Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

I heard something about a boy being adopted by a farmer where he had to do a lot of work on the farm and was basically like cheap farm labour. I imagine if this happened a bit more boys than girls were adopted into such a scenario.

Though I’m certainly not arguing overall it was worse for males.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭cms88

Same. I watched some of the shows on RTE about it, where they presented the people who had been campaigning regarding unmarked graves, the deaths etc. There was a serious focus on female side of things rather than consideration to both genders. Which, I can kinda, understand TBH.. still it bothered me a little.

In addition, there was a reinforcement of the idea of women being victims in the past, rather than being responsible for their own choices in life. The attention was given to the formless/vague men who put them in that situation, as if the women had no choice in the matter at all.

No surprises TBH.

All of the ''activists'' seem to be women, some of whom in their own heads really believe no boys/men were effected.

There was an article in the paper the other day pretty much blaming the fathers or the children as well. While there were of course cases of rape etc some of the fathers more than likely would have wanted to keep the children but they were just as powerless yet you won't see too many in the media saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cms88 wrote: »
    All of the ''activists'' seem to be women, some of whom in their own heads really believe no boys/men were effected.

There was an article in the paper the other day pretty much blaming the fathers or the children as well. While there were of course cases of rape etc some of the fathers more than likely would have wanted to keep the children but they were just as powerless yet you won't see too many in the media saying this.

Call it a bias or feel free to challenge me, but I'd wager a lot of the "what would the neighbours think" was the family matriarchs calling the shots. If the mothers had stood behind their daughters, the girls fathers would have rowed in behind

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ahh well.. I've always found it curious the way society looks at pregnancy, and how it happens. Women know their bodies much better than men do. They know their period, and should know the risks of unprotected sex, better than men. It's simple logic. And yet, if a woman gets pregnant, the man is responsible. Just the man.

Oh, I know that throughout history women have been punished for getting pregnant, but again, it always makes me wonder why women, themselves, don't take more responsibility in ensuring that they don't get pregnant out of marriage. Surely they would have known the risks involved?

I'd say 9 times out of 10, when I've had casual sex with someone or even at the beginning of a relationship, I'm the one with the condoms, and the one making sure we're not being risky. Even now, I've found that many women won't engage in other forms of contraception, instead relying that the man is carrying condoms.. and if there's no condom, many will be fine with unprotected sex. Boggles the mind... And yes, many women are very careful about unprotected sex, and will refuse sex without a condom, but I've met very few women who would carry condoms themselves. The responsibility is left with the guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Oh, I know that throughout history women have been punished for getting pregnant, but again, it always makes me wonder why women, themselves, don't take more responsibility in ensuring that they don't get pregnant out of marriage. Surely they would have known the risks involved?.

Contraception was illegal here until relatively recently. Couple that with a strict religious up bringing where sex wasn't mentioned, lack of education and good old fashioned ignorance means they probably did not fully appreciate the risks involved.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Contraception was illegal here until relatively recently. Couple that with a strict religious up bringing where sex wasn't mentioned, lack of education and good old fashioned ignorance means they probably did not fully appreciate the risks involved.

I don't know what the state of knowledge about conception was in the past. However there's a good chance males didn't know more about it than females. So if a similar percentage of either sex knew the facts of life, one could say that both were similarly responsible if this was the criterion used.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

relatively recently? My idea of relatively recently would be 10-20 years ago...

"In 1978, the Irish Family Planning Act allowed the provision of contraceptives under prescription, and finally in 1985, condoms and spermicides could be sold without prescription."

And I'm not so sure about the indoctrination gig. Mothers are typically close to their daughters. Oh, sure, in some cases, there's room for pure ignorance, but.. general knowledge about pregnancy would surely have been available considering the high risk of dying from giving birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what really annoys me about the whole naritive is that the father is portrayed as either a rapist, incest situation or absent father whole dumps the pregnant woman . at least some of those pregnancies happened perfectly consentualy but out of wedlock and the father had no say either. the girlfriend and child were sent away

(UK)
    Children will be allowed to stay the night with their mother in prison: Ministry of Justice announces an extra 500 cells including en-suite showers will be built in existing jails

An extra 500 cells will be built in prisons to ease female inmates into normal life

The move will enable mothers to be reunited with their children behind bars

Announcement comes with a £2m boost to help steer women from life of crime
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9178359/Children-allowed-stay-night-mother-prison.html

The same won't be done for men.
    There are issues I feel more strongly about, but I thought this was worth highlighting as its explicit different treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,112 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

iptba wrote: »
    (UK)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9178359/Children-allowed-stay-night-mother-prison.html

The same won't be done for men.
    There are issues I feel more strongly about, but I thought this was worth highlighting as its explicit different treatment.

how is women having more rights than men sexisit though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

how is women having more rights than men sexisit though?

You can't be serious asking that question, if for one second you actuallly are

It's sexual discrimination. Women are being given preferential treatment based on their sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,112 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

99nsr125 wrote: »
    You can't be serious asking that question, if for one second you actuallly are

It's sexual discrimination. Women are being given preferential treatment based on their sex.

eh, sexism only works 1 way. everyone knows that.

Good old Holly is on another rant. Complaining about her being the only female TD in Cork. I'm pretty such she wasn;t the only female TD who ran and also would be pretty much female voters would have voted for the male candidates also.

Says we desperately need more females at the top table. This is something i always laugh at. Nothing to back it up or anything like that. Also as an example the The Camogie Association top table is almost if not all female and it's one of the worst run associations in Ireland!

Also on the usual female sports not getting enough coverage etc Yet if you were to go to a ladies football game etc you'd more likely to see more men than women at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Good old Holly is on another rant. Complaining about her being the only female TD in Cork. I'm pretty such she wasn;t the only female TD who ran and also would be pretty much female voters would have voted for the male candidates also.

Says we desperately need more females at the top table. This is something i always laugh at. Nothing to back it up or anything like that. Also as an example the The Camogie Association top table is almost if not all female and it's one of the worst run associations in Ireland!

Also on the usual female sports not getting enough coverage etc Yet if you were to go to a ladies football game etc you'd more likely to see more men than women at games.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument why we need more women TD's. We may need better TD's but there's no evidence so far they are 'better' than their male counterparts. Pretty mixed bag recently with some notably poor ones i.e. Maria Bailey, Josepha Madigan, Norma Foley.

givyjoe wrote: »
    I've yet to hear a convincing argument why we need more women TD's. We may need better TD's but there's no evidence so far they are 'better' than their male counterparts. Pretty mixed bag recently with some notably poor ones i.e. Maria Bailey, Josepha Madigan, Norma Foley.

Just as I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why there aren't more female candidates, and more importantly, why female voters, more often than not, prefer male candidates to female candidates (as evidenced by votes made).

The simple fact is that most women are not interested in entering politics, and few women consider female politicians to be better or more trustworthy than their male counterparts.

givyjoe wrote: »

Like always there's none. If you say otherwise you're being sexist.

Now something that probably does need to be done is getting more men into teaching, yet we never hear a word about that...

Just as I've yet to hear a convincing argument as to why there aren't more female candidates, and more importantly, why female voters, more often than not, prefer male candidates to female candidates (as evidenced by votes made).

The simple fact is that most women are not interested in entering politics, and few women consider female politicians to be better or more trustworthy than their male counterparts.

They're interested in running for a party as more often than not they won't be at a loss if not elected. That's why you see few to no independent females running.

A few years ago this wa being talked about on TV. Like him or not but John Waters on it and he asked just that. If women want to get into politics why don't they run as Independents. The answer he got was it costs a lot to run as an Independent, more or less saying they'd have no problem with running once someone else picks up the bill for them.

As I've pointed out before, women are even less likely to run as independents than for a party which shows the parties are already very much encouraging female candidates.

A column in a national newspaper today highlighting this.
    I can't bring myself to read it. But there seems to be a bias in terms of what gets reported and/or what columnists highlight.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40223318.html

I can't bring myself to read it. But there seems to be a bias in terms of what gets reported and/or what columnists highlight.

