Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭brookville

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny had,
    Brian Dowling
    Tommy Shefflin
    Ray Challoner
    Pat O'Neill
    Philly Larkin
    Angela Downey was also there to some capacity

I am not sure who they had as physio etc and s&c

That's as good a management team you can get. Probably better set up than the senior hurling at present
    Cheddar has assembled a strong backroom team and best of luck to him but I have to agree our backroom team doesn't inspire much confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs wrote: »
    I mentioned this last year, after I was at a senior camogie match that involved Dublin.
    They had about 12 on the sideline, using video cameras, ipads, notebooks etc.. Crazy stuff.

Also , mentioned at the same match, the amount of 'maor's and water bottle carriers invading the pitch whenever there was a free or a player down... its a fecking epidemic now !
    Was at the clubs minor championship the other night , and it was the same ! Underage players with water bottles for the Minors on the pitch, must have been about 6 boys&girls running on !!!
    Stupidity !:rolleyes:

I mentioned the amount of 'staff' Dublin had nearly 18mths ago !
    A bit crazy ,when they cant do it on the pitch...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

I mentioned the amount of 'staff' Dublin had nearly 18mths ago !
    A bit crazy ,when they cant do it on the pitch...

It just shows the machine thats behind them.
    All the underage teams from Dublin and Cork are the 2 i have noticed
    Come with large backroom teams and panels fully kitted out
    The kilkenny panels are told to wear something black and amber
    Going to the matches if they have it.

It just shows the machine thats behind them.
    All the underage teams from Dublin and Cork are the 2 i have noticed
    Come with large backroom teams and panels fully kitted out
    The kilkenny panels are told to wear something black and amber
    Going to the matches if they have it

Thats it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭KK36

Thats it. :rolleyes:

Is this accurate?

• Advertisement

KK36 wrote: »
    Is this accurate?

Sorry ? What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sorry ? What do you mean?

Is it accurate that they don't get gear?

Is it accurate that they don't get gear?

My daughter has been involved in underage squads for the past few years.

A jumper is the extent of gear that is provided.
    As prev poster said, its a case of "just wear what ever b&a gear you have".
    So you have girls wearing different shorts and socks.
    It just looks 'amateurish' , if you know what i mean.

Other counties arrive in county tracksuit, gear bag, all wearing same shorts and socks. It just gives a good impression, and helps the girls feel part of something important.

I know people will say "its only gear " or whatever, but if other counties can do it, why cant ours !?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I know people will say "its only gear " or whatever,

I agree with you, as superficial as it might seem it does wonders for the sense of cohesion in a team to have that gear.

It definitely looks so much better when you see a panel get of a bus in there intercounty strip.And like ye said a sense of cohesion and a team that is in it together.
    And it is intimidating when you look over and see 40 in a group all togged the same .Its also a big deal for kids to get that intercounty gear
    I was lucky enough to be handed that and i wore it to death.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I agree with this in a way.

Years ago, lads starting training/playing at U12 level, while nowadays it's starting at U6s.

I'd love to see a report on the effect of this - maybe a dissertation for some Sports Science student.

Are players more tired/burnt out/fed up/drained etc. earlier these days. Starting so early and by the times lads are 17, they must be shattered in a way. Apply that if they play football and hurling.

Re: Academy/development squads. I think a good solution, or something that would help would be more games. Imagine all underage players getting an extra, say, 8 games with their clubs. Would that not be more beneficial than 30 lads getting 'training' with a development/academy squad on a Saturday morning.

The games to training ratio must be better. Games is where players, especially underage players learn.

Ask young lads, what do you want to do at training? The vast majority will say play a match.

Give them what they want and I guarantee that retention levels, in terms of keeping at it, will improve.

I agree with this in a way.

Years ago, lads starting training/playing at U12 level, while nowadays it's starting at U6s.

I'd love to see a report on the effect of this - maybe a dissertation for some Sports Science student.

Are players more tired/burnt out/fed up/drained etc. earlier these days. Starting so early and by the times lads are 17, they must be shattered in a way. Apply that if they play football and hurling.

Re: Academy/development squads. I think a good solution, or something that would help would be more games. Imagine all underage players getting an extra, say, 8 games with their clubs. Would that not be more beneficial than 30 lads getting 'training' with a development/academy squad on a Saturday morning.

The games to training ratio must be better. Games is where players, especially underage players learn.

Ask young lads, what do you want to do at training? The vast majority will say play a match.

Give them what they want and I guarantee that retention levels, in terms of keeping at it, will improve.

Undoubtedly .
    Depends on the age group though.
    At very young ages the emphasis should be on how to run/jump correctly -
    Then as they progress/get older the training should then become more tactical/drills etc.
    But as you say, all they want to do is play..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

Anyone have a full list of who is training/managing different clubs this year? I’d imagine all sorted by now

Anyone have a full list of who is training/managing different clubs this year? I’d imagine all sorted by now
    I'm open to correction but the few I think I know
    Shamrocks unchanged
    Tullaron liam keoghan
    Village seamus dwyer
    Boro pauric fanning
    Bennettsbridge dan the man and willie maher
    Clara kevin Ryan
    Olg andy comerford
    Lisdowney not sure
    Rower not sure
    Vegas is a waugh man he has a few sons playing for thomastown.
    Gbc eugene cloonan
    Comer Martin fogarty
    Intermediate muckalee Jimmy coogan
    Gowran tom coogan
    Conahy christy walsh
    Thomastown henry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

brookville wrote: »
    Shamrocks unchanged
    Tullaron liam keoghan
    Village seamus dwyer
    Boro pauric fanning
    Clara kevin Ryan
    Olg andy comerford
    Lisdowney not sure
    Rower not sure
    Gbc eugene cloonan
    Comer Martin fogarty
    Gowran tom coogan
    Conahy christy walsh
    Thomastown henry
    rower Dave Guiney

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AhBoyDelaney

Lisdowney Martin Power
    Mullinavat Adrian Burke
    Are the Rower mgmt gone already after one year last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Undoubtedly .
    Depends on the age group though.
    At very young ages the emphasis should be on how to run/jump correctly -
    Then as they progress/get older the training should then become more tactical/drills etc.
    But as you say, all they want to do is play..

But you’d wonder were Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney learning how to run/jump correctly at that age?

I’m not sure.

I’d say Tommy was just pucking around in the garden non stop with his father and brothers etc.

Instilling a love of hurling is still the most important skill any coach can pass onto a child

Lisdowney Martin Power
    Mullinavat Adrian Burke
    Are the Rower mgmt gone already after one year last year?

I meant to say burke is over vegas sorry
    There was talk last year that Michael Dempsey was going to help out lisdowney but he is with Joseph's in laois.

A few words from the Thomastown manager.

“I did enjoy my time with Ballyhale and I took a year out because I hadn't had a break between playing and managing. I didn't think I was going to spend as much time at home as I have in the last 12 months. For me, it was to get back involved. I wouldn't manage against my own club Ballyhale in the senior ranks so Thomastown are a club just down the road from myself so I'm looking forward to getting involved with them. Will I go into inter-county management down the line? It’s a good question that I don't have the answer to at this moment in time. I’m enjoying it, my children are starting to get older, they're starting to get more independent and that means there are opportunities that will afford themselves. We'll see how it goes. Once you're enjoying things then you just don't know what's going to come around the corner."
    -Henry Shefflin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Maurice Ayward over Glenmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Shamrocks unchanged
    Tullaron liam keoghan
    Village seamus dwyer
    Boro pauric fanning
    Clara kevin Ryan
    Olg andy comerford
    Lisdowney not sure
    Rower not sure
    Gbc eugene cloonan
    Comer Martin fogarty
    Gowran tom coogan
    Conahy christy walsh
    Thomastown henry
    Three Waterford men and Cloonan.. Some travel for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Village87

Hard to know what to make of GAA's announcement yesterday. No activity anywhere until Mid April. So taking all things into account, competitions will not be starting until June. Very hard not to see club action going first. Inter county could also have crowds for the Autumn/ winter campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Rosita

Village87 wrote: »
    Hard to know what to make of GAA's announcement yesterday. No activity anywhere until Mid April. So taking all things into account, competitions will not be starting until June. Very hard not to see club action going first. Inter county could also have crowds for the Autumn/ winter campaign.

I'd sat the chances of another December All Ireland final has increased significantly in the last 24 hours. But I wouldn't be too sure about crowds. This year is already shaping up to be more restrictive than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

This year looks like a total wipe out all ready .

Intercounty at best will be leinster round robin.but probably just straight knockout leagues gone at this stage.
    Club cant start until level 2 which will probably be end of May.
    Tough on kids facing uncertainty again .

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Intercounty at best will be leinster round robin.but probably just straight knockout leagues gone at this stage.
    Club cant start until level 2 which will probably be end of May.
    Tough on kids facing uncertainty again .

There will be definitely be no adult club hurling until June anyway and that’s if everything runs as to plan with cases dropping.

Nothing is guaranteed

James maher is back in with county panel.If he can stay injury free he definitely has something to offer around our troublesome midfield position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Heard we have a new video analyst, has a very impressive CV. Hopefully he'll be listened to when highlighting the flaws in our game, which I assume he should be able to show them with ease after some of the displays from the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Village87

James maher is back in with county panel.If he can stay injury free he definitely has something to offer around our troublesome midfield position.

Why did Cody drop him ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement