Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The Met Office has some interesting forecasts. Benbradagh (465m) as an example, seems to sit around freezing all week.

Gives a good insight into the freezing level and where snow will fall.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcg0e9zn4#?date=2021-02-03

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gonzo wrote: »
    There's been barely any letup since Friday afternoon. Garden, driveway and fields nearby waterlogged, side roads flooded. It's up there with the daily deluges during Autumn 2019. This is turning out to be a horrible winter.
    Yes a very poor winter in terms of rainfall. It’s mad I was looking back at spring 2020, in the whole of March, April and May combined there was only 54mm of rain at Dublin airport. Quite extraordinary for a 3 month period. What I wouldn’t give for a repeat of that again this year after the winter that has been. On the one positive from the winter we have had about 4-5 days with snowfall lying on the ground with the recent snow from a week or two ago quite memorable (in our part of Dublin). For the most part it’s been wet though but much colder than the last 2 winters

It bates all, this is our 3rd winter in a mobile home and we're used to dealing with the cold and damp but this winter its on another level. Id say the mains water is a few degrees lower than last year. Usually there'd be a good drying day at least once a week or so but even the dry days are damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

There's been barely any letup since Friday afternoon. Garden, driveway and fields nearby waterlogged, side roads flooded. It's up there with the daily deluges during Autumn 2019. This is turning out to be a horrible winter.

We had a dryish day yesterday, despite there been misty rain most of the day, only 0.8mm but since midnight its been constant, 11.7mm on top of last weeks rain, the land is completely saturated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a pond is starting to form in my garden, 2 inches of water near the garage. 3 Floods between my home and Dunshaughlin over a 2km distance. Rain still hammering down here and water gushing down the sides of all the roads. We need to shut off this Atlantic deluge as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Lads this theory is going to sound absolutely bonkers but hear me out :pac:

So I'm having my dinner, decided to go into the sitting room and watch TV, get a break from the LC study grind and put my mind at ease, feeling a little happier after that ECM.

I turn on the TV and I see the cartoon "Horrid Henry" on Nick and I think, geez I haven't seen that in years! Let's take a peak at it.

The entire episode was about snow

I'm telling ya lads, it's a sign. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sorry now, I know this is way off topic but just by chance I happened upon these photos today off what I'm guessing is about 1995'ish given I was about 12 in the pics maybe. The pics were taken in Carlow town on what I believe was a Saturday....that's all I know, I think. It was a pretty amazing snow event from my childhood and even featured a thunder snow shower, I've not experienced one before or since!! The last pics are of that thunder snow, it was an almost white out!! But from what I can recall a lot of it was gone by the next day. I do recall it perhaps being an easterly given the snow and how it was stuck to the east facing side of the telegraph pile outside our house.

Anyone have any better idea of when this may have been apart from 'a Saturday in maybe '95' :p

pPoXY2y.jpg

JpdxIkd.jpg

t2M2bZU.jpg

UEy0v0q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

There was a big snow event around Christmas in 95, I was only young at the time but remember visiting neighbors and when we left to go home there was snow everywhere, by the next morning we had a good 10-15cm on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

a pond is starting to form in my garden, 2 inches of water near the garage. 3 Floods between my home and Dunshaughlin over a 2km distance. Rain still hammering down here and water gushing down the sides of all the roads. We need to shut off this Atlantic deluge as soon as possible.

Where in the name a jaysus do you live exactly? You're always flooding! It seems at odds with the rest of the larger area. I know that around Trevet airfield is a bit boggy so maybe that's why but you seem to live in the worst spot in Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Sorry now, I know this is way off topic but just by chance I happened upon these photos today off what I'm guessing is about 1995'ish given I was about 12 in the pics maybe. The pics were taken in Carlow town on what I believe was a Saturday....that's all I know, I think. It was a pretty amazing snow event from my childhood and even featured a thunder snow shower, I've not experienced one before or since!! The last pics are of that thunder snow, it was an almost white out!! But from what I can recall a lot of it was gone by the next day. I do recall it perhaps being an easterly given the snow and how it was stuck to the east facing side of the telegraph pile outside our house.

Anyone have any better idea of when this may have been apart from 'a Saturday in maybe '95' :p

pPoXY2y.jpg

JpdxIkd.jpg

t2M2bZU.jpg

UEy0v0q.jpg

There was an easterly the first week of dec 95 ,though I dint think it was particularly cold and Britain got some snow from it.
    There was a brief easterly around the last week of Jan 96 which gave snow for a day or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Where in the name a jaysus do you live exactly? You're always flooding! It seems at odds with the rest of the larger area. I know that around Trevet airfield is a bit boggy so maybe that's why but you seem to live in the worst spot in Leinster.

Very poor drainage in all the land around here, neighbours also have a leak problem. The council were out earlier in the week to drain the floods from the local road, they are probably back again today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Billcarson wrote: »
    There was a brief easterly around the last week of Jan 96 which gave snow for a day or so.

That sounds about right, I think it was a Jan or Feb affair, ie post Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

There was a big snow event around Christmas in 95, I was only young at the time but remember visiting neighbors and when we left to go home there was snow everywhere, by the next morning we had a good 10-15cm on the ground

I remember that too. Was a northerly plunge around then. Altnaharra recorded -27.2 that month. The coldest ever recorded in the UK, a joint record as -27.2 had been reached twice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I remember that too. Was a northerly plunge around then. Altnaharra recorded -27.2 that month. The coldest ever recorded in the UK, a joint record as -27.2 had been reached twice before.

I remember that too. It started snowing in South Donegal at about 2pm on Christmas Eve and the following few days were bitterly cold but sunny. A white Christmas. I went outside around midnight on Christmas Eve with a big warm blanket and a brandy and sat looking at the scene. It was as bright as day with the clear sky, big moon and a blanket of snow. Beautiful.

I remember that too. It started snowing in South Donegal at about 2pm on Christmas Eve and the following few days were bitterly cold but sunny. A white Christmas. I went outside around midnight on Christmas Eve with a big warm blanket and a brandy and sat looking at the scene. It was as bright as day with the clear sky, big moon and a blanket of snow. Beautiful.

I remember the forecast on xmas eve 95 was for that snow to move southward overnight. Very disappointed, but got a very harsh frost instead .

Walking back from the pub around 2am that night the sky was clear and I was thinking I hope the snow arrives ,where the hell is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    That sounds about right, I think it was a Jan or Feb affair, ie post Christmas.

I would say it was just after Christmas of 1996 has a easterly started brought in loads of snow but what I remember most it was freezing day and night. Why I remember it so well our water froze going to the tank in the attic. I couldn't get it defrosted I carried buckets of water up every day to keep it full. Nightmare it was.

31&model=NETCDF

Longing wrote: »
    I would say it was just after Christmas of 1996 has a easterly started brought in loads of snow but what I remember most it was freezing day and night. Why I remember it so well our water froze going to the tank in the attic. I couldn't get it defrosted I carried buckets of water up every day to keep it full. Nightmare it was.

31&model=NETCDF

New years day 97 was white but it got milder the next day if I remember. Or my snow didn't hang around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

Billcarson wrote: »
    New years day 97 was white but it got milder the next day if I remember. Or my snow didn't hang around for long.

Started around 26th Dec '96 and lasted till the 9 or 10th of January '97. But has you said it probably depended were you lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Today's flooding is almost as bad as any I can remember. Everywhere overflowing and waterlogged.
    I'm expecting swans to have found my garden by morning time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Whats the rainfall total so far this year in your area Gonzo?

lolie wrote: »
    Whats the rainfall total so far this year in your atea Gonzo?

110mm up to yesterday. Probably add on an extra 15mm from today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

110mm up to yesterday. Probably add on an extra 15mm from today.

And i thought land around here was wet, just under 130mm in the gauge outside, 12mm today alone.
    No big floods in any fields nearby (apart from 1 or 2 that stay flooded in winter) as the rain was spaced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

110mm is fairly standard, even below average for the western half of the country. You east coasters are too soft :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

110mm is fairly standard, even below average for the western half of the country. You east coasters are too soft :pac:

Wettest months on average in this part of the south midlands is Dec + Jan with 95mm expected in each. April + June lowest with 56mm expected in each.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

If this potential and probably a bit more than potential cold spell now is short lived ( maybe not) i would expect the next round to be pretty soon after and colder, with more of a direct feed off a very cold snowy
    Continent by then. I feel the SSW might be finally seen and felt at the surface. Alot of amplification and dizzy heights about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Met Eireann forecast suggesting very cold next week with some falls of sleet and snow expected, with significant snow accumalations possible in leinster

Time will tell i suppose, i will wait til i see it snowing 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

The land is utterly saturated in the local area. If this rain doesn't stop I can imagine serious problems in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

OldRio wrote: »
    The land is utterly saturated in the local area. If this rain doesn't stop I can imagine serious problems in a week or two.

Definitely, surprised there wasn't a yellow warning for rain yesterday.

541863.jpg

The ducks will be moving in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

thats Moyglare rd Maynooth, just inside Meath border?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Some of us in the east coast don't have mountains for the rain to run down into the sea. For example Meath and Kildare. The ground in parts of Meath and Kildare has never been as waterlogged in living memory as it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely morning in Cork today :) hopefully this is the start of a week respite from endless rain

Advertisement