This latest thing of playing more Irish female music is just more of it. Maybe there isn't more bring played because it's just ****!

This there are no female voices etc By the large the what i would call ''the answer to a question no one asked'' are women. There are countless examples of women who feel the need to have an option on everything. There are plenty making a carrer out of it.

• Advertisement

Do some channel hopping on the radio through the day and see how much women's voices are silent. Other than Dermot and Dave see how many non-camp under 50 year old guys you'll hear on the mic.

I read it

It's painfully sexist

I think it's time to start complaining about sexism in articles.

Like that article is ridiculous

Do some channel hopping on the radio through the day and see how much women's voices are silent. Other than Dermot and Dave see how many non-camp under 50 year old guys you'll hear on the mic.

And more often than not those women are terrible. Although some stations have started to try and replace them with presenters who are actually in some way entertaing.

The likes of Anna Geary have got jobs in the media for no reason other than the fact she's female.

"Of the top 20 most-played songs by Irish artists on Irish radio between June and December 2020, a staggering 85% were male artists, according to the updated report on gender disparity compiled by the delightfully forthright Linda Coogan Byrne. The music publicist and activist got so tired of being told what women weren’t supposed to do that she founded Why Not Her?, a campaign to amplify the voices of women on radio — and beyond."

FFS, It's a consumer market, where women still make up the majority of consumer spending across nearly every western country (and quite a few others). Women seek to listen to male artists. If there's a lack of female artists, perhaps consider that the market doesn't need them? The style of music has shifted considerably over the years.

Also I'd love to know who these people are (and when) who are telling women what they're not supposed to do.. I can't imagine trying shutdown any of the women in my family or friends. They'd batter me to pieces.

Perhaps it is time to point out that women in Ireland are not, and haven't been (for a long time, or if ever), the weeping weak violets, these people like to pretend.

Tomorrow is International Day of Women and Girls in Science. It is a good time to look at those barriers and also to see how we might break them down. The Women on Walls project, which has been putting a series of portraits of women on walls since 2016, is a great way to highlight women’s often-overlooked achievements.

Genuine question. What are these barriers? As far as I can see there's far more supports for girls getting into science, than there are for boys.

And more often than not those women are terrible. Although some stations have started to try and replace them with presenters who are actually in some way entertaing.

The likes of Anna Geary have got jobs in the media for no reason other than the fact she's female.

Competence is no longer required, nor even desired.
    Between the young women and the camp guys see if they can go a whole episode without either making a mistake and reacting with "Lol OMG loike I'm so useless" or work something about how useless they are into a discussion on just about any subject.

Lottie Ryan on 2FM seems to be very feminist. I used to listen to that station at work but it has changed a lot over the last 3 years. I turned in last week and heard lottie screeching in excitement as she announced 3 female directors were nominated for some award.

Lottie is only where she is due to her fathers name in the industry. Not because of feminism.

I listen to the Official Chart Show with Blathnaid Treacy (it’s in English and Irish so it may help with my Irish). It’s not particularly feminist but occasionally she’ll say things along the lines of she’s so pleased the top three artists this week are female in a way that I’ve never heard anyone say they are so pleased the top three were male. Occasionally other similar things like it’s great to see all the great female artists coming through in Ireland.

Tomorrow is International Day of Women and Girls in Science. It is a good time to look at those barriers and also to see how we might break them down. The Women on Walls project, which has been putting a series of portraits of women on walls since 2016, is a great way to highlight women’s often-overlooked achievements.

Genuine question. What are these barriers? As far as I can see there's far more supports for girls getting into science, than there are for boys.

Their tits get in the way of the bunsen burner of course.

There are no barriers

There's a consecrated push to force girls into science because it's seen as an influential sector. I have a paper stating this, the paper was on the earnings gap but of course it calls it the pay gap

Of course ya know consent and freedom of choice is not at all relevant it seems, self determination was never mentioned and that is the greatest freedom and equity of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Their tits get in the way of the bunsen burner

Seriously?
    You think it's ok to post that ?

Advertisement