Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next%- the ongoing debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

So you’ve been wearing these yokes...

TbL

Can't wait for this showdown...both in your VF's :cool::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Can't wait for this showdown...both in your VF's :cool::pac:

It should be a race to sub 19 wearing those things...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It should be a race to sub 19 wearing those things...

TbL couldn’t run a sub 19 100m let alone 5k in cheat shoes......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

So you’ve been wearing these yokes...

TbL

Post #2 in this thread. Keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Murph_D wrote: »
    Post #2 in this thread. Keep up!

I’ll bate ya in these: :)

https://tenor.com/view/funinthesun-puertovallarta-neora-gif-19090555

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Has anyone approached Nike to sponsor this duel?

Treviso wrote: »
    Has anyone approached Nike to sponsor this duel?

Age Action Ireland are sponsoring the bibs, the eating ones not the running ones...

TbL

Pampers are sponsoring the shorts I hear........

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Stupid question but how do these shoes make you go faster and are there different types/levels?

I’ve worn Nike Zoom Vomero for years but I’d be prepared to try these if they genuinely worked?

Thanks

TbL

Highly recommend Saucony Endorphin Speed or Endorphin Pro.

Cheaper too.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Highly recommend Saucony Endorphin Speed or Endorphin Pro.

Cheaper too.

Jesus it appears all the auld lads have been wearing these magic carpets while I’ve been plodding around in manly breeze blocks :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Jesus it appears all the auld lads have been wearing these magic carpets while I’ve been plodding around in manly breeze blocks :)

TbL

Never mind him though C, he was on Strava this morning moaning why his sparkly white Sauconys got dirty in winter weather.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Heard Hoka might help out..

TbL

Not really - too expensive and short-lived for everyday wear. Races only, so not too much wear on mine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yevon wrote: »
    Trying to get my hands on a pair of Endorphin Pros. Can't find anywhere with them in stock!

Have you tried their UK website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I had only tried the Irish website! Thank you. :)

Alltricks.com

Alltricks.com

I’d be afraid to click on a link with that name...:)

TbL

I’d be afraid to click on a link with that name...:)

TbL

Haha trust me!

Haha trust me!

Do they sell tights?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

Trying to get my hands on a pair of Endorphin Pros. Can't find anywhere with them in stock!

Try Ready2Run Tullamore

Do they sell tights?

No idea. I'm well stocked...

• Advertisement

No idea. I'm well stocked...

Ah, just looking for some. I'm a convert :eek:

Ah, just looking for some. I'm a convert :eek:

Karrimor on sports direct. Cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Alltricks.com

I have used this site a few times now most recently to purchase my Saucony Endorphin Speeds & I have had no issues at all. They have good deals on too at certain times, got both the speeds & Novablasts a good bit cheaper than other sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭event

inthehole1 wrote: »
    Try Ready2Run Tullamore

Got a pair of Endorphin Speeds delivered today from them, ordered Friday

€160 delivered, great price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

It's more about the super spikes but Cathal Dennehy was talking about the "shoes" on OTB.

IRISH RECORD BREAKERS AND HOW NEW SHOES ARE CHANGING THE GAME

Article in the Examiner as well - Welcome to the age of the super shoes

Nike Viperfly sprint spikes shelved

Nike ‘super shoe’ shelved over fears they could have undermined Bolt’s legacy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nike-super-shoe-shelved-over-fears-they-could-have-undermined-bolts-legacy-6wv9wcdms

That headline makes it sound like Nike withdrew the shoes voluntarily. I've seen several versions of that article, all with a suspiciously similar spin. If the shoe is being withdrawn, isn't it far more likely that it was about to be banned? Meanwhile, it is still featured on the company's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

glasso wrote: »
    Nike Viperfly sprint spikes shelved

Nike ‘super shoe’ shelved over fears they could have undermined Bolt’s legacy

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nike-super-shoe-shelved-over-fears-they-could-have-undermined-bolts-legacy-6wv9wcdms

Why would Nike care as Bolt was a Puma runner so if anything Nike would prefer to break his records

• Advertisement

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Why would Nike care as Bolt was a Puma runner so if anything Nike would prefer to break his records

It was most likely not going to be approved
    Nike has shelved a “super shoe” for sprinters after rival manufacturers expressed fears that they would allow an inferior athlete to wipe out Usain Bolt’s world records.

The Nike Zoom Air Viperfly was launched 12 months ago with the sportswear giant claiming that it represented “a new paradigm of performance on the track”. It also said that the spikes were “designed specifically for the 100 metres, the truest test of pure human speed”.

Nike designed the Viperfly by borrowing technology from its record-breaking road-racing shoes, and its arrival caused widespread concern among other manufacturers, not least after one shoe company reported startling results from testing the spikes with a group of sprinters. It led to fears that the legacy of Bolt, who ran his world records over 100m and 200m in Puma spikes, could be undermined by advances in technology that have sparked serious debate across the sport.

The shoe is understood to have been tested by Christian Coleman. The American, who set his personal best of 9.76sec when winning gold at the 2019 World Championships, was rated the world’s fastest man before he was banned last October for missing three drugs tests. Bolt’s world-record time stands at 9.58.

The shoe was due for release last summer but that did not materialise. It was never put forward to World Athletics for approval and was not on the list of approved shoes published by the sport’s global governing body last August. Experts have told The Times that the shoe may not have met the new criteria for approval amid concerns that its spike plate was acting as a secondary spring.

According to Nike, the forefoot “Air Zoom unit” has been designed to provide responsiveness and energy to sprinters, particularly over the last 20 metres of the race.

Sources have indicated that a revised version of the Viperfly could yet appear before the Tokyo Olympic Games this summer.

Bolt set his 100m record at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin and broke the world record for the 200m at the same meeting with a time of 19.19. He also holds the record for the fastest 4x100m relay, running 36.84 with Nesta Carter, Michael Frater and Yohan Blake to win gold for Jamaica at the 2012 Olympics in London.

Last year, World Athletics invited manufacturers to join scientists and other experts in forming a working group on athletics shoes.

Nike, which has led the way with its revolutionary Vaporfly road shoes, has been able to produce a track shoe for longer distances that complies with the new rules. These spikes, which feature a sole as deep as 25mm, have been worn by athletes who have set some remarkable times indoors this winter.

By the summer, most manufacturers should be offering a spike to rival Nike’s, which should at least establish a level playing field for athletes who wear different brands. On the road this has happened, with records falling to runners in shoes made by other manufacturers.

Elliot Giles, the Birmingham runner, broke Sebastian Coe’s 38-year-old British indoor 800m record this week wearing the latest Nike shoe. The 26-year-old, who clocked 1:43.63 to move second on the all-time indoor list behind Wilson Kipketer, said it was an “insult” to suggest that his achievement was solely down to the shoes.

World Athletics officials are working on introducing a further dimension to the rules that focuses on energy return from shoe technology. The proposal is, however, said to be meeting resistance from manufacturers who argue that such limits could hinder innovation.

Nike has been approached for comment.

Advertisement