Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

What do they look like? I like their brownies and toffee yum yums but the latter are very sugary, one is enough.

They are circular, with a cinnamon spiral, and quick thick and bready. They look like a chelsea bun without the cherry. They have a white icing on them and a sprinkle of cinnamon. In my Lidl they come from the fresh bakery and are usually packaged in twos in a clear plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

They are circular, with a cinnamon spiral, and quick thick and bready. They look like a chelsea bun without the cherry. They have a white icing on them and a sprinkle of cinnamon. In my Lidl they come from the fresh bakery and are usually packaged in twos in a clear plastic bag.

Thanks, I'll look out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Toulouse wrote: »
    Thanks but I actually don’t like the single origin and as you said no 85% which would be my go to.

I like the JD 85%, too.
    What I love about the single origin 70% is the texture - it has the texture of milk chocolate with the taste of 70% chocolate:D

The Green & Blacks 85% is very nice these days - and pretty cheap.
    Their 70% is horrible, though, and to my taste, tastes stronger than the 85%!
    Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I like the JD 85%, too.
    What I love about the single origin 70% is the texture - it has the texture of milk chocolate with the taste of 70% chocolate:D

The Green & Blacks 85% is very nice these days - and pretty cheap.
    Their 70% is horrible, though, and to my taste, tastes stronger than the 85%!
    Very strange.

At the risk of adding in another percentage, 100% agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Hi guys, I was in Lidl yesterday and I picked up a net of their XXL oranges, €2.79 for a very big bag - I'm sorry I don't know the weight but there were about 16 large oranges in it. They are amazing. You know the kind that are really easy to peel, and super juicy and tasty. I usually juice, but I couldn't justify juicing these as they are amazing on their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Antares35 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was in Lidl yesterday and I picked up a net of their XXL oranges, €2.79 for a very big bag - I'm sorry I don't know the weight but there were about 16 large oranges in it. They are amazing. You know the kind that are really easy to peel, and super juicy and tasty. I usually juice, but I couldn't justify juicing these as they are amazing on their own :)

I'm always wary of buying "oranges" for fear of them being hard to peel and bitter and full of pips.

Nice to know this isn't the case, so will be looking out for them!

OT but Aldi's satsumas are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is a lovely frozen strudel they do with berries and custard. It a long thing you can break in 2, dirt cheap. I haven't seen it in ages, anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I miss the roasted almonds they used to sell by weight.

Anyone try the new shelled pistachios in bags?

The roasted bagged hazelnuts are really nice. I use them on pasta or salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Antares35 wrote: »

There was someone ahead of me at the checkout in Lidl last week buying these and the checkout girl was telling them that they were gorgeous - I will be picking some up this weekend if they are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone spot an omelette maker ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone spot an omelette maker ?

I did.
    Wasnt looking for them.

Might have been Aldi btw. Went to both this morning. Definitely saw them in one or the other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

As I was saying in the dinner thread, the frozen goosefat potatoes are lovely. They take about 45 minutes to get nice and crispy from frozen but they require no prep.

Not as good as proper home made roasties but a very worthy substitute. Hopefully they won't be discontinued until next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A non recommendation here. Culinea frozen Pork Escalopes/Schnitzels, 2.99 iirc.

Awful crap, went into the bin after the third bite. Dinner ruined, have some chicken wings in the airfryer now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Recommend their instant coffee which is a copy of the Nescafe azera, and also their whipped cream cheese..I've tried the red pepper one and it's amazing - nice kick off it while still being creamy. Haven't tried the garlic one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AhhHere

Their premium chowder is very nice. Would recommend heating in a pot rather than microwave for less fish smell in the kitchen.

Tried the beef dripping chips and wouldn't get again. Zero additional flavour to them but a beefy smell. Weird. Nice chips are the criss cross/waffle fries - great in the air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A non recommendation here. Culinea frozen Pork Escalopes/Schnitzels, 2.99 iirc.

Awful crap, went into the bin after the third bite. Dinner ruined, have some chicken wings in the airfryer now instead.

What was wrong with them?

What was wrong with them?

They are salty and taste reconstituted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The Crafty Brewing Company Pale Ale, the one with the purple sticker. Seriously nice, and very, very similar to The Fransiscan Well's Chieftain IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Bolognese Pasta Sauce - €1.69

A step up from Dolmio.
    Aldi have a similar one - both produced in Ireland, probably by the same company.

Usually make a spaghetti bolognese with Aldis spaghetti (€0.45) which is very thin like vermicelli, so cooks very fast, a quick meal in 12 mins.

THyeaKp.jpg

Basmati Rice Microwave Pouch - €0.59

Much better than the Aldi one.

Could be better though - a bit clumpy.

fxXiU1k.jpg

• Advertisement

NOT RECOMENDED

Deluxe Beef Wellington from frozen section.
    Paid €8.99 for this a while ago - not worth the money at all.
    Both the pastry and the beef were terrible.

Much better value is the Beef bourguigon Pie @ 2.49 (frozen), which is very nice

Both of these are special items

NOT RECOMENDED
    Onion and goat's cheese tartlets.
    Junk - base was terrible, threw one in the bin.

WYRbVbE.jpg

Bread from the Lidl bakery is great, esp if you buy when fresh in the morning.

Cheddar Cheese Rolls - €1.50 for 4
    I just add a slice of cheese or some butter.

Seeded baguette - €1.50 for 4.

Red Berry Scone - 3 x €0.39 = €1.17
    Much better value than the Dunnes scones(€1 each / 4 for €3).
    I put them in the microwave for a few secs if I'm eating them the next day.

This level of review is the way forward. A1 eqwjewoiujqorj

Lidl Deluxe Potato Gratins with Emmental Cheese - €2.49

From the frozen section.
    It's on special fairly often so not always in stock.

Very nice, recommended.
    This is the only premade Potato gratin/ dauphinoise dish I buy.
    I've tried others, fresh and frozen, from Lidl / Aldi / Dunnes and nothing compares to this.

4 portions @ 100g each to
    kcal 178
    Fat 12.5g
    Saturates 9.5g
    Carbs 12.g
    Sugar 0.8
    Protein 3.5
    Salt 1g

ISgd42h.jpg

Everyone else in this thread (myself included) should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Red Berry Scone - 3 x €0.39 = €1.17
    Much better value than the Dunnes scones(€1 each / 4 for €3).
    I put them in the microwave for a few secs if I'm eating them the next day.

Definitely second these. They have a nice sour bite to the fruit that stops them being too sweet. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im pretty sure im the only one in the country who buys them but i love the 25 cent per bottle of bitter lemon , buy about five bottles every week

love the stuff

seriously

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    im pretty sure im the only one in the country who buys them but i love the 25 cent per bottle of bitter lemon , buy about five bottles every week

love the stuff

seriously

Is that like a club lemon or?. I do like a sharp low ish sugar drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Is that like a club lemon or?. I do like a sharp low ish sugar drink.

I think he means the one in the smallish bottles that you mix with gin and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mad_maxx wrote: »

love the stuff

seriously

I got the tonic water at the weekend. .24/liter,was grand in their €13 odd gin. Unless the mainstream brands are on a massive deal,I'm converted

Advertisement