Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I'd like to see the girl from the Allen's replace anna as a coach next year! Shes a good talker and can back it up!

She's very pretty. Trainee radiographer, in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think Ruth did the splits getting off the last wall her leg got stuck up there.

I'd say the day after you would have pains you never knew you could have pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Arduach wrote: »
    She's very pretty. Trainee radiographer, in UCD.

She's a fine looking woman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

She's a fine looking woman

Knows it too I'd say but yeah, she is a good looking girl alright but she's got great determination as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Arduach wrote: »
    I think the parents let them down.
    Big time, they literally had to drag that mum the whole way through the bog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

GO ON TYSIE!!!!!
    Only problem with this show is how it seems to be more about the coaches and not as much about the real stars, the families.

On another note, and suppose it’s due to COVID, but glad they have gone back to basic sets and not just about doing something in Croke Park or other “iconic” locations.

Water John wrote: »
    Not the five forwards but stamina and repeated leg drive is the major training in rugby.

It's a real funny one John. Kinda counter intuitive. I had a powerful pair of legs on me at the time, and I just couldn't move!!

We were watching a group of men, I'd say they were runners, about 10st weight. Cross country legged, and they were able to get their legs moving.

2 Wexford families in the final.

Tipp and Kildare.

Wonder was Tysie a pugilist in his day!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I owe an apology!

I said Dervl was that into the families etc!
    Someone here pointed out her attention to detail and her coaching skills.’

100% agree - she walked her team through the course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Trampas

gmisk wrote: »
    Big time, they literally had to drag that mum the whole way through the bog.

Didn’t even seem to try in swap. It was like drag me through

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

doughef wrote: »
    I owe an apology!

I said Dervl was that into the families etc!
    Someone here pointed out her attention to detail and her coaching skills.’

100% agree - she walked her team through the course
    Just after one of her families got out of the swamp, but before they climbed the "ladder" to get onto the road, she is by the side of the track, holding back the barrier tape, one could say to make it easier for the family to get out of the swamp run, but she is definitely effecting the width of the course for them.

Whether it was intentional or an accident is hard to know, but if intentional - a great move that was gotten away with!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Trampas wrote: »
    Didn’t even seem to try in swap. It was like drag me through
    Its a shame because those two young fellas were great as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kuczklinski's didn't look to be on form at all tonight

I'm watching it on RTÉ Player now.
    They looked sluggish and very unlike they had in previous challenges.
    I really felt they were guaranteed final material until tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,118 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ticey is built for strength not speed I think.
    He's a machine of a man but doesn't seem to be able to go the distance.
    ...says me from my armchair, cupcake in hand by the way!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Ticey is built for strength not speed I think.
    He's a machine of a man but doesn't seem to be able to go the distance.
    ...says me from my armchair, cupcake in hand by the way!

Ticey is a machine with a quiet, unrelenting determination to win.

Delighted for him and his family.

It's great for the local area to have a family in the final. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for the Mileys to be in the final. Now they just need to win it.
    Kind of sad to see the kajinskis go.

Very close in the last elimanator but happy with who won.
    It would have been bad if it was just all Dervals teams in the final and she could afford to lose a couple like she did.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is Ticey a nickname or an actual name? Never heard it before this series! I thought he was actually going to drop dead after that run with the log. (I'd say his kids did too, they way they launched themselves at him to hold him up!)

Fair play to the Mileys, those girls look like they wouldn't blow dust off a table, but my god they're made of stern stuff!

Hard to know if the bog or the swamp was the tougher challenge - I think the bog, they all seemed to get actually, properly stuck in it - the swamp you could swim yourself over it.

I was also very surprised at the Kulczynskis, but that bog fairly knocked it out of the parents especially.

Great episode, looking forward to the final now!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is Ticey a nickname or an actual name?

Think it's short for matthias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

No Croke Park this year. Mountain it is.. The bog looks lethal tough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Great performance by the Mileys in the first event.

Davys family dropped the ball on the bog challenge. It's like Davy said when he had to going running after yer man to get him to go back and help the other three, he's no use up there.

The bog would definitely be the worst in my experience of both doing it in a long sleeve tshirt, shorts, and runners at Hell and Backs/ Tough Mudders etc and having to do with helmet, battlevest, and rifle in the Defence Forces. You're having to lift the legs clear out of it every time you want to take a step and it just saps the energy out of you. A swim/paddle when you've got a lifevest even if you are going flat out is handy compared to that. Even the O'Rourke lad who had a shocker in the water last week seemed fine with this.

Instruction really does help rather than just the general shouting and roaring. If you are gassed, you're not going to be thinking straight and just having someone saying move your left foot up, or go on the right side is a lot more helpful than I NEED YOU TO MOVE DAVE, MOVE, MOVE, MOVE.

Hard to know who the best of the remaining are.

Cullens look good all round. Katie did very well on the balance beam and the monkey bars by herself.

The Mahoneys, look good on paper and the makeup of the team. You've got three young fit males, but the events might not suit.

The Mileys, I'd be a fan of. Good mix of strength, speed and nimbleness.

The Allens have Ticey, some man for one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm watching it on RTÉ Player now.
    They looked sluggish and very unlike they had in previous challenges.
    I really felt they were guaranteed final material until tonight.

Yeah, even the eldest son didn't look great.. I don't know if he was holding back for the mother or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What's the Miley's sport?

They don't seem to harp on about that as much these days. But I remember in the early series' the cross-country runners absolutely ran away with it (pardon the pun), trouncing all comers. I was equally amazed and impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Between last week and this week I can recall 2 different races at least where the leading time lost huge time on the crawling under the net part as a result if some weird technique where the lead almost stands up and lifts the net in that area for the others to pass them out and then do the same.

My point being in time like that the coaching is invaluable. The coach will have seen this obstacle before and can advise the families who must be wrecked how to best negotiate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,742 ✭✭✭✭josip

Between last week and this week I can recall 2 different races at least where the leading time lost huge time on the crawling under the net part as a result if some weird technique where the lead almost stands up and lifts the net in that area for the others to pass them out and then do the same.

My point being in time like that the coaching is invaluable. The coach will have seen this obstacle before and can advise the families who must be wrecked how to best negotiate it.

I'd like to see separate nets for each family.
    It's happened a couple of times that a family is 10-15 seconds behind, but are close enough to the other family's free space under the net, to catch up without spending any effort.
    It might be deliberately designed that way by the program makers to ensure that families are close going in to the 2nd half of the course.
    But I don't think it's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

It really had. Annas team last week and Davys this week.

Looking at the other episodes, Anna's team in Episode five as well were doing that daft crawl through the legs technique. All four of their team were in the net before the second member of Dervals team arrived and all four were still in the net when Dervals team were getting back on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭clickhere

Great episode last night and congrats to all the family's.. They really are the stars of the show.. Because the opening event in each semi final was different, first was the bog and the second was the swamp. If they had been changed around do you think we would have different family's in the final. Just a thought. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

josip wrote: »
    I'd like to see separate nets for each family.
    It's happened a couple of times that a family is 10-15 seconds behind, but are close enough to the other family's free space under the net, to catch up without spending any effort.
    It might be deliberately designed that way by the program makers to ensure that families are close going in to the 2nd half of the course.
    But I don't think it's fair.

Those nets are pretty heavy and unless you're pretty close to another person you'll get no benefit of someone else being under.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The bog would definitely be the worst in my experience of both doing it in a long sleeve tshirt, shorts, and runners at Hell and Backs/ Tough Mudders etc and having to do with helmet, battlevest, and rifle in the Defence Forces. You're having to lift the legs clear out of it every time you want to take a step and it just saps the energy out of you. A swim/paddle when you've got a lifevest even if you are going flat out is handy compared to that. Even the O'Rourke lad who had a shocker in the water last week seemed fine with this.

I've never been in a bog/swamp like that but in a similar situation a few years ago I was snowboarding off piste in deep powder and took a fall. When I stood up the snow was about 1.5 metres deep and I couldnt get going downhill again on the snowboard, I couldnt even lift it up such was the weight of the snow.

Luckily the main piste with groomed snow was only about 150m away but crawling through deep snow for that tiny distance took me the best part of 45 minutes. By which time I was absolutely wrecked with muscles behaving like jelly, even standing up was a problem. I got to the nearest chair lift and with no energy left and had to do the chair of shame down the mountain where you're passing by all the groups in chairs on their their way up while you're sitting in one alone on your way down. The embarrassment :o
    Instruction really does help rather than just the general shouting and roaring. If you are gassed, you're not going to be thinking straight and just having someone saying move your left foot up, or go on the right side is a lot more helpful than I NEED YOU TO MOVE DAVE, MOVE, MOVE, MOVE.

Yeah I think if I were in that situation where you are absolutely wrecked and Davy Fitz is roaring at you Id feel like stopping and telling him to shut the fcuk up because he's not helping. When contestants are really stuck in the mud shouting GO ON really isnt helping whereas giving calm instructions on how to get out of it would be far better.

Lots of shouting seems to be Davys coaching style though, you see him doing the same on the sidelines of hurling matches, he roars at the players for the entire lengh of the match (even though they can barely hear him above the crowd noise). His style is completely the opposite to someone like Brian Cody who just stands on the sideline largely silent and observes everything while making mental notes in his head so he can give detailed instructions to players at half time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Ticey some man to stay going, looked like he was almost dead. Should be a cracking finale up the mountain.

Advertisement