Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France 2021 6n

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Gaa is an amateur sport. People overstate how much its denying us of professional grade sportspeople.
    There is large numbers who dont get the access to playing rugby with the influence of GAA. It very much does deny us a considerable number of potential pro rugby players.
    walshb wrote: »
    Amateur or pro is not relevant

Far more people participate in it

Far more historical influence

Far more clubs

GAA is our National game

Rugby never has been a massively participated sport

It is down the list.
    it is a massively participated sport in terms of all sports. Its one of top 5 most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    But it’s an irrelevant point as out participation numbers are still good enough that we shouldn’t be settling for dross.

This explains it so

Typical George Hook..

Dying to slag and criticise..calling the team dross because they lost by a score today..

There is large numbers who dont get the access to playing rugby with the influence of GAA. It very much does deny us a considerable number of potential pro rugby players.

it is a massively participated sport in terms of all sports. Its one of top 5 most popular.

I get that it is up there

Probably 200 clubs in the country

My point was more in comparison to GAA

Far more people and importance and significance goes to GAA..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Amateur or pro is not relevant

Far more people participate in it

Far more historical influence

Far more clubs

GAA is our National game

Rugby never has been a massively participated sport

It is down the list.

Exactly look back 10 or 15 years and compare club membership for a 10 year old child. Rugby you could be talking about a couple of hundred while GAA would have been 20 or 30 and if there was a young fella whose parents couldn't afford the 20 or 30 it would be covered.

Weather we like it or not rugby was seen as an elitist sport and has suffered massively from it. Even my own Rugby club wouldnt be too keen on recruiting lads from council estates to this day.

Admittedly there has been massive changes in rugby but you cannot blame the GAA for stealing rugby players when for decades those same GAA players wouldnt be wanted near the rugby grounds.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So who's the favourites to win this now?

France are still favourites to win the championship at least.

They should have had the game finished off with 20 minutes to go here today

Pure butchery on their part for 2 tries and obviously Ireland were fortunate with that bounce for the try

I think that they will get better

They have all the tools there at their disposal

• Advertisement

Compared to France..they have maybe 8-10 times more rugby clubs than we do

This has to be a factor..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

piplip87 wrote: »
    Exactly look back 10 or 15 years and compare club membership for a 10 year old child. Rugby you could be talking about a couple of hundred while GAA would have been 20 or 30 and if there was a young fella whose parents couldn't afford the 20 or 30 it would be covered.

Weather we like it or not rugby was seen as an elitist sport and has suffered massively from it. Even my own Rugby club wouldnt be too keen on recruiting lads from council estates to this day.

Admittedly there has been massive changes in rugby but you cannot blame the GAA for stealing rugby players when for decades those same GAA players wouldnt be wanted near the rugby grounds.

There isnt many if any rugby clubs like especially considering the location of most clubs It was perceptions but that isnt near the truth especially saying those players wouldnt be wanted near rugby grounds. countless examples to counter that point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭almostover

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Croatia is a classic example of how bad we're doing in many sports.However Leinster are our Hadjuk Split. For many reasons its not being translated into the international arena. Yest its a step up but we're diluting quality with inferior players and inferior tactics, much like happened in the past when Munster were the dominant force.

Population shouldn't be part of the excuse. Its sad to see some people clawing at excuses. The players themselves left this ****e years ago, so people should stop.

In fairness GAA "robs" us of serious athletic talent in comparison to NZ.

In fairness Croatia have made the semi finals of a world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

glasso wrote: »
    France are still favourites to win the championship at least.

They should have had the game finished off with 20 minutes to go here today

Pure butchery on their part for 2 tries and obviously Ireland were fortunate with that bounce for the try

I think that they will get better

They have all the tools there at their disposal
    They got a bit sloppy under defensive pressure, Dupont threw a pass at Le Roux's head (I think it was him) with the line begging. And their lineout needs work too. Scrum also had a few wobbles and they gave up a lot of silly penalties. They'd want to sharpen those areas up when they play England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

almostover wrote: »
    In fairness Croatia have made the semi finals of a world cup

And we've never gone beyond the quarter finals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭almostover

Between population comparisons and the GAA, we're gone way off topic on here. Having said that if Cillian O'Connor had started at no.10 today and David Clifford was at 12 our playmaking ability would have seen us over the line ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Compared to France..they have maybe 8-10 times more rugby clubs than we do

This has to be a factor..

