Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ellejay wrote: »
    I haven't been in my local Lidl in a long time, I was there on Friday, it's so nice!
    All glass door fridges really nice.

Anyway, the puff pastry was only .99 it's 1.29 in Aldi and Tesco own brand.
    Has anyone used it, is it good?

It's fine. Neither the Lidl nor Aldi one are All Butter though which is generally what recipes will call for in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

awec wrote: »
    It's fine. Neither the Lidl nor Aldi one are All Butter though which is generally what recipes will call for in my experience.

This was a wonderful discovery for our milk intolerant son. Salmon-en-croute back on the menu :D

lassykk wrote: »
    This was a wonderful discovery for our milk intolerant son. Salmon-en-croute back on the menu :D

I think they may contain some butter, but it's mostly oil used as the fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

awec wrote: »
    I think they may contain some butter, but it's mostly oil used as the fat.

The Aldi ones definitely don't. We've been buying them now for a while.

I assume there's a good chance the Lidl ones are probably made the same place

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really liked the sliced Black Forest ham.

I chopped some of it to make an omelette, as I'm not a fan of the texture of uncooked cured ham.

There was a lot there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

It makes distinctive - but nice - pigs in blankets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭POBox19

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I really liked the sliced Black Forest ham.

I chopped some of it to make an omelette, as I'm not a fan of the texture of uncooked cured ham.

There was a lot there!

It has been on offer on the Lidl+ app so flying out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

The honey Greek Style Natural Yoghurt is gorgeous I had to stop buying it as I can eat a full container at a sitting :o must be 600 calories in that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

lassykk wrote: »
    The Aldi ones definitely don't. We've been buying them now for a while.

I assume there's a good chance the Lidl ones are probably made the same place

I remember trying to buy all butter puff pastry before and the only place I could see it was M&S.(I think). It's not very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I remember trying to buy all butter puff pastry before and the only place I could see it was M&S.(I think). It's not very common.

Really? Jus rol do all butter puff pastry, thought that would be available widely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Unfortunately it is not any more. Years ago most supermarkets used to have both all butter and margarine puff pastry. Now it's 99% non butter :(
    It's a real shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

leahyl wrote: »
    Really? Jus rol do all butter puff pastry, thought that would be available widely?

When I checked the packet on it it was made from oils and fats and no mention of butter but this was a few years ago.

When I checked the packet on it it was made from oils and fats and no mention of butter but this was a few years ago.

I think jus-rol have a specific all-butter one.

But tbh I've never had an issue with the oil based ones. I usually am using it for things like pies or salmon-en-croute type things and I don't think I'd notice a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

New avenue for contacting LIDL on social media with product queries etc

Lidl Ireland has become the first nationwide supermarket to launch a WhatsApp Customer Care messaging service to shoppers.
    In operation since 9 February, Lidl is now positioning its WhatsApp channel to cater to customers looking for quick, snappy support for day-to-day queries who can expect a response in less than 30 minutes. The retailer’s regular customer channels, via phone and email, will remain in place for longer enquiries... shoppers can get in touch with the Live Chat and Messaging service on 00353 1421 2300.

Read more: https://www.shelflife.ie/lidl-ireland-becomes-first-nationwide-supermarket-to-launch-whatsapp-customer-care-service/#ixzz6miK7c367

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I hope they continue to supply the hand soap refill bags, They started selling it as during the pandemic i think they had supply issues with the pump bottle assemblies which seems sorted now as the pump bottles are back in stock. Very handy being able to reuse my soap bottles mutliple times. Used to hate throwing them in the bin after 1 use. Much greener too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

No sign of Fallon's decaf tea in my local Lidl the last 3 weeks or so, no shelf edge label, and the adjoining coffees have been spread out to fill the space... hopefully it will be back, they don't stock any other decaf tea and it's 3 or 4 times the price in the main supermarkets - a complete ripoff.

Anyone got stock in their local store, or know if it's coming back?

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Italiamo is always one of our favourite specials. Would highly recommend the scamorza and the gnocchi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Sunrise Cocktails - Mojito in a can. Classy. But delicious over ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Talguetler wrote: »
    Italiamo is always one of our favourite specials. Would highly recommend the scamorza and the gnocchi.

The Italians cheese slices are delicious

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Left my money, took the cannoli. (from the freezer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

What are the stock levels like for Italiamo? I have to make an effort to get to a Lidl. Went twice to buy Alpenfest fare, but they had less than half of the stuff in the leaflet and the manager told me the rest was stuck in a port somewhere
    Don’t want to waste another trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I went to my Lidl on Thursday evening and they had the full range of italiamo. I picked up a good bit of cheese, cherries, ice cream etc. In my experience it doesn't last very long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

What are the stock levels like for Italiamo? I have to make an effort to get to a Lidl. Went twice to buy Alpenfest fare, but they had less than half of the stuff in the leaflet and the manager told me the rest was stuck in a port somewhere
    Don’t want to waste another trip.

Good stock in aungier street. Went last week for alpenfest but didn't see much. Did today so maybe it did arrive late. Plenty of both specials available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The Go Ahead chocolate is a great addition to the regular stock but the best chocolate ever is the Alpenfest Dark Chocolate with Almond. 74% cocoa solids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Go Ahead chocolate is a great addition to the regular stock but the best chocolate ever is the Alpenfest Dark Chocolate with Almond. 74% cocoa solids.

The alpenfest white chocolate with the almond cream is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Are the Mixed beans gone?

I think it was their Freshona brand, haven’t seen any stocked in Cabra since mid-Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭AhhHere

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Are the Mixed beans gone?

I think it was their Freshona brand, haven’t seen any stocked in Cabra since mid-Jan?

Beans and chickpeas been missing for a while in my local

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

'Chef Select' Beef Lasagne 400g are very nice. I put a little extra cheese and some herbs on top.

Bought the Italiamo Bell Pepper and Chilli soup.

Don't bother. It's awful. I was expecting like a sweet spicy soup. It's more like a tangy soup with big lumps of soggy chilli in it with almost no heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In the catalogue the French week food specials are due to be in store Thursday.

Just wondering have people noticed the food specials arriving in store early, say on the Wednesday afternoon?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement