Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I have a vehicle. Me legs!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

a148pro wrote: »
    You should get the antigen tests for the house if ye can

Antigen and Antibody are 2 different tests. Antibody is the one you want to see if you had it in the past and you need to do a blood test for that one (Antigen tests if you have it now).

Chances are for me that the last antibodies were gone before private antibody tests became available here so I didn't bother wasting my money. I was also a very close contact a few months back and 2 tests later still Neg which also makes me think I had it in Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

maddness wrote: »
    True but by autumn we will all be flying again as the majority will be vaccinated so it’s not just hope.

I think the issue will be how well the vaccines are holding up compared to the variants which are doing the rounds at that time. It probably goes without saying that by the end of this year there will be new currently unknown variants in the mix, which the current vaccines may not stop one transmitting.

I may be a cynic but I would have serious worries even about the 2021/2022 season.

Seems Tyrol is very likely going to be locked down completely because of an outbreak of the SA variant.

https://www.orf.at/#/stories/3200163/

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I missed out on a four day trip to Zell Am Zee in early March as I had been sick for about six weeks leading up to this and wasn’t well enough to travel. I may have had Covid but probably not.
    My friends all went and got back just in time really.
    Had I have been feeling up to it it would have gone too.
    Right now I’d kill for a good few days on the snow as it’s my favourite think to do and every time I come home I’m thinking of my next trip. It’s as good for the head as anything else.
    I’ll be skiing in December this year even if I have to drive over I’m going.

I said this last year too. I mean, when our 14th March trip was cancelled, I was thinking we would get out in Dec 2020. :)

But this year, I'm feeling more hopeful because of the vaccines (barring strains being resistant, would be a disaster.

Where would you be thinking of going in December?

We've looked at France and booking flights to GVA but the French are seeming like they will have a poor rollout - perhaps Switzerland / Austria might be better bets. And I say bets, since nothing is certain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I said this last year too. I mean, when our 14th March trip was cancelled, I was thinking we would get out in Dec 2020. :)

But this year, I'm feeling more hopeful because of the vaccines (barring strains being resistant, would be a disaster.

Where would you be thinking of going in December?

We've looked at France and booking flights to GVA but the French are seeming like they will have a poor rollout - perhaps Switzerland / Austria might be better bets. And I say bets, since nothing is certain :)

December 2020 was the first December in over ten years that we didn’t get to ski unfortunately.
    Your best bet it flights to Geneva and wait till very close to the time to book anywhere. Bergamo is another good bet for skiing in Italy which we have also done a couple of times in December.
    I think the demand for skiing in December 2021 is going to be far higher than usual as it might just be the first time to ski for two years and the first bit of freedom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd be surprised if skiing to some degree is not possible next season. Hopefully most of Europe will be vaccinated, hospital capacity will be increased, we've surely gotten better at treating people with it, the social distancing must be doing something. And we need an economy and we need recreation.

We might not have crowded restaurants or apres ski, they might restrict use of ski lockers, lift queues might be more orderly. You might need a negative covid test. It will be different, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get away for a ski holiday in early 2022, maybe late 21. The only thing that could really stop you is if you have to self quarantine over there and when you come home. That could be too much for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

The thought of missing out on a second year is really depressing. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I really love my ski holiday, not just on the slopes, but the whole thing.

I don't think Europe will tolerate restrictions for that long

I don't think Europe will tolerate restrictions for that long

Let’s hope so

• Advertisement

Looks like there will be a €5,000 fine for holiday trips shortly

Rew wrote: »

These two posts are the equivalent of double zero on the roulette wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rew wrote: »

I thought they were talking about €2k,up from the current €500.

I thought they were talking about €2k,up from the current €500.

5k was proposed then they rolled back to 2k it seems

I love the constant leaking in the media of various proposals and discussions. All combined with zero, literally, zero analysis of the provisions or criticism of the government or the policy.

It's quite worrying. I mean I know the virus is dangerous and we need to supress it. But we're now living in actual police state, with no discussion of this whatsoever. Its frankly astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think once there is widespread vaccination then people will be a lot less forgiving of restrictions. At the moment I think we are putting up with it grudgingly as the feeling is there is no other way, but it will be much harder to justify restrictions once vaccination has reached decent numbers.

Austria promoted to Ireland's quarantine list.

South African variant a real fear, it's out of control in Tirol. Poor Tirol just cannot get a break, Ischgl last year, now this ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

December 2020 was the first December in over ten years that we didn’t get to ski unfortunately.
    Your best bet it flights to Geneva and wait till very close to the time to book anywhere. Bergamo is another good bet for skiing in Italy which we have also done a couple of times in December.
    I think the demand for skiing in December 2021 is going to be far higher than usual as it might just be the first time to ski for two years and the first bit of freedom too.

I'm off topic Madness but if the thread will bear with me where do you usually ski in December and how is it? I did a good bit pre Christmas this year (Suisse) and snow was not great tbh.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm off topic Madness but if the thread will bear with me where do you usually ski in december.

Dude - we ain't going nowhere. Plus this entire thread is about when we might ever, possibly ski again

Basically it all depends on where the snow is good, sometimes there's a good start to the season in some areas. On the other hand, a lot of resorts won't even bother opening till close to Christmas as there's no market there, but that might be different this year if they are allowed open and if there's a pent up demand.

