Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Next%- the ongoing debate

1678911

Comments



  • I've been following this thread for a while now and have been on the cusp of taking the plunge a few times but I rarely spend more than 85 quid on runners (always wait for sales, discounts etc) so the price tag is a bit off putting.

    But I am a member on a certain well known sports equipment website and have a birthday discount looming (and also have a rewards scheme at work that can be handily converted into Nike vouchers) so I'm looking at picking up a pair of Zoom Flys in the not too distant future.




  • For me anyway, I've found that in certain races when I've worn the shoes I haven't felt like I've gone to the well as much as I did in flats. Now I don't know if that's just me being a bit subjective and using a pretty small sample size as I haven't had the chance to race in the shoes over the last 12 months obviously.

    During this time I feel like I've improved to the extent that all my PB's are up for grabs when racing does return...but having said that, and I feel like I'm rambling a little and maybe not getting my point across very well, there's time in races where I've maybe held back a little and got comfy in the nice, bouncy rhythm and not attacked as much as I should have. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences.




  • healy1835 wrote: »
    For me anyway, I've found that in certain races when I've worn the shoes I haven't felt like I've gone to the well as much as I did in flats. Now I don't know if that's just me being a bit subjective and using a pretty small sample size as I haven't had the chance to race in the shoes over the last 12 months obviously.

    During this time I feel like I've improved to the extent that all my PB's are up for grabs when racing does return...but having said that, and I feel like I'm rambling a little and maybe not getting my point across very well, there's time in races where I've maybe held back a little and got comfy in the nice, bouncy rhythm and not attacked as much as I should have. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences.

    theres something in what you say alright. I think the shoes sort of interfere with the communication line between feet and brain. I think I need a certain level of discomfort to keep a high rythem going, the shoes sort of numb that, a bit like how strong pain killing drugs take away the pain but also take away 'good' feeling.




  • I got the pro's on tuesday, first time out today for 8k . Unlike the Nike bouncy things they feel really ordinary, like a pair of standard cushiony shoes. There is no feeling that your going to run any quicker or any different. I still prefer the flats as they just feel better.

    For comparison the last 3 8km's have been on the same route with 3 diff pairs of shoes, so good to see a comparison. (there were 2 dodgy K's with interuptions). Not sure which I would call faster but i'm thinking it could be the Nikes, but its not the flats.

    HR was lower in the Nikes, but the 1st k had a stoppage.

    Cadence is lower in the Nike but the avg ground contact time is far less than the other 2, strangely (?) the flats are more or less the sames as the pros for cadence and ground contact (although when you take out the dodgy dog attack KM they are the same)


    Nike % Sauc Flat End Pro Nike % Sauc Flat End Pro Nike % Sauc Flat End Pro Nike % Sauc Flat End Pro
    KM Time Time Time HR HR HR Cad Cad Cad Contact Contact Contact
    1 00:04:10 00:03:44 00:03:45 145 153 154 178 186 183 223 211 204
    2 00:03:44 00:03:46 00:03:40 153 179 168 181 188 184 193 197 204
    3 00:03:48 00:03:56 00:03:42 166 176 171 182 185 185 201 207 201
    4 00:03:55 00:03:59 00:03:41 169 176 175 181 184 185 201 212 205
    5 00:03:41 00:03:58 00:03:52 173 176 178 183 185 185 193 209 213
    6 00:03:46 00:03:57 00:04:38 174 176 167 184 184 176 195 211 241
    7 00:03:44 00:03:58 00:03:51 173 176 173 182 184 183 194 214 222
    8 00:03:29 00:03:57 00:03:42 175 177 175 184 184 184 179 208 211
    Total 00:30:17 00:31:15 00:30:51 166 173.625 170.125 181.875 185 183.125 197.375 208.625 212.625




  • Bloody hell...all these high HRs. Is there something wrong with me...:o

    I struggle to get over 150 (142-145 would be normal) on a steady 60-90 minute run. At push at the end of a hard long rep at the end of an interval session I might hit 162-165 but I am blowing up at that stage.

    Even last Saturday I had a 3 x 3km reps which hurts. Averaging 3:50 per km I never got above 159 bpm and it was not flat.

    The only time my watch shows a 177 or 187 is when there is a temporary glitch with the strap.


  • Advertisement


  • Bloody hell...all these high HRs. Is there something wrong with me...:o

    I struggle to get over 150 (142-145 would be normal) on a steady 60-90 minute run. At push at the end of a hard long rep at the end of an interval session I might hit 162-165 but I am blowing up at that stage.

    Even last Saturday I had a 3 x 3km reps which hurts. Averaging 3:50 per km I never got above 159 bpm and it was not flat.

    The only time my watch shows a 177 or 187 is when there is a temporary glitch with the strap.

    Everyone's max HR is different. It doesn't really mean anything if your max is 200 or 170. With training, your resting HR can be lowered, however, meaning your range is greater.




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Everyone's max HR is different. It doesn't really mean anything if your max is 200 or 170. With training, your resting HR can be lowered, however, meaning your range is greater.


    Oh yeah I get that. It is just interesting to compare but as you say everyone is different.




  • OOnegative wrote: »
    TbL couldn’t run a sub 19 100m let alone 5k in cheat shoes......

    Your boots quaking yet?




  • Your boots quaking yet?

    Why would my boots be quaking?




  • OOnegative wrote: »
    Why would my boots be quaking?

    Looking like you might eat those words. I hadn't realised Tbl had a pacer and all lined up. Never mind B, I had just read this thread then his log and awkwardly connected dots.


  • Advertisement


  • Looking like you might eat those words. I hadn't realised Tbl had a pacer and all lined up. Never mind B, I had just read this thread then his log and awkwardly connected dots.

    My comment you quoted was a joke & wasn’t meant for anyone to be quaking in there boots or for words to be eaten. I know full well what C is capable of and he proved it emphatically yesterday.




  • OOnegative wrote: »
    My comment you quoted was a joke & wasn’t meant for anyone to be quaking in there boots or for words to be eaten. I know full well what C is capable of and he proved it emphatically yesterday.

    I realised that. Can't do smilies on the mobile site :-( too true it was a testament to Tbl and the shoes. I've yet to try them out so very curious indeed.

    Getting back on topic it looks like the Next%2 is will be a cheaper price point. Maybe something to do with all the Alphaflys in store and scarcity of other brand super shoes?




  • Sorry for the minor derail but has anyone bought directly from Hoka since Brexit made a balls of shopping without worry?
    Their shipments to Ireland are handled by Global-e and I can't get a straight answer out of them about where they ship from




  • Sorry for the minor derail but has anyone bought directly from Hoka since Brexit made a balls of shopping without worry?
    Their shipments to Ireland are handled by Global-e and I can't get a straight answer out of them about where they ship from

    Not Hoka, but Inov8 and the order was fulfilled by Global-e.
    As promised, no extra VAT or duty on my order (value €180) - can't say where it shipped from, but obviously customs was taken care of properly by the sender.

    (On the same note, Amazon UK seems to have most of their vendors in order - i.e. they are removing UK VAT and applying the Irish VAT so no surprises on delivery)




  • Yes, TBH I would rather better my 5k/10k PB in my regular shoes so that I know I have really improved - however come race day, I'd prefer not to be giving 30 secs or more advantage to others in my age group!

    So took 20 seconds off my (over-50) 10k PB last week wearing the Tempo Next%, down to 41:30. Doesn't feel like an honest PB though. I'm 4 years older, haven't done any interval work since December, and my honest expectation would have been around 42:30 based on recent training efforts.

    TBH at 41:50 it was a soft target given a 5k of 19:11 the same season, I just never seemed to get a good crack at it through injury or weather on race day (and I've twice ran 10 miles at the same pace in the meantime).

    Funny thing while pushing hard in the later stages was my calves feeling almost flaccid, rather than the usual tightening up. And I felt zero after effects from the effort, no stiffness or DOMS straight out for my long run next morning.

    No doubting the benefit of the shoes for me - I'll be putting them aside while I do a block of interval training and take a crack at my 10k, 10 mile and half-mar times in a couple of months.




  • Sorry for the minor derail but has anyone bought directly from Hoka since Brexit made a balls of shopping without worry?
    Their shipments to Ireland are handled by Global-e and I can't get a straight answer out of them about where they ship from


    Try Ready2run in tullamore I found them Great to Deal with and only 5 euro delivery




  • Sorry for the minor derail but has anyone bought directly from Hoka since Brexit made a balls of shopping without worry?
    Their shipments to Ireland are handled by Global-e and I can't get a straight answer out of them about where they ship from
    I ordered a pair of Mach 4's 3 weeks ago and had no issue. Just looked at the tracking and delivery originated in Holland (NL).




  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/56489744.amp

    Dewi Griffiths - free time but it's a level playing field




  • Wottle wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/56489744.amp

    Dewi Griffiths - free time but it's a level playing field

    Don't think anyone would argue anymore about the first bit. The level playing field, considering the cost of the shoes (for people who don't get them for free) is a bit more questionable.




  • New version of the Next% is available now on the Nike app for members.

    €249.99


  • Advertisement


  • corcaigh07 wrote: »
    New version of the Next% is available now on the Nike app for members.

    €249.99

    Old version on Alltricks for 220 too by the way.




  • Old version on Alltricks for 220 too by the way.

    Are they not 198 with the code SWASHBUCKLER10 at checkout?




  • skyblue46 wrote: »
    Are they not 198 with the code SWASHBUCKLER10 at checkout?

    :D
    That's my own special code that Alltricks created for my personal account.




  • :D
    That's my own special code that Alltricks created for my personal account.

    You're missing a trick here P. All the online influencers have their own code so they get a commission on all the sales they direct to a site. You'd be rolling in it €€€€€€




  • Old version on Alltricks for 220 too by the way.

    Alltricks not shipping to Ireland now? "We cannot ship an item / items due to restrictions"




  • demfad wrote: »
    Alltricks not shipping to Ireland now? "We cannot ship an item / items due to restrictions"

    Hmm. Weird.. I got my Next% on Monday.




  • Hmm. Weird.. I got my Next% on Monday.

    Jaysis........ You’ve issues man!!!!!!




  • OOnegative wrote: »
    Jaysis........ You’ve issues man!!!!!!

    Early Birthday present.... :D




  • Hmm. Weird.. I got my Next% on Monday.
    My fault. I auto-filled the order and it didn't recognise the auto-filled 'Ireland' thus the error. Once I selected it from the country dropdown, all was OK. They are on the way!

    Have another observation regarding super shoes that are quite different eg Endorphin speed vs Hoka One One Carbon2.

    I was doing most of my running in the Suacony's and then switched to the Hokas for their first run. Hokas ran a looot slower for me.
    Anyway did a few runs on the Hokas, got the hang of them and then did a session in the Saucony's (threshold). Opposite result but same pattern, this time Saucony's running a lot slower!


  • Advertisement


  • demfad wrote: »
    My fault. I auto-filled the order and it didn't recognise the auto-filled 'Ireland' thus the error. Once I selected it from the country dropdown, all was OK. They are on the way!

    Have another observation regarding super shoes that are quite different eg Endorphin speed vs Hoka One One Carbon2.

    I was doing most of my running in the Suacony's and then switched to the Hokas for their first run. Hokas ran a looot slower for me.
    Anyway did a few runs on the Hokas, got the hang of them and then did a session in the Saucony's (threshold). Opposite result but same pattern, this time Saucony's running a lot slower!

    Are you sure it’s not yourself that’s running slower. ;)


Advertisement