Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

breezy1985 wrote: »
    There are apartment blocks in town now that have parking for cars and bikes underneath. If things are built correctly it is possible. Its not a solution for everybody but could be for plenty. For instance 2 big employers in Limerick are UHL and the Raheen industrial estate who have an excellent bus service from town

I know. I live in one of them. And what's happening is when they're rented out or put up for sale the landlord/owner keeps the parking space so the tenant/new owner has to find somewhere else to put a car/bike if they have one.

Raheen and UHL are on the same bus line, which is one of the better ones, but you'll still be waiting a long time at certain hours and distancing is really hard in these masked times.:D

phog wrote: »
    My views on Social Media is in line with the OP on this, you claim that the post was absolute lies but as usual you fail to back it up.

Until I see something that backs it up I'll take you post as a spoof.

I think Claire Keating, who stood by her principles and backed up what the local orgs claimed was going on, said it all really. And I don't know her or any of the individuals involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

jpharvey wrote: »
    I know. I live in one of them. And what's happening is when they're rented out or put up for sale the landlord/owner keeps the parking space so the tenant/new owner has to find somewhere else to put a car/bike if they have one.

Raheen and UHL are on the same bus line, which is one of the better ones, but you'll still be waiting a long time at certain hours and distancing is really hard in these masked times.:D

The 304 is as good as any bus I have ever been on. It's every 15 mins and the 301 is there too so if you are expecting better I would say you are dreaming.
    Things like the parking problem are why things like residents associations and better regulations are needed but some amount of scumbaggery from landlords is probably inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

But that's the thing. They lived over their business so didn't have to worry or struggle with how to get into work. It's a really different landscape now.
    If, say, the buildings in town were brought up to spec with secure tenancies and decent amenities, which I think would be fantastic, you still have a problem with how tenants who could work in Castletroy/Raheen/Northside get out there and back. The public transport/cycling infrastructure needed to change that isn't there atm, and if the tenants who worked in town wanted to get a car for whatever reason, where would they park it? Like rent, the price of parking is going up. There needs to be a serious change in mindset at all levels of governance to deal with all those issues.
    The point I was trying to make was that there is plenty of space in town for high quality apartments in the city centre for people who live and work there. I know many people who live in the suburbs who work in town! If you worked in Uber or Eir or WP engine it would make sense to live in town and have a 5 min walk to work. It also free's up houses in Dooradoyle or Castletroy for people that work near there.

adaminho wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make was that there is plenty of space in town for high quality apartments in the city centre for people who live and work there. I know many people who live in the suburbs who work in town! If you worked in Uber or Eir or WP engine it would make sense to live in town and have a 5 min walk to work. It also free's up houses in Dooradoyle or Castletroy for people that work near there.

Totally agree with you. The movement of traffic in and out of town (pre Covid obviously) in line with office hours is really evident. But the quality of apartments in town atm is poor, and people want to live where they want to live and absolutely should have that choice. It's a hard one to untangle.

Anyway, hopefully down the line standards will go up, the LNDR will improve access to the area around it and Limerick is the better for it. *holds breath*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

Totally agree with you. The movement of traffic in and out of town (pre Covid obviously) in line with office hours is really evident. But the quality of apartments in town atm is poor, and people want to live where they want to live and absolutely should have that choice. It's a hard one to untangle.

Anyway, hopefully down the line standards will go up, the LNDR will improve access to the area around it and Limerick is the better for it. *holds breath*

The worst thing is I have Coke bike's at the end of both Street's but the closest I can can get to work in the Crescent is Mary I!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My views on Social Media is in line with the OP on this, you claim that the post was absolute lies but as usual you fail to back it up.

Until I see something that backs it up I'll take you post as a spoof.

Fine

https://twitter.com/sasanovak48/status/1359122193372901379?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

That's simply not true, I know loads of people in that age bracket that are sharing apartments in the city centre, mind you some of them are car owners too. Don't know why some people think that people that own cars are forced to own them but there you go.

You'd never think that with all the moaning about urban sprawl.

Urban sprawl is not a desirable development goal, it is a problem that costs us all economically, socially, on pollution and health grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

That's simply not true, I know loads of people in that age bracket that are sharing apartments in the city centre, mind you some of them are car owners too.

what like 10, 12? in an urban area of 100k, how many is loads?

Don't know why some people think that people that own cars are forced to own them but there you go.

why don't you take the bus into town and find out?
    You'd never think that with all the moaning about urban sprawl.

and all you do is moan about traffic and how there are not enough roads, at least is possible to stop urban sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Cossax wrote: »
    Urban sprawl is not a desirable development goal, it is a problem that costs us all economically, socially, on pollution and health grounds.

High density housing isn’t exactly pandemic friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »

One tweet about a meeting that took place before the row - did any of the Greens and I include the Green TD here meaningfully engage with the Moyross residents once they tried to stall Phase 1 of the road?

3 of them went down to Westfields in the middle of the row over the road to make a video clip on how important Westfields is but couldn't be bothered meeting with the residents of Moyross.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One councillor - did any of the Greens and I include the Green TD here meaningfully engage with the Moyross residents once they tried to stall Phase 1 of the road?

3 of them went down to Westfields in the middle of the row over the road to make a video clip on how important Westfields is but couldn't be bothered meeting with the residents of Moyross.

Did Novak also switch her Social Media to private and stop engaging when she was called out on the above?
    Or was that beforehand?

mdmix wrote: »
    what like 10, 12? in an urban area of 100k, how many is loads?

This is what you said
    In Limerick, you either live with your parents until your 30s or share a house in the suburbs and are forced to drive to work

So don't be getting snotty now about how many I'd know out of the population of the city.

One councillor - did any of the Greens and I include the Green TD here meaningfully engage with the Moyross residents once they tried to stall Phase 1 of the road?

Their dail candidate for county Limerick in the last election has left the party because she says she had warned top brass to not block the road after a number of meeting with the locals. Green chair for the area stepped down for the same reason so greens were engaging it's just the top ones didn't listen

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Their dail candidate for county Limerick in the last election has left the party because she says she had warned top brass to not block the road after a number of meeting with the locals. Green chair for the area stepped down for the same reason so greens were engaging it's just the top ones didn't listen

Just on that, yes there was engagement from certain green party members.
    Those members were told to toe the party line, and didn't.
    Their conscience stood at odds with what was ordered.

No elected green representative had such qualms and some went so far as to spin fairy tales of community engagement in support of their stance.

Sasa Novak for example put her social media on private for a period, yet is now acting like the party was in favour all along!

Sheer hypocrisy.
    Waffle regarding cross party support, when the only opposition to the scheme were her party!

https://twitter.com/sasanovak48/status/1359588338219515911?s=19

https://twitter.com/sasanovak48/status/1359449689880473600?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Crystalsun

I can't understand why Greens didn't get involved earlier in the process ( which is it ? incompetence or sleepiness?) Afterall its on the drawings since 2009).

Apart from the fact that the link was necessary and is the only positive thing to come out of Limerick Regeneration, the Greens could have contributed something to this project by demanding land use stipulations the entire length of the road , in the spirit of
    transport oriented development thinking . But they don't think and they missed the boat. They just take orders from aliens.

On balance ,this road is Hyde Rd or Brookeville avenue on speed( because of the bus lanes ) really beautiful roads by the way , especially around Autumn time.
    God speed the work and keep everyone safe.

Crystalsun wrote: »
    I can't understand why Greens didn't get involved earlier in the process ( lincompetence, sleepiness, ?).

Apart from the fact that the link was necessary and is only positive thing to coome out of LImerick Regeneration, the Greens could have contributed to something to this project by demanding land use stipulations the entire length of the Road , in the spirit of
    transport oriented development thinking . But they don't think and they missed the boat. They just take orders from aliens.

On balance ,this road is Hyde Rd or Brookeville avenue on speed( because of the bus lanes )
    God speed the work and keep all everyone safe.

The Coonagh - Moyross - Knocknalisheen project in its was signed off by a Green minister and was supported by his department through its planning.

The issue isn't that the Greens didn't get involved, it's that they threw an entire community under the bus (ironically) for idealogy rather than even attempt to understand the visceral sense of abandonment in the community or the vital need for this road in conjunction with the other measures.

banie01 wrote: »
    The Coonagh - Moyross - Knocknalisheen project in its was signed off by a Green minister and was supported by his department through its planning.

The issue isn't that the Greens didn't get involved, it's that they threw an entire community under the bus (ironically) for idealogy rather than even attempt to understand the visceral sense of abandonment in the community or the vital need for this road in conjunction with the other measures.

In that case we have a pretty incompetent Government people if they ignored best practice when designing infrastructure in the 21st century. Ireland.

And I assume they've included a trunk water main , foul sewer and Gas in the contract.?? even if they forget about houses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I can't understand why Greens didn't get involved earlier in the process ( which is it ? incompetence or sleepiness?) Afterall its on the drawings since 2009).

Apart from the fact that the link was necessary and is the only positive thing to come out of Limerick Regeneration, the Greens could have contributed something to this project by demanding land use stipulations the entire length of the road , in the spirit of

On balance ,this road is Hyde Rd or Brookeville avenue on speed( because of the bus lanes ) really beautiful roads by the way , especially around Autumn time.
    God speed the work and keep everyone safe.
    In that case we have a pretty incompetent Government people if they ignored best practice when designing infrastructure in the 21st century. Ireland.
    What on earth are you talking about? What best practice has been ignored? The Greens weren't in governmet during the time this project was being conceived and planned. In fact they barely even had any TDs. Never mind councillors.

This whole route has footpaths and cycle lanes along its entire length ans upgrades the existing roads to have the same. It will allow buses to run through Moyross. What more do you want?

Also that's the first time I've ever heard Hyde Rd described as beautiful. It's quite the opposite in fact in most peoples opinions.

What on earth are you talking about? What best practice has been ignored? The Greens weren't in governmet during the time this project was being conceived and planned. In fact they barely even had any TDs. Never mind councillors.

Gormley was Minister for Transport environment, heritage and local government. from 2007 to 2011, the conception, initial planning and sign offs were all on the Green watch.
    It's hiatus was unfortunate, but its current use as a football by the greens is at odds with the original support offered.

**Edit**
    Corrected Gormleys ministry.

• Advertisement

For some reason I though that government was gone before 2011. I knew Bertie resigned in 2008 but I didn't realise that Cowen (and his government) lasted 3 years :eek:

This whole route has footpaths and cycle lanes along its entire length ans upgrades the existing roads to have the same. It will allow buses to run through Moyross. What more do you want?

Also that's the first time I've ever heard Hyde Rd described as beautiful. It's quite the opposite in fact in most peoples opinions.

Plans for housing/ offices / factories / hospitals along its axis for instance and after 14 years there's not even a plan.

Don't be using the Greens as some sort of straw man . The Green agenda is not about enhancing the quality of life for people. Its about impoverishing the masses something they tried to do.

And Hyde Road and Brookeville avenue ARE best practice when it comes to Transport Oriented Development. Both designed and buuilt before a green hedgehog ever surfaced.

adaminho wrote: »
    The worst thing is I have Coke bike's at the end of both Street's but the closest I can can get to work in the Crescent is Mary I!

Are the Coke bikes still up and running?
    Didn't know there was no stand at the Crescent, would've thought that was a really obvious place to put one.

Didn't know there was no stand at the Crescent, would've thought that was a really obvious place to put one.

Ya still going and ya the crescent and UHL seem like obvious destinations

One stand at the Crescent isn't enough but yes, the bike scheme should have been extended beyond the city centre long before now.

This is my first year not rejoining the scheme, with working from home and the scheme not being extended I thought it was time to give up on them, though I have to say I've missed it a few times already but town is small enough to walk around anyway.

Was home to the cheapest house in Ireland at one point.

Side note: Criminals sure are good at getting google to blur their houses.

The road is not bad - with the grass verges and the trees etc. Just the burnt out houses, criminals and RAT graffitti is off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Wondering who erected the big "Build our Road" sign on the roundabout at the exit from Tesco Coonagh?, who funded it?, and who gave permission to erect it?

jbkenn wrote: »
    Wondering who erected the big "Build our Road" sign on the roundabout at the exit from Tesco Coonagh?, who funded it?, and who gave permission to erect it?
    I would say the locals for the first two questions and nobody for the last.

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote: »

A couple popped up in Moyross too and a van

Advertisement