Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Zak Hudak (@cbszak) Tweeted:
    A second police officer has committed suicide after responding to the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. Officer Jeffrey Smith took his own life, the acting DC MPD chief told the House Appropriations Cmte yesterday, per his prepared remarks https://twitter.com/cbszak/status/1354465078343585798?s=20

Right wing or left wing I think we can all agree this is sad news and shows how bad it must of been during those Capitol riots.

What's curious is why - was he on duty? Taking selfies with insurrectionists? Very little information about this poor fellow and what might've driven him to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Thanks President Trump, Senator Cruz & Co icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't know how the fans of sexualised hair sniffing videos missed this. Maybe they were spending too much time watching other weird shít during their edging sessions. Maybe they're still hanging out in communities that don't think beyond internet memes. Who knows.

Anyway, while I was hanging around the grown-up media, I found out that Biden's nominee the the UN is not too fond of BDS. This bothers me a bit because I think that there are just as strong grounds for boycotting Israel as there were to South Africa all those years ago. Even if one doesn't agree that they should be boycotted, a boycott is ultimately just a form of free expression and protest. I know that this attitude is business as usual for the US but it's still disappointing.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-bds-verges-on-antisemitism-biden-s-pick-for-un-envoy-says-1.9488357

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I don't know how the fans of sexualised hair sniffing videos missed this. Maybe they were spending too much time watching other weird shít during their edging sessions. Maybe they're still hanging out in communities that don't think beyond internet memes. Who knows.

Anyway, while I was hanging around the grown-up media, I found out that Biden's nominee the the UN is not too fond of BDS. This bothers me a bit because I think that there are just as strong grounds for boycotting Israel as there were to South Africa all those years ago. Even if one doesn't agree that they should be boycotted, a boycott is ultimately just a form of free expression and protest. I know that this attitude is business as usual for the US but it's still disappointing.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premium-bds-verges-on-antisemitism-biden-s-pick-for-un-envoy-says-1.9488357

Are the Republicans fond of the BDS movement? I only ask this because I don't recall you mentioning them.before, especially when they tried to stop BDS movements on campuses.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jesus Christ.

I actually think she makes Trump look human. Horrific person.

However of course, nothing will be done about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Where are you getting those numbers? From a quick google the two top sources I'm getting show that California has a slightly less reliance than Texas on federal money compared to what they put into the federal level. Both are net contributors to other states so I don't see the problem.

Always go the the source, you get the raw data without whatever assessments are being made by intermediary sites. In this case, the government budgets online.

https://dof.ca.gov/budget/summary_schedules_charts/documents/CHART-C-1.pdf
    California. State budget, about 330bn, of which some 107 is federal. Population 40mn. $2675 federal dollars per person.

https://www.lbb.state.tx.us/Documents/Appropriations_Bills/86/LBB_Recommended_House/5492_House_LBE_Bill_Summary.pdf
    Texas. State budget, about $250bn for two years, of which $87bn is federal. (Texas legislature meets every other year for two months, they are not professional politicians. Keeps costs down, and politics local) So about $125bn/year, of which $43.5bn is fed. Population 29mn, gives $1,500 federal dollars per person.

CA may well be sending in slightly more dollars per person to the Feds than TX they have higher pay scales to compensate for the higher costs of living.

You will note that if you look at #50 on that list, Montana, the State receives about $3bn in federal aid, on a (in that year) 7bn budget, at $2,900 per person (1.1mn population), it’s not ungodly far off the amount the Feds give California. https://leg.mt.gov/content/Publications/fiscal/2021-Interim/Jan-2020/Federal-Funds-Risk-FINAL.pdf

However, the point here is that the point of the State budget is to serve the needs of the State. Whatever the purposes the Federal government is giving money for to benefit the Union, State budgets -should- be paid for by State taxes. The significant “legitimate” federal pass through to State budget, outside of Medicare and the like which is a national program and passed through the state, is infrastructure like federal road building, like Interstates, which generally aids citizens in the States other than the one in which they are being made. Californians likely make more use of Kansas interstate system than Kansans do, for example. All those goods being shipped over. Everything else should be sorted out internally. The drill-down on what the federal money is being spent on is also at those links if you want to look.
    The biggest take away is that 9 of the top 10 states that are reliant on the federal government are deep Red states, most controlled by the GOP for decades. They are the guy that has spent his whole life on the dole but then call others 'welfare queens'.

True. Yet you will also see on the second link that #48 and #47 are Utah and Kansas. Blood red Idaho rates right next to California. (33 vs 34). #1, Montana, has only just returned the governorship to the GOP in the last election, being a Democrat governor for two decades (GOP House, but the governor still proposes and signs offJ. Obviously mere GOP control is not the defining factor, or even just how “conservative” the GOP controllers are. There is something else at play. It could be a matter of the nature of the expenditures which are being passed through, it could just be that some States are simply badly run. It could be a combination.

Either way, though, the question remains. Why is a third of a typical State budget, with a nation-sized economy, provided by outside sources? Drop the anything not directly related to federal purposes. Could lower federal tax as a result. If it means raising State taxes to cover the costs incurred by the State no longer provided by the Feds, why is this a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Always go the the source, you get the raw data without whatever assessments are being made by intermediary sites. In this case, the government budgets online.

https://dof.ca.gov/budget/summary_schedules_charts/documents/CHART-C-1.pdf
    California. State budget, about 330bn, of which some 107 is federal. Population 40mn. $2675 federal dollars per person.

https://www.lbb.state.tx.us/Documents/Appropriations_Bills/86/LBB_Recommended_House/5492_House_LBE_Bill_Summary.pdf
    Texas. State budget, about $250bn for two years, of which $87bn is federal. (Texas legislature meets every other year for two months, they are not professional politicians. Keeps costs down, and politics local) So about $125bn/year, of which $43.5bn is fed. Population 29mn, gives $1,500 federal dollars per person.

CA may well be sending in slightly more dollars per person to the Feds than TX they have higher pay scales to compensate for the higher costs of living.

You will note that if you look at #50 on that list, Montana, the State receives about $3bn in federal aid, on a (in that year) 7bn budget, at $2,900 per person (1.1mn population), it’s not ungodly far off the amount the Feds give California. https://leg.mt.gov/content/Publications/fiscal/2021-Interim/Jan-2020/Federal-Funds-Risk-FINAL.pdf

However, the point here is that the point of the State budget is to serve the needs of the State. Whatever the purposes the Federal government is giving money for to benefit the Union, State budgets -should- be paid for by State taxes. The significant “legitimate” federal pass through to State budget, outside of Medicare and the like which is a national program and passed through the state, is infrastructure like federal road building, like Interstates, which generally aids citizens in the States other than the one in which they are being made. Californians likely make more use of Kansas interstate system than Kansans do, for example. All those goods being shipped over. Everything else should be sorted out internally. The drill-down on what the federal money is being spent on is also at those links if you want to look.

True. Yet you will also see on the second link that #48 and #47 are Utah and Kansas. Blood red Idaho rates right next to California. (33 vs 34). #1, Montana, has only just returned the governorship to the GOP in the last election, being a Democrat governor for two decades (GOP House, but the governor still proposes and signs offJ. Obviously mere GOP control is not the defining factor, or even just how “conservative” the GOP controllers are. There is something else at play. It could be a matter of the nature of the expenditures which are being passed through, it could just be that some States are simply badly run. It could be a combination.

Either way, though, the question remains. Why is a third of a typical State budget, with a nation-sized economy, provided by outside sources? Drop the anything not directly related to federal purposes. Could lower federal tax as a result. If it means raising State taxes to cover the costs incurred by the State no longer provided by the Feds, why is this a bad thing?

Why is it a bad thing having it coming from a federal source?

America, probably more so than any other, has a population completely enamoured by 'The Flag' and 'the country'. Why are so many people who would be most vocal in this respect, also often the most vocal in terms of against the idea of an overarching entity.

I understand the argument around distance from Washington, disconnect, local taxes for local services etc but also I think consistency and oversight at a national level is overall more advantageous than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why is it a bad thing having it coming from a federal source?

America, probably more so than any other, has a population completely enamoured by 'The Flag' and 'the country'. Why are so many people who would be most vocal in this respect, also often the most vocal in terms of against the idea of an overarching entity.

I understand the argument around distance from Washington, disconnect, local taxes for local services etc but also I think consistency and oversight at a national level is overall more advantageous than not.

Flag and country is merely a banner. A calling cry. Underneath that calling cry is 'Everyone out for themselves look after number one' the country was founded by people raging across the land planting down stakes and claiming other people's land as theirs. That sense has prevailed today. The flag is the only unity they have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Billy Mays wrote: »

That woman is an unmitigated idiot of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Billy Mays wrote: »

It is very easy to just dismiss someone like that as an idiot. Which takes all of the fun out of it.

It is very easy to just dismiss someone like that as an idiot. Which takes all of the fun out of it.

You have to call it as you see it. Perhaps she could be elevated to the ranks of useful idiots. A lightning rod for derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

That woman is an unmitigated idiot of the highest order.

So what's the list now for Greene now?

