Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone tried the takeaway pizzas that are in the weekend offer before I wonder are they nice? And was wondering if anyone had any lidl crisp recomendations? I really like the aldi spuddy crisps.

Never found any crisps in Lidl that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

rubadub wrote: »
    I wish more stuff came in jars that can be repurposed as glasses. I think aldi or lidl had some recently.

61JU2uY2qCL._AC_SX569_.jpg

I grew up with "Senfkristall" (Mustard Crystal). Have very fond memories of mini beer mugs and printed glasses. I remember having some Olympics themed ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I grew up with "Senfkristall" (Mustard Crystal). Have very fond memories of mini beer mugs and printed glasses. I remember having some Olympics themed ones.

These are to be found in all the Polski Sklep shops, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Warning! Seriously though I tried the American range pickled hot dog. It was unbelievably bad. The bread went all soggy and fell apart and was too hot to hold. The meat inside was brutal. Absolutely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Warning! Seriously though I tried the American range pickled hot dog. It was unbelievably bad. The bread went all soggy and fell apart and was too hot to hold. The meat inside was brutal. Absolutely vile.
    I would never follow the microwave instructions on stuff like this with rolls. Always take the bread out and microwave the meat item on 50% power or less, toast the bread item or else put it in the microwave just in the last 10-15 seconds.

I used to cringe watching a guy in work absolutely destroy rustler type burgers in the microwave.

• Advertisement

I would never follow the microwave instructions on stuff like this with rolls. Always take the bread out and microwave the meat item on 50% power or less, toast the bread item or else put it in the microwave just in the last 10-15 seconds.

I used to cringe watching a guy in work absolutely destroy rustler type burgers in the microwave.

You can't do that because there's sauce already in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can't do that because there's sauce already in it
    I am not sure what it was like but I would have rolled the hotdog to get the sauce onto the bun as much as I could. If it cannot be toasted I would still want to separate them and just warm it for a few second. Microwaves destroy bread, the bread would be even worse if sauce was on it from the start. and the cooking times listed on stuff is often way too long.

I am not sure what it was like but I would have rolled the hotdog to get the sauce onto the bun as much as I could. If it cannot be toasted I would still want to separate them and just warm it for a few second. Microwaves destroy bread, the bread would be even worse if sauce was on it from the start. and the cooking times listed on stuff is often way too long.

I know how to cook and also how to microwave. The whole point of my post is that it's not tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wexford 96

Them sauces were delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I just tried vegan peanut and hazelnut ice cream from the recent "Free from" range, totally bland and very icy, absolutely no melt or creamy mouthfeel to it. Will bin it, not worth the calories.

Also had that hoisin duckling and pancake thing from the app, meh. Dunnes do a nicer duck and pancakes.

Now I'm a tad annoyed at buying disappointing food and should probably post in the TA thread on After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wexford 96 wrote: »
    Them sauces were delicious

Which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cheap hotdogs from any shop are deeply suspect.... in my opinion.
    Constituted from "snouts and ar**holes" as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Cheap hotdogs from any shop are deeply suspect.... in my opinion.
    Constituted from "snouts and ar**holes" as the saying goes.
    Its all just mechanically recovered meat jelly below a certain price point, they dont let a mg of meat go to waste nowadays.

I cant eat anything from Aldi or Lidl or anywhere else these days that isnt a straight steak or joint of meat, its all starting to taste like dogfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thargor wrote: »
    Its all just mechanically recovered meat jelly below a certain price point, they dont let a mg of meat go to waste nowadays.

I cant eat anything from Aldi or Lidl or anywhere else these days that isnt a straight steak or joint of meat, its all starting to taste like dogfood.

I see a veggie in the making.....:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I don't know if it's just my Lidl but last night there was a big stack of Haagen Dazs ice cream to be got for 2.99 a tub. Snagged a strawberry cheesecake and a pralines and cream.

I see a veggie in the making.....:D
    Tbh the last few bolognaises and curries Ive made Ive been thinking I could just skip the meat and still enjoy them as much, if I did that 50% of my meat intake would be gone, its definitely something Im thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Tbh the last few bolognaises and curries Ive made Ive been thinking I could just skip the meat and still enjoy them as much, if I did that 50% of my meat intake would be gone, its definitely something Im thinking about.

The last couple of times I made cottage pie or lasagne I substituted in red lentils and kidney beans. Once the passata is really good I find all the meat really contributes to the dish overall is just texture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm definitely not considering a conversion to vegetarianism, but I've gotten vegetable curries in the Indian a few times, rather than lamb as I'd normally get, and haven't missed the meat that much. It's mostly because I'm there for the rice and naan though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Going vegetarian is easier if you are not looking to "reproduce" meat based dishes with vegetables.

Once you buy a bunch of basic Indian spices (turmeric, chilli power, garam masala, ground cumin, coriander etc - always from ethnic stores, way cheaper - and also those 5/10kg bags of rice), you can make dozens of delicious Indian vegetarian dishes following free recipes online. Spices last a long time - like months - especially since you only need a pinch or two for most dishes. Totally worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't know why I can't post pictures here :( I posted about lidl cream cheese a while ago, there's red pepper and garlic. Just tried the garlic and it is out of this world :) The brand is milbona, they come in circular pots.

Just enjoying some toasted brown bread with a layer of the garlic one :D

Tried the garlic and herb one, tastes like a bad and watery tzatsiki. It's back to proper Boursin for me, the Lidl stuff doesn't hold a candle to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Space Dog wrote: »
    Tried the garlic and herb one, tastes like a bad and watery tzatsiki. It's back to proper Boursin for me, the Lidl stuff doesn't hold a candle to that.

I wasn't thinking of it in terms of an alternative to Boursin in fairness :) The one I got definitely wasn't watery either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’ve just been on lidl website and noticed a water jet flosser has come in.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/personal-care/water-jet-flosser/p7032

I was looking st getting this a while ago on spotlight website but there’s was nearly 80 or 90 euro.

Anyway just wondering has anyone used one of this water jet flossers? Are they worth getting or better to just keep using flossing sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SourSessions

fin12 wrote:
    Anyway just wondering has anyone used one of this water jet flossers? Are they worth getting or better to just keep using flossing sticks.

I find mine great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

fin12 wrote: »
    I’ve just been on lidl website and noticed a water jet flosser has come in.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/personal-care/water-jet-flosser/p7032

I was looking st getting this a while ago on spotlight website but there’s was nearly 80 or 90 euro.

I wouldn't recommend this one from Lidl on the basis that the Water reservoir is 130ml

From reading reviews on Amazon, 300ml or 600mly standing options are much better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really like puy lentils in place of minced beef in dishes like shepherd's pie or bolognese.

They can be a bit hard to find, but Holland & Barrett sell French lentils that seem to be identical to puy. I have definitely not seen them in lidl, only the red ones.

You could also mix puy lentils and beef mince as a way of cutting back on meat intake in these types of dishes. They pair very well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Way to Go chocolate is delicious! Especially the dark choc with pecan and coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Talguetler wrote: »
    The Way to Go chocolate is delicious! Especially the dark choc with pecan and coconut.

I wish it was darker though - it's only like 55% from memory? It should be 70 at least! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

Fantastic stuff
    PHOTO-20210213-222417.jpg

Comerman wrote: »
    Fantastic stuff
    PHOTO-20210213-222417.jpg
    The coconut one is incredibly good chocolate, Cadburys and the rest not even close to Aldi and Lidl anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I haven't been in my local Lidl in a long time, I was there on Friday, it's so nice!
    All glass door fridges really nice.

Anyway, the puff pastry was only .99 it's 1.29 in Aldi and Tesco own brand.
    Has anyone used it, is it good?

Advertisement