Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In a word wow, deserves to be spoken about in the same breath as The Sopranos, Chernobyl, Mad Men and The Wire as some of the best TV productions.
    The main criticism I’ve read seems to be that the characters were unlikeable. The best characters are always unlikeable but somewhat relatable. Despite the outward bravado of the Roy family members, individually they are consumed by worries or paranoia of some sort. The development of these personal conflicts by the writers is the making of this show. Everyone is manoeuvring at one stage or another.

The writing, casting, production design and directing were all top notch. Cox and Culkin got a lot of the great lines but Jeremy Strong as Kendall was the star of the show for me. His was the most interesting journey. As much as I loved Greg and Tom’s contributions it was pretty clear they were always just pawns.
    Finally the theme tune by Nicholas Britell is a masterful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Aidric wrote: »
    Finally the theme tune by Nicholas Britell is a masterful.

I've a routine set on my Echo when I turn on the lights in the home office first time each morning, it plays that theme for me.

Sets me up for the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Joe O'Shea on with Matt Cooper doing the tv spot yesterday suggested that a new show Devils is a good shout to fill the Succession void until Season 3. I think it starts tonight at 9pm, Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

I've a routine set on my Echo when I turn on the lights in the home office first time each morning, it plays that theme for me.

Sets me up for the day :D

love that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭steve_r

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Joe O'Shea on with Matt Cooper doing the tv spot yesterday suggested that a new show Devils is a good shout to fill the Succession void until Season 3. I think it starts tonight at 9pm, Sky Atlantic.

I checked out this show - it's not really similar to Succession at all - 100% drama focused on European banking during the recession. The opening episode has a scene in a club that is kind of Succession-esque but that's the only similarity I would see. Not a show I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

- Must

- Resist

- Third viewing

- In less than a year

Every time this thread comes up again I'm very tempted though

An absolute 10 out of 10 show. Best TV since Breaking Bad

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

steve_r wrote: »
    I checked out this show - it's not really similar to Succession at all - 100% drama focused on European banking during the recession. The opening episode has a scene in a club that is kind of Succession-esque but that's the only similarity I would see. Not a show I'd recommend.

Yeah I watched it too, didn't enjoy it. Was kinda lost throughout it too:confused:
    No interest in watching anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Glad we are getting some season 3 news but I really don’t like this guy as an actor. Would much rather his father or his brother instead

Glad we are getting some season 3 news but I really don’t like this guy as an actor. Would much rather his father or his brother instead

He probably gets stick for being a pretty boy but when given a decent role he can act, I have been a fan since True Blood, I suggest check out Generation Kill, Big Little Lies, The Little Drummer Girl and On Becoming a God in Central Florida

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I hope he's better than the last time he was on a tv show .Was terrible in Peaky Blinders and they have plenty of ropey acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Where can this be streamed legally / officially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Where can this be streamed legally / officially?

Now TV

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/online/succession/iYEQZ2rcf32XPyAp1iAJ9G

You could use the free 7 day trial and binge hard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

yabadabado wrote: »
    I hope he's better than the last time he was on a tv show .Was terrible in Peaky Blinders and they have plenty of ropey acting.

Yeah, really bad. But maybe that's how they wanted him to play the character.
    That season was when I gave up on Peaky Blinders.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Now TV

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/online/succession/iYEQZ2rcf32XPyAp1iAJ9G

You could use the free 7 day trial and binge hard

Thank you, I got the free trial. I'm really enjoying the show so far, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Watched season 1 of this week.

Jeremy strong is brilliant in it as is Brian Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 32,935 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, really bad. But maybe that's how they wanted him to play the character.
    That season was when I gave up on Peaky Blinders.

The director must have said to him, "right Adrien, I want you to do the most hammed up Mafia character you can imagine, and then ham it up some more".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

NIMAN wrote: »
    The director must have said to him, "right Adrien, I want you to do the most hammed up Mafia character you can imagine, and then ham it up some more".

It was borderline funny how it was though I embraced it, was no more ridiculous than Tom Hardys character also being cartoon like with a different variation of the accent he was going for every season he appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Really not liking the announcement of Skarsgard and Brody. Though considering how bloody good the show has been so far they will most likely surprise me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No confirmed date yet, but it's the Autumn for season 3, according to a HBO exec.

https://www.avclub.com/our-favorite-horrible-family-returns-this-fall-for-succ-1847194423

I've just finished season 2 and WOW, What a show.

I like a certain type of show (power, money themed). I've loved Suits, House of Cards, Billions, Designated Survivor, Silicon Valley. I've spent a while looking for another show to fill the void and this was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Behold, we've a teaser for season 3.

Business as usual. :D

Trailer looks great.

At least I'll have both Succession and Billions to look forward to this Autumn / Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Bring. It. On

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes brilliant. Can't wait for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,935 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I never really got into this 1st time round, and watched snippets of it when the OH was binging on it.

We have now started to rewatch it all, and I am on Episode 4 of S1.

Although most of it is very good and I can see why its so well reviewed, I do find some of the characters grating, and for me it stops it being up there with the really great TV shows.

Roman is just too OTT, like he is put into the show for shock value.

As for Greg and Tom, again weak points. Its like they are put in there for cheap comedy value. If this was real world, there is no way those 2 guys would ever get within a million miles of their positions. The show does 'serious' and 'big business' so well, but I find any time these guys are on-screen, they dumb down the show.

But perhaps its just me? I'll watch it out now to the end of S2 and see what I think at the very end.

Advertisement