Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

Widescreen wrote: »

In 2021! No proper road between Limerick-Cork,why,Green party holding up permission.

Blame previous governments for the in-action there - though if the current fiasco is anything to go by then I think the Greens will pull a rabbit out of the hat here too to delay the road.
    Carbon Tax- keep putting tax on petrol/diesel/home heating oil but offer no proper, realistic, easy application grants to install greener heating systems or purchase electric cars at realistic prices.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, I think the investments will benefit urban areas far greater than small towns, villages and rural Ireland but we'll all have the same carbon tax.
    The Greens love talking about Rail and Bus as a means of travel to work/leisure. I'll eat my hat if there's any significant increase in public transport from the likes of Scarriff, Kilmallock or Foynes to/from Limerick in the lifetime of this government.
    Too much focus on cycling, the weather here is not conducive to cycling for most of they year.

This is one area I'd like to see some spend but if the greenway from Rathkeale to Barna is anything to go by they're just spending money of an existing route rather than extending it - they're laying a new surface, nicer fencing and newer gates, all welcome but I'd prefer to extend it rather than redoing something that was only opened a few years ago.

I'm actually looking forward to their greenway from Limerick to Killaloe via the canals and river banks.

From Brian's twitter account you would never know that there's any controversy over the Green Party stalling the Coonagh to Knocklisheen Road, even after Paddy Flannery painted a different picture about consultation that Brian said he had with the Moyross community

This is his only tweet about Limerick in the last two days.

https://twitter.com/BrianLeddin/status/1356641368286912512

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »
    From Brian's twitter account you would never know that there's any controversy over the Green Party stalling the Coonagh to Knocklisheen Road, even after Paddy Flannery painted a different picture about consultation that Brian said he had with the Moyross community

This is his only tweet about Limerick in the last two days.

https://twitter.com/BrianLeddin/status/1356641368286912512

Well why would a green TD be using his twitter to highlight contentious issues in the Green Party. Would be a bit stupid of him really

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Well why would a green TD be using his twitter to highlight contentious issues in the Green Party. Would be a bit stupid of him really

They're hardly contentious issue in the Green Party or if they are they're of their own making. His mates out batting for him though.

He had no issue spooofing on Live95FM yesterday, he was challenged on Twitter about some of what he said there and if he was correct he could have rebutted those challenges. Obviously, he has chosen not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They're hardly contentious issue in the Green Party or if they are they're of their own making. His mates out batting for him though.

He had no issue spooofing on Live95FM yesterday, he was challenged on Twitter about some of what he said there and if he was correct he could have rebutted those challenges. Obviously, he has chosen not to.

Your right - its not a contentious issue so why bother then?
    Sometimes I wonder do people here understand the way electoral system works.
    Brian Leddin or any other politican only has to appease his base + a small percentage on top of that, based on seats in Limerick he only needs 10%-12%. Is this area a high Green vote area based on previous elections. Probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Sometimes I wonder do people here understand the way electoral system works.
    Brian Leddin or any other politican only has to appease his base + a small percentage on top of that, based on seats in Limerick he only needs 10%-12%. Is this area a high Green vote area based on previous elections. Probably not.
    Do you? Leddin only got 7% of the first preference votes, so he's nowhere near 10-12%. He got in on the 9th count without making the quota.

That means that he got a lot of preferences from non Green voters (nearly 5000). These are mainly people who would have voted left and who will remember this and won't give him a preference the next time around rather than the 3200 who gave him first preference.

Do you? Leddin only got 7% of the first preference votes, so he's nowhere near 10-12%. He got in on the 9th count without making the quota.

That means that he got a lot of preferences from non Green voters (nearly 5000). These are mainly people who would have voted left and who will remember this and won't give him a preference the next time around rather than the 3200 who gave him first preference.

I would normally have been one of those 5000 if I was here to vote at the time. No way I can vote for this warped version of green policy that keeps cars pouring through housing estates and towns like Charleville.

But of course he will also probably win a few votes by trying to keep Moyross disconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Was not been specific if ya read the post again, but these stats explain it well
    So he just needs to appeal to that core 7% base, I presume they knew his position on this already. Where are they in majority based?

But HE DID bother, he went on Local Radio and gave mistruths about the road. From what I've seen of him since then he hasn't corrected those mistruths.

Will that affect his Green Party vote - probably not, will it affect votes that he picked up elsewhere, it might well do.

From the last election he needs every vote he can get but with the caliber of candidates we have in the Mid West then he might just end up being the one of the best of the a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

But of course he will also probably win a few votes by trying to keep Moyross disconnected

The greens are planning on building the road to coonagh, building a train station and improving pedestrian access between moyross and the rest of the north side. Not sure how improving access for all modes of transport would keep moyross disconnected.

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »
    The greens are planning on building the road to coonagh, building a train station and improving pedestrian access between moyross and the rest of the north side. Not sure how improving access for all modes of transport would keep moyross disconnected.

Sorry I thought the road to Coonagh was a climb down not a policy

They're planning - by they splitting Phase one into two different phases, because public consultation and planning was awarded to Phase One they might have to go back to the start of the planning process again

Tenders have been received for Phase One, the Greens are now unilaterally changing the whole contract, all of this could yet end up in court adding more years to the process.

But even if everything goes smoothly, traffic that was originally supposed to use Kncoklisheen Rd to access the Coonagh/Knocklisheen Rd will now be diverting down though Moyross. This doesn't make sense.

They're planning - by they splitting Phase one into two different phases, because public consultation and planning was awarded to Phase One they might have to go back to the start of the planning process again

Tenders have been received for Phase One, the Greens are now unilaterally changing the whole contract, all of this could yet end up in court adding more years to the process.

But even if everything goes smoothly, traffic that was originally supposed to use Kncoklisheen Rd to access the Coonagh/Knocklisheen Rd will now be diverting down though Moyross. This doesn't make sense.

Good luck to anyone trying to get past Corpus Christi to get to the new road for work in the morning

Good luck to anyone trying to get past Corpus Christi to get to the new road for work in the morning

Well Brian is talking about adding to the chaos there, it really doesn't make sense when you think about it but it seems the Greens haven't thought this through.

His/their one objective is to stop the LNDR regardless of current, future costs or any requirements the people of Moyross have.

I've seen so many community leaders saying the Green's unilateral decision to stop this road from being completed is wrong for them. Why, oh why doe she think he knows better?

Well Brian is talking about adding to the chaos there, it really doesn't make sense when you think about it but it seems the Greens haven't thought this through.

His/their one objective is to stop the LNDR regardless of current, future costs or any requirements the people of Moyross have.

I've seen so many community leaders saying the Green's unilateral decision to stop this road from being completed is wrong for them. Why, oh why doe she think he knows better?

In Dublin recently a few schools stopped cars from driving to the gate and made them drop the kids down the road. There was an almost immediate positive change to pollution around the schools and Leddins plan is to send all the traffic right past one. A very odd form of green thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Hopefully, this comes to something and the project progresses... time will tell.

https://fb.watch/3qR1kjXEiM/

Cathal Crowe TD
    15 m ·
    ⚠️ NORTHERN DISTRIBUTOR ROAD ⚠️
    A short explainer video that I’ve put together concerning the Coonagh to Knockalisheen Distributor Road. Please share with neighbours and regular road users.
    ❗️Update ❗️
    Since making this video earlier this evening, my colleague Willie O'Dea TD proposed a resolution at a Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party meeting, which I seconded, that phase 1 of this road would progress. The Taoiseach Micheál Martin will now, on behalf of our party, speak with Minister Eamon Ryan on the matter.
    ❗️Innacurate news ❗️
    The Northern Distributor Road is not related to works planned to replace the old sewage system at Ballycannon, Meelick.
    ❗️Your Views ❗️
    I will be hosting a Zoom meeting next week, in conjunction with Willie O’Dea where we would be happy to discuss phases 1 and 2 of this project. Details of this meeting will be posted on our social media pages in a few days’ time.

In Dublin recently a few schools stopped cars from driving to the gate and made them drop the kids down the road. There was an almost immediate positive change to pollution around the schools and Leddins plan is to send all the traffic right past one. A very odd form of green thinking

I think the school at Hassett's Cross try and do similar, they encourage parents to use the car parks in Shelbourne Park and Thomond Park to drop and walk.

But yes, I agree Brian and the Greens seem to think with their heart and not their head.

Their current proposal will almost certainly send more traffic down past the primary school

If anyone is concerned about the extra traffic this small part of the road will bring, consider what it will be like if the full NDR was built.

If anyone is concerned about the extra traffic this small part of the road will bring, consider what it will be like if the full NDR was built.
    The extra traffic that's been spoken about is the extra traffic that will be sent down through the middle Moyross and passed a school if the full phase one isn't built.

Bringing up phase 2 is a strawman argument that is deflecting from the point being made.

The road was supposed to have access onto a non residential road (Knocklisheen Rd) Brian and his minister have cut that option from the plan so anyone wanting to join the Coonagh/Moyross section will now have to drive down past the school. The only people using the new road that will not have to pass the school are the people living in Pineview and Delmage Park, everyone else will drive past the school.

They don't put much thought into their actions.

• Advertisement

You have that backwards. The full plan had more connections to the road so the traffic would be dispersed. Now it all goes down the Moyross main road

You have that backwards. The full plan had more connections to the road so the traffic would be dispersed. Now it all goes down the Moyross main road

Yes, you are correct, Brian's proposal have only 2 access points one at Tesco roundabout and one at the Moyross Roundabout so most users of the road will now drive past the school.

How does anyone thing is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

?id=1.4306524&origw=1440

Local FF and FG TDs, Mary Lou McDonald and the CIF all calling for phase one to go ahead in full. There's a serious groundswell behind this now. I think the Ryan and the Greens are going to have to back down and sign this off.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/607331/parties-set-out-their-stall-on-58m-limerick-road.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Willie O'Dea and Minister Ryan discussed Phase 1 today on Morning Ireland. The minister obviously has a different idea on what the road should be than what Phase 1 currently is. As we know, he will be asking the government to sign off on the Coonagh/Moyross "section" of Phase 1 and he feels this can go ahead without delay. He then wants to do a full review/feasibility study on all access, pedestrian, road traffic and public transport for the area.

Willie pointed out that if you don't complete Phase 1 as we know it then you'll have a rat run through Moyross, the minister says he will prevent that. Unfortunately no one asked him to clarify how you can prevent it, he waffled about public transport but that won't prevent people driving through the estate to get to the new road. I'd genuinely love to know how he proposes to prevent people driving through Moyross to get onto the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Local FF and FG TDs, Mary Lou McDonald and the CIF all calling for phase one to go ahead in full. There's a serious groundswell behind this now. I think the Ryan and the Greens are going to have to back down and sign this off.
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/607331/parties-set-out-their-stall-on-58m-limerick-road.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As I know he is looking at this forum (he was a very regular contributor before election) I want to address him personally

Congratulations Brian - you have done what many people though impossible. You have united FF, FG, Sf, Labour and the loony left behind a single cause.

That is some achievement. Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

mitresize5 wrote: »
    As I know he is looking at this forum (he was a very regular contributor before election) I want to address him personally

Congratulations Brian - you have done what many people though impossible. You have united FF, FG, Sf, Labour and the loony left behind a single cause.

That is some achievement. Bravo

He has turned a lot of people I know who'd always have at the very least given the greens a high preference.

Irrevocably anti green.
    They'll take up environmental issues with the other parties and chase environmental responsibility and social conscience rather than subscribe to Green notions of ensuring continuing social inequality.

banie01 wrote: »
    He has turned a lot of people I know who'd always have at the very least given the greens a high preference.

Irrevocably anti green.
    They'll take up environmental issues with the other parties and chase environmental responsibility and social conscience rather than subscribe to Green notions of ensuring continuing social inequality.

Because they are against urban sprawl and forced car ownership? Don’t get me wrong, I get the history of the road and I get that delays are unacceptable, but let’s not get carried away with fantasies.

Better walking, cycling and public transport are proven to increase social mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Because they are against urban sprawl and forced car ownership? Don’t get me wrong, I get the history of the road and I get that delays are unacceptable, but let’s not get carried away with fantasies.

Better walking, cycling and public transport are proven to increase social mobility.

Because they live in areas that the road would both serve and improve.
    But you carry on with your own agenda.
    I'll lay my stall out on the side of those already waiting 14yrs for the integration this road will provide(along with the cycling and pedestrian infrastructure included in the plan, which you seem to have pointedly ignored?), which also funnily enough was authorized by a Green minister.

How much longer do you think it's acceptable for Moyross to remain as is?
    Why wait for feasibility studies on light rail before implementation of the road as planned and authorised?
    What is wrong with the cycle infrastructure planned in the current development?

When our local green TD, who in all his time as a councillor did not attend a single regeneration meeting or visit Moyross in an official capacity, why is his opinion valued?
    Why are his lies about engagement with the local stakeholders given any credence?

• Advertisement

I cycle every day to work on those roads and I would really like if the cars had a ring road to use. I'm delighted that the greens are pushing walking, cycling and PT as they are the only ways I get round cause I never drove. But not every road is evil and some are good for the walkers, cyclists and buses as well as the pollution in residential areas

Advertisement