Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Will there be calls for people to stand down after the LGFA latest **** up? Seeing as most of the top people are female

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Dáil hears claims that single gender schools are contributory factor in domestic violence

”Nobody can convince me that that isn’t part of the problem,” the Dublin Bay North TD said, pointing to significant numbers of young women born since 2000 who are experiencing violence.

Bizarre rationale to try and argue that single sex schools contribute to domestic violence :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

py2006 wrote: »

Ah yes but according to women I know - “it’s a bit of fun when it’s done to men, they secretly love it!!”

Hypocrisy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Legally and socially we are expected to treat adult women as children or a person with special needs....what a time to be alive!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Dáil hears claims that single gender schools are contributory factor in domestic violence

”Nobody can convince me that that isn’t part of the problem,” the Dublin Bay North TD said, pointing to significant numbers of young women born since 2000 who are experiencing violence.

Bizarre rationale to try and argue that single sex schools contribute to domestic violence :confused:

Can you imagine a TD coming out with the sentence "There can be a toxic femininity that grows up in a single gender female school"

He'd never think of it not to mind say it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Yes, it’s not like there has been any noticeable increase in pupils/boys in single sex schools in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Can you imagine a TD coming out with the sentence "There can be a toxic femininity that grows up in a single gender female school"

Nevertheless, it is true.

The echo chamber of the female gang - aka girls' friend group.
    It exerts massive pressure on its members to conform, and mercilessly stigmatises those who break ranks.
    Naturally, this leads to a lowest-common-denominator type of groupthink.

And a terror of being seen as non-conformist, even a terror of what the others might think, a fear that they might think you think...
    That's how important groupthink is for primate females.

PS No prejudice here, just a bit of social theory. I AM a primate female!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Nevertheless, it is true.

The echo chamber of the female gang - aka girls' friend group.
    It exerts massive pressure on its members to conform, and mercilessly stigmatises those who break ranks.
    Naturally, this leads to a lowest-common-denominator type of groupthink.

And a terror of being seen as non-conformist, even a terror of what the others might think, a fear that they might think you think...
    That's how important groupthink is for primate females.

PS No prejudice here, just a bit of social theory. I AM a primate female!

You'll find if you look at single gender schools for males, that similar problems of conformity, and excessive discipline arise too. Bullying becomes rampant. As does institutional discrimination, abuse and favoritism. The issues with single gender schools are nothing new. Dead Poets society did a pretty good attempt at showing what it was like, as have a variety of other movies (from the perspective of male only schools).

The problem though is that there have been many complaints about mixed schools too, to the degree that exams/classes have been modified to help female students over male students. With the majority of teachers being female, and there have been clear research showing that female teachers often give better grades/attention to female students, the mixed schools have their own biases...

So, female only schools are bad. Mixed schools are bad unless they're altered to favor females.

This is just a further attempt to increase control, and marginalise boys in schools. It doesn't matter than the grades of males have dropped considerably since schools began favoring girls.. and we are seeing more and more articles like the above as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

KrustyUCC wrote: »

The "Nobody can convince me" bit is also worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not a smart thing to say when Raheny is his base of support where the 2 main secondary schools and many of the primary schools are single sex. He does not seem to rate his male constituents very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Marcos

I just knew it would be that muppet saying something like that.

Of course it's not like he'd jump on any bandwagon going like voting to close the Seanad and when he lost his seat at the next election emmm . . . . taking a seat in the Seanad. :rolleyes:

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

A perfect example of the hypocrisy and double standards of modern day feminism:

EqQcC5OW8AM9dbl?format=jpg&name=small

And another beauty.

EqR9-GsUYAIUTQE?format=jpg&name=small

py2006 wrote: »
    A perfect example of the hypocrisy and double standards of modern day feminism:

EqQcC5OW8AM9dbl?format=jpg&name=small

And another beauty.

EqR9-GsUYAIUTQE?format=jpg&name=small

Re not wearing masks. Form what i've seen it's more likely to be women who don't wear or not wear them right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Just stumbled across this. I remember this girl in college. We were out together and I can't remember but I said something like if you were to hit me I wouldn't even feel it. So it ended up that I said she could give me a free punch in the face.

She nearly knocked me out. It was a huge punch. I probably deserved it.

cms88 wrote: »
    Re not wearing masks. Form what i've seen it's more likely to be women who don't wear or not wear them right

Pretty much. Whenever I see groups of women out jogging, or walking/exercising, their masks are around their necks. Just the same when they're stopping to rest/stretch.. and have that long chat.. the masks are kept around their necks. Not everyone mind (since a disclaimer seems to be needed all the time here nowadays), but the majority I see (there's a popular 'green road' for walkers/cyclists that runs past my house) aren't engaging much in the way of safety.

