Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭whatever76

Shandon lighting up in green as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

who_me wrote: »
    The Bus station is too........

To be fair, the Bus Station is green all year round and not because of the lights!

A power wash would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah that's lovely to see :) Happy Paddy's Month everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

rounders wrote: »
    To be fair, the Bus Station is green all year round and not because of the lights!

A power wash would be nice

I think the bus station would make a great gallery. It's not really fit for purpose at the moment. Having everything closer to the train station would be a a far better transport hub.

It is shocking alright. How they're able to get away with it year after year is beyond me. How long has that Ford dealers / garage and the shop been out of action now at this stage? 20 years?

Wasn't it something to do with one of the family living in a house there?
    In 2006 Dennehy's were still operating to some extent but I think it was over where the apartments are by Tesco rather than the original site. I got some bodywork done to a new ish Mondeo done there iirc. Also got a flywheel done on the same car under Ford warranty but can't remember where I got that done.... I've an inkling it was Dennehy's Cross also but can't remember being in there.

Iirc Ford went from Dennehy's Cross to Drive Motor Group in 2006 so maybe Dennehy's Cross was still trading until 2005?

Seems to be a lot of vans coming and going out of it

Really? As in builders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I think the bus station would make a great gallery. It's not really fit for purpose at the moment. Having everything closer to the train station would be a a far better transport hub.

Except people prefer to get closer to patrick st., Slightly more central,. It's only a 10 minute extra walk , but if you've got to walk to the mercy or Washington Street it's 10 mins more from the train station ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Markcheese wrote: »
    Except people prefer to get closer to patrick st., Slightly more central,. It's only a 10 minute extra walk , but if you've got to walk to the mercy or Washington Street it's 10 mins more from the train station ..
    Train station is a pain to get to personally, better since adding the new entrance but still a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

timmyjimmy wrote: »

It would! Though to be honest if the bus station were ever going to be re-purposed it probably would be something far bigger in scale.

If you were to merge the bus station foreyard, the building, the rear bays and access (and possibly merge in the buildings behind, if still not redeveloped), you have a huge city centre, river-side plot for a major commercial/residential development. It could draw a lot of foot traffic down from Patrick St. to Parnell Place and link the city centre better with the docklands.

The train station probably should be served by most city-centre bus routes, which could also have stops on Patrick St. / Grand Parade / South Mall as needed. If that happened, the bus station as-is probably wouldn't be needed as much.

Markcheese wrote: »

It's no where near 10 min most people and look at the amount of wasted space at the station.

Foot bridge across to the docklands, for the future developments, from the bus station if at Horgan's key and the new city area is fully supported by public transport

Augeo wrote: »
    Really? As in builders?

Apparently the developer is McHugh insulation. Maybe a depot/store or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Rochestown Inn re-development has been refused....

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40235615.html

A PROPOSAL to redevelop the former Rochestown Inn has been rejected by Cork City Council, labelled by planners at City Hall as "visually awkward".

In December, developer John Sweeney had applied for permission to demolish the former Rochestown Inn building to construct a new two-and-a-half storey building.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

blindsider wrote: »
    Rochestown Inn re-development has been refused....

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40235615.html

A PROPOSAL to redevelop the former Rochestown Inn has been rejected by Cork City Council, labelled by planners at City Hall as "visually awkward".

Its hard to disagree with them based on the rendering available in the link. Pretty it ain't.

Its hard to disagree with them based on the rendering available in the link. Pretty it ain't.

Hideous

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

M28 case grinds to a halt at the Supreme Court

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40236191.html

Big news for redevelopment of the city centre & Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Realistically when would the M28 start construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Realistically when would the M28 start construction?

2024 according to the article.
    Due to finish 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great news for Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Three years of advance works and land acquisition for the M28.

Longer than normal due to the complexity of some service diversions required and also advance works required on the Rochestown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Does anyone have a link to the final plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Does anyone have a link to the final plans?

https://www.corkrdo.ie/major-schemes/m28-cork-to-ringaskiddy-project/

Not sure how up to date they are, but definitely gives an in-depth overview of the entire route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

thank you! will the Rochestown Road work be done before the M28?

calnand wrote: »
    https://www.corkrdo.ie/major-schemes/m28-cork-to-ringaskiddy-project/

Not sure how up to date they are, but definitely gives an in-depth overview of the entire route.
    They are fully upto date. That's what went in for planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

I see the council are inviting tenders for the new housing development off the old mallow/whitechurch roads.

ofcork wrote: »
    I see the council are inviting tenders for the new housing development off the old mallow/whitechurch roads.

600 houses on 54 acres seems very low density for this location which is just 3km from the city centre. It's right adjacent to the train line also but, as I understand it, there is no provision or plan to use the rail line in this development for commuter transport. Another car dependent low density development.

600 houses on 54 acres seems very low density for this location which is just 3km from the city centre. It's right adjacent to the train line also but, as I understand it, there is no provision or plan to use the rail line in this development for commuter transport. Another car dependent low density development.

Depends on level of retail, amenities, and if there's a school or two going in

Depends on level of retail, amenities, and if there's a school or two going in

It's low density housing in anybody's language. Tony Fitzgerald reckons it'll be a piece of the countryside in a urban location and will have a "rural" feel to it. 3km from the city centre and right adjacent to the rail line. Poor use of the site to have low density "rural" suburban density like this given its location.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40238279.html

It's low density housing in anybody's language. Tony Fitzgerald reckons it'll be a piece of the countryside in a urban location and will have a "rural" feel to it. 3km from the city centre and right adjacent to the rail line. Poor use of the site to have low density "rural" suburban density like this given its location.

That's concerning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭macraignil

You are completely ignoring the retail, educational and amenity facilities to be included if you are saying this is low density in my language anyway. If we just count 600 houses over the entire 54acre site this is less than 1/10th of an acre or 400m2 per house site with no allowance even for the road and paths and shared green areas that would need to be accommodated. No intention to move to live in Cork city myself but I don't understand the sentiment that home owners should not be allowed have a garden anymore just because some people want to squeeze everyone into some high density high rise apartment type setting, or is it more that you think only the south side of the city should have houses with reasonable size gardens? High density should be one option and may suit some people but does not suit everyone in my opinion.

The city is not that stuck for space that every development needs to be high density and while public transport is good to have some types of job will still require the mobility provided by private transport. People who have private transport and some appreciation of the outdoors should have the option to have a home with a garden and still be able to walk to the city centre in a small urban area like Cork and I don't think this needs to have negative inferences applied by those who want to make public transport mandatory. There are a good number of underused sites closer to the city centre that would make better locations for high density developments.

• Advertisement

macraignil wrote: »
    You are completely ignoring the retail, educational and amenity facilities to be included if you are saying this is low density in my language anyway. If we just count 600 houses over the entire 54acre site this is less than 1/10th of an acre or 400m2 per house site with no allowance even for the road and paths and shared green areas that would need to be accommodated. No intention to move to live in Cork city myself but I don't understand the sentiment that home owners should not be allowed have a garden anymore just because some people want to squeeze everyone into some high density high rise apartment type setting, or is it more that you think only the south side of the city should have houses with reasonable size gardens? High density should be one option and may suit some people but does not suit everyone in my opinion.

The city is not that stuck for space that every development needs to be high density and while public transport is good to have some types of job will still require the mobility provided by private transport. People who have private transport and some appreciation of the outdoors should have the option to have a home with a garden and still be able to walk to the city centre in a small urban area like Cork and I don't think this needs to have negative inferences applied by those who want to make public transport mandatory. There are a good number of underused sites closer to the city centre that would make better locations for high density developments.

I'm not ignoring it and I didn't mention anything that nobody should have a garden. In fact most of your post is made up strawman arguments.

A councillor has proudly described it as being a rural development in an urban location and that it will be like having the countryside in the city. I have no problem with people having options for garden etc. Every semi d in the country has a garden. The issue is building this piece of "rural living" right next to a major transport line. There are better places for the city council to build that if they want, now that they have an expanded boundary. But development plans and logic clearly call out the need to densify developments adjacent to transport lines. This is just repeating the semi d sprawl of places like Douglas etc, with the inevitable traffic problems and car centered development that follows.

Advertisement