Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

phog wrote: »
    Kind of opposite O'Sullivan's Chemist between the People's Park and the Army Barracks

Hang on, that's not the north side!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kind of opposite O'Sullivan's Chemist between the People's Park and the Army Barracks

Ah right the south city centre Northside

• Registered Users Posts: 23,767 ✭✭✭✭phog

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I much prefer living in the centre and being able to walk to work/pubs/shops and it is much better for my mental health than commuting. No reason why both options cant be available but there isnt a street in the centre that doesnt have a derelict plot and I think that should be tackled first.

Good apartments with facilities and residents associations are the norm in many cities bigger and smaller than Limerick with better and worse weather and transport

I've no difficulty with both options being available but it's surely up to the residents to organise their own resident's associations.

One of the positives of the "half a road" fiasco was the community involvement in the #BuildOurRoad campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭adaminho

Where is Bourke Ave. ( Hyde Rd. Park ) on Limericks Northside ?

It's where the old apartments were between the Junction on Hyde road and Edward Street.

I've no difficulty with both options being available but it's surely up to the residents to organise their own resident's associations.

One of the positives of the "half a road" fiasco was the community involvement in the #BuildOurRoad campaign

Its not that simple. In blocks I lived in where you have long term residents who own their flats you have management companies with official resident representation and stuff like that. A lot if Irish apartment blocks you are just chucked in by the landlord and thats it done.

with this new centre in Coonagh and maybe one on the Old Cratloe rd. it really is time the council sorted out better buses of Caherdavin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Also, worth pointing out we have a much smaller population so we really don't need high density dwellings despite some people advocating it.
    We do need higher density dwellings instead of constant sprawl.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    Is building out Limerick that bad? I agree you don't want too much sprawl but Limerick is pretty small as it is. Building out a small bit isn't exactly going to make it a huge sprawl across the county. Your talking about adding estates what 10 or 15 minute drives from the city centre.

Surely we should be looking at both, building estates and apartments outside the city centre and building high rise apartment blocks inside the city with also improving public transport to bring people into the city centre without cars from these areas.

We keep trying to compare Limerick to other European cities. Most cities are far bigger than Limerick and estates, apartments etc... are sprawled across huge areas but have good bus and train services to compliment it. A lot of people can't afford to live in cities across Europe and make their way in on public transport.

Delighted to see this going ahead also.
    Yes it is. Because if you keep saying its ok and dont build up you just end up with so many more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jofspring wrote: »
    Is building out Limerick that bad? I agree you don't want too much sprawl but Limerick is pretty small as it is. Building out a small bit isn't exactly going to make it a huge sprawl across the county. Your talking about adding estates what 10 or 15 minute drives from the city centre.

Surely we should be looking at both, building estates and apartments outside the city centre and building high rise apartment blocks inside the city with also improving public transport to bring people into the city centre without cars from these areas.

We keep trying to compare Limerick to other European cities. Most cities are far bigger than Limerick and estates, apartments etc... are sprawled across huge areas but have good bus and train services to compliment it. A lot of people can't afford to live in cities across Europe and make their way in on public transport.

Delighted to see this going ahead also.

That would be great, but I think the main issue with that is the second part isn't likely to happen. So you'll be left with these estates and apartments outside the failing city centre with no reason for people to really come into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Until government policy on building costs change then apartments are not viable for most builders outside of Dublin. It doesn't matter what the council does, national policy will determine what is and isn't built. As it is apartment blocks outside of Dublin are generally only being built as part of larger mixed schemes.

Sorry,council was a bad choice of word,I'd agree it should/would be government policy.

But if policy was in place then all the issues the poster listed could be sorted ,bike storage/laundry room etc.
    None of them are particularly difficult to have in place but if there is no onus on a development to have these facilities they are unlikely to be done.

In fairness for years people lived and raised their families in the city centre over their business! Just as an example look above Dealz and Superdrug on William st and Starbucks on Sarsfield St. Turn those spaces into well appointed apartments. People give out about new office blocks but it also free's up overhead offices to be used for housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Very few outside Moyross give a toss about anything happening round there. This is a non issue for the areas that voted Leddin in

I'd take a slightly different look at that.

Limerick is a very small place. I'm in the middle class demographic now no doubt but like a huge amount of Limerick people was born into working class estates and due to the hard work of my parents moved out.

there's a huge amount of good will towards the like of Moyross and other disadvantaged areas I find. There is no real class system in Limerick compared to say Dublin.

The Greens got a lot of transfers down the ballot that people might think twice about next time.

I'd go as far as to say if they try the same stunt with the M20 they'll be wiped out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can you inform us of the whos and whens this engagement happened?

go look up for yourself - but its on social media, which I'm sure your familiar with

mitresize5 wrote: »

Limerick is a very small place. I'm in the middle class demographic now no doubt but like a huge amount of Limerick people was born into working class estates and due to the hard work of my parents moved out.

there's a huge amount of good will towards the like of Moyross and other disadvantaged areas I find. There is no real class system in Limerick compared to say Dublin.

The Greens got a lot of transfers down the ballot that people might think twice about next time.

I'd go as far as to say if they try the same stunt with the M20 they'll be wiped out
    Limerick was always a working class stronghold! We always looked after our own including Jim Kemmy taking down a government for taxing kid's shoes! Over the years Labour have abandoned the city and the Green's have tried to take that mantle!

Mc Love wrote: »
    go look up for yourself - but its on social media, which I'm sure your familiar with

Another cop out, that wasn't unexpected.

mitresize5 wrote: »

The constant blocking of access between Moyross and Caherdavin and the years of complaining I have heard from people scaremongering about potential "Moyross" people moving into their estates would have me believe many in Limerick would be happy to keep the place closed off.

Look at the bus routes in Limerick. There's a reason why the Moyross bus goes to South I'll and Dooradoyle to Raheen/Monaleen

Look at the bus routes in Limerick. There's a reason why the Moyross bus goes to South I'll and Dooradoyle to Raheen/Monaleen

I used to get the bus from Rathbane out to Moyross in the early 80's I used also get a bus from Sexton street to Lynwood park!

adaminho wrote: »
    I used to get the bus from Rathbane out to Moyross in the early 80's I used also get a bus from Sexton street to Lynwood park!

They recently brought the 303 back up to a 15min service which is great but it was a real missed opportunity to instead make a new route on the alternating time.

Another option the Greens should really push is a transfer fair so that people on routes like the 303 don't have to pay double to get to UL/UHL/LIT/Mary I

They recently brought the 303 back up to a 15min service which is great but it was a real missed opportunity to instead make a new route on the alternating time.

Another option the Greens should really push is a transfer fair so that people on routes like the 303 don't have to pay double to get to UL/UHL/LIT/Mary I

Imagine a bus service that from went from town, through Moyross, out to Coonagh cross (including the new LIT campus) and either back in through town or the Condell road!

Imagine a bus service that from went from town, through Moyross, out to Coonagh cross (including the new LIT campus) and either back in through town or the Condell road!

Where exactly is that campus. All the articles I found said it is built already but I can't place it

Where exactly is that campus. All the articles I found said it is built already but I can't place it

It's the disused shopping center next to Tesco. It's partially renovated.

It's the disused shopping center next to Tesco. It's partially renovated.

Aah that explains why I miss it when I pass by. Nice bit of extra business for Tesco post Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

They're going to be sharing the house anyway, whether it's a city or urban sprawl isn't going t matter too much unless they're loaded and can afford the mortgage on their own.

its not the same. In a better city, you could have a reasonably sized apartment and access to reliable public transport. In Limerick, you either live with your parents until your 30s or share a house in the suburbs and are forced to drive to work.
    Apartment dwelling and trying to work from home is disastrous for most people, they're trying to set up a "home offices" in shared spaces or their bedrooms.

90% of the apartments in Limerick are pure sh1te, agreed! Im in a good sized apartment with a roof terrace, working from home has been great. Where I live is very much the exception in Limerick. Before this I was in a 3 bedroom house in county limerick, and even after my lockdown experience, living in the county was the most isolated I had ever felt in my life. We are all different, there is no 1 size all, housing needs to reflect that.
    Maybe space is a good thing.
    The fundamental problem here is that, when you have extra space for low density housing, the majority of that extra space is used up for roads and car storage. Its not the 80's, 90's anymore, kids can't play football on the street. The proposed development around the Colbert station is a mid density development, with plenty of car free open space. This would be typical of good quality European accommodation.

mdmix wrote: »
    In Limerick, you either live with your parents until your 30s or share a house in the suburbs and are forced to drive to work

That's simply not true, I know loads of people in that age bracket that are sharing apartments in the city centre, mind you some of them are car owners too. Don't know why some people think that people that own cars are forced to own them but there you go.
    . We are all different, there is no 1 size all, housing needs to reflect that
    You'd never think that with all the moaning about urban sprawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

mdmix wrote: »
    It’s less risky for developers to build 20 houses than it is to build 20 apartments. It doesn’t help that the council are actively discouraging apartment developments in the city and encouraging building low density outside the city.

Most Irish people in their 20s are either stuck living at home as owning a car is seen as being more important in Irish society than living independently. Those that do live on their own are squashed into semi-ds, sharing with 3 or 4 others. More semi-ds will not improve their lot

Rent is expensive. And it's going up every year to unsustainable levels for many.

People need cars as bus routes are irregular and in a lot of cases non existent throughout the city and suburbs. They also only follow routes established over 20 years ago and don't link up in any meaningful way.

Did you see his clip from the Dail? You'd swear the way he spoke he was in Moyross for the last week or so engaging with them to bring about a better proposal. He can certainly put a spin on things.

Missed it! I have to say watching this all unfold has been really eye opening with regards to how things are done at local and national level and what representatives choose to address and ignore when it suits them.

jpharvey wrote: »
    Rent is expensive. And it's going up every year to unsustainable levels for many.

People need cars as bus routes are irregular and in a lot of cases non existent throughout the city and suburbs. They also only follow routes established over 20 years ago and don't link up in any meaningful way.

People need to choose better politicians. Good luck in Ireland, they're not exactly the brightest or the best.

People need to choose better politicians. Good luck in Ireland, they're not exactly the brightest or the best.

Okay then I'll rephrase that. People are forced to use cars as the public transport system lets them down.
    And I absolutely agree we need better politicians at all levels to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Another cop out, that wasn't unexpected.

Do your own research, plenty of time to be spending replying to posts on this topic. Its not that hard to find.

In fairness for years people lived and raised their families in the city centre over their business! Just as an example look above Dealz and Superdrug on William st and Starbucks on Sarsfield St. Turn those spaces into well appointed apartments. People give out about new office blocks but it also free's up overhead offices to be used for housing!

But that's the thing. They lived over their business so didn't have to worry or struggle with how to get into work. It's a really different landscape now.
    If, say, the buildings in town were brought up to spec with secure tenancies and decent amenities, which I think would be fantastic, you still have a problem with how tenants who could work in Castletroy/Raheen/Northside get out there and back. The public transport/cycling infrastructure needed to change that isn't there atm, and if the tenants who worked in town wanted to get a car for whatever reason, where would they park it? Like rent, the price of parking is going up. There needs to be a serious change in mindset at all levels of governance to deal with all those issues.

jpharvey wrote: »
    But that's the thing. They lived over their business so didn't have to worry or struggle with how to get into work. It's a really different landscape now.
    If, say, the buildings in town were brought up to spec with secure tenancies and decent amenities, which I think would be fantastic, you still have a problem with how tenants who could work in Castletroy/Raheen/Northside get out there and back. The public transport/cycling infrastructure needed to change that isn't there atm, and if the tenants who worked in town wanted to get a car for whatever reason, where would they park it? Like rent, the price of parking is going up. There needs to be a serious change in mindset at all levels of governance to deal with all those issues.

There are apartment blocks in town now that have parking for cars and bikes underneath. If things are built correctly it is possible. Its not a solution for everybody but could be for plenty. For instance 2 big employers in Limerick are UHL and the Raheen industrial estate who have an excellent bus service from town

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Do your own research, plenty of time to be spending replying to posts on this topic. Its not that hard to find.

My views on Social Media is in line with the OP on this, you claim that the post was absolute lies but as usual you fail to back it up.

Until I see something that backs it up I'll take you post as a spoof.

Replying to
    @sasanovak48
    Given how knowledgeable you’ve suddenly become on roads and regeneration do you intend on engaging at some point with Moyross Partners? You and
    @BrianLeddin’;s lack of consultation is astonishin
    g. You’re playing with peoples lives #buildourroad
    2:05 PM · Feb 4, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
    Moyross Res Forum
    @MoyrossResForum
    ·
    Feb 7
    A lot of concerns raised also
    @moranjohna1
    can you comment on the LDA involvement in the new plans for Moyross with
    @EamonRyan

@greenparty_ie
    ignoring the consultation for over 14 years with the community on the regeneration of Moyross
    #LRFIP
    @buildourroad

Advertisement