want you to do the most hammed up Mafia character you can imagine, and then ham it up some more".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

NIMAN wrote: »
    The director must have said to him, "right Adrien, I want you to do the most hammed up Mafia character you can imagine, and then ham it up some more".

It was borderline funny how it was though I embraced it, was no more ridiculous than Tom Hardys character also being cartoon like with a different variation of the accent he was going for every season he appeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Really not liking the announcement of Skarsgard and Brody. Though considering how bloody good the show has been so far they will most likely surprise me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement