Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dickie10 wrote: »
    thats Moyglare rd Maynooth, just inside Meath border?

I have a video from that exact spot in March 2018 :pac:

https://streamable.com/p943zj

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

I have a video from that exact spot in March 2018 :pac:

https://streamable.com/p943zj

Very close but you were on the other side of the River Rye in that video so in Kildare :p The field in question in the photo does flood quite regularly though. I've seen that "puddle" many a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

241mm of rain so far recorded in Newport since the start of the year. We had more rain overnight here in Mayo and it is still raining outside at present but it has lightened off at least for the time being.
    A measure of the grim and grey weather conditions of the last five days including today, is that last Saturday was my favourite of the lot. It was still a largely dull and overcast day with a raw east wind. The temperature never got up much above 4 degrees here but at least it was dry. Foothpaths and roads dried up for a while which was nice to see although the lawn and surrounding land remained sodden and continues to do so. It was nice to be pottering around outside in the garden but you needed to be well wrapped up.
    The model watching and its associated drama and commentary has been good fun to watch and a nice distraction. Looking forward to a pattern change of some sort to try and get out of this damp, grey rut we seem to be stuck in. If this anticipated easterly or north easterly brings some blue skies to these parts, I will be pleased. If we manage to squeeze a bit of sneachta out of it- even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

A nice dry morning in South Kildare for a change with a teeny bit of sunshine breaking through every now and then. Even that makes a big difference to morale. I'll make the most of it because rain is forecast for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    A measure of the grim and grey weather conditions of the last five days including today, is that last Saturday was my favourite of the lot. It was still a largely dull and overcast day with a raw east wind. The temperature never got up much above 4 degrees here but at least it was dry. Foothpaths and roads dried up for a while which was nice to see although the lawn and surrounding land remained sodden and continues to do so. It was nice to be pottering around outside in the garden but you needed to be well wrapped up.

Same here, Saturday was still grim but I remarked at the time that it was the first time in weeks I'd briefly seen dry concrete and roads

Still raining today in Donegal as well, don't think I've even caught a glimpse of the sun since the 24th of Jan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

5th day in a row without any sunshine, at least that will hopefully change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

5th day in a row without any sunshine, at least that will hopefully change soon.

Dont I know. Waiting for the Deep Cold Blue Sky Next Week...Diamond Dust in the air....Everything frozen....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is a big improvement over the past 5 days of cloud and rain. We've even had a few glimpses of milky sunshine. Hopefully I will avoid any showers that are going to escape with a dry day, the ground really needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Almost spring like today walking the dog. A bit of heat in the sun and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

highdef wrote: »
    Very close but you were on the other side of the River Rye in that video so in Kildare :p The field in question in the photo does flood quite regularly though. I've seen that "puddle" many a time.

Tis much bigger now though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Almost spring like today walking the dog. A bit of heat in the sun and all

Wet and cold in Galway, feels much colder than 7.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Lashing on and off over in D17,wife said its dull and dry in D15

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Lovely morning in Cork today :) hopefully this is the start of a week respite from endless rain

Fingers and toes crossed! Got out on the bike for a few hours and it was far windier than I was expecting, but a lovely day, and great to see some sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭4Ad

A Gloomy 6.8c in East Clare all day..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Emme wrote: »
    Some of us in the east coast don't have mountains for the rain to run down into the sea. For example Meath and Kildare. The ground in parts of Meath and Kildare has never been as waterlogged in living memory as it is now.

Most parts of the west are quite flat with very few mountains or hills away from the coastal fringes, which may explain why we get hit badly by floodings when the rains do get heavier.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Still some snow lying at 300 metres. It is 2c and sleety rain there.

Snowline is probably 1000 feet higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Heavy rain for the last few hours in meath, it just couldnt stay dry for 1 whole day

snowdepth_20210204_00_222.jpg.bf2337c6161dfdf490e4917b10924133.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Only 240 hrs for that chart to materialise!

Don't take that chart too seriously, as its very liable to change, but i think we would be happy if this turned out to be accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Don't take that chart too seriously, as its very liable to change, but i think we would be happy if this turned out to be accurate!

It’s will be very interesting how this plays out from Monday on. The East looks primed at first until Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Whilst it is great to see a cold spell coming in, any snow appears to be restricted to the east. I'm expecting nothing in Donegal or Sligo. We never do well with these setups. But look if we get a few hard drying cold days, it's better than the rain and drizzle and the ground is fairly sodden here.

I don't like these battlefront scenarios that some are talking about midweek. 99%of the time if you have a front moving up giving wet heavy snow, you know there's milder air behind it and any accumulations will be gone in a few hours. I'd prefer a good blast from the North.

Northerlies give a more fair covering of snow over a wider area. These easterlies don’t give us much snow up here as the sea track from GB is a lot shorter.

It’s hopeless. The best I can see for me is some snizzle from a weak shower that manages to make it this far.

If winds turn NE we could possibly see some snow

The milder air has gone far further north than forecasted. We were only supposed to reach 5c it is now 8c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Almost a hint of spring there today. Bit of birdsong and it’s bright and dry. Bring on the spring and summer and some dry warm sunny weather. It’s really what the country needs this year above any other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Northerlies give a more fair covering of snow over a wider area. These easterlies don’t give us much snow up here as the sea track from GB is a lot shorter.

It’s hopeless. The best I can see for me is some snizzle from a weak shower that manages to make it this far.

If winds turn NE we could possibly see some snow

The thing is for most of us here on this forum, northerlies are not much good for the vast majority of the republic. Donegal, parts of Sligo and perhaps Mayo can do well from them but the showers die out over Northern Ireland on their way here and much of Leinster, Munster and even large parts of Connaught remains dry. A northerly with polar lows is a completely different story however and unfortunately these more unstable northerlies are rare as hens teeth.

The republic usually does better overall from an easterly or north-easterly as it can affect large parts of Leinster into Munster, the midlands and the north-west can tap into this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice day here in Castlebar.light winds. Feeling mild out and about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Almost a hint of spring there today. Bit of birdsong and it’s bright and dry. Bring on the spring and summer and some dry warm sunny weather. It’s really what the country needs this year above any other.

yes because good weather will reduce peoples activity? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement