Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

It really is beautifully made. The music, the little scenes as the shareholder meeting is set up - it's such a pleasure to watch.

Roman likeable? He's total poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can't shake the nagging feeling that the show is running out of ideas. Felt the whole drama of Logan going temporarily mad to be very contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I wouldn't go so far as to say running out of ideas, but yeah the coincidental timing of Logan going "p*ss-mad" at such a crucial time felt incredibly forced. Though Roman calling him p*ss-mad got a chuckle every time. But I guess it was to draw a parallel to what ACN were doing to the President where the mere suggestion of mental health issues forced him to not seek re-election, whereas Logan can go p*ss-mad but he'll still fight tooth and nail to hang on to everything he has.

Also the Sandy/Sandi naming thing is just needlessly confusing. Sure, it happens in real life, but here it's just going to be annoying.

Every line of dialogue from Greg was killer though. I'm also enjoying where they're going with Kendall and how everyone sees through his charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I can't understand how it took them so long to even get a doctor to check him out. Surely he's got a doctor on standby at all times. Especially considering last weeks episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

That episode got a bit farcical. Still enjoyable stuff that I would not miss. Kendall pulling out all the army lines...I used to have some sympathy for him but this season he's insufferable.

Very excited for Connor's presidential campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Wasn't mad about that episode. Logan being sick and the wrangling over boards seats felt very similar to Season 1.

It seemed like a way to sideline him ahead of the shareholders meeting. The problem I have with the negotiations is that we don't really know the impact of what they are giving up - what does the extra board seats actually mean - does that actually give Sandi/Sandy a meaningful say in how the company is run? If the Roys can just add more seats then it seems a little redundant. It doesn't seem credible that Sandi/Sandy care about things like private jets etc in the context of their own investment - last week Brody's character wanted things like share buybacks which would seem like something more lucrative to be fighting for.

I do like the opportunity to see what Shiv/Roman/Ken do when Logan isn't there to decide. I think every so often they show us flashes of Logan in the kids - for example, I think Roman pushing back about the private jets was down to the same instinct that Logan would have had, that the demands would not stop there. Likewise, Shiv was canny enough to make a deal, in the end, to stave off disaster, which I think Logan would have done also.

Greg is in the tough spot this week - I think they need to show us what evidence he actually has at some point, they've been quite vague on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Really enjoyed this episode though it drifted very close to farce territory, almost like an episode of Veep at times

Carl's line in relation to Logan getting on stage in some shape or form " it would be great to get a body up there " was pure Veep .

Shiv made a deal, and gave up an extra board seat, to try and get one for herself.

If there's anything we have seen so far, it's that none of them can run a company in any way close to how Logan would.

Haven't we already heard what the evidence is that Greg has, back when Tom sent him to destroy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

I've a feeling that when Greg reveals his evidence it's gonna be nothing, that he kept the wrong documents.

That'd just be too slapstick, wouldn't it? But also just the thing that Greg would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

The whole show is a bit farcical.....that's what makes it so entertaining. Seriously, everyone surrounding Logan Roy are gobsh1tes!

My favourite line was when Baker referred to Roman as "Tony Tourettes" before he's about to talk with the President. Classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Loved a few lines.

Carl: "One of the late stage symptoms of syphilis is dementia"

Roman: "doing some late night panic googling Carl?"

"Demented, piss-king of England"

"At his age, Reagan got one and nearly nuked Belgium".

Did think the two scheming daughters was a bit formulaic all right, was half-expecting Sandi to also have an aloof oldest son, wise-cracking youngest lad and estranged middle son too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I never laughed so much at an episode.

I need to piss.

there's a dead car under my seat.

Piss king made me giggle too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Roman walking into Jerry's office and saying After Me to the person holding the door (rather than after you)

Its the little things in this show that make it so good.

Yeah, so many small things you might not notice. Saw someone point this out on Twitter and thought it was genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Suprised this thread isn't seeing more posts - maybe its a more niche show than I realised

Anyway, on this week

• Loved Matthew McFadden's performances, really felt for him in the diner scenes with Greg and Ken
    • Some great lines this week - "Is Greg necessary?" "And that's how I ended up suing Greenpeace", pretending to like Hamilton
    • It's a bit strange to move from the shareholders meeting with an ill Logan to a completely new setup, and then barely refer to what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

This was Tom's episode. Arguably it's Tom's series so far. Matthew MacFadyen is doing amazing work, you really feel sorry for him. His wife doesn't love him, arguably doesn't even care about him, and he's looking at going to prison for things he did to help her family. And nobody is there for him, not even Greg. You have to remind yourself about the horrible nature of the things he did cover up.

strange episode

Logan messing with Conor's head and leading him to believe he was considering him, then Greg getting kicked out and speaking for the american public saying he couldn't vote for him.

Bathroom scene between the racist candidate and Roman was strange. Roman seems to be attracted to men, maybe this was already known, maybe I missed it or had forgotten. Then the candidate comes out with some pretty racist lines about what his plans are. Roman loves it and goes out to tell Logan he's the man to back.

Logan's going against everything Shiv suggests and does, is strange at this stage and I don't really understand why. Is he just a plain old chauvinist and doesn't want a woman at the top.

Poor Tom the Christmas tree. Showed his loyalty to Logan in that scene with Kendall.

Right now I don't think it's a patch on the first two seasons. Still, long way to go I guess. Thankfully

Great show. Getting a little samey and the petty arguments between the kids has been done and in reality wouldn't be tolerated in the professional space.

What ages would you give the characters?

I think Kendall is 40

Roman 35ish

Shiv early 30's

Even with the samey arguments etc I still think its quality TV

Kendall was organising his 40th in last night's episode

They are backing the nutter for president just to make money. Big Tech is the new enemy and they need a lot of money to try to pivot and take them on. The nutter will bring in a huge audience like Trump did. He'll say outrageous stuff but can also debate and fight. Logan and Roman don't give a **** if it wrecks the US in the process. They'll still be in their ivory towers.

I still enjoy the series a lot and the zingers are something else at times - and they just keep coming, it's like watching a classic screwball comedy;you have to listen close to every sentence - and the acting is great, but it has lost me a bit in this season. It feels like it's spinning its wheels at times and the subplots seem to ebb and flow in importance each week, without a whole lot of consistency - and some of the way things play out feels kind of unrealistic.

This season feels a bit aimless, I hope though that there'll be some jaw dropping moments towards the home stretch.

That said, the scene between Kendall and Tom was really great. I'm rooting for Tom to fck them all. He's the only character who appears able to redeem himself.

I think Logan saying he'd consider Connor was more to f*ck with Shiv and Roman, to see if either of them would have the balls to say of course they wouldn't. It ended up being Greg who surprisingly was honest enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Think Shiv will have enough of her father with his support for the racist and perhaps go over to Kendall side to save Tom. This season feels like a retreat of season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I always assumed Shiv came after Kendall but was older than Roman. Late 30s approximately.

Weirdest part of the episode for me was the kids' mother marrying Peter Munnion, because all I could think of was Peter Mannion from The Thick of It.

Potential crossover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Highly possible. Jesse Armstrong was a writer on The Thick of It as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Only three episodes left, according to currently listed airing dates. They'd want to push it up a few notches to finish the season out on a high as things have been a little messy with an underwhelming plot so far in season 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was that a line of duty reference when they were talking about "H"?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't know why the tolerate Conor at all. He's the least capable of them all, yet has the grandest vision for himself.

I thought he made a deal with Logan, close to the end of season 2, where Logan would give him money for his girlfriends play, as long as he dropped his plans to run for president. Am I remembering that wrong?

• Advertisement

I think Conor has never really been fleshed out as a character. His "run for President" story has always felt a bit undercooked to me.

Yeah, it is a bit stupid. I can understand that he might be blowing that dream up in his own head, but I can't see how Logan or anyone else in the family haven't totally shut him down on how ludicrous it is.

It's probably because he has enough shares in the company and is sensitive enough that Logan or others completely shutting him down might make him sell up or at least not side with them in votes etc. Plus while Ken, Shiv, Roman and Logan can all b*tch at each other because they all give as good as they get and roll with it, Connor is just of a different breed (literally, I'm pretty sure he has a different mother than the others).

Over the years they've probably found it's best to just placate him a bit to keep him happy but not let him have any actual power or influence.

Of course, I forgot about the shares he'd have, and the power that would give him. Yeah, it's come up before about him having a different mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

This season has been very slow thus far. Hopefully Tom flips the chess board and brings down Logan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Shiv definitely didn't look happy with the choice for president, wonder if that could be the catilist for things to come.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I suppose it's just easier for everyone to let him think he could be president and keep him onside and happy.

No point alienating him when he really doesn't cause any hassle other than talking ****.

Conor is delusional, lives in his own little world, no one takes him seriously, not his siblings, dad or even his wife

He's a joke , the presidential ambition thing is a joke to everyone but him

She's not his wife. No way Logan would let him marry a concubine like that.

yep, I was expecting Logan to say "yeah you can be president but first you need to split up with the girlfriend, like right now"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Roman seems to get very taken with people if they speak with authority. First the odd guy at the theme park manager camp and now their presidential pick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I agree the show has lost something this season, it's not quite as gripping.

I am most fearful for Siobhan at the moment.

Yeah, but then you remember she's just as bad as the rest of them.

I wonder is that down to running out of ideas or just bad luck with covid hitting that they had to re-jig the original plan as a result of logistics etc.

The first 2 seasons were top class. Season 3 is still good just a step down in terms of overall quality delivered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement