Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

They should have their name match with NIMBY

They should have their name match with NIMBY

If it contravenes local development plan it should be refused

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I cant blame the residents, that's a serious number of students to be plonked right in the middle of all the privately owned houses. Even from the pucture, you can see why they'd be inclined to object. Must have cost a few Bob, but there is quite a few Bob on that road already I'd say.

You don't get to buy next to a constricted University the size of UCC and expect that your tranquil road will not be impacted.
    Anything between UCC and MTU is going to grow into student city, over the coming years.

It's people on Model Farm Road who will be impacted unfairly (given the rapid growth of RTC/CIT/MTU), people right next to UCC should not be surprised

You don't get to buy next to a constricted University the size of UCC and expect that your tranquil road will not be impacted.
    Anything between UCC and MTU is going to grow into student city, over the coming years.

It's people on Model Farm Road who will be impacted unfairly (given the rapid growth of RTC/CIT/MTU), people right next to UCC should not be surprised

At the same time though, why should residents, having invested to make an area desirable, be discommoded and neighbourhoods potentialy ruined, for what is private developers responding to essentially a commercial operation.

• Advertisement

At the same time though, why should residents, having invested to make an area desirable, be discommoded and neighbourhoods potentialy ruined, for what is private developers responding to essentially a commercial operation.
    The area is historically desirable because it's situtaed beside the University.

It's nothing the residents did. Colleges are a social need and need accommodation.

The people being put out are those near MTU, given that many will have been living there before the college became an IT and, now, University

It's nothing the residents did. Colleges are a social need and need accommodation.

The people being put out are those near MTU, given that many will have been living there before the college became an IT and, now, University

Yes and no

The area is desirable because of several reasons. Colege proximity being one. Town, hospitals etc. The residents maintain that desirability through investment in their property.

University status isn't a grant to just rail road through what ever they want in the area- its a commercial status thing, not responding to a social need. Colleges aren't a social need, and we've plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

I see what you’re getting at but you have to look at the numbers too. If you compare the student population of UCC today with what it was 30 years ago, it has increased by far more than the total size of the CIT student population. I think neither group of residents could have anticipated the dramatic change of circumstances.

cantalach wrote: »
    I see what you’re getting at but you have to look at the numbers too. If you compare the student population of UCC today with what it was 30 years ago, it has increased by far more than the total size of the CIT student population. I think neither group of residents could have anticipated the dramatic change of circumstances.

Maybe but Universities will always grow. Buying next to such a growth spot will always mean you run a risk.
    A random regional tech could always stay a little aul thing. Goin from RTC to IT to TU since 95. That was not something a resident would plan for.

So they'll complain away but there's going to be campus accommodation increases as UCC takes over that sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know this thread is for cork developments both current and in the future but I was thinking this morning about buildings that have gone up in the city over the years and are merchants quay and the opera house two of the most unimaginative buildings in the city ? I know they put a new front on the opera house and a few windows on merchants quay but when I was younger they were just drab red and grey walls facing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

The coronavirus will have a huge impact on schooling and work practices in the near and far future. Remote learning and remote working will substantially increase as lessons are learned from behaviours during this pandemic.
    Students heretofore needed to move into university cities to attend college, this will no longer be the case. There will most likely be a big decline in overseas students arriving here. It would probably make sense that a moratorium be placed on granting planning permission to high rise student accommodation for a couple of years. Demand for same is hard to calculate now.
    Student accommodation blocks don’t have a provision for many car parking spaces so it’s unlikely they would be suitable for conversion into family accommodation units. In the event of diminishing demand for student accommodation it is hard to see what alternative use could they provide?
    Are we going to be looking at more ‘ghost developments’??

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Remote learning will not happen. i am a student and it was bearable for the start but everyone is sick of it now, students are struggling an extreme amount and i've spoken to many who have considered dropping out they have been so stressed working from home without ever seeing their class. first years too find it especially difficult. I believe UCC are trying to get as much in person time next year as they can. i also know loads of students still moving into student apartments and doign college from there so they can use the library. Remote working idk, although I think that will go hybrid and potentially back to normal then after people adjust. Coronavirus effect won't last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

No I don't see remote college happening long term at all. As soon as it's over it will be back to normal. Besides the fact there is a huge social aspect to college and school you also have to remember exams, labs etc realistically need to be in person. Also its incredibly difficult to communicate effective as a big group on zoom call. Trying to engage and debate in a lesson is much more difficult when there is a time delay, connections are slow and people are breaking up.

I am doing a masters part time and going remote has been a blessing in terms of I have gained a lot of time back not commuting to work and college( I don't know how I managed working full time while doing a masters last year). But if this was my first time in college I would be really missing the social aspect. Communicating with lecturers and other classmates is more difficult. If I hadn't had a year of this course where I wasn't remote I probably wouldn't have got to know any of my classmates and would feel very alone in trying to approach difficult assignments etc.

normanbond wrote: »
    The coronavirus will have a huge impact on schooling and work practices in the near and far future. Remote learning and remote working will substantially increase as lessons are learned from behaviours during this pandemic.
    Students heretofore needed to move into university cities to attend college, this will no longer be the case. There will most likely be a big decline in overseas students arriving here. It would probably make sense that a moratorium be placed on granting planning permission to high rise student accommodation for a couple of years. Demand for same is hard to calculate now.
    Student accommodation blocks don’t have a provision for many car parking spaces so it’s unlikely they would be suitable for conversion into family accommodation units. In the event of diminishing demand for student accommodation it is hard to see what alternative use could they provide?

You're not doing a science course remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

You're not doing a science course remotely.

I do a degree part time which usually means I commute to Dublin 1 day a week from Cork. It's à degree that is perfectly suited to online learning. No real need for any in person practical things.

no commute is an god send however I'd go straight back in tomorrow if I could. Online learning is absolutely not a good way to do a a degree in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Shedite27

normanbond wrote: »
    The classes are only half of the college experience. It's meeting life friends, your wife, taking up new sports and hobbies, beign influenced by others seeing how they study. Can't do that via Zoom.

And I'd argue it's the same reasons work from home doesn't work for anyone in their 20's and early 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

SHD application gone in for 1,000 apartments for the former Ford distribution site in the marina.

https://thesouthdocks.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

SHD application gone in for 1,000 apartments for the former Ford distribution site in the marina.

Permission and flip?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

At least Bus Eireann are being proactive here with their recently announced new 212 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

kub wrote: »
    At least Bus Eireann are being proactive here with their recently announced new 212 route.

Do you have details on that route?

• Advertisement

To be known by the locals at Monahattan. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Permission and flip?

Its Glenveagh homes so if its who I'm thinking off will build. There is a but though, apartments aren't financially viable right now for many so it maybe a few years before a build even if permission granted. Looks great though and good use of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Its Glenveagh homes so if its who I'm thinking off will build. There is a but though, apartments aren't financially viable right now for many so it maybe a few years before a build even if permission granted. Looks great though and good use of the site.
    They related to Marina Quarter Limited?

According to Cork Crane account on twitter thats who it is. If your not on it whoever is behind the account does good summaries of whats happening around the city so good chance its correct on this occasion as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's Glenveagh alright. The names and addresses/email addresses in the engineering documents verify this.

I think for large developments, it’s common for the developer to set up a separate company just for that project. It was certainly that way when we bought our first place in Dublin 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Do you have details on that route?

Yes it will start at the Train Station, onto Monahan Rd, onto Mahon Point and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Dermo123 wrote: »

Its an absolute joke that this keeps happening. Will it take someone getting killed before steps are taken to address what is very clearly an issue in the city centre.

• Advertisement

Its an absolute joke that this keeps happening. Will it take someone getting killed before steps are taken to address what is very clearly an issue in the city centre.

Someone was killed, did nothing to prompt continuous inspection/repair

Advertisement