Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AMKC wrote: »
    Yes it will be very interesting to see what happens if that were to happen. Would the other couches then each take one of her familys or would she decide which coach gets which family? I take it she would get first choice. I know who I would like her to pick out of her familys and who I want to win it all
    I don't think the families change coach, once all a coaches families are out so are they essentially (Geary has none now), I am pretty sure that's how it works anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Caught up with last weeks and todays episodes. Derval does seem to be the most helpful of the four coaches. hearing her twice in the two eliminators actually telling them things like move in closer, don't run from that far, or get over on the left side it's lower down or whatever. As opposed to GET OVER THAT FCUKING WALL BEFORE I BRAIN YOU!!! and DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP (and repeat) :mad:

Looking at the makeup of the remaining teams.

Cullens - Dad, Son, Son, Daughter
    Mahonys - Mam - Son, Son, Son
    Mileys - Dad, Daughter, Son, Daughter
    Allens - Dad, Daughter, Son, Son
    Kulczynskis - Dad, Mam, Son, Son
    O'Rourkes - Dad, Son, Daughter, Daughter.

It's hard to know if any combination would be advantageous, other than putting someone who can swim into a water challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd have said that on balance the families with two females are at a bit of a disadvantage, except that the two who are in the semis absolutely smashed the eliminator rounds, so that's that theory out the window!

I actually was not really surprised that the non-swimmer fella was put forward for the pontoon challenge, I thought he'd do ok as there's more balance/strength involved than actual swimming - but the swimming took far more out of him than I thought (and than he thought, evidently!). He looked properly bollixed on that run back to the start.

Lovely to see the young Kulczinsky fella get his moment in the sun, he stayed up on that bar himself longer than one of the other families put together. Maybe his older brother's legs are stronger than his arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. She Derval is obviously doing something right. She has got all 4 of her familys into the Semi Finals and won every elimanator she has ever been in.

I think Dervals career as an individual athlete stands to her as a coach better than the other three who all come from team sport backgrounds. Sprinters like Derval are measured and benchmarked against their peers in hundredths of a single second. Which means in order to get an advantage every tiny detail of their training and races are broken down and anallysed and improved upon.

You can see a similar attention to detail in Dervals coaching, shes not just shouting at them a la Anna and Davy. Instead shes giving them really good advice at each obstacle so they can clear it quicker. In the heat of a race shes telling them to put an arm here or a leg there, guiding them to improve their overall time rather than just shouting at them to Get over that wall now! like the Anna and Davy do. Her coaching method is a lot smarter than the others imo. She has good attention to detail and its paying dividends for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thomas O Rourke is a fire fighter lads. Obviously he is braver around fire than water so that struggle with the water isn't a surprise to me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is he really? Firefighters get water rescue training I thought, unless he's in a department that doesn't do it, or just never done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Something else that did seem a bit unfair, I guess is the word, is that there are no penalties in the eliminator.

A team that finished 4th in Round 1 and Round 2, and a team that finished joint second but missed out by the tiebreaker both set off at the same time. There could well be Producers telling people what to do and more rules but it would appear there's no point in killing yourself on hang tough if you are a team that is great at Tough Mudders/Hell and Back type events.

Maybe a 15/20 second headstart for every point you are ahead by. It just seems very much like a case of Round 1 is worth 10 points, Round 2 is worth 10 points, the Eliminator is worth 21 points making the previous two rounds completely irrelevant. But then on the other hand it is Irelands Fittest Family and if you can compete in two events you can compete in three events.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think Dervals career as an individual athlete stands to her as a coach better than the other three who all come from team sport backgrounds. Sprinters like Derval are measured and benchmarked against their peers in hundredths of a single second. Which means in order to get an advantage every tiny detail of their training and races are broken down and anallysed and improved upon.

You can see a similar attention to detail in Dervals coaching, shes not just shouting at them a la Anna and Davy. Instead shes giving them really good advice at each obstacle so they can clear it quicker. In the heat of a race shes telling them to put an arm here or a leg there, guiding them to improve their overall time rather than just shouting at them to Get over that wall now! like the Anna and Davy do. Her coaching method is a lot smarter than the others imo. She has good attention to detail and its paying dividends for her.

I’d say dervila’s personality too is calmer and more measured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone think that shouting, encouraging or even talking to the families during Hang Tough has any benefit?
    If it was me, I'd prefer to just get in whatever zone I could and not be distracted out of it by any interaction.

Also, it seems to me that in the quarters, 2 families were getting through to the semis without all their fitness really being tested.
    The first event did in fairness, but that was only for the 2 fittest family members.
    Hang Tough is purely strength based, and grip strength at that, as we saw with Sabian (koala) and Luka (vice grips) Kulcynski.
    So half the families are going through to the semis without ever having their cardio tested.
    Which is what fitness means for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Derval wins another eliminator!!

Shoe in to win it now but Davy and Donncha has strong families so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That swamp is a real energy sapper, brutul stuff. Doenst help that they have lifejackets on underneath their tshirts either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Verrrrry tough event there! That must is like glue! Important to find the technique early to drag any stragglers through the mud and also have someone on the portion early at the end to drag the others up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That swamp is a real energy sapper, brutul stuff. Doenst help that they have lifejackets on underneath their tshirts either

I would love a go though! Not with Davy shouting at me like a fish wife though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fair play to the Mileys. Two girls on the team on a course more suited to rugby players.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wouldnt have thought the Kuczklinski's would be the ones to go :O

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Delighted for the O Mahonys .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Water John wrote: »
    Fair play to the Mileys. Two girls on the team on a course more suited to rugby players.

Well done indeed but it's not a course for rugby players. The bulk would be a serious disadvantage in the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

That was an extremely quick time for the Allens , great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Arduach wrote: »
    Well done indeed but it's not a course for rugby players. The bulk would be a serious disadvantage in the bog.

Not the five forwards but stamina and repeated leg drive is the major training in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kuczklinski's didn't look to be on form at all tonight

• Advertisement

Lean, light, muscular and preferably tall for the walls and ramp are the winning body builds for the best competitors. The more you have in a family the better.

It suits athletes. Big powerful men, like the Davorens, who were in it for 3 years don't win. Too much bulk and muscle for hanging tough, climbing the rank etc.

Water John wrote: »
    Not the five forwards but stamina and repeated leg drive is the major training in rugby.

I was a number 7 and lighter fellas could skim over the bog when I was doing a team building event. The bigger men, even backs, sank too deep.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Kuczklinski's didn't look to be on form at all tonight

I think the parents let them down.

Poor tysie he was wrecked and has to go again. In a way youd be better off to loose by an hour than loose by a second.

Oooooooof one second behind puts Allens in Eliminator.

Lol the girl cracking a joke and then the next clip derbhal "the time for joking is over"

The Allen chap got a wedgie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Lol bet that clip will be going around his mates WhatsApp for a long time!

I think Ruth did the splits getting off the last wall her leg got stuck up there.

• Advertisement

I'd like to see the girl from the Allen's replace anna as a coach next year! Shes a good talker and can back it up!

Advertisement