I'd look at solden in austria, it has the first professional Ski race of the year as far as I remember, has glaciers which keep the snow in good knickers early and late in the season. And the resort opens, I think, in november. Also cervinia, val thorens, tignes, zermatt, verbier tend to open earlier than others

But should say you experience this year shouldn't determine things for you - it doesn't mean, for instance, that the snow is always cat in Dec in Switzerland

• Advertisement

I've said it before and i'll say it again. I. Will. Ski. This. Year.

By which I mean this season.

I'm not sure how, and it may just be in Scotland, it may just be in fecking Ireland, but i'll do it. On principle. Not giving in to this.

Delighted to say I managed to achieve this goal this week. Small bit of effort on done deal / adverts and you easily put together a viable Irish set up.

Lasted about, say 3 - 4 minutes in total, not sure it involved any turns as opposed to just gliding along. But I can tell you this - it felt like skiing! And it was exhilarating to rebuff the media / government fear mongering hysteria for those few minutes!

Hopefully weather gods will bring further opportunities

Dude - we ain't going nowhere. Plus this entire thread is about when we might ever, possibly ski again

Basically it all depends on where the snow is good, sometimes there's a good start to the season in some areas. On the other hand, a lot of resorts won't even bother opening till close to Christmas as there's no market there, but that might be different this year if they are allowed open and if there's a pent up demand.

I'd look at solden in austria, it has the first professional Ski race of the year as far as I remember, has glaciers which keep the snow in good knickers early and late in the season. And the resort opens, I think, in november. Also cervinia, val thorens, tignes, zermatt, verbier tend to open earlier than others

But should say you experience this year shouldn't determine things for you - it doesn't mean, for instance, that the snow is always cat in Dec in Switzerland

Yeah. Agree with everything. Just Madness has done it for ten years so would be grateful to hear their view.

I've never been before Chrimbo. Have often looked but never pulled the trigger. I'd say if the game is back on it'll be rammed this December!

I've never been before Chrimbo. Have often looked but never pulled the trigger. I'd say if the game is back on it'll be rammed this December!

Oh yes. All season probably.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I'm off topic Madness but if the thread will bear with me where do you usually ski in December and how is it? I did a good bit pre Christmas this year (Suisse) and snow was not great tbh.

I’ve probably gone skiing in December about 12 time now and have always managed to ski. One particular bad year we ended up in Cervinia as there really was nothing else open anywhere within reasonable distance of Geneva.
    We mostly go from Geneva to either 3 Valleys or Tignes/Val d but have also skied in the Monterosa in Italy a few times flying into Milan. I also skied in Alpe d’Huez in December twice and got great snow.
    I’ve a flight booked for this December and assuming we can go I’ll be looking at the webcams and forecasts for a few weeks before we go and make a decision the week before about where to go. Most years you get empty slopes and great conditions. I’ve only skied into Zermatt so have no idea about Swiss skiing and have skied Austria but never in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

We have enjoyed good ski conditions pretty much every December (except 2020) in the Schnalstal glacier in South Tyrol since 2008. During that time we've done Zermatt a few times too as the SIL lives locally. I know that South Tyrol isn't very accessible for most Irish travelers though and in general doesn't hold any sort of travel kudos. The glacier is very popular with national teams in the autumn/early winter for the snow quality. Partial reopening there isn't slated until the 1st March depending on the infection rates. Would have liked to have thought that we would get at least a week this season but I don't think it's to be, our flights are booked for Easter but that will be a non-runner now.

I’ve probably gone skiing in December about 12 time now and have always managed to ski. One particular bad year we ended up in Cervinia as there really was nothing else open anywhere within reasonable distance of Geneva.
    We mostly go from Geneva to either 3 Valleys or Tignes/Val d but have also skied in the Monterosa in Italy a few times flying into Milan. I also skied in Alpe d’Huez in December twice and got great snow.
    I’ve a flight booked for this December and assuming we can go I’ll be looking at the webcams and forecasts for a few weeks before we go and make a decision the week before about where to go. Most years you get empty slopes and great conditions. I’ve only skied into Zermatt so have no idea about Swiss skiing and have skied Austria but never in December.

Was looking at Geneva flights and 3 Valleys or Tignes myself for December. Have never gone in December before, and may be going solo this year.

Sounds like you've great experience picking a resort a few weeks out - would you usually rent a car or organise a transfer, or public transport?

Delighted to say I managed to achieve this goal this week. Small bit of effort on done deal / adverts and you easily put together a viable Irish set up.

Lasted about, say 3 - 4 minutes in total, not sure it involved any turns as opposed to just gliding along. But I can tell you this - it felt like skiing! And it was exhilarating to rebuff the media / government fear mongering hysteria for those few minutes!

Hopefully weather gods will bring further opportunities

Really really loved the laugh at the end! Fair play!

Was looking at Geneva flights and 3 Valleys or Tignes myself for December. Have never gone in December before, and may be going solo this year.

Sounds like you've great experience picking a resort a few weeks out - would you usually rent a car or organise a transfer, or public transport?

Depends on how many of there are on the trip. With four or less we hire a car but when more of us go we get a transfer as it’s just less hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I used to travel solo to Tignes with Altibus

https://www.altibus.com/en/

They go directly from Geneva airport to numerous French resorts. It was around €110 return when I last went (2015). Good thing about them is they go 7 days a week so you're not confined to going Saturday - Saturday. The slopes in Tignes/Val d'Isere were literally empty on Saturdays as the vast majority of people would be transferring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement