Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options
  • 01-02-2021 9:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

541696.png

A Link to the Past!
    And a Link to it's Past!
    And a Link to it's Past!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Welcome to the new A&R gets thread.
    We just finished painting in here, so take off those mucky shoes and don't be stinking the place up!

I still think Rotten got com is the real winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Got an IPS modded GBA today!

JCMTuBd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Sterling logo work my good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Fresh in from the Netherlands, Shinobi X on the saturn. :)

I sold my original copy which was great condition and regretted it. But this one might be even better, near flawless! It's always difficult to tell with the cardboard Saturn games, so I'm pleased to see it.

IMG-20210202-175555-4.jpg

Its not better than shinobi 3, but it's still very good. Another weird few twists from Sega on a franchise. It got a superior soundtrack in Europe versus the other versions (called Shinobi Legions).

The icing on the cake is the fmv stuff dotted throughout the game, just amazingly cheesy. They definitely took a leaf out of those million "ninja" films from the 80's which are hilarious with a few friends around. So bad they're good, have you in tears :)

For comparison (check the star wars rip off music at the start too)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely love that game, anything that combines that level of cheese and ninjas is good with me.

It actually plays a lot better than I was expecting it to aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye....was slated at the time in a lot of quarters, but I remember picking it up on release and wondering why people hated it so much. I suppose it has found an appreciation over the years, with the cheese only adding to its value.
    Dynamite soundtrack (on the PAL release anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

next week after years and years I'll finally add something to my life that i have been coveting.....

....by the end of this month....I will have my very own pantry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

next week after years and years I'll finally add something to my life that i have been coveting.....

The absolute first step, is to line it with gold wallpaper...

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    The absolute first step, is to line it with gold wallpaper...

Bit of a reference photo for you here Jack Burton, I found this shade of gold goes best with cabinets...

IMG-0048.jpg

God that's an old photo, my control panel still even had that old SNK schlong button layout!

• Advertisement

Welcome to the big boys club :cool:

Next step.

Night gown and degausing wand (sleeping hat optional)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

McDermotX wrote: »
    Aye....was slated at the time in a lot of quarters, but I remember picking it up on release and wondering why people hated it so much. I suppose it has found an appreciation over the years, with the cheese only adding to its value.
    Dynamite soundtrack (on the PAL release anyway).

It's an absolutely shockingly ugly game especially when digitised sprites were well past their sell by date and everyone was looking to 3D. Still think it plays really well but then again this is an era where amazing 2D games like Rapid Reload/Gunners Heaven were savaged while singing the praises of uninspired stuff like Crash Bandicoot or.... Pandemonium!.

Master of the Universe

Found another use for that Ikea filing cabinet I posted on the other get thread, they're actually great for storing loose catridges. The drawer is pretty much the depth of a snes cart.

Can fit about 30 Snes carts in a drawer, so about 180 in a total unit.

snes-carts.jpg

It's an Ikea Helmer for anyone that's interested, only 30 quid!

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/helmer-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-10251045/

I have about 100 more loose snes carts so think I might clear out a few more drawers and lash the rest of them in.

Should be great at keeping them in good condition too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got an old set of office drawers, where my N64/Snes and PS games live.
    It *just* about fits them all.
    My better half bought me a bunch of plastic storage things, so I will be trying to find a home for everything current before I embark on more purchasing.
    In fairness, there is stuff there that has barely been touched (as the priest said to the nun)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Out with the old and in with the new.
    My old Amiga 600 1MB trapdoor expansion on the left and the new 1MB expansion with clock on the right. The old one worked fine, but there's a slight bend in it and I just don't fully trust it anymore.

y5fO0jl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Out with the old and in with the new.
    My old Amiga 600 1MB trapdoor expansion on the left and the new 1MB expansion with clock on the right. The old one worked fine, but there's a slight bend in it and I just don't fully trust it anymore.
    Should you want to sell the old expansion (Chip Memory?), let me know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Should you want to sell the old expansion (Chip Memory?), let me know :D

It'll be going into one of my other backup Amiga 600's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

Well I got a couple of jigsaws!

Going to put one on my mame cab

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Picked this up after a friend told me about it. Looking forward to reading a bit about consoles outside of the usual Nintendo, Sega, Playstation etc.

j6T5AQg.jpg

fEuLP2I.jpg

YkcQcfM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Seeing the Neptune. Did those lads who were making that end up doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Not strictly a new get but an unearthing.

Dug out a load of original* ps2 discs from the attic which probably haven't seen the light of day since 2006 when I switched allegiance to Microsoft and the xbox 360

* The cold air in the attic seems to have caused the disc artwork to fade over the years. Luckily I had the foresight to write the name of each game in permanent marker which ironically didn't fade

PXL-20210206-151733292.jpg

I know, I look with amazement at the various dusty cakes of CDRs and DVDRs stuck in the darkest corners of the gamesroom, only the titles give it away... Radiant Silvergun, Tokyo Bus Guide, Star Control II and some 888in1 CD for the Amiga 32!
    I know I should just toss them all out, but I just can't!

Master of the Universe

After recently getting into the whole ODE thing, I threw an absolute rake of CDRs in the bin. Was going to hang onto them even just for nostalgia sake (sure they're 'retro' themselves now at this point!) but saw sense in the end. :D

Cakes and cakes of Wii and Xbox games already found the bottom of the bin here a while ago.
    I think the first to go were the ones from the 90s, back when we all modded our Playstations.
    I remember my first playthrough of Metal Gear Solid was a dodgy Japanese copy.
    Because it came on a CDr with no back cover... no clue to be found for that puzzle, so I was stuck for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Kinda retro related, Fangamer was doing a SMT Nocturne long sleeve top. Heard mixed on the remaster but looking forward to it

EtoLve6WQAE_8hG?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I remember my first playthrough of Metal Gear Solid was a dodgy Japanese copy.
    Because it came on a CDr with no back cover... no clue to be found for that puzzle, so I was stuck for ages!

I had a legit copy and couldn't figure it out.

I totally over thought it and was looking at all the serial and barcode numbers on the box and putting them in. It was only when I went through and called every combination of numbers on the codec and found it that I realised I was an idiot and it was in the screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Speaking of ninja’s and cheese I picked this up a couple of months ago on the gba , Great game and the difficulty on the later levels is insane but I loved every minute of it recommended for a play through .

04-CBB2-A0-BBB3-4219-8-D1-E-961-C29858275.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

A couple of NES carts, have had metroid on my list for a while.

IMAG2254.jpg

IMAG2255.jpg

Just arrived courtesy of Kerbdog...
    My new Colecovision controller!
    Just tested it, works like a charm and games are so much better with a proper controller.
    Also, plugged in to the console itself, is the cheap and cheerful Coleco multicart, now with dip-switch power!

542776.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone recommend a good/not to expensive step down converter, am using a cheap mercury one from ebay at the minute and looking to upgrade.

Advertisement