How is it a factor?

This explains it so

Typical George Hook..

Dying to slag and criticise..calling the team dross because they lost by a score today..

If you are okay with losing than fair enough.

How is it a factor?

When you have a far larger pool to select from it can allow you more to play with...including g back up

Why am I explaining this to you?

Take track and Field

Ireland v France..

They have far more medals in global championships than us.

Why? Well, part of the reason is their pool size..

It absolutely plays a part...

The more population you have the chances of succeeding and winning at sports can be influenced..

Same reason why countries like England and the U.S. and Brazil and China have far more medals in the Olympics than we do..

Population size helps..it’s basic stats..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

I know this is a bit mad, a bit out there but
    GETTING BACK TO THE MATCH

positives... Scrum. Lineout. Good game plan the first half. The forwards. A new number 9 and 10.

negatives...A few penalties in the defensive lineout (Lifters). No offloading. The backs. Mike Catt.Some of the defending by certain players.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They got a bit sloppy under defensive pressure, Dupont threw a pass at Le Roux's head (I think it was him) with the line begging. And their lineout needs work too. Scrum also had a few wobbles and they gave up a lot of silly penalties. They'd want to sharpen those areas up when they play England.

yes they were far from perfect

but their defence was good and they were dynamic and dangerous in attack.

yes they butchered two pretty-much certain tries but they also made those chances.

Scotland next (at home if that actually means anything) who I think that will beat

They are still favourites for the championship

Dupont was trying to be a bit too fast on a couple of occasions today

right idea but didn't always get it right

still class offload and a couple of breaks from him

When you have a far larger pool to select from it can allow you more to play with...including g back up

Why am I explaining this to you?

Take track and Field

Ireland v France..

They have far more medals in global championships than us.

Why? Well, part of the reason is their pool size..

It absolutely plays a part...

The more population you have the chances of succeeding and winning at some sports can be influenced..

Same reason why countries like England and the U.S. and Brazil and China have far more medals in the Olympics..

Population size helps..it’s basic stats..

It is irrelevant because it’s still 23 v 23 at the end of the day and at the end of the day our 23 was good enough to beat their 23 but their 23 looked organized and had a game plan whereas we look totally bereft of ideas.

This really is such a loser mentality and if this is going to be the excuse every time we lose to France or England we can happily take our QF RWC exit now instead of wait 2 years.

It is irrelevant because it’s still 23 v 23 at the end of the day and at the end of the day our 23 was good enough to beat their 23 but their 23 looked organized and had a game plan whereas we look totally bereft of ideas.

This really is such a loser mentality and if this is going to be the excuse every time we lose to France or England we can happily take our QF RWC exit now instead of wait 2 years.

Your OTT slagging them because they lost a match is the issue..

Labeling them dross for losing a rugby match v France is the problem

And why does it have to be dross because we haven’t gotten past a QF stage of a WC?

We are not the best rugby team for in the world. Never were, despite rankings..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Gaa is an amateur sport. People overstate how much its denying us of professional grade sportspeople.

That’s completely wrong. Each GAA county panel has 30 top end athletes with ball skills that are transferable to rugby. That’s >900 players who consistently perform at a high level. Do you not think that they would improve the rugby playing pool if they were available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Field east

I chose New Zealand because of the OP reference to Ireland population, inaccurate as it was. Using population as the barometer for sporting success falls flat on its face on many facets but NZ felt like a very apt example to prove my point.

So Italy should beat ireland by the proverbial cricket score EVERYTIME because it has a pop of 60 + million.

• Advertisement

Your OTT slagging them because they lost a match is the issue..

Labeling them dross for losing a rugby match v France is the problem

And why does it have to be dross because we haven’t gotten past a QF stage of a WC?

We are not the best rugby team for in the world. Never were, despite rankings..

I’m not labeling them dross because they lost, I’m labeling them dross because they were dross.

Because it’s an utter embarrassment, I hope the the players bar for success isn’t as low as yours.

We should be aiming to be the best, that’s what every competitive sports team should be, we got there in 2018 which shows it can be done so these excuses are futile.

I’m not labeling them dross because they lost, I’m labeling them dross because they were dross.

Because it’s an utter embarrassment, I hope the the players bar for success isn’t as low as yours.

We should be aiming to be the best, that’s what every competitive sports team should be, we got there in 2018 which shows it can be done so these excuses are futile.

