Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

1C0203D6-7AC3-4285-9331-CEBFD3248518.png.c02817bd40791b2e88b590108b100f57.png

About as good as it gets. Heavy snow showers widely . The only way is down from here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

UKMO looks good too, the GFS has a serious snow event for Eastern England which will surely crash Netweather soon :)

156-779UK.gif
    156-289UK.gif

All eyes on the ECM later, a further step in the right direction and we can start building confidence but do remember the fun is still in FI!

Let's get the cold in and then look for the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The rot has stopped. And actually reversed in style.

Laaaaahvley

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

1C0203D6-7AC3-4285-9331-CEBFD3248518.png.c02817bd40791b2e88b590108b100f57.png

About as good as it gets. Heavy snow showers widely . The only way is down from here

What are you calling Relianle time frame NL so i know when yo go buy the bread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah nacho.. easterly starts early Saturday and continues till Tuesday. If the Gfs is even half right some parts of the country will be in snow heaven..

• Advertisement

UKMO +144..

UW144-21-1.gif

Would be nice to see the ECM go this way now. Not getting carried away but the rollercoaster is firmly stuck to the rails for now

We could be in slidergate territory a bit further on from 144 going by that chart.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

latest models are looking very good particularly the UKMO and GFS. Looking at the 00z, 6z and now the 12z that's some difference and I don't think we are done with the upgrades and downgrades. If we can finally get that ECM on board this evening that would be the biggest single upgrade of confidence. We really need it to jump onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Villain wrote: »
    UKMO looks good too, the GFS has a serious snow event for Eastern England which will surely crash Netweather soon :)

156-779UK.gif
    156-289UK.gif

All eyes on the ECM later, a further step in the right direction and we can start building confidence but do remember the fun is still in FI!

Let's get the cold in and then look for the snow.
    Indeed, that evolution reminds me of Storm Emma for the east coast of England, especially the southeast. But again, it's just one run so they needn't get carried away yet :D it does look like widespread cold and snow showers in much of northwest Europe is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

The clearing of the low to open the flood gates happens beore T96, surely we can get certainty at that point soon.

bazlers wrote: »
    What are you calling Relianle time frame NL so i know when yo go buy the bread:)

We've seen it all go pear shaped at just three or fours days out before. I would say believe it if we see this kind of scenario countdown to 48 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

We don't call it the Rollercoaster for nothing!

Worth bearing in mind to get an upgrade like this at <120 hrs before the progged easterly is worth double the weight it would have been yesterday at the longer time frame. We are moving into THE ZONE where variation will soon start to decline at least on the macro level very rapidly.

This is one of the nicest little upgrades I can recall, given the wobbles in the morning.

Very tasty, and that 12Z GFS if it comes off like that would have huge snow potential from Sunday onwards, no marginality, baltic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

We don't call it the Rollercoaster for nothing!

Worth bearing in mind to get an upgrade like this at <120 hrs before the progged easterly is worth double the weight it would have been yesterday at the longer time frame. We are moving into THE ZONE where variation will soon start to decline at least on the macro level very rapidly.

This is one of the nicest little upgrades I can recall, given the wobbles in the morning.

Very tasty, and that 12Z GFS if it comes off like that would have huge snow potential from Sunday onwards, no marginality, baltic stuff.

Stop it! You're teasing us! Could this actually be happening?? :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GEM still rolling out but looking pretty good - cold takes a little longer to get here but by Monday looking good. In fact it has a (further) low sliding across the south coast this weekend as the cold sets in from the north which could drop a fair bit of snow in these parts. Always nice to get the first 10cm at the start of the cold spell, takes the edge of the nerves!

Edit - that low doesn't slide, it gets lodged, so we end up with cold but not the deep cold of other models...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm guessing it will be the weekend either way in terms of timing of deeper cold arrival so a big enough spread. Some time between Friday and Sunday possibly.

UW144-7.GIF?01-17

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Edit - that low doesn't slide, it gets lodged, so we end up with cold but not the deep cold of other models...

This is what you're looking for :pac:

anim_srp5.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GEM still no great shakes, needs further enhancements, but there is some snow potential there for Leinster and Munster.

GFS extends the cold spell by about 2 days, so potentially cold from Saturday to next Thursday. Snow depth possibilities of between 5cm and 20cm to parts of Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Gonzo wrote: »
    GEM still no great shakes, needs further enhancements, but there is some snow potential there for Leinster and Munster.
    The way it evolves in FI is a bit "generic" to me, if a block like what's forecast is lingering around between Greenland and Scandinavia I don't see an Atlantic LP just barging towards Europe without it tracking further south. But that's like 8-10 days out even so.

The GEM if it verified would give snow more widely across Ireland. As would the GFS around the 10th.

Actually in such an unstable flow, troughs could pop up which move from east to west before then, but the east will of course see the most snow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Yeah nacho.. easterly starts early Saturday and continues till Tuesday. If the Gfs is even half right some parts of the country will be in snow heaven..

And large swathes will be dry.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS extends the cold spell by about 2 days, so potentially cold from Saturday to next Thursday. Snow depth possibilities of between 5cm and 20cm to parts of Leinster.

If we get the depth of cold suggested by the this run, Atlantic systems could well slide under the block. Even if they don't a lot of people will have got their wish for a few days of snow that stayed around. No point being too focused on when it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Right,am I dusting down the kids sleds or what :D

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    And large swathes will be dry.
    Parts of coastal Wicklow 11cms 4 inches
    Naas co kildare nearly 2 feet
    Basically a mirror image of the last week of Feb 2018
    A population area of up to 2 million people would be blanketed deeply, so rather significant, should it happen
    Its happened as recently as 3 years ago so quite possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

If we get the depth of cold suggested by the this run, Atlantic systems could well slide under the block. Even if they don't a lot of people will have got their wish for a few days of snow that stayed around. No point being too focused on when it ends.

3 or 4 days of lying snow would do me just fine. I actually get sick of being curtailed on day 3.oh wait I can’t go anywhere anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I think the GFS is a pretty extreme outcome and unlikely to verify but it's looking more and more likely that it will turn very cold this weekend and a lot of the East coast at least will see snow at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Right,am I dusting down the kids sleds or what :D

I wouldn't.

Cold air yes, lot of energy, no. Some sea effect streamers would be expected later in the period but generally cold and very dry with low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Further Outlook: Turning cooler as a northerly airflow moves in over the country. Scattered showers persisting through Friday, although sunny spells will occur also. Current indications suggest it will be drier on Saturday.

Latest Met Eireann update. Hopefully by Wednesday the wording will have changed to 'much colder in an easterly airflow'.

latest GFS run is quite snowy indeed, but as always this will change from run to run. Pinch of salt with this.Will know soon if this GFS 12z is an outlier.

12_213_uksnowdepth.png

12_147_ukthickness850.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Those are some serious snow depths for the UK :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UKMO 12z 850s. -10s into the NE:

DF2G59u.png

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement