Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Not necessarily a development, probably Nama / bankruptcy but what's the story with these high end looking houses on the Rochestown road pretty much next to the roundabout?
    https://goo.gl/maps/sy5kkvD3TSc7nFqG7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

rebs23 wrote: »
    One development, one it's not a general occurrance.

I'm sure it doesn't happen every time, but I've lived near "big" developments 4 times during my life, and in each of those 4 developments, the end result didn't meet what was planned.

There will always be a few situations where something really unexpected happens, causing plans to be changed. But in the 4 developments I'm familiar with, the builders didn't get permissions they originally wanted, but went ahead and did it anyway.

cantalach's experience is not at all uncommon either. Also in Dublin, one of the 4 places I lived was built with a condition that there would be facilities like a children's playground nearby, and a particular road resurfaced. That was 15 years ago. I don't live there any more, but my old neighbours tell me it's still not done. The original company was wound down, and the same people are back again with a new company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭macraignil

rebs23 wrote: »
    One development, one it's not a general occurrance.

Not sure if many others noticed the demolition on UCC grounds in the early 2000's of the Biological sciences building which looked to me like it could have dated back to the early days of the college being built with stone carvings over the door way and in nice looking old red brick. It was in a similar style to the old Crawford art school building. It used to be just next to the student centre. I had some lectures in it being one of the few Plant Science students and I did not see anything wrong with the building other than it being old and would have thought it was well worth preservation. I heard a rumor that someone found some structural issue that meant they were able to demolish it but I suspect the UCC management were more interested in having a bit of extra space for the new finance building they were constructing. The circular paved area they replaced the front door of the demolished building with now allows them have nice photos of the front of the Honan chapel for wedding bookings but I think they definitely lost something valuable when they allowed the old building be knocked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

opus wrote: »
    Someone from Cork was telling that a bunch of protected old houses on Drawbridge St behind Easons were demolished over a weekend many years ago (before my time in Cork). The developer (who I won't be naming just in case!) showed up at City Hall on the Monday & handed over a cheque to cover the fine as that was the only possible punishment at the time.

Now we have these non-descript grey things.

That is just not true. City Hall cannot predetermine and cannot accept money without a process, legal or otherwise being engaged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

macraignil wrote: »
    Not sure if many others noticed the demolition on UCC grounds in the early 2000's of the Biological sciences building which looked to me like it could have dated back to the early days of the college being built with stone carvings over the door way and in nice looking old red brick. It was in a similar style to the old Crawford art school building. It used to be just next to the student centre. I had some lectures in it being one of the few Plant Science students and I did not see anything wrong with the building other than it being old and would have thought it was well worth preservation. I heard a rumor that someone found some structural issue that meant they were able to demolish it but I suspect the UCC management were more interested in having a bit of extra space for the new finance building they were constructing. The circular paved area they replaced the front door of the demolished building with now allows them have nice photos of the front of the Honan chapel for wedding bookings but I think they definitely lost something valuable when they allowed the old building be knocked down.

I can't remember it very well, but I do recall a nice-looking redbrick building. There is a picture of it in the staff restaurant in UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

neddynasty wrote: »
    Is that the site of the old ESB office?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Echo wrote:
    Redevelopment of the Kino music and arts venue is set to move forward, as An Bord Pleanála has green-lit plans for extensive changes. The plans will see the Kino cinema demolished and the construction of a ground floor art house, consisting of cinema and performing arts space, along with a supporting café/bar with a student accommodation comprising 17 bedspaces overhead and a roof-top terrace.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40225775.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

A well known art deco car showroom in Dublin was cheekily torn down over a bank hol weekend when they thought no-one was looking and they were forced to rebuild it.

I remember that story well. There was a funny twist. The developer tried to claim that it couldn’t be rebuilt because nobody had the plans. Enter a postgraduate student who had just done a complete top to bottom survey of the building in excruciating detail, including stacks of photos. Ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

cantalach wrote: »
    I remember that story well. There was a funny twist. The developer tried to claim that it couldn’t be rebuilt because nobody had the plans. Enter a postgraduate student who had just done a complete top to bottom survey of the building in excruciating detail, including stacks of photos. Ha ha.

Wasnt it decades ( well, more than 1 ) before it was rebuilt though ?

Always thought that the directors / beneficial owners of demolished listed buildings should be liable for reinstatement, ( preferably to be done by the OPW ) ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wasnt it decades ( well, more than 1 ) before it was rebuilt though ?

Always thought that the directors / beneficial owners of demolished listed buildings should be liable for reinstatement, ( preferably to be done by the OPW ) ,

Archers Garage on the corner of Fenian Street and Sandwith Street. Something of a turning point as it helped establish that listing actually meant something and could be enforced in this country.

Originally built: 1946
    Demolished: June bank holiday 1999
    Forced rebuild commenced: 2001
    Rebuild completed: 2004

Some pictures on Archiseek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Markcheese wrote: »

Going beyond planning, I think executive level management of limited companies should be more *personally* accountable for unlawful activity generally by the company, as it is in some Continental countries (to the best of my knowledge). The original idea with incorporation was to limit financial liability arising from trading losses or civil actions. It wasn’t intended to be a cloak to protect beneficial owners from prosecution under penal codes. But that is what it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

macraignil wrote: »
    Not sure if many others noticed the demolition on UCC grounds in the early 2000's of the Biological sciences building which looked to me like it could have dated back to the early days of the college being built with stone carvings over the door way and in nice looking old red brick.

Yes, I remember there was some noise about this, I grew up very nearby. It was like the Crawford, but with plaster bas relief friezes of animals in a line around the 3rd floor maybe? On the plus side, the famous stained glass in the Honan actually gets direct sunlight now, but I remember no one knew if they would even try to take off and preserve the plaster art.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

No Divis flats on Model Farm Rd then.
    Dennehys Cross tenement development refused by An Bord Pleanalá

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308404.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Was there ever any artists rendering for this? That corner of Dennehy's has looked like something you's see in chernobyl for way too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I saw them before but i forget where. It looked just as bad if not worse than everything already there. Just a plain white block, no detailing or colours or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Apogee wrote: »

An interesting program. There was no mention of Dublin and I suspect that's because Dublin's derelict buildings have greatly reduced in number of the past 5 years. A decade ago most of the Rathmines-Dame Street road was derelict and in 2019 not a single empty unit. The last pockets of derelict buildings in Dublin are in the northeast of the city, which is presently a no-go zone after dark.

The thing is Dublin's reversal of it's dereliction has come through sheer weight of economics rather than any pro-active government or local government policy. The two key exceptions are the massive Carlton site, held up by the proposed metro station and the large triangular site in Smithfield, held up by state incompetence. We need better policies. Councils should be able to levy massive taxes on derelict sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Dennehy's Cross is a very busy junction in normal conditions so I'm not too disappointed by this.

However, I would like to see something done here - maybe lower density.....although that option obviously won't be popular with developers.

• Advertisement

Was there ever any artists rendering for this? That corner of Dennehy's has looked like something you's see in chernobyl for way too long...

Whats there is a hideous eyesore.

What was proposed was even worse, 6 and a 5 storey blocks, with a narrow "amenity garden" between them in shadow a lot of the day, with zero parking.

Flatly refused by City Co, upheld by ABP.
    ABP pretty damning rejection of it.
    Seems to be a lot of vans coming and going out of it

blindsider wrote: »
    Dennehy's Cross is a very busy junction in normal conditions so I'm not too disappointed by this.

However, I would like to see something done here - maybe lower density.....although that option obviously won't be popular with developers.

With the church now a protected structure, irs going to have be lower density, higher value development.
    Something needs to go there, its an eyesore a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

It is shocking alright. How they're able to get away with it year after year is beyond me. How long has that Ford dealers / garage and the shop been out of action now at this stage? 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Must be 15 yrs+ alright.

300m away - opp. Lee Garage, which must be on someone's radar for development - is the the Valilma site which has PP for 7 upmarket, detached houses.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/arid-30954930.html

Something like that might have a better chance of PP although the yield might be lower. Failing that, surely x no. of 3 storey townhouses/duplexes would work ......

Must be 15 yrs+ alright.

300m away - opp. Lee Garage, which must be on someone's radar for development - is the the Valilma site which has PP for 7 upmarket, detached houses.

Something like that might have a better chance of PP although the yield might be lower. Failing that, surely x no. of 3 storey townhouses/duplexes would work ......

Sizeable plot at the back of the garage all right.
    Those 7 houses are nearing completion last I passed.

Must be 15 yrs+ alright.

Been like that since I was in college in early 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

neddynasty wrote: »
    Is that the site of the old ESB office?

40 dwellings in that site will be very crammed. But that seems to be what the planners insist in these days - very high density. And completely inadequate number of parking spaces. You finish up with cars parked on the roads and footpaths, all over the place.

This development will be a similar mess. But, hey, planners are the experts.

Poulgorm wrote: »
    40 dwellings in that site will be very crammed. But that seems to be what the planners insist in these days - very high density. And completely inadequate number of parking spaces. You finish up with cars parked on the roads and footpaths, all over the place.

This development will be a similar mess. But, hey, planners are the experts.

Remove on street parking there.

Jobs, hospitals, collegrs, sports grounds, shopping, etc are all more than adequately served by foot, bike, or public transport

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm being very OT, but just passed by the red Abbey, and it's great to see it lit up.

IMG-20210225-200702.jpg

IMG-20210225-200733.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Bus station is too, and the City Hall. Looks like the Elysian antenna as well. Starting early for Paddy's Day, but let's make it a Paddy's month!

(Wow, one year since we were all wondering if the Paddy's Day parades could go ahead..)

Advertisement