Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What’s very positive about this possible easterly is that the U.K. Met office have been consistently indicating it. Doesn’t mean Ireland benefit as much as they do but certainly a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's nice to see such cold over as far as Ireland but I would caution against any comparison to 2018. Any cold seem to be very short-lived.

For me, if the charts do verify the flow would be too easterly for my liking. Maybe north midlands would have enough sea fetch to generate some showers but the Wales shadow would be in full effect for much of the southern and central block of the country, depending on exact windspeed. The cold would be very short-lived.

Unlike 2018, we don't see any signs of heights building and settling in the Svalbard area, prolonging the northeasterly flow down into the Baltics and northern central Europe. The high then shifted southwards into the Norwegian Sea, directing that cold air westwards. However, with -15 uppers it was around 3-4 degrees colder than what's being progged for this spell (the GFS won't verify) and there was an endless supply of it. This spell looks like it could get cut off very quickly.

But still great to see something like this instead of yellows and oranges from the west.

http://www1.wetter3.de/Archiv/GFS_Global/2018022618_1_nh.gif

2018022618_1_nh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It's nice to see such cold over as far as Ireland but I would caution against any comparison to 2018. Any cold seem to be very short-lived.

For me, if the charts do verify the flow would be too easterly for my liking. Maybe north midlands would have enough sea fetch to generate some showers but the Wales shadow would be in full effect for much of the southern and central block of the country, depending on exact windspeed. The cold would be very short-lived

Ironically a due east wind would work out very nicely for southern county Cork and Waterford as we are effectively part of Irelands East coast in that scenario and there is a long fetch from South Wales to Waterford and especially Cork.

We got a good 35cm out of streamers on the first 3 days of the BFTE but didn't do as well from Emma itself. Places out by the Old Head of Kinsale were buried those first few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Doesn't look short lived going by the ecm.. but your right about a direct easterly feed not been ideal, exciting times either way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Deep Breaths now lads :pac:

eIKYWoJ.gif

Some hard weather in those charts, might get some nice frosty blue skies over here in the SW, chance for the place to dry out a bit, dont think the streamers will reach this far :) but makes for interesting viewing.

k78EHme.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Doesn't look short lived going by the ecm.. but your right about a direct easterly feed not been ideal, exciting times either way.

Yes, if anything the ECM might prolong it, if we get a robust enough scandi high that then moves to Greenland. Either way if it ends after 4 or 5 days of snowy cold thats not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Yes, if anything the ECM might prolong it, if we get a robust enough scandi high that then moves to Greenland. Either way if it ends after 4 or 5 days of snowy cold thats not to be sniffed at.

Often overlooked that the entire BFTE inc Storm Emma was 5 - 6 days. Intense but it wasn't a particularly long event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

How close does this have to get before the much anticipated Kermit thread is published?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

5 days or so is plenty long enough tbf. For me anyway, it can start to become a hindrance when any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

For me, if the charts do verify the flow would be too easterly for my liking.

I agree that 2018 is still superior than what's on offer, but I would have said 2018 was as straight an easterly as what's on offer currently. If anything, the GFS looks to have more of a ENE element to things. 2018 below. Christ the blocking! Amazing how short lived things ended up being considering the scale of the blocking. I guess the price you pay for a mega-snow event is that it can reset things quicker than maybe charts would suggest looking at them.

To bring it back on topic. Good 12z runs. Still a few differences between the models but they are getting closer. Still a few days of worry you'd feel ahead with this low and how it ends up playing out.

archives-2018-3-1-0-0.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO out to +144 promising

gnnm6h8.gif

qJs7jBt.gif

fZi5aG4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

4-5 days of this would be dandy,I've been in the office since March with 4 days off in that time,I am going to be off for a week from next Monday so hopefully this comes to fruition :)

jArgHA wrote: »
    How close does this have to get before the much anticipated Kermit thread is published?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058155857

ICON more like GFS - quite clean.

icon-0-96.png?01-18

Just as things can downgrade, they can upgrade too and we are not far from a severe winter event here comparable to Feb 2018 (the days pre Emma).

It depends ultimately how this evolves further in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Please Note: 18z tonight may cause feelings of severe euphoria

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

pad199207 wrote: »
    Please Note: 18z tonight may cause feelings of severe euphoria

or Depression. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Zogabomb wrote: »
    or Depression. :D

No that will be the 0z :D

No dramas on the 18z out to +120.

gfs-0-120.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's not quite as cold as the 12z and the mild from the continent is pushing the colder air further north compared to the earlier run. That low over England has a definite warm sector with it.

They will be having panic attacks in the south east of England over that low, it's blizzard like conditions for places further north. The low might not blow up like that at all in reality, but some ensembles do show it.

Yeah a very brief easterly as well with the low filling and heading north but I'm sure it will change again.

• Advertisement

Yeah a very brief easterly as well with the low filling and heading north but I'm sure it will change again.

If other models start to show it i would be concerned. This could be the old GFS tendency to blow up lows on a run only to have it much weaker on subsequent runs.

GFS on it's own with that. Let's see where we stand in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

GFS on it's own with that. Let's see where we stand in the morning.

Not pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

GFS Mean looks fine, also I'm expecting the 0z ECM to be somewhat of a downgrade as that 12z was a bit on the cold outliner side, but doesn't matter too much as a strong trend is there

gensnh-31-1-144_fjd0.png

Also happy enough with the broader 500mb picture for 6 to 10 days time. While not specific it gives the general theme of where we are headed.

610day.03.gif

WRF NMM 18Z

Bit slower to get the cold in but right direction all the same. On to the next run

nmm-16-120-0_wdr0.png

18Z ICON 120 HRS, ALL GOOD

icon-0-120_qpb1.png

icon-1-120_ock0.png

Something different from the 0Z ICON again.

Slower and not as robust, sliders perhaps, miss out a lot but just another possible outcome.

icon-0-150_wkh2.png

GFS not playing ball

gfs-0-138_mxw7.png

UKMO heading down the ICON route

UW144-21_vsm7.GIF

GEM too

gem-0-138_zgk3.png

• Advertisement

A bad GFS run. If the ECM backs this in the morning, it won't be long till the UKMO caves in. The ultra nourished lady is clearing her throat. A big ECM coming up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement