Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You forgot "whingers".

Between making u-turns and jumping on bandwagons, I'd imagine he is a very fit man.

You're right. He has a long history.

And of course, pardon my typo: he called them "extremists" (and whingers).
    He insulted them with correct spelling, rather than my crappy attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Crikey ok. Sounds like a complete tool so.

Ok thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Why? May I ask.

Pleading complete ignorance on this one.

He only sees walking/cycling as a leisure activity. He's a bit of a Thatcherite when it comes to cars, ie, you are not successful in life if you haven't got a car and drive everywhere. Public transport/walking/cycling are pursuits followed by the unsuccessful.

My Mrs works frontline in the Mercy. She walks to work everyday with 100s of other colleagues doing the same. Unfortunately, Terry doesn't care about them.

However, they might have status if they had a car......

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkCraneCount

Gardner wrote: »
    Rumour has it 2 big modular construction extensions happening to Mercy Hospital and Mallow General Hospital. Anyone know any details?
    bingo9999 wrote: »

The Mercy are adding about 30 beds above the service yard, which has to stay operational. There will be two floors of modular build, which tie in at 2nd and 3rd floor levels to the existing 1950s (?) block.

Mallow are adding 48 beds, but I don't know any other details on that one: https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40149254.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

This is the new ER that was built there once they took away the M*A*S*H style army hospital tent that thankfully was never used.

541331.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

Planning application for student accommodation on Mardyke Walk:
    Permission for the demolition of a rear annex/outbuildings (previously used as a veterinary surgery) and change of use of Hawthorn House from residential to student amenity and management facilities; the construction of a four-storey student accommodation building located to the rear of Hawthorn House comprising 15 no. apartments (ranging in size between 3-7 bedrooms) and all associated development works including vehicular and pedestrian access, bicycle parking, bin store, landscaping and amenity areas.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2139853/0

Custom House Quay decision on March 22nd:
    542011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    He only sees walking/cycling as a leisure activity. He's a bit of a Thatcherite when it comes to cars, ie, you are not successful in life if you haven't got a car and drive everywhere. Public transport/walking/cycling are pursuits followed by the unsuccessful.

My Mrs works frontline in the Mercy. She walks to work everyday with 100s of other colleagues doing the same. Unfortunately, Terry doesn't care about them.

However, they might have status if they had a car......

Not to mention the other councillors in there (except for a few actually driving change).

They're living in the leafy suburbs and don't pay a bit of attention to the city and the state it's in. The City Hall is their Vatican.

If Terry Shannon or Des Cahill took a stroll around the city once in a while and used their eyes, they'd see that at best, the state of the city is mediocre and at worst, dangerous. Shame they won't, because they've blocked half of Cork on social media at this stage.

Speak out against the city enough? Blocked. No room for discord.
    Frustrating. Partly why I quit Twitter in September - it made me too angry and anxious to see them not doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

The student apt application looks to be right beside the apt block that's just been completed. It looks reasonably well to be fair....

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

blindsider wrote: »
    The student apt application looks to be right beside the apt block that's just been completed. It looks reasonably well to be fair....
    This nice building I believe. i hope they keep the big tree (but clean up the bottom) and the mardyke walk fronting part is as nice as the new building on the corner of noel cantwell walk. A repaving of NCW would be nice too

https://goo.gl/maps/eybSRY8fejGqzBUCA

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Not to mention the other councillors in there (except for a few actually driving change).

They're living in the leafy suburbs and don't pay a bit of attention to the city and the state it's in. The City Hall is their Vatican.

If Terry Shannon or Des Cahill took a stroll around the city once in a while and used their eyes, they'd see that at best, the state of the city is mediocre and at worst, dangerous. Shame they won't, because they've blocked half of Cork on social media at this stage.

Speak out against the city enough? Blocked. No room for discord.
    Frustrating. Partly why I quit Twitter in September - it made me too angry and anxious to see them not doing anything about it.

There's too many councilors living in semi-ds in Douglas and Rochestown making decisions for the city centre. They're treating it as a county town not realizing the impact of poor decisions on the city.

I wish there was another constituency in the city centre, people living there are not represented. Anybody living in the centre would not be voting for the likes of Des or Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Janet_Yellen

Any update on the apartment block and restaurant on Victoria Rd (next to Goldbergs) that was given the green light 2 years ago?

Also, the Anderson's Quay site was proposaled years ago and nothing has started?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

You're right. He has a long history.

A couple of days ago, and much to my surprise, I heard from a neighbour that Shannon is behind a proposed traffic calming measure that would completely close one end of a road that has become a rat run in Ballinlough. This would be very positive for peds and cyclists on that road. So now I’m confused by his position on “anti-car” projects. It is case by case at best, and inconsistent at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

cantalach wrote: »
    A couple of days ago, and much to my surprise, I heard from a neighbour that Shannon is behind a proposed traffic calming measure that would completely close one end of a road that has become a rat run in Ballinlough. This would be very positive for peds and cyclists on that road. So now I’m confused by his position on “anti-car” projects. It is case by case at best, and inconsistent at worst.

Which road?

Which road?

Churchyard Lane. Since the lights were put at the top of the Well Road, it has become a major rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Any update on the apartment block and restaurant on Victoria Rd (next to Goldbergs) that was given the green light 2 years ago?

Also, the Anderson's Quay site was proposaled years ago and nothing has started?

Nothing stirring. I thought it might have been delayed until Navigation Square was completed given how tight that block is, but that seemed to be going slow even before the current lockdown (2 blocks finished, 1 filled, other 2 not started) but now I'm not sure it'll happen.

Regarding Anderson's Quay - nothing stirring. I think all upcoming office developments are up in the air until we see how things are post-Covid. But you'd never know - if the Custom House tower, the Prism, or the hotel behind the bus station are ever developed, it could spur more development in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I'm all for development but the people who built the new Windsor Hotel have taken the absolute biscuit in ignoring the planning conditions https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40223078.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

So the new planning process is:

-Apply as normal
    -Build what you want
    -Apply for Retention

....Ah shur, it'll be grand!

Good to see the Planning process is working well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

blindsider wrote: »
    So the new planning process is:

-Apply as normal
    -Build what you want
    -Apply for Retention

....Ah shur, it'll be grand!

Good to see the Planning process is working well.

I suspect that the system is flawed and it's cheaper and faster to do it this way, even taking into account any fines.

I suspect that this is what Starbucks were up to, too.

I guess, in development, time is money. Perhaps the fines and consequences need to be much, much harsher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I suspect that the system is flawed and it's cheaper and faster to do it this way, even taking into account any fines.

I suspect that this is what Starbucks were up to, too.

I guess, in development, time is money. Perhaps the fines and consequences need to be much, much harsher.

If that was true everyone would do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If that was true everyone would do it

Big developers are doing it, and getting away with it, and it appears from the outside the council aren't even fining them, let alone enforcing the original plans.

Near to me, permission was granted under certain conditions. The conditions aren't being met, and the planning department seems to have accepted a litany of excuses from the developers.

We haven't finished that bit yet.
    We've finished it for now, but we'll be redoing it in a while.
    It only looks like it's not finished.
    That's the way it was always supposed to be.....

I assume that the builders will drag it out for years, then apply for retention on the basis "it's been like that for ages now".

15 years ago, 85% of retention applications were granted in Dublin CC. Would be interesting to see current numbers for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, speaking of big developers getting away with it.. I mean look at the Event Centre. :)

Mahon Point was meant to include an event centre, and it never did (I think the developers (OCP)in that case did pay a financial penalty). The Beamish Quarter development looks like it might be following suit..

Thoie wrote: »
    Big developers are doing it, and getting away with it, and it appears from the outside the council aren't even fining them, let alone enforcing the original plans.

Near to me, permission was granted under certain conditions. The conditions aren't being met, and the planning department seems to have accepted a litany of excuses from the developers.

I assume that the builders will drag it out for years, then apply for retention on the basis "it's been like that for ages now".

And they can just fold the subsidiary that did the actual construction, further complicating resolution of any issues. Years ago we lived in an apartment in Rathmines. About a year after everyone moved in, and with lots of outstanding work still to be done in communal areas, the company that the developer had spun up to do the construction was spun down. The developer moved on to their next project and we were all left in a mess with no (cheap) legal options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

I'm all for development but the people who built the new Windsor Hotel have taken the absolute biscuit in ignoring the planning conditions https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40223078.html

Was there also some issue at the beginning of this project regarding the demolition of some adjoining premises ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

kub wrote: »
    Was there also some issue at the beginning of this project regarding the demolition of some adjoining premises ?

I don't know about adjoining premises but I do know they took down way more of the original building than what they were allowed to the point there is almost zilch of the original left.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Thoie wrote: »

15 years ago, 85% of retention applications were granted in Dublin CC. Would be interesting to see current numbers for Cork.
    One development, one it's not a general occurrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭PreCocious

cantalach wrote: »

That's very consistent.

Terry looks after his core voters. He was against the pedestrianisation of the Marina until it became very clear that "his" people supported it.
    He was a vocal supporter of the redevelopment of the Pairc and ignored the views of those living nearby because "his" people weren't affected y the parking or anti-social behaviour. When locals succeeded in having match day cordons put around the stadium that forced the illegal parking into Ballinlough , hence it affected "his" people and he went ballistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

People like Terry Shannon are a disgrace and an embarrassment to their families.

The city is a neglected mess because of idiots and scumbags like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    Well, speaking of big developers getting away with it.. I mean look at the Event Centre. :)

Mahon Point was meant to include an event centre, and it never did (I think the developers (OCP)in that case did pay a financial penalty). The Beamish Quarter development looks like it might be following suit..

Someone from Cork was telling that a bunch of protected old houses on Drawbridge St behind Easons were demolished over a weekend many years ago (before my time in Cork). The developer (who I won't be naming just in case!) showed up at City Hall on the Monday & handed over a cheque to cover the fine as that was the only possible punishment at the time.

Now we have these non-descript grey things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rebs23 wrote: »
    One development, one it's not a general occurrance.

A well known art deco car showroom in Dublin was cheekily torn down over a bank hol weekend when they thought no-one was looking and they were forced to rebuild it.

Advertisement