Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France 2021 6n

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'd have to ask, what has Catt done with this team? No power plays or tricky back moves.

He's bringing his experience which he earned as attack coach in Italy for 4 years to to the Irish setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

almostover wrote: »
    I see you're point in respect to our attack and its very justified. I think where we have regressed most is the silly defensive errors however. Even under Schmidt we never had a razor sharp attack. What we had were some excellent set piece moves and strike plays and a super mean defence that gave nothing away. It only took 2-3 well executed moves per game for us to win because we gave the opposition no easy points, both from the boot or from tries. Since Farrell has taken over we've not improved our attack play one iota and we're making numerous defensive mistakes gifting our opposition easy points. For me any good team is built on a mean defence. Once that is nailed you can add attacking flair.

Not just defensive errors, just errors in general. I don’t think our defense has been that bad, I think last week being a man down really screwed us over and today while we weren’t great France will always find a way to score tries so can’t really be overly critical today. The problem is the attack as we spin it wide and once it gets to the end we just cut inside without fixing any defenders to the build
    Up and eventually we just kick the ball. We draw no defender and as a result find 0 gaps for the line break. This isn’t even rocket science, even Italy are able to do it but whatever reason we are just stuck in our ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

walshb wrote: »
    Good one.

Rugby is NZls national game..

They eat, live and breathe the sport for chrissake!

Wales the same!

156,893 versus 153,080.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries

• Registered Users Posts: 55,064 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You don't even know the population of the island that our rugby team is drawn from. You're out of your depth.

Circa 6.5 million the island..

Anyway,

Point lost on you

NZ eat, live and breathe rugby..

We never have and never will

It is not near to the level of NZ as regards its influence and importance and significance..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

He's bringing his experience which he earned as attack coach in Italy for 4 years to to the Irish setup.

This a million times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

You know Ireland has lost when people are comparing numbers playing in NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anyway,

Point lost on you

It is not near to the level of NZ as regards its influence and importance and significance..

You originally quoted the pop of the Republic because you didn't factor in the North for an all island sport. Go back to the boxing forum.

Anyway,

Point lost on you

The point isn’t lost because the argument you initially made as been totally debunked when NZL comes into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

The poorest decision today was sending Healy and Henderson after a that head clash,

It stinks, you have to trust the bench!

You originally quoted the pop of the Republic because you didn't factor in the North for an all island sport. Go back to the boxing forum.

I did factor in the island..

I simply said 5 million. I knew that was off by a bit.

Well done on the spotting..

We all know rugby is all island, as is amateur boxing

• Advertisement

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    The point isn’t lost because the argument you initially made as been totally debunked when NZL comes into it.

You didn’t read the argument

You are fixated on population alone..

Nobody said that only population was the issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

For me the most disappointing thing today was not to give Craig Casey a crack of the whip for 10 mins. We had nothing to lose for the final 10 mins.

If you are making a weak as piss argument atleast get the basics right...

You were simply wrong. Better to admit and move on. Population is not the reason we lost to France. Its a lazy uninformed opinion. As I said, stick to the boxing.

If you are making a weak as piss argument atleast get the basics right...

The basics are circa 6.5 million ..

I knew after I posted 5 million it was off..

I let it go..

Anyway, get off the population buzz..

Like I said, there is more to it than just population

You didn’t read the argument

You are fixated on population alone..

Nobody said that only population was the issue..

The points you made aren’t a valid excuse to accept mediocrity. Maybe if you are Wales or Scotland you’d have a point but in Ireland we have a strong provincial game, the finances required to keep players at home, we actually have a lot going for us but sadly we seem to settle for less as a rugby nation because of our size.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just had to re-read this thread from start to finish. Some cards, some bans handed out. Ensure you stick to the charter and don't be a dick if you want to keep posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Faugheen wrote: »
    You were watching a different game then.

Probably the only player to get consistent go-forward ball against an exceptional French defense. Won a line out and a breakdown steal as well.

What more does he have to do?

He made 10 metres from 10 carries. When other backrows had stats like that this place was like a lunatic asylum with people howling for them to be dropped. If that's consistent go forward ball then my aunt is Teddy Sheringham.

The basics are circa 6.5 million ..

I knew after I posted 5 million it was off..

I let it go..

Anyway, get off the population buzz..

Like I said, there is more to it than just population

Your other points aren’t much better.

You were simply wrong. Better to admit and move on. Population is not the reason we lost to France. Its a lazy uninformed opinion. As I said, stick to the boxing.

It was wrong. The pop is circa 6.5 million..

Said that couple times now..

And grow up with the nonsense childish “go back to the boxing forum.”

• Advertisement

It was wrong. The pop is circa 6.5 million..

Said that couple times now..

And grow up with the nonsense childish “go back to the boxing forum.”

Bringing up population was nonsense. How many countries over/under perform in all aspects of life regardless of population

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So who's the favourites to win this now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Croatia is a classic example of how bad we're doing in many sports.However Leinster are our Hadjuk Split. For many reasons its not being translated into the international arena. Yest its a step up but we're diluting quality with inferior players and inferior tactics, much like happened in the past when Munster were the dominant force.

Population shouldn't be part of the excuse. Its sad to see some people clawing at excuses. The players themselves left this ****e years ago, so people should stop.

In fairness GAA "robs" us of serious athletic talent in comparison to NZ.

Bringing up population was nonsense. How many countries over/under perform in all aspects of life regardless of population

Population is one area

Not the only area..

Unless you are saying it cannot at all be considered?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He made 10 metres from 10 carries. When other backrows had stats like that this place was like a lunatic asylum with people howling for them to be dropped. If that's consistent go forward ball then my aunt is Teddy Sheringham.

So he made meters off every carry he made on average.

Sounds exactly like you want your 6 to be doing.

He also won a line out and a steal on the ground. How quick was Ireland’s ball today? He had a big hand in that.

He was one of Ireland’s best players today. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn’t actually watch the game.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Croatia is a classic example of how bad we're doing. Population shouldn't be part of the excuse. Its sad to see some people clawing at excuses. The players themselves left this ****e years ago, so people should stop.

In fairness GAA "robs" us of serious athletic talent in comparison to NZ.

Gaa is an amateur sport. People overstate how much its denying us of professional grade sportspeople.

Gaa is an amateur sport. People overstate how much its denying us of professional grade sportspeople.

Amateur or pro is not relevant

Far more people participate in it

Far more historical influence

Far more clubs

GAA is our National game

Rugby never has been a massively participated sport

It is down the list.

Amateur or pro is not relevant

Far more people participate in it

Far more historical influence

Far more clubs

GAA is our National game

Rugby never has been a massively participated sport

It is down the lust..

Rugby is a massively participated sport, stop talking crap. Just excuse after excuse after excuse to accept mediocrity.

Rugby is a massively participated sport, stop talking crap. Just excuse after excuse after excuse to accept mediocrity.

Ok,

So compared to GAA it is not near the same level..

That was the point..

Probably 8-10 times more GAA clubs!!

So winning 5/8 games v France and losing by a score today is mediocrity?

• Advertisement

Ok,

So compared to GAA it is not near the same level..

That was the point..

Probably 8-10 times more GAA clubs!!

But it’s an irrelevant point as out participation numbers are still good enough that we shouldn’t be settling for dross.

Advertisement