Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Succession [HBO] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Gregg the Egg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

What a great show. Took a couple of episodes to fully get into it but then it just takes off, excellent writing, acting, camera work and humour!
    This and the morning show are two of the best I've watched in recent times. Looking forward to season three.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Finished season 2 tonight. Excellent from start to finish .
    The finale was superb and the little smile at the end from Logan was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I am eagerly awaiting the return of this series :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I am eagerly awaiting the return of this series :D.

I think I read August of this year is the new season?
    A long wait!

• Advertisement

That is very long indeed. Couldn't see anything concrete about when the new season will air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

PressRun wrote: »
    I think I read August of this year is the new season?
    A long wait!

Dunno what the usual turn around is on these things. They start shooting in April. https://deadline.com/2020/02/succession-brian-cox-alter-ego-shooting-april-2020-1202859082/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just finished season 2 last night. Wow, wow, wow, what a show! I loved every minute of every episode. The characters, the cast, the script, the symbolism, Greg the Egg...all sublime. The best HBO show in years.

Can't wait for the next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Confirmed: Billy Crystal joining the cast for season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Confirmed: Billy Crystal joining the cast for season 3

Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

den87 wrote: »
    Really?

It's a weird inside joke they have with themselves to post this in several topics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Just finished season 1 of this over the past week at home, really dont see what all the hype was about. Decent but impossible to like any of the characters and the theme tune playing in the background consistently gets annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just finished season 1 of this over the past week at home, really dont see what all the hype was about. Decent but impossible to like any of the characters and the theme tune playing in the background consistently gets annoying

I don't think you're supposed to like the characters, at least not all of them, but that shouldn't mean it's no good?

I personally do like Kendal, Tom and Greg the Egg

You're definitely not supposed to like them. What is there to like? Greg seems to have some self-awareness, but even he isn't above throwing others under the bus to get what he wants.
    It's a billionaire family who are intent on holding onto whatever wealth and power they have no matter what. They're not supposed to be likeable.

That's one of the best parts of the show. Saying that I like Kendall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I watched this recently, skipped over a few episodes as I also don’t find it as incredible as others do. It’s by no means awful but I think it would work better as a straight drama, rather than with the quirky comedy from characters like Tom. Dunno, just didn’t get as into it as lots of other people.

Last few minutes of the season 2 finale were pretty great though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Finished the 2nd season and found it much better and enjoyable. Still think it was over hyped from what some friends and reviews I read said. Did grow to like Greg/Roman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Just started this last night. Opener was good but nothing special. Is it worth sticking with?

Just started this last night. Opener was good but nothing special. Is it worth sticking with?

Absolutely. Its good TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I think it improves slowly as it goes along.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Saw this a couple of weeks back, loved it!
    i was actually fond of all the characters by end of season 2 except Shiv, Kendall is the man though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a slow burn. I wasn't grabbed by the first couple of episodes - to the extent that I thought it was overhyped and not worth it - but they lay the groundwork during the first couple of episodes about the characters and the stakes.

I found around episode five or six it becomes much more engrossing and by the end of season one it's mind blowing and the quality stays up there all the way on from there. I thought the season finale for season one was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. Everything paid off so spectacularly.

You'll be surprised about how much you care about the characters after a while.

Stick with it. It's worth it, easily the best show on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I watched the first episode way back when, but it didn't grab me. Went back to it a few months ago and ended up binging the whole thing over a few weeks. It's insanely good. The characters are incredibly unlikable... until you start not being able to help but like them. The story is fairly simple for the most part, but it's about the characters playing off against each other.

It's really well acted, presented, and is just a great show overall. Really enjoyed it in the end.

I wouldn't say I came to like any of the characters, but it's certainly compelling viewing to see the power struggle between them develop over the two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have found myself liking Tom quite a bit as the show has gone on. In many ways he's as awful as the rest of them, but I don't think he's deep down quite as fundamentally fcked. I think he might still manage to escape and save himself. He does seem to have moments where he genuinely questions what is going on.

Greg is hilarious and all, but I think he's actually a more evil, or amoral, character than Tom. I look forward to see how their relationship develops. The scenes between the two actors are always fantastic.

I think Shiv is the most irredeemably ruined of the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's all worth it for the stag episode I think

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's all worth it for the stag episode I think

And where they meet up with the other media family to buy them out, particularly where Roman is put on the spot for a book recomendation comes up with The Electric Circus by Timothy Lipton :D.

Arghus wrote: »
    I have found myself liking Tom quite a bit as the show has gone on. In many ways he's as awful as the rest of them, but I don't think he's deep down quite as fundamentally fcked. I think he might still manage to escape and save himself. He does seem to have moments where he genuinely questions what is going on.

Greg is hilarious and all, but I think he's actually a more evil, or amoral, character than Tom. I look forward to see how their relationship develops. The scenes between the two actors are always fantastic.

I think Shiv is the most irredeemably ruined of the lot of them.

I think he definitely is. Even if he does question what's going on (so do Greg and Kendall to an extent), he's very shallow and way too easily impressed by power and money. He is maybe not quite as ruthless as the Roy children, but he tries to be. He was very happy to flex what little power he has on Greg and I think he would be more than willing to throw him to the wolves if it meant getting ahead, only Greg is smarter than him.

Personally, I think everyone in Logan's close circle is pretty irredeemable, but I think Roman is the worst. I just think he's too spineless and feeble-minded in the face of his father to come out of this with any integrity. And he has a pretty nasty streak too - often needlessly cruel to people he views as beneath him.

Honestly, Conor is probably the one who is the most outside it all and therefore probably the least poisoned by everything that's going on. He's a ridiculous, egotistical, delusional individual, but he doesn't seem as cruel or ruthless as the others, not that we've seen so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Really great couple of series; everything is top-notch, self-assured and Machiavellian. The story-line and dialogue are great, with some killer lines.
    I thought after the first few episodes that Greg would end up eventually as CEO at some stage: at the end of season 2, there he is, riding on the coat-tails of Kendall, manila envelope in hand. He may be bumbling now, but I reckon he'll end up being even more ruthless than Kendall has learnt to become.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Advertisement