And you are the exact type to label them dross because they can’t be the best..

We have never been the best rugby team on earth..get over it

It’s about 3rd-4th in our sporting interests...

We do very well considering our population and the fact that it is not our National game. Never was.

Your slagging them as dross is the utter embarrassment, not their efforts on the rugby pitch.

Field east wrote: »
    So Italy should beat ireland by the proverbial cricket score EVERYTIME because it has a pop of 60 + million.

At soccer, which is their primary field sport, yes unquestionably.

It's really not complicated.

Ps lots of cricket matches are won by one to six points/runs BTW so you need to confuse yourself with a different sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Faugheen wrote: »
    So he made meters off every carry he made on average.

Sounds exactly like you want your 6 to be doing.

He also won a line out and a steal on the ground. How quick was Ireland’s ball today? He had a big hand in that.

He was one of Ireland’s best players today. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn’t actually watch the game.

He was poor by any metric. Fair play to him on the lineout steal and the turnover but for carries and ground made, which is one of the main reasons he was picked, he was very quiet.

I have to say it's quite surprising that there has been a turnaround in relation to how we view backrowers on this forum. I can recall a time in the not to distant past where the above stats were enough to have people calling for players to be dropped from the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

on the game i was actually plesantly surprised how well we did at times in defence, we were never going to get more than 15 points i felt and only for the try which came against the run of play we would have score just 6 points at home. I wouldnt buy into France being massive favourtites they missed a few kicks and three walk in tries , a more clinical team would have put 35 points on us today. I actually think England will have a say in this championship yet. Wales will relish taking on France too and that could be the Grand slam decider. I would love to see Wales beat England in Cardiff in two weeks , i think thats 50-50 game, the two week break suits Wales and England both will improve a lot. If wales were to beat england they have italy next and france would know all about it in Paris in a Grand Slam decider.

And you are the exact type to label them dross because they can’t be the best..

We have never been the best rugby team on earth..get over it

It’s about 3rd-4th in our sporting interests...

We do very well considering our population and the fact that it is not our National game. Never was.

Your slagging them as dross is the utter embarrassment, not their efforts on the rugby pitch.

I labeled them dross because they were dross

We were in 2018.

And what’s your point, this is the attitude of a loser, we are losers?

We got to the top of the world in 2018, that’s the standard we should set. Settling for less and we will continue to screw up at World Cups.

Weather it’s our national game or not is irrelevant as we got to the top of the world in 2018, that should be the goal of this team, not overnight but long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i thin from now on the 6 nations will be only on sky and pay per view, that will see playing numbers fall off a cliff in next 10 years. kids wont see ireland playing from one end of the year til the other, thats the biggest battle irsh rugby will have. without the odd non rugby school/area player we are a very poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Can't help feeling that Ireland missed a chance today to topple the French who were far from their best. As already noted Ireland were blunt in attack. They had enough ball to score at least a couple of tries and even at the end if France had conceded a penalty Ireland might have won. France will probably feel this is the bad game out of their system and I make them favourites to lift the title but it could yet be very close. Would love to see France vs Wales GS decider as concluding game on final weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

GAA is likely taking players away from rugby, but we have to play the cards we're dealt :/ America could be phenomenal at rugby if it weren't for the distractions of their national sports. Playing population is something that tends to only come up when we aren't going so well. And in fact, it is dismissed as a potential contributing factor to success by some when it comes to provincial level.

We were ranked #1 in the world not so long ago, our provincial teams (one in particular) are battering all around them at league level and Leinster could only be unstuck by Sarries in Europe (I don't think anyone else would have stopped them). We're well capable of beating anyone; it's just not going to plan at the moment.

As the cliche goes, it's a game of fine margins. We won a game against France a few years ago that we could have (and maybe should have) lost thanks to a wonder drop goal. We could have beaten Wales last week even with 14, and we could have won today (even though I also think France could have been out of sight) - Lowe perhaps needs to wear smaller boots.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i thin from now on the 6 nations will be only on sky and pay per view, that will see playing numbers fall off a cliff in next 10 years. kids wont see ireland playing from one end of the year til the other, thats the biggest battle irsh rugby will have. without the odd non rugby school/area player we are a very poor side.

Sky have virtually closed down their domestic rugby department. One of their main anchormen was commentating this weekend for BT Sport. I think Amazon and possibly BT Sport will make a bid and some games will remain FTA.

Advertisement