Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That's an interesting colour! Definitely handy to have something like that in the living room alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,428 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

After a year of having it on my eBay watch list with no luck, my childhood VCR finally turned up - a 1986 Mitsubishi HS337.

Nabbed it for 25 gbp, apparently it's in great condition and still working.

My original one from back in the day was a workhorse, my old sheepdog peed in the tape deck slot and it kept working for years after. Always regret getting rid of it. Now if I can just find the bloody TV to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    After a year of having it on my eBay watch list with no luck, my childhood VCR finally turned up - a 1986 Mitsubishi HS337.

Nabbed it for 25 gbp, apparently it's in great condition and still working.

My original one from back in the day was a workhorse, my old sheepdog peed in the tape deck slot and it kept working for years after. Always regret getting rid of it. Now if I can just find the bloody TV to go with it!

Hopefully it will work after it ships.
    I'm sure that panasonic VCR I bought and posted a while back from eBay UK just needs the mode switch realigned, I still haven't got around to trying to repair it mind you.
    And my VHS buzz at the time of buying has sort of worn off now a few years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Doge wrote: »
    H
    And my VHS buzz at the time of buying has sort of worn off now a few years later!

Maybe you just need your head cleaned? Failing that, try adjusting your tracking....

(man I do NOT miss VHS)

Master of the Universe

Hopefully it will work after it ships.
    I'm sure that panasonic VCR I bought and posted a while back from eBay UK just needs the mode switch realigned, I still haven't got around to trying to repair it mind you.

Yeah I probably won't really use it too much, just be nice to have one under the TV again! Has a scart in and out so I might run it through my video chain for the craic to record some games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I probably won't really use it too much, just be nice to have one under the TV again! Has a scart in and out so I might run it through my video chain for the craic to record some games.

I remember having x2 VHS players chained together to be able to duplicate tapes. Then macrovision came alone and ruined the party...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Having a VHS player under the TV is more hipster than bringing a mechanical typewriter to your favourite coffee shop.

Get back in your pantry with your notions o1s1n!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have 6 VHS players at the moment haha

Funny how VHS is a huge collection scene now. Just a short ten years ago this was the standard

https://youtu.be/-z4iw8Ppo1o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've more VHS players than I probably should have as well. Not 6, but probably 3-4. I picked up an Bang and Olufsen one a few years back hoping it'd be the Rolls Royce of VHS, its decent but nothing above a decent Sony really.

I only have them for video capture at this stage for bits and pieces I might get from Japan etc.

I have 6 VHS players at the moment haha

Funny how VHS is a huge collection scene now. Just a short ten years ago this was the standard

https://youtu.be/-z4iw8Ppo1o

Are you going to make a new video :pac:?

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Maybe you just need your head cleaned? Failing that, try adjusting your tracking....

(man I do NOT miss VHS)

When I put in a tape the rewind of fast forward light lights up and spazzes out a bit so I think it's an issue with the mode switch after being transported from the UK.

I had a technics cassette tape arrive from the UK also with one of the cogs disengaged but managed to fix that.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I picked up an Bang and Olufsen one a few years back hoping it'd be the Rolls Royce of VHS, its decent but nothing above a decent Sony really.

"Panasonic is best mechanics." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

"Panasonic is best mechanics." :D

Marko is a legend :D

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Marko is a legend :D

You can always trust electronics advice from a man that has a PSU in his sink! :D

And I thought I was the only one that watched his other videos!

I love those videos.

He ****ing hates Phillips VCRs I'll tell you that much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

thats an amazing video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Got this replacement daughter board for the nintendo red tent/unisystem. To put it simply, it allows you to bypass the security system by re-using the chips from other games.

In the picture below there's a genuine Castlevania on the right, and a super Mario Bros on the left, but now I'm able to use the Mario security chip to play Gradius and The Goonies.

Gradius is as nails hard as I remember, very good shoot em up from the dawn of time. The power up system would be used in a lot of other Konami games that share the same universe like nemesis/thundercross/salamander.

The goonies is a new one to me, will have a good go of it after getting blown up a few more hundred times in Gradius. It has a shockingly good 8 bit version of a Cyndi Lauper song :p

Sloth love Chunk :)

IMG-20210319-163852-8.jpg

IMG-20210319-173203-5.jpg

IMG-20210319-174157-6.jpg

Nostalgia blast, can you spot the arcade machines in the intro here? I can identify two

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Goonies is meant to be great. Never gave it a proper go. Jeremy Parish is always singing its praise and it's more in line with Konami MSX games of the time. Only got a western release at the time as a vs board. There's a sequel on the NES which is a great proto metroidvania.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Goonies is meant to be great. Never gave it a proper go. Jeremy Parish is always singing its praise and it's more in line with Konami MSX games of the time. Only got a western release at the time as a vs board. There's a sequel on the NES which is a great proto metroidvania.

I don't get to play much of these systems these days, but it's a nice distraction :) I'll have a go of the goonies, then swap to the other side for Castlevania. Castlevania gets tough on the fourth level, haven't managed to beat Frankenstein and his midget yet.

Goonies is actually very good, it has elements of the metroidvania thing where it's non linear, so I suppose it makes sense that they'd add to that for the sequel.

Gradius wrote: »
    I don't get to play much of these systems these days, but it's a nice distraction :) I'll have a go of the goonies, then swap to the other side for Castlevania. Castlevania gets tough on the fourth level, haven't managed to beat Frankenstein and his midget yet.

Pro-tip: hang on to the holy water. It destroys every boss.

Also the weapon multipliers which are pretty much essential drop when you kill a certain amount of enemies with sub weapons so get used to using your subweapons more so you can snag them.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pro-tip: hang on to the holy water. It destroys every boss.

Also the weapon multipliers which are pretty much essential drop when you kill a certain amount of enemies with sub weapons so get used to using your subweapons more so you can snag them.

Yeah makes sense. You get so used to "whip candle, collect heart, whip candle collect heart, whip candle change weapon...sh*t!"

:P

Not retro but just got a wide format printer.

39LyTY5.jpg

It's currently not printing. But spoke to a friend who worked in a print shop for 10 years and convinced me I can get it going again. My guess is clogged heads from non use. It was cheap enough that worst case scenario I can make most of my money back from parts. Hope that's not the case though

Came with a load of ink too. So all going well I'll be able to hopefully run off some arcade artwork for folks here

I'll know more once I get it out of my van. Things a beast! Not something I can just fire on the handtruck either, don't want to break anything. Need to wait for backup to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Couple of more NES games. The Zelda 2 cart is in fantastic condition, only downside was it's the first ebay UK buy I've made this year and didn't notice the additional import charge...

IMAG2324.jpg

IMAG2325.jpg

After years of searching in vain, finally managed to snag an outrigger panel, always loved this game on the dc and its great to be finally able to play it as intended

IMG-20210331-214657.jpg

When you see a Mozie get you know its going to be something good!

Master of the Universe

Nice! Such a unique panel, have always wanted to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That panel and game looks awesome , well played sir.

Got dropped in a bag of games off a mate into work

KkxmvXL.jpg

Common enough stuff.... Except for Path of Radiance.

Have you seen the price that goes for now!?!

Nice haul.

Also if you do plan to play it play it on the easiest setting. That's the 'Normal' setting in the japanese release. They renamed Normal and Hard to Easy and Normal in the original release and well with Fire Emblem having an insane difficulty as standard you can imagine how much frustration that caused at release.

• Advertisement

Yeah I knew it was a pricey one but not that much. I won't be selling it anyway. Well not until it's worth €5000 in 20 years? That's how it works right?

Actually have a decent N64 collection now, all donations, haven't bought a single one. I must get an everdrive for it and some decent hookups because I have a want to play some of the games for it now. Game I have are pal so probably crippled compared to the NTSC stuff

Advertisement