Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards unfettered sexism (See Mod Note in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

anewme wrote: »
    From your comment and reading it in respect of what posters have bravely posted here.

It reads as if you see cancel culture here.

It was a general response to what a previous poster said. I wasn't even thinking in terms of this forum when I responded. I do see now where you are coming from, but there is no hidden malicious agenda in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It was a general response to what a previous poster said. I wasn't even thinking in terms of this forum when I responded. I do see now where you are coming from, but there is no hidden malicious agenda in it.

Understood.

I thought that overall, but when you said Boards it read like it was here.

Understood.

I thought that overall, but when you said Boards it read like it was here.

I don't blame you tbh. Given the history of pricks landing in here to derail threads it's understandable with hindsight.

Just observing the Claire Byrne Live thread atm, where a young man is featured on a site for young people to watch sexual content, one could say the shoe is on the other foot. Overt sexuality all around is very much part of society now, eg compared to when I was a young girl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Al Lorenzo wrote: »
    Honest question here, and if your mod bans me then fine,

Your wish is my command etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

Honest question here, and if your mod bans me then fine, but I would ask that this post not be deleted cos I'm interested in the response, but what will happen when the male posters refuse to be re-educated?

Most men do not appreciate being told by feminists what they can and can't say.

:rolleyes:
    We're too busy trying to navigate the world on our own terms, and have dealt with being told to be good/quiet/less aggressive for most of our lives. Educate your own good self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Honest question here, and if your mod bans me then fine, but I would ask that this post not be deleted cos I'm interested in the response, but what will happen when the male posters refuse to be re-educated?

Most men do not appreciate being told by feminists what they can and can't say.

Nothing much will happen. After a while they'll have the entire boards.ie to themselves. That's what this thread is trying to highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You do realise this is the Ladies Lounge? I'm sure I'm not the only female in here who thinks that this forum is no place for a post like that.

This forum used to be a safe place, safe from talk like that.

strandroad wrote: »
    Nothing much will happen. After a while they'll have the entire boards.ie to themselves. That's what this thread is trying to highlight.

Good case in point (the previous quoted post). Most people (as in both genders) don't like being told what to say, that's true. But this thread isn't about being told what to say, it's about not being a prick. It's not radical feminism to expect to be treated with respect.

I see now what you mean about people hopping in :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Honestly I have to disagree. Look at the posts here. You ladies want a forum free from sexism racism, transphobia etc.

So in reality any right wing opinions on feminism, immigration and the trans agenda will be disallowed.

That's what this is a about.

Wrong wing views you mean ;)

Ps: banned

• Advertisement

You ladies

*Cough*

Anyway, 'You ladies want a forum free from sexism racism, transphobia etc.'

Wtf is wrong with that? Doesn't everyone want that. By the very definition of those terms they are negative.

*Cough*

Anyway, 'You ladies want a forum free from sexism racism, transphobia etc.'

Wtf is wrong with that? Doesn't everyone want that. By the very definition of those terms they are negative.

How dare you want to be an equal in society? Go back to the kitchen. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Joking BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Honestly I have to disagree. Look at the posts here. You ladies want a forum free from sexism racism, transphobia etc.

So in reality any right wing opinions on feminism, immigration and the trans agenda will be disallowed.

That's what this is a about.

I think we just want to be able to stand up for ourselves when we are being disrespected without being mansplained to about how our feelings are wrong, irrelevant and invalid.

It’s #notallmen, but it sure is enough of them that any thread on women’s issues is turned into ‘but what about the menfolk’ cesspit.
    And where Olympic level mental gymnastics are performed to justify everything from sh*tty prick behaviour to assaults (and worse) on women. No matter what evidence is there, a certain cohort will find a way to blame the woman and turn the man into a victim and a martyr.
    And when you’re seeing this happen over and over again, over a long period time, it gets really boring and tedious.

sullivlo wrote: »
    How dare you want to be an equal in society? Go back to the kitchen. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Joking BTW.

I am phenomenal in the kitchen :D

But joking aside this is a perfect example. On this part of the forum that post is actioned and dealt with. The same can't be said for other parts of the site, hence the reason for this thread.

It's important for everyone that rules are applied equally and fairly. For the mods so that they aren't accused of bias (no escaping that though in reality), for the poster themselves so they have consistency and don't get banned for something that is ok in other parts of the site, and for the readers so they know that everyone is equal and that there is no bias.

Edit: hit post too fast

I don't think this is easily obtained though. How many mods are there? I would say enough that getting consensus is really, really, hard. That doesn't mean it is not worth working towards though.

It's pretty clear that some people are not happy with this thread and are threatened by it. Its probably the same person who just keeps re registering.

Rather than engage with trolly mc troll head, just report it.

Unfortunately, mods have to keep deleting the same poster.

I think this happens in loads of threads, not just here.

Like a fly, just needs to be swatted away. Or a good dose of Raid.

Best way to deal with a pest.

It's pretty clear that some people are not happy with this thread and are threatened by it. Its probably the same person who just keeps re registering.

Rather than engage with trolly mc troll head, just report it.

Unfortunately, mods have to keep deleting the same poster.

I think this happens in loads of threads, not just here.

Like a fly, just needs to be swatted away. Or a good dose of Raid.

Best way to deal with a pest.

23 notifications of reported posts in the last few hours. My ban hammer needs repairing.

23 notifications of reported posts in the last few hours. My ban hammer needs repairing.

Make that 24

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

A positive experience I've had with sexism and moderarion on boards....
    The personal issues /relationship issues fora used to have a lot of sexist advice and gender stereotypes. This has definitely improved in the last year or so and the mods are very good at actioning posts that get reported. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's definitely a place I see the mods working hard.
    That's not a discussion fora though (it's purely for advice) so I know not directly comparable to other forums here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

But you are allowed have a discussion. Me coming in with a dissenting opinion does not prevent you from expressing your opinion.

Accusing the posters here of silencing men is clearly an attempt to silence this conversation. Which I think is ironic. Maybe the post had been removed now that I was referring to.

Please dont waste energy feeding trolls.

There was a PUA bloke used to appear every Sunday morning and post weird videos.

Pissed off mods as they had to keep getting rid of him. Not sure why the IT systems are not strong enough to detect constant re reg but that's for boards management and investment.

The objective of that person is to distract and water down the real Agenda. As is happening here. So ignore and report is the only action.

Old Dublin saying.... dont give your wit.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin: Troll and replies to said troll deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Wrong wing views you mean ;)

Ps: banned

I'm sorry but that does make me uneasy. Especially on transportation issues and stuff where more and more people are accused of having wrong opinions and shouldn't be heard.

I'm all against abuse and insults but people shouldn't have the right not to be challenged just because they feel the other person's views are wrong. Then you are getting closed society when only the 'right' thinking is allowed. I grew up in that, it's not a nice happy place of people educated into the right way of thinking.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that does make me uneasy. Especially on transportation and stuff where more and more people are accused of having wrong opinions and shouldn't be heard.

I'm all against abuse and insults but people shouldn't have the right not to be challenged just because they feel the other person's views are wrong. Then you are getting closed society when only the 'right' thinking is allowed. I grew up in that, it's not a nice happy place of people educated into the right way of thinking.
    It was a play on words with a poster who was intentionally trying to wind up other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that does make me uneasy. Especially on transportation and stuff where more and more people are accused of having wrong opinions and shouldn't be heard.

Well said. I have friends in eastern Europe who are adamant in their defense of anyone's right to hold politically incorrect views.
    Im a bit stumped on transportation :) is there a controversial view on that I have not heard about?

A person I would show as an example of one being framed as a right wing bigot who should be deplatformed is Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She has just written a book called Prey. She is absolutely not a racist, an Islamophobe, a transphobe, though she is called all those names for having reasonable, politely articulated views that are not considered right-on at this time.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Well said. I have friends in eastern Europe who are adamant in their defense of anyone's right to hold politically incorrect views.
    Im a bit stumped on transportation :) is there a controversial view on that I have not heard about?

A person I would show as an example of one being framed as a right wing bigot who should be deplatformed is Ayaan Hirsi Ali. She has just written a book called Prey. She is absolutely not a racist, an Islamophobe, a transphobe, though she is called all those names for having reasonable, politely articulated views that are not considered right-on at this time.

Difference between holding different views and discussing and constant trolling to upset others and issue out abuse just to stir.

The Mods on any forum should not have to remove 24 re regs a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I just noticed that. I should reread posts before I press post button. :D

Difference between holding different views and discussing and constant trolling to upset others and issue out abuse just to stir.

The Mods on any forum should not have to remove 24 re regs a night.

I have not said otherwise at all. I was responding to meeeh talking about a societal enforcement of ''right think'', which has happened in many places in many times in world history, and happens still.

The mystery to me is why anyone would bother re regging even once in a night - and re regging compulsively might be indicative of mental health issues, to be honest.

To be devil's advocate, the 'reasons' you say are given by Dudara don't make sense (to me) - an ''amazing'' but ''hate''-filled site - it seems an odd coupling.

I would not see it as odd at all.

I had missed that Poster Dudara too, really lovely poster.

To me, what she is saying makes total sense, there are areas of the site and forums and people on the site who are amazing, I've had lots of help to queries down the years, be they household, personal, or what else.

The other side of it, there are the toxic posters who are hate driven and want to hurt people. Its not about different views, there can be different views without abusing or mocking people.

It is when the good ones leave as a result of the bad ones and that the bad ones are not tackled, that discussions have no barrier or filter (somebody mentioned imigrants should be drowned as an example) that posters like Dudara and indeed many posters who have been honest here dont see an option but to leave or stay away.

Surely that is consorship in itself. Might as well put up a keep out sign.

I would not see it as odd at all.

I had missed that Poster Dudara too, really lovely poster.

To me, what she is saying makes total sense, there are areas of the site and forums and people on the site who are amazing, I've had lots of help to queries down the years, be they household, personal, or what else.

The other side of it, there are the toxic posters who are hate driven and want to hurt people. Its not about different views, there can be different views without abusing or mocking people.

It is when the good ones leave as a result of the bad ones and that the bad ones are not tackled, that discussions have no barrier or filter (somebody mentioned imigrants should be drowned as an example) that posters like Dudara and indeed many posters who have been honest here dont see an option but to leave or stay away.

Surely that is consorship in itself. Might as well put up a keep out sign.

On the opposite side of that, I have closed various accounts over the years on boards and stayed away for periods of time, because of personalised abuse I have received persistently from ''right on'' politically-correct long-time boards members who have freely called me names like bigot and hater and phobic and insulted me and so on, because some of my political views - which I believe I generally articulate as best I can without hatred, bar the odd bit of frustrated sarcasm - are not acceptable in polite society these days. The sword is double edged, perhaps. No one likes being labelled disgusting untrue things.

• Advertisement

On the opposite side of that, I have closed various accounts over the years on boards and stayed away for periods of time, because of personalised abuse I have received persistently from ''right on'' politically-correct long-time boards members who have freely called me names like bigot and hater and phobic and insulted me and so on, because some of my political views - which I believe I generally articulate as best I can without hatred, bar the odd bit of frustrated sarcasm - are not acceptable in polite society these days. The sword is double edged, perhaps. No one likes being labelled disgusting untrue things.

Sorry to hear that you received personalised abuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement