Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Knowing nothing about these, do you know if deinterlacer turns 480i into a solid 480p, or does it downscale the image to 240p?

Would be really lovely to have something which removes all of the interlaced flicker from PS2 arcade games and puts them in their correct 240p... although it would also be nice to have a device that turns 480i into 480p!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I got a Retrotink 5x yesterday and while it’s a great device, I have buyers remorse.

MVG released a good YouTube review of it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

o1s1n wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about these, do you know if deinterlacer turns 480i into a solid 480p, or does it downscale the image to 240p?

Would be really lovely to have something which removes all of the interlaced flicker from PS2 arcade games and puts them in their correct 240p... although it would also be nice to have a device that turns 480i into 480p!

The deinterlacer turns 480i into 480p as far as I know. Most of my PS2 games are still at my parent’s place but I should have access to them soon so I can find something to test with.

Downscaling to 240p will require more hardware. HDMI to component to RGBS might take two extra decides in the chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wikidy wrote: »
    MVG released a good YouTube review of it yesterday.

Yeah pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just got a GameCube (with SCART cable) and a Path PS2 from eddhorse.

Already got McBoot working for the PS2 - 'Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes' doesn't compare well at all to the Dreamcast/Naomi versions.
    GameCube has a SP2 so I can finally try out a SD2SP2 and whatever delights I missed on the system :)

• Advertisement

I’ve got a spare SD2SP2 you can have if you want it.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Just got a GameCube (with SCART cable) and a Path PS2 from eddhorse.

Already got McBoot working for the PS2 - 'Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes' doesn't compare well at all to the Dreamcast/Naomi versions.
    GameCube has a SP2 so I can finally try out a SD2SP2 and whatever delights I missed on the system :)

Best of luck with them , hope they get more use with you than they did with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I guess kinda retro, DP came out for in 2010 so 11 years old, I got this gorgeous poster as well, they do some amazing pieces
    https://www.geek-art.net/a-j-hateley-video-games-covers/
    https://gametee.co.uk/collections/aj-hateley

E1s0Rg2WYAEsTQx?format=jpg&name=largeE1s0Rg2WYAEsTQx?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Finally got my 2 Sinden Lightguns this week.
    Spent the last 4 days trying to get them actually working on my TV via RetroPie. Realised my TV brightness was too low for the gun camera to pick up the border. Frustrating to only figure this out at the end of a long weekend!

At least now i just have to pick some games to play on the Pi now!

Couple recoil models finally dropped in the door yesterday for myself so good to see some progress being made at last on their deliveries.
    Probably not gonna get a chance to test them out till next week though :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

A box of stuff arrived From Japan the other day. Not that I need more GameBoys but I wanted a box for the GameBoy colour and have been looking for a GameBoy camera for a while

D8-D9-E486-488-F-497-F-B7-B2-6-B8-CC2-F7-B59-F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

McDermotX wrote: »
    Couple recoil models finally dropped in the door yesterday for myself so good to see some progress being made at last on their deliveries.
    Probably not gonna get a chance to test them out till next week though :mad:

I'd say get onto the Discord group, if you can.
    The guns themselves are grand but the software/emulators need a lot of configuration to get up and running. There's a wiki page but at the moment all the guides are relatively basic so it's good to have the discord to fall back on, and the people in it are very good for giving help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up a few bits from Cosmic Smash today,
    Densha de Go controller and Densha de Go 2 for the DC as well as a couple of game controllers.
    Also got a bonus Scorpion 2 light gun, so thanks for that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Got these pcbs recently, taito superman and Atari Tetris. The best Superman game ever made (and it's just about okay, basic but a great version of the theme music). Tetris is Tetris, the pcb is easily the smallest I've ever seen.

IMG-20210524-170359-7.jpg

More fun was messing with a Trinitron. Only recently got this even though I bought it last year (thanks pandemic). Really impressed!

The biggest surprise is the sound quality, absolutely thumping bass that shakes the table it's on. Great, crisp image. Will be getting a few proper rgb cables for consoles next. All nice :)

IMG-20210524-164622-2.jpg

IMG-20210524-164723-1-2.jpg

Goodies... I'm still waiting on a boxed JPN Saturn, but I did a new wireless controller which arrived the same day as my 8BitDo SNES controllers!

554085.jpeg

This one took WEEKS using regular post from Japan, but it was cheap so I can't complain.

It's a really hard, annoying game but I still like it. Side B has a Mahjong game that says "tea time" when you pause it but I can't read Japanese or play Mahjong.

554086.jpeg

554087.jpeg

I'm still trying to fix my PAL switched Saturn, but in a moment of madness, I decided I wanted a JPN Saturn. So here it is connected to a RetroTink 5x. Looks pretty sweet!!

554148.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still trying to fix my PAL switched Saturn, but in a moment of madness, I decided I wanted a JPN Saturn. So here it is connected to a RetroTink 5x. Looks pretty sweet!!

554148.jpeg

Not so subtle, look at me rare games post.

You're dirt unless you have Hyperduel and Taromaru anyway (*looks longingly at Battle Garegga*)

If I can’t show off to people who “get it” then am I even really a gamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Was the Saturn expensive? Wouldn't mind adding a grey one to the collection, unless they're north of €200...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Goodies... I'm still waiting on a boxed JPN Saturn, but I did a new wireless controller which arrived the same day as my 8BitDo SNES controllers!

554085.jpeg

This one took WEEKS using regular post from Japan, but it was cheap so I can't complain.

It's a really hard, annoying game but I still like it. Side B has a Mahjong game that says "tea time" when you pause it but I can't read Japanese or play Mahjong.

554086.jpeg

554087.jpeg

Did you just rob my TV?? (Slightly different model)

All Saturn stuff is cool to see but I really don't like those bloody new Saturn pads, not because they're no good, because they clog up my searches for original stuff, blergh

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Was the Saturn expensive? Wouldn't mind adding a grey one to the collection, unless they're north of €200...

It was €179 + 30 shipping from an eBay seller in Italy so arrived quick and no import mess.
    Gradius wrote: »
    Did you just rob my TV?? (Slightly different model)

All Saturn stuff is cool to see but I really don't like those bloody new Saturn pads, not because they're no good, because they clog up my searches for original stuff, blergh

If I could rob another I would! I've had that TV for decades!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »

Depends if you want it fully boxed or not really. Console only should be dirt cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What are you running the Saturn through before the tv?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Depends if you want it fully boxed or not really. Console only should be dirt cheap.

Not anymore. They've shot up in price recently.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    What are you running the Saturn through before the tv?

RetroTink 5x

RetroTink 5x

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I never played a Saturn. Never even seen one in real life.

They were rare enough in my circle growing up.

Always ment to pick one up but the nostalgia factor has made me constantly put it on the back burner for other stuff I played

Master of the Universe

Drexel_3 wrote: »

Always ment to pick one up but the nostalgia factor has made me constantly put it on the back burner for other stuff I played

Pick one up with a Fenrir ODE, few of them going on eBay.

It has an absolutely amazing library which is prohibitively expensive if you want to buy legit copies. One console I only have about twenty or so games for, everything else is played from ODE images!

Drexel_3 wrote: »

I didn't get a Saturn until MUCH later. Despite playing a lot of Megadrive with my mates, my first Sega console was a Dreamcast! I was (and still am) a Nintendo fanboy.

That got me into Sega stuff, and access to traditional shooters was what enticed me to buy a Saturn.

Some games look super janky, but it's still a great console.

Master of the Universe

It's only really janky if you are more into 3D, the 2D library is absolutely amazing and still stands up. My go to for Battle Garegga for example is the Saturn port, it's excellent.

Love the Elevator Action Returns port too.

• Advertisement

Saturn is one of the best retro purchases I've ever made. Bought it for Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun. Didn't expect to find that the rest of the library is absolutely incredible and full of so many excellent games.

It was so much fun discovering games I never heard about and uncovering some really top class action games. It's a great pick up and play console because of all the action and arcade games on it.

Bernie Stollar and his no RPGs and no 2D games policy really screwed over the saturn in the west. It was never going to beat the PS1 but could have been a viable second console and had maybe N64 levels of success.

Advertisement