- QAnon and Pizzagate true believer.
    - Las Vegas shooting was a false flag operation.
    - 2017 White Supremacist Unite the Right rally was an "inside job".
    - Seth Rich was murdered by MS13 on behalf of Obama.
    - Claims no video evidence of plane hitting the pentagon on 9/11 exists, despite its existence.
    - Anti masker getting into screaming matches over not wearing a mask into Congress
    - Harrassing school shooting survivors as "actors" in false flag operations.
    - "White genocide" believer.
    - Has endorsed murdering democrat politicians for a few years now.
    - Big stop the steal/storm the Capitol supporter.
    - Wildfires are caused by secret Jewish space lasers.

How many of the 261 Republicans in Congress have denounced her? Surely at least a few, right?

So what's the list now?

- 2017 White Supremacist U ited the Right rally was an "inside job".
    - Claims no video evidence of plane hitting the pentagon on 9/11 exists, despite its existence.
    - Anti maker getting into screaming matches with security over not wearing a mask into Congress

How many of the 261 Republicans in Congress have denounced her? Surely at least a few, right?

But that's my point. The likes of Kevin McCarthy can cosy up to Trump again without getting too much flak. Cruz and his buddies can slink away from the Capitol mess. The rest of the GOP can stay schtum about Proud Boys/Oath Keepers/QAnon. Why? Because there is a rabid little dog in the corner yapping away frantically about all of these far right theories. She's a lightning rod for the GOP. A useful idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

But that's my point. The likes of Kevin McCarthy can cosy up to Trump again without getting too much flak. Cruz and his buddies can slink away from the Capitol mess. The rest of the GOP can stay schtum about Proud Boys/Oath Keepers/QAnon. Why? Because there is a rabid little dog in the corner yapping away frantically about all of these far right theories. She's a lightning rod for the GOP. A useful idiot.
    Oh absolutely.

Also for reference, a majority of the 211 Republicans I nthe House alone are/were in favour of ousting Liz Cheney for denouncing the Jan 6th terror attack.

I would appreciate if someone, especially someone more inclined to side with Republicans, can let me know how many (if any) have denounced or supported removal of Marjorie Taylor Greene, and if this is a very low number, why this is the case compared to the 107+ who supported removing Liz Cheney for her comments?

Because at the moment that just appears to show that the Republican party, at House level at least, is willing to accept pro terrorism, white supremacist conspiracy theorists while being quick to act against those who denounce these things (even if within their own ranks).

While this may not apply to every single one of them in the House, it certainly does for the majority of them that they are happy to openly be the party of white supremacy and terrorist extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

... they are happy to openly be the party of white supremacy and terrorist extremism.

Are we back to this again ? Change the record :rolleyes:
    The same was being claimed about the Dems in the summer except they were anti-white as opposed to white supremacy I believe.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Are we back to this again ? Change the record :rolleyes:
    The same was being claimed about the Dems in the summer except they were anti-white as opposed to white supremacy I believe.

Who made these claims?

Who made these claims?

Same people making the other claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Cody montana

So what's the list now for Greene now?

- 2017 White Supremacist Unite the Right rally was an "inside job".
    - Anti masker getting into screaming matches over not wearing a mask into Congress

She needs to be ejected.

• Advertisement

Same people making the other claim.

Names please.

Names please.

James, Tony , Rebecca, Fracois, Damian, Tony (the other one) etc etc

Okay. So you made up a theory.

Oh look, a Trumpist spouting nonsense.

And they were so confident with their nonsense that they used the :rolleyes: smiley. Bless.

Okay. So you made up a theory.

Not really, people who don't like the Dems called their support of the riots and attributed the rhetoric (of elements) of groups like blm as supporting terrorism and anti-white sentiment and now people who don't like the Reps are calling them supporters of terrorism for the capitol riot and white supremacists. Its just partisan name calling on both sides.

Oh look, a Trumpist spouting nonsense.

And they were so confident with their nonsense that they used the :rolleyes: smiley. Bless.

Trumpist, yeah whatever. :rolleyes: God bless.

Not really, people who don't like the Dems called their support of the riots and attributed the rhetoric (of elements) of groups like blm as supporting terrorism and anti-white sentiment and now people who don't like the Reps are calling them supporters of terrorism for the capitol riot and white supremacists. Its just partisan name calling on both sides.

Fair point. However, IMO, those calling some of the GOP politicians (including Trump) supporters of white supremacists have far more facts and logic to support their argument than those who accuse Dems of being anti White.

Trumpist, yeah whatever. :rolleyes: God bless.

So you think you fall into the "I'm not a fan of Trump but..." category instead is it?

So you think you fall into the "I'm not a fan of Trump but..." category instead is it?

No offence mate Im not bothered about your categories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fair point. However, IMO, those calling some of the GOP politicians (including Trump) supporters of white supremacists have far more facts and logic to support their argument than those who accuse Dems of being anti White.

Not if you get your facts from OANN

Advertisement