Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shenshen wrote: »
    The Crafty Brewing Company Pale Ale, the one with the purple sticker. Seriously nice, and very, very similar to The Fransiscan Well's Chieftain IPA.

On this topic, the McGargles Rosies pale ale (also purple label) is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

The Vemondo Gluten Free chocolate biscuits are delicious for any coeliacs out there. Not dairy free though if you have an intolerance. They are in the specials section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Lidl deluxe frozen halloumi fries are delicious.

I recommended them to my sister and she was skeptical but tried them and then went back and bought 3 bags.

Streets ahead of Aldi’s which were dry and shrivelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lidl are doing net bags of blood orangesv at the minute, roughly a dozen in them give or take, €2.99.

IMG-20210126-184936.jpg

They're delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I don't normally buy soup but grabbed two Deluxe ones the other day as I didn't get to batch cook anything for lunches at the weekend. I had the Sri Lankan chicken and Mexican bean and they were both very tasty. A squazz of lime really makes the bean one sing.

Neither were particularly horrendous nutritionally either. Handy for an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was wrong with them?

sorry didnt see this at the time. As another poster said the pork inside the escalope is reconstituted and it was really fatty. Packet instructions said to cook 18 mins so I put it into the airfryer for 13 thinking that would do it nice and crisp.

But it didnt and I had to go the full 18 minutes because the fat was creating so much moisture that the breadcrumbs on the schnitzel would not crisp up, it was soggy and greasy even after 18 minutes. And then I tasted it and it was absolute rank, I dont know how they can even call it pork. Was annoyed as I love chicken and pork schntzels and was looking forward to trying it but it turned out to be rotten stuff, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

awec wrote: »
    On this topic, the McGargles Rosies pale ale (also purple label) is excellent too.

Rye River brew McGargles, Crafty (Lidl) and Grafters (Dunnes) (and a Tesco one as well I can't remember the name of, I rarely shop there)

The Crafty boxes at Christmas were seriously good, even in the beer styles like red ale I don't usually like

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bought one of those microwave steamers for €2.50.

The big proper steamers are too big for my kitchen, so it will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I don't know why I can't post pictures here :( I posted about lidl cream cheese a while ago, there's red pepper and garlic. Just tried the garlic and it is out of this world :) The brand is milbona, they come in circular pots.

Just enjoying some toasted brown bread with a layer of the garlic one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Do Lidl do sushi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Recliner wrote:
    Do Lidl do sushi?

Don't think it's their own brand. Some of the bigger ones have that Oishi Sushi brand that is also in tesco / sv iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The roasted and salted almonds are back. They are delicious, part of the American foos range. They are expensive at over €3 but they only come in once or twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

Baggly wrote: »
    Don't think it's their own brand. Some of the bigger ones have that Oishi Sushi brand that is also in tesco / sv iirc.

None in Lidl, but got some in Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fin12 wrote: »
    The roasted and salted almonds are back. They are delicious, part of the American foos range. They are expensive at over €3 but they only come in once or twice a year.

Ate they the loose ones or in the tins?

If the tins, I'm going to clean my local branch out of them!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

No sorry in a packet.part of the mcEnnedy range. American section.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I love those tins too and both Aldi and Lidl have had them over the years.

Haven't seen them in over a year, now, though. Wasabi roasted almonds ftw!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fin12 wrote: »

Did you really have to post this??

Picked up a couple of bags today, and one is already nearly history (and I feel slightly ill) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Has anybody ever bought the large jar of gherkins from Lidl? We bought one a few years ago now and could not get the lid open for love nor money. Anyway, went shopping yesterday and saw a big jar in the American range, so said I’d try it, as it was different to the brand we got before and figured the same thing couldn’t happen again...wrong! We just cannot open it...it’s ridiculous! Anybody any tips? :-D We’re gonna have to return it if not.

leahyl wrote: »
    Has anybody ever bought the large jar of gherkins from Lidl? We bought one a few years ago now and could not get the lid open for love nor money. Anyway, went shopping yesterday and saw a big jar in the American range, so said I’d try it, as it was different to the brand we got before and figured the same thing couldn’t happen again...wrong! We just cannot open it...it’s ridiculous! Anybody any tips? :-D We’re gonna have to return it if not.

Have you tried puncturing a hole in the lid? It may be air pressure causing it to be too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Stab a hole in the lid to release the pressure. Should open very easy then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lefty loosey, Righty tighty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

I tap the lid reasonably hard, against a countertop or something solid.

Nice and firmly just on the edge of the lid. Usually opens after that.
    I know if I tried to stab a jam jar lid, I'd be in A&E later:)

Those pickles are grand from what I remember, maybe a tad too sweet if i'm remembering the sliced ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

https://www.foodnetwork.ca/kitchen-basics/blog/6-simple-ways-to-open-a-stubborn-stuck-jar-lid/ The hot water does work, others do as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭lucalux

con747 wrote: »

Great list there, I forgot about putting on rubber gloves to open jars, that has worked well for me too

Get a sheet of sandpaper and place over the lid while trying to open it.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/product-recommendation/coconut-wafers/p60211

These are coming into store on Thursday, part of the Asian range. Anyone try these before?

Also a heads up the Essense en rose perfume is coming back into store on Thursday aswell. Exactly like Lancôme la vie en Belle.

Come on Leahyl, we're all waiting for an update on these elusive pickles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

lucalux wrote: »
    I tap the lid reasonably hard, against a countertop or something solid.

Nice and firmly just on the edge of the lid. Usually opens after that.
    I know if I tried to stab a jam jar lid, I'd be in A&E later:)

Those pickles are grand from what I remember, maybe a tad too sweet if i'm remembering the sliced ones?

This is the way. A few semi confident taps against a hard surface on a couple of places on the side of the lid seems to break the seal and let you open with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just prick a hole in the lid with the point of a carving knife.
    With the vacuum gone it'll unscrew.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just prick a hole in the lid with the point of a carving knife.
    With the vacuum gone it'll unscrew.

A corkscrew might be a safer option. Lids can be terribly slippy.

Advertisement