Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Did you really have to post this??

Picked up a couple of bags today, and one is already nearly history (and I feel slightly ill) :(

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

fin12 wrote: »
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/product-recommendation/coconut-wafers/p60211

These are coming into store on Thursday, part of the Asian range. Anyone try these before?

I've only had the lemon wafers from that brand. Not as good as Manner wafers, but nice enough. Will get the coconut ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Space Dog

leahyl wrote: »
    Has anybody ever bought the large jar of gherkins from Lidl? We bought one a few years ago now and could not get the lid open for love nor money. Anyway, went shopping yesterday and saw a big jar in the American range, so said I’d try it, as it was different to the brand we got before and figured the same thing couldn’t happen again...wrong! We just cannot open it...it’s ridiculous! Anybody any tips? :-D We’re gonna have to return it if not.

You could always get one of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Space Dog wrote: »
    You could always get one of these :)

I got one of those for my mum who has very bad wrists. She finds it great!

I have a strap wrench myself for those stubborn jars!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg thanks so much for all the suggestions! I haven't gone back to it since...it's still sitting on the worktop, but will try them out soon and let you all know :D

UPDATE! just tapped the lid on the counter as someone suggested and bobs your uncle! Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just prick a hole in the lid with the point of a carving knife.
    With the vacuum gone it'll unscrew.

I did that once!

0-C7-CDDCA-FB46-447-A-A211-BCC7-F81-B2188.jpg

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Used to always have to do that with the jars of red pickled cabbage they had. I just stabbed a screwdriver at it.:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I picked up one of their "Chef Select" microwave carvery meals in the fresh foods fridge - bacon, cabbage, mashed carrot and parsnip, mashed potato and parsley sauce. I wanted it for work where we have a fridge, microwave and kettle and not much else. To my surprise it was delicious, fresh and filling! The bacon and sauce were salty but I like that. I will definitely buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I picked up one of their "Chef Select" microwave carvery meals in the fresh foods fridge - bacon, cabbage, mashed carrot and parsnip, mashed potato and parsley sauce. I wanted it for work where we have a fridge, microwave and kettle and not much else. To my surprise it was delicious, fresh and filling! The bacon and sauce were salty but I like that. I will definitely buy again.

Do they still have the Turkey & Ham one? That was my microwave standby - when still in the office.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do they still have the Turkey & Ham one? That was my microwave standby - when still in the office.

I don't know - when I was in my local on Sunday they had bacon and roast beef as options but I didn't see turkey and ham. I would try them all now, would get me out of a hole for lunch one or two days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Omg thanks so much for all the suggestions! I haven't gone back to it since...it's still sitting on the worktop, but will try them out soon and let you all know :D

UPDATE! just tapped the lid on the counter as someone suggested and bobs your uncle! Thanks guys!

It's a sign of the times that I'm disproportionately happy you got the jar open :)

On to recommendations, the Lentil Curls are lovely, I only get the Sour Cream and chive ones, the Aldi equivalent are a bit more eastern influenced, maybe more cumin or something? They have sweet chilli too but I didn't think they were great.

The chilled pizza with mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes is lovely also, I treated myself to one the other night, and with some chilli flakes added on at the end, it makes a lovely treat.

Cooking times might be a little long depending on your fridge temp and oven, I definitely gave it a few minutes less than the 10-12 on pack, as the fridge had been filled and was cooling back down. Base is sourdough and much nicer than any of the frozen pizzas imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

1007180_PI_V01.jpg

I use the bottle opener part of this can opener to lift the lid of a jar a bit and break the vacuum.
    Still have to meet the first jar that i cant open like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I picked up the Ballyhoura 100% pure apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to be good for different ailments, so I had a few spoons this morning. It's 4 euro roughly and is cloudy looking. It can also be used in cooking, particularly nice for red cabbage.

I picked up the Ballyhoura 100% pure apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to be good for different ailments, so I had a few spoons this morning. It's 4 euro roughly and is cloudy looking. It can also be used in cooking, particularly nice for red cabbage.

my only caveat with apple cider vinegars, is "dilute!"
    I was told to have it in a glass of water, and rinse afterwards, as it's horrible for our enamel :( truly bad!

Glad to know it's in there thanks, I hadn't seen it before. I usually get the ones in H&B but Lidl will be handy.. plus it's Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

lucalux wrote: »
    my only caveat with apple cider vinegars, is "dilute!"
    I was told to have it in a glass of water, and rinse afterwards, as it's horrible for our enamel :( truly bad!

Glad to know it's in there thanks, I hadn't seen it before. I usually get the ones in H&B but Lidl will be handy.. plus it's Irish :)

They have a Batts one as well but I wanted to get the Irish pure one. I forgot all about my teeth! I will remember that now for the future, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Has anybody ever bought the large jar of gherkins from Lidl? We bought one a few years ago now and could not get the lid open for love nor money. Anyway, went shopping yesterday and saw a big jar in the American range, so said I’d try it, as it was different to the brand we got before and figured the same thing couldn’t happen again...wrong! We just cannot open it...it’s ridiculous! Anybody any tips? :-D We’re gonna have to return it if not.

I had a jar of these and for the life of me couldnt open it, was about to order a fancy gizmo from amazon to open cans then found this "Spoon hack" oh its a gift so simple and works with all those welded on jars.

They have a Batts one as well but I wanted to get the Irish pure one. I forgot all about my teeth! I will remember that now for the future, thanks!

Yeah I remember the Batt's one there alright, looking less cloudy, and so I assumed probably filtered?

Nae bother at all :) I started taking it years ago, and used to knock back a little shot of it neat, with the result that my dentist was not happy with me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's just acetic acid, why people would think that good for them is baffling, seems to be that if it tastes foul enough it must be good :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

It's just acetic acid, why people would think that good for them is baffling, seems to be that if it tastes foul enough it must be good :rolleyes:

Studies in adults with diabetes have shown it improves blood sugar stability when eating a high carb meal. Other studies in rats have found it improves blood pressure. It relieves heartburn. It's also useful for household cleaning and as a natural leave-in conditioner, when diluted and sprayed on. Not sure what your problem with it is. Nobody's saying it cures cancer.

On topic...I tried the Chef Select chip shop style curry and rice ready meal.

The rice and sauce were nice enough and the chicken is real chicken breast. However there were only four very small pieces of chicken, not even half a breast, and the rest was sauce and peas. Would not repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Spoon hack" oh its a gift so simple and works with all those welded on jars.
    Thats the one I use. Hitting the jar on a counter has a risk of breaking the glass or damaging the lid.

If you puncture a lid you need a new lid, you will have exposed the inner metal which will usually rust. I usually have lots of spare jars about though.

I wish more stuff came in jars that can be repurposed as glasses. I think aldi or lidl had some recently.

61JU2uY2qCL._AC_SX569_.jpg

d7e7e1896e64c3b96c94bb659fca3bbf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Its not the 'done' thing but i got sick of pint glasses and large tumblers being broken in our house, so i started using large sauce jars as glasses. They are big enough to hold approx 500mm, if they break its no big deal to replace them, and they are by design made to avoid spilling.

Its a life hack ill keep using until my kids grow up and move out and i can have nice things again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Baggly wrote: »
    Its not the 'done' thing but i got sick of pint glasses and large tumblers being broken in our house, so i started using large sauce jars as glasses. They are big enough to hold approx 500mm, if they break its no big deal to replace them, and they are by design made to avoid spilling.

Its a life hack ill keep using until my kids grow up and move out and i can have nice things again.

I regret to inform you that this makes you a total hipster :D. Drinks in glass jars was all the rage in hipster bars for a few years. I don’t know if the fad has passed or if it has just been so long since I’ve been in a pub that I’m starting to forget what they’re like.

Faith wrote: »
    I regret to inform you that this makes you a total hipster :D. Drinks in glass jars was all the rage in hipster bars for a few years. I don’t know if the fad has passed or if it has just been so long since I’ve been in a pub that I’m starting to forget what they’re like.

I think i get out on a technicality since i didnt know thats what was being done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I've been using mayonnaise jars as cocktail glasses/iced coffee glasses for the last two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I used to love the Nutella jar/glasses when I was a child.... Do they still do them?

Iirc there used to have limited edition character ones like Snoopy and The Simpsons.... Ah the 90's simpler times when you'd get excited over going finishing a pot of Nutella so you could use it as a glass! :D

Edit to add a potential recommendation:
    I haven't been to Lidl in a while but stopped there last night as the selection of dark chocolate in Aldi is dire atm

I stocked up on the single origin 60% and 70%, two of my personal favourites and I also purchased two of these

Granted, I haven't tried them yet - they're a hefty size (I think 180g!); hopefully they're nice.... anyone else try them yet?

I bought the plain dark, and the pecan and coconut variation (also dark chocolate).

waytogobarsinline.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We had the milk chocolate one a while back and thought it was really nice. Very chunky afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Well if there's one thing to be thankful for in this whole covid mess is we no longer have to see hipsters drinking from jam jars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Anyone tried the takeaway pizzas that are in the weekend offer before I wonder are they nice? And was wondering if anyone had any lidl crisp recomendations? I really like the aldi spuddy crisps.

• Advertisement

Anyone tried the takeaway pizzas that are in the weekend offer before I wonder are they nice? And was wondering if anyone had any lidl crisp recomendations? I really like the aldi spuddy crisps.

I dont think those takeaway pizzas are great. The dough goes from undercooked to burnt far too quickly, and the crust is too doughy so you can have burnt cheese and an uncooked crust.

Advertisement