No doubt they're really careful when they're out in public (shopping/public areas), but it makes me wonder where else would they be very lax about the precautions. My sister was complaining recently that very few parents (Male/Female.. although most were female) were wearing masks when she went to pick up her kids at the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There is no need to wear masks outdoors.

ligerdub wrote: »
    There is no need to wear masks outdoors.

There is, if you're in a group and not social distancing.

Pretty much. Whenever I see groups of women out jogging, or walking/exercising, their masks are around their necks. Just the same when they're stopping to rest/stretch.. and have that long chat.. the masks are kept around their necks. Not everyone mind (since a disclaimer seems to be needed all the time here nowadays), but the majority I see (there's a popular 'green road' for walkers/cyclists that runs past my house) aren't engaging much in the way of safety.

No doubt they're really careful when they're out in public (shopping/public areas), but it makes me wonder where else would they be very lax about the precautions. My sister was complaining recently that very few parents (Male/Female.. although most were female) were wearing masks when she went to pick up her kids at the school.

Those are the same people who drive a Range Rover and take up as much of the road outside of a school as they can.

Those are the same people who drive a Range Rover and take up as much of the road outside of a school as they can.

There's very few Range Rovers where I'm from. This isn't the case of passing blame off on to a particular income/status group. Our schools are open to all, and the vast majority in my area would be middle/working class.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    She said something like there were plenty of men in management in Paris. She made no attempt to argue the women were chosen on merit or they couldn’t find suitable men. And of course the fine was being paid by taxpayers not her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

One of the links below is a out how Covid affects women worse than men, but it starts off by saying it kills more men....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40202045.html

The Examiner's 21 'books to watch' in 2021. Eighteen are by female authors - does anyone really think it would pass without comment if the gender proportions were reversed?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsandculture/arid-40202045.html

The Examiner's 21 'books to watch' in 2021. Eighteen are by female authors - does anyone really think it would pass without comment if the gender proportions were reversed?

I was looking at some recommended lists for fantasy books 2020/2021.. and the vast majority of the market are from female authors. Publishers have gone very focused on meeting the perceived market demands of diversity, LGBTQ, etc.

So.. don't be surprised if you see a complete domination of most genres by female authors.

No Gender Bias in Peer Review: Study
    An analysis of data from nearly 150 journals across scientific disciplines finds that, if anything, manuscripts authored by women are treated more favorably than those submitted by men.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/no-gender-bias-in-peer-review-study-68320
    While female scientists publish fewer articles than their male counterparts across scientific disciplines, they also submit fewer manuscripts, and following submission, their articles were treated more favorably than men’s were.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/2/eabd0299
    Results showed that manuscripts written by women as solo authors or coauthored by women were treated even more favorably by referees and editors.

What a strange world we live in where women being treated more favourably gets translated to "no gender bias"

This blog, which isn't too long, explains "gamma bias", a term I'd come across, but hadn't understood:

There is an 18-minute video on it from the Male Psychology Conference 2019 here:

While i'm not sure this is the right place for this i'll post it anyway.

While the whole mother and baby home thing is terrible etc i can't help but feel many in the media etc are very inclined to put all the blame on men. First off i'm pretty sure there were no male nuns in the homes, also i'm pretty such all the babies that were born there wern't all girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

While the whole mother and baby home thing is terrible etc i can't help but feel many in the media etc are very inclined to put all the blame on men. First off i'm pretty much there were no male nuns in the homes, also i'm pretty such all the babies that were born there wern't all girls.

I thought that as well. I saw the tweet below and it just didn’t sit right with me. Very subtle use of language to remove any mention of male victims.

• Advertisement

While the whole mother and baby home thing is terrible etc i can't help but feel many in the media etc are very inclined to put all the blame on men. First off i'm pretty much there were no male nuns in the homes, also i'm pretty such all the babies that were born there wern't all girls.

Same. I watched some of the shows on RTE about it, where they presented the people who had been campaigning regarding unmarked graves, the deaths etc. There was a serious focus on female side of things rather than consideration to both genders. Which, I can kinda, understand TBH.. still it bothered me a little.

In addition, there was a reinforcement of the idea of women being victims in the past, rather than being responsible for their own choices in life. The attention was given to the formless/vague men who put them in that situation, as if the women had no choice in the matter at all.

No surprises TBH.